Author Topic: VIKINGS - VALHALLA  (Read 3543 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
VIKINGS - VALHALLA
« on: February 26, 2022, 10:32:18 AM »
I've watched the first two episodes of this and thus far it's been pretty good. It's impossible to try and not compare it to 'Vikings'.....I think anyone who watched that series can agree those first few seasons with Travis Fimmel as Ragnar were captivating and just incredible and won't be matched.

BUT...I will say the main characters they have in this incarnation are doing their part to draw you in. And, it seems to be a neat storyline they're going for. The production value and the aesthetics of the show are right on par with what Vikings presented so that's a huge plus as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Spiritus

Re: VIKINGS - VALHALLA
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:43:28 AM »
Watching the first episode right now. Liking it so far.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 02:34:22 PM »
On episode 2, should make good fodder for my covid binging today.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 06:11:31 PM »
Man.. That girl that plays Freydis is just amazing... And fucking tall...

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 07:11:44 PM »
Well, just finished whole season. Really liked it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 07:55:44 PM »

On episode 7 now... Will have it done tonight

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 10:56:22 PM »

On episode 7 now... Will have it done tonight

I’m on Ep. 6. Eyes getting heavy though. I will say I’m liking it more than I thought I would   It’s certainly found it’s own voice aside from the original show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 08:10:13 PM »
Finished it up. Solid season/series. Talk about just ending it though? I Haven’t read much on it so I’m wondering if there’s another season already finished or coming soon?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 08:40:57 PM »
Finished it up. Solid season/series. Talk about just ending it though? I Haven’t read much on it so I’m wondering if there’s another season already finished or coming soon?

Right? They left that open for like 5 more seasons at least

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 05:00:25 AM »
I caught the first episode at the weekend. So far so good. I just hope the characters turn out to be strong and distinct enough to stand alone in this show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 07:57:37 AM »
I caught the first episode at the weekend. So far so good. I just hope the characters turn out to be strong and distinct enough to stand alone in this show.

I think you'll be satisfied with the characters. Again, it's tough not to want to compare it to Vikings and those characters/actors but as the show goes on this batch of characters really develops their own identity.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 08:57:18 AM »
I haven't read much about this show, is this the sequel to Vikings? or a spinoff? I'm assuming that one obviously needs to watch the original Vikings to get a sense of this show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
I haven't read much about this show, is this the sequel to Vikings? or a spinoff? I'm assuming that one obviously needs to watch the original Vikings to get a sense of this show.

It's a sequel, set 100 years afterwards. I'm not sure if you'll need to know all the happenings from the original show, I suspect not, although there has been a bit of name dropping in the first episode. It's probably just to make some sort of connection with the other show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2022, 10:25:37 AM »

It's a sequel, set 100 years afterwards. I'm not sure if you'll need to know all the happenings from the original show, I suspect not, although there has been a bit of name dropping in the first episode. It's probably just to make some sort of connection with the other show.

Yeah. Outside of a couple name drops and familiar locations you wouldn’t need to have watched the original. It’s not going to take away from the viewing experience.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 10:33:30 AM »
I didn't watch more than a few episodes of the original, yet enjoyed this very much.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »
I didn't watch more than a few episodes of the original, yet enjoyed this very much.

RJ….you should do yourself a favor and watch at minimum the first three seasons. I loved the whole series but the first couple seasons were great!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2022, 01:23:09 PM »
Yep, I’d also recommend the original show. There are some great characters - Ragnar, Rollo, Floki, Lagertha, and some great escapades.

I’m on episode 2 of this new one now. I like the way they are setting things up for future events (presumably).  :D

One thing I like about these shows is that they mostly use unknown actors. I think it stops me from bringing any baggage from shows the actors may have been in previously, so I can enjoy this for what it is.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
One thing I like about these shows is that they mostly use unknown actors. I think it stops me from bringing any baggage from shows the actors may have been in previously, so I can enjoy this for what it is.

100% agree. It adds to the period centric value of the shows.......if I saw Chris Evans or someone like that in these roles it'd completely take away from it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 01:33:35 AM »
Another couple of episodes watched last night. The different characters are starting to develop in their own right. Leif Eriksson is an early favourite. He's like a thinking man's viking. :) I like the fact that he's reluctant to fight, but he will if he has to.

I'm also wondering if we are going to see a Joffrey 2.0 with the young king guy.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 09:29:18 PM »
I started watching this recently and just saw episode 4, The Bridge, and wow was that a great episode.  Now I wish there were more than just 4 more episodes to go.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2022, 01:30:32 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed the whole season a lot. It maintained the production quality from the original Vikings show, but the new characters are fresh and interesting enough to make me want to see more.

BTW - I noticed a show come up on Netflix - The Last Kingdom. It looks like a similar sort of show, but just wondering if anyone has watched it and how does it compare?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2022, 02:45:27 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed the whole season a lot. It maintained the production quality from the original Vikings show, but the new characters are fresh and interesting enough to make me want to see more.

BTW - I noticed a show come up on Netflix - The Last Kingdom. It looks like a similar sort of show, but just wondering if anyone has watched it and how does it compare?

I finished the season yesterday and continued to enjoy the rest.  Interested in where it's going next.

I've seen the same ads for The Last Kingdom too - maybe I'll check it out at some point.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2022, 10:20:58 PM »
I just finished a 2 week binge of the 5 seasons of The Last Kingdom. LOVED IT!  :hefdaddy Looking forward to the movie next year on NF!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2022, 10:04:51 PM »
I just finished a 2 week binge of the 5 seasons of The Last Kingdom. LOVED IT!  :hefdaddy Looking forward to the movie next year on NF!

OK I'll definitely be checking this out soon. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 11:04:24 PM »

Last Kingdom season 1 minor spoilers below

I just finished season 1 tonight.  I like it... not enough to feel the need to binge, but I probably could binge it if I had the time to at the moment.  But maybe it wasn't so good to watch it right after Vikings, because I totally found myself on the side of the Danes.  I liked Ubba's character and wished he'd been around longer; obviously I knew he wasn't going to kill Uhtred but I was rooting for him to win the fight somehow.  I was wanting Uhtred to join back up with Ragnar and Bryda.  I also thought Uhtred was kind of a moron (aside from his fighting abilities/battle plans) until the last episode or two.  They probably needed a few more episodes to develop characters more; I bet if I'd read the books I would have identified with him a little more.  But despite all that, I find it really enjoyable.  I also think the Danes' accents are way better than the characters in Vikings.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 01:02:32 PM »

OK, I'm totally into this now.  Midway through season 2 and the episode I just watched (Dunholm) was amazing.