Author Topic: CT - March 5  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: CT - March 5
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2022, 07:49:41 AM »
What time do we want to meet up? I'm starting to plan out my day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 08:01:33 AM »
I will be in the area sometime after 3pm.  Arch Echo starts at 7:30 or doors are at 7:30?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2022, 08:02:39 AM »
Doors open at 6:30 or 7:30?

I'm planning to drive up mid afternoon, so I can meet anytime.

Edit: I think Arch Echo comes on at 7:30. Some of the shows have a time of 8pm, and I doubt they are opening the doors that late.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »
I'm going to head down (I'm in North Granby, about 45 minutes away) to get to Archie Moore's at 3:00-ish.  If no one wants to meet there, that's fine, but I'm going to at least stop for a drink.  Even if we go to the parking lot, it may be a good place to meet just for the people coming from out of town in case of traffic or delays or what not.  There's parking right in front and we can head over to the lot together if need be.  I'll be the handsome guy at the bar.  :) :) :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »
Cool,

I should be there around 3:30 or so.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2022, 09:10:19 AM »
3:30ish sounds good for me too

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2022, 09:36:00 AM »
I'm leaning more toward the 4:00ish range. If the show starts at 7:30, I don't see a whole lot of reason to get in the venue much before 7. The Oakdale is small and it doesn't take long to get to your seats. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »
That sounds great.  Filter in when you can.  I'll grab a seat at the bar!

(And anyone else reading this at the show, you're welcome!)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2022, 11:04:01 AM »
We need a group photo!

Offline Awaken

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2022, 11:32:15 AM »
I'm going to be running kind of late so I won't make the meet up - hope you all have a great time and enjoy the show!

Wanted to offer up my extra ticket one more time.  I'm cool w the extra space next to me but if someone's on the fence or in need - I've got one available

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2022, 11:32:46 AM »
We need a group photo!

I'm still bummed the one we got at the DTF meet up before the TA show at Radio City never got shared

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2022, 01:59:25 PM »
Got caught in traffic and my pit stop in New Haven was severely delayed thanks to pepes fuck up. Should be at Archie's in like 15 minutes

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2022, 02:18:00 PM »
I'm at Archie's  on the bathroom side.

At the bar.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2022, 06:23:59 AM »
How was the attendance at the show? Were they still vaccine carding people and enforcing masks?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2022, 06:54:36 AM »
Attendance  was very good.

I was asked for my vaccine card, but there was another line for people that didn't have one.. not sure what that was about.

There was no mask policy as far as I know. Maybe that's what the other line was for. Maybe if you weren't vaccinated you had to wear one. I don't know.

Anyways, I thought the show was great. Endless Sacrifice might have been the highlight of the night for me.

My buddy who took  the pic didn't get the memo for multiple, so I only have the one with the birds. I tried to upload it this morning before I headed to work, and the file was too large. I'll figure it out and get it to you guys either tonight or tomorrow.

It was great seeing everyone.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 06:43:12 PM by Chino »

Offline Awaken

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2022, 07:07:48 AM »
Great show last night - agreed w Chino, Endless Sacrifice is just amazing live I had never seen it.  I also didn't notice the 'piped in backing vocals' much at all, with the exception of when James nearly choked on his water and missed a few lines trying to recover.  He sounded pretty good/great on Bridges and was facing the audience pretty much through the chorus' so . . .

My 22nd show and if I had the time, I'd be in DC tonight to catch them again.  Just a phenomenally tight group and none of them fail to deliver.  MVP (as always) was JP - he's an absolute beast who delivers every time I see him play live.  Worth the ticket price on his own.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2022, 10:22:31 AM »
Awesome concert and awesome hanging with the DTF folks  :yarr

Only thing that sucked was the drive back to NJ this morning since it's pouring out.

Now to start editing my videos... the ushers WERE NOT out last night  :metal so I captured lots of good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqOL3exhixg < - The Ministry of Lost Souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJGdMBQLI0 < - Awaken the Master

Offline Kram

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2022, 11:00:14 AM »
Awesome concert and awesome hanging with the DTF folks  :yarr

Only thing that sucked was the drive back to NJ this morning since it's pouring out.

Now to start editing my videos... the ushers WERE NOT out last night  :metal so I captured lots of good stuff.

Nice videos Cramx.  I'll say it again - James definitely sounds better there, than he did here in San Diego (2nd show of the tour) - so he's getting better as the tour progresses.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2022, 02:10:28 PM »
Well, that was a fun show, if a little short. Made me nostalgic for my first (also somewhat short) DT show at PN09. Sat in a similar spot, even.

If anyone saw the lighter behind the mixing board, that was me. Everyone behind me seemed amused by that.

If a guy behind you in 205 then pulled out a phone light and you gave him a dirty look, to which he replied “old asshole,” and then you pulled out your phone when James said it was alright to... that guy was my dad.

Hope you guys had good wings at Archie Moore’s. I didn’t even think to try to meet up with you guys... I had enough trouble organizing the logistics for my own party.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2022, 02:20:33 PM »

Jim Powers has his work cut out for him this week, Marc. lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2022, 04:39:44 PM »

Jim Powers has his work cut out for him this week, Marc. lol

:lol just realized he was at the same Journey/Toto concert as me last week, but not sure he's ever been to Dream Theater

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2022, 05:47:14 AM »

I wish I had different footwear. I didn't know what the parking situation would be and whether or not we were going to be walking through slop  :lol

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2022, 06:22:53 AM »
The show was perfection. If it's even possible they just keep getting even better. It defies words, so I won't bother with many here. My feet still haven't touched the ground. I wish I was going back to see this tour but it won't be possible unless they add a fall leg. Hoping with all my heart.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2022, 06:24:04 AM »
Great show last night - agreed w Chino, Endless Sacrifice is just amazing live I had never seen it.  I also didn't notice the 'piped in backing vocals' much at all, with the exception of when James nearly choked on his water and missed a few lines trying to recover.  He sounded pretty good/great on Bridges and was facing the audience pretty much through the chorus' so . . .

My 22nd show and if I had the time, I'd be in DC tonight to catch them again.  Just a phenomenally tight group and none of them fail to deliver.  MVP (as always) was JP - he's an absolute beast who delivers every time I see him play live.  Worth the ticket price on his own.

I posted in the main tour thread, but I'll repeat what I said here; I thought James was strong.  I didn't catch the "choke", and while I spent a couple minutes trying to see if there was anything piped in, it really wasn't obvious, and the rest of the experience was so strong, I gave up after a while.  John P. is so good; I'm not sure how he does it, frankly (I'm not suggesting he's NOT, by the way).  I did notice that other than his volume pedal, he didn't spend a lot of time with his sound; he must be having someone switch his sound for him, which is always interesting for me.

I thought Jordan was solid; this is a minor thing, but the whole hydraulic keyboard stand thing is pretty cool.  I was also pretty impressed with Mangini; I think he's great, but sometimes (including on the new record) his playing sometimes is distracting to me, but there was none of that on Saturday.  They were just a tight, tight, unit and it made for a good show. 

TCOT was probably the song I was least looking forward too, and yet it was clearly a highlight of the show, and deserved it's spot as the "encore".  Goes to show, they know what they're doing, and I should stick to selling trains.  :) :) :)

Shout out to friends, old and new; really enjoyable day, not just the show.  Good to see all of you (wish I could've met some of the other people that attended as well).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2022, 06:37:54 AM »
The show was perfection. If it's even possible they just keep getting even better. It defies words, so I won't bother with many here. My feet still haven't touched the ground. I wish I was going back to see this tour but it won't be possible unless they add a fall leg. Hoping with all my heart.

Totes! I was sitting there the whole time thinking "How in the fuck are they still sounding THIS good?". It goes against all logic. They sound just as good now as they ever have IMO. 

I thought Jordan was solid; this is a minor thing, but the whole hydraulic keyboard stand thing is pretty cool.  I was also pretty impressed with Mangini; I think he's great, but sometimes (including on the new record) his playing sometimes is distracting to me, but there was none of that on Saturday.  They were just a tight, tight, unit and it made for a good show. 

Manghini was slaying it that night. I was watching him more than anyone else. He was beating the shit out of that kit, man. I mean full-on smashing those symbols. I felt every bass drum hit in my chest. I couldn't get enough.

To your comment on JP and his tones... I think there was a lady in the booth controlling that. I pick the seat that I do at every DT show because it gives me a view of the sound booth. I love watching the light guy. He plays his rig like Jordan plays his keys. It's a blast to watch. Anyway, there was someone else in the booth who was just as busy, but was definitely not controlling the lighting. It was hard for me to see her as she was on the further side of the booth, but she may have been controlling effects for both JP and James. I couldn't see Myung's feet from where I was. Was he still controlling all his own stuff?

I too like Jordan's tilt stand. I think it's cool. And I don't care what anyone says about it... I love seeing him take center stage with JP and JM with his keytar. It's fun.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2022, 06:54:58 AM »
It was nice meeting everyone,

The show was great, Arch echo sounded good, though they are one of those bands that after a few tracks I'm ready to move on. I think their 25 minute set was good enough though.

DT sounded great, I got a little worries when James was choking on water 3 minutes into the show, but I'm glad he was fine and sounded better than I have ever heard him in the 13 years I've been seeing DT. JP was his usual self, Myung was great and seemed to be enjoying himself out there. Jordan! He was amazing all night, but Endless Sacrifice was just  :hefdaddy, biggest surprise of the night for me and my god does the song sounds good live. MM was great, as usual. Just a really good performance from everyone.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2022, 06:55:17 AM »
I thought James was strong.

Yes. He has so much improved vs recent years. He carried the vocal lines beautifully.

Jordan! He was amazing all night

I enjoyed his performance most of all. I was up toward the front on his side on the aisle and basically spent the entire show worshipping at his feet. What an otherworldly atmosphere he creates. He is clearly not of this world. 💫

They were just a tight, tight, unit and it made for a good show.

💯 

Shout out to friends, old and new;

(wish I could've met some of the other people that attended as well).

Likewise  :angel:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 10:17:27 AM by crystalstars17 »

Offline Awaken

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2022, 07:26:38 AM »

The show was great, Arch echo sounded good, though they are one of those bands that after a few tracks I'm ready to move on. I think their 25 minute set was good enough though.

Exactly my sentiments.  In awe of their playing, but the songs kind of bled together after awhile and when they said that was it for them and DT was up next, I was ready to move on. 

I posted in the main tour thread, but I'll repeat what I said here; I thought James was strong.  I didn't catch the "choke", and while I spent a couple minutes trying to see if there was anything piped in, it really wasn't obvious, and the rest of the experience was so strong, I gave up after a while.  John P. is so good; I'm not sure how he does it, frankly (I'm not suggesting he's NOT, by the way).  I did notice that other than his volume pedal, he didn't spend a lot of time with his sound; he must be having someone switch his sound for him, which is always interesting for me.

This struck me on Saturday, as well.  Usually see him interact with his board way more.  I figured his guitar tech must have been doing things remotely for him.  I always grab a seat directly in front of the board at Oakdale, the sound/light guys are usually pretty friendly - in another life that was the career I wanted to take so hearing how it worked out for someone else is kind of cool. 

Also really loved the stripped down/simple stage set up.  Will definitely be making time next leg to meet up with some folks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2022, 07:37:32 AM »

So you mean this isn’t the casting call for Thunder Down Under??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2022, 07:39:33 AM »

Also really loved the stripped down/simple stage set up.  Will definitely be making time next leg to meet up with some folks!

I really loved the stage setup this tour. It felt so full despite there being nothing to it. They've really nailed the video/lighting combo.   

I was commenting to my buddy while leaving the show that I do miss the monitor setup of the ToT tour and the few tours after that. I liked when they'd have camera guys zoom in on JP's hands during a solo or something so you could see it in the back. Or if you were on the right side of the audience, they'd put JM on the screen on that side so you could get a good view of him too.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2022, 07:51:26 AM »

So you mean this isn’t the casting call for Thunder Down Under??

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2022, 07:59:00 AM »
 :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2022, 11:11:57 AM »
Speaking of sound(s), does anyone know what the box is on James' mic stand?  I know there was this thing-y that He flipped down after The Alien, I assume that was something to do with the effects, but there's a black box about halfway down the mic stand, and I'm curious what that's about. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2022, 02:38:32 PM »
I'm thinking maybe a power source (if the top part is really for effects).

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2022, 11:22:21 AM »
Does anyone here have video of the entire song for Invisible Monster and/or About to Crash from Saturday night? I've found bits and pieces online and have a few fragments of my own, but nobody has posted these songs in entirety.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their videos online - especially to cramx3 who posted nearly the entire show!