Author Topic: Should DT implement Tool's no camera policy?  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Bluefish

Re: Should DT implement Tool's no camera policy?
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 06:16:03 PM »
I've never seen anyone kicked out of a Dream Theater concert for taking videos or photos, but, at almost every show I've been to, security is constantly telling people to stop doing so.  Interestingly, prior to the start of almost all, if not all, of the Dream Theater shows I've attended, there is typically an announcement that the venue's policy prohibits photos and videos during the show.  However, when I've seen other bands at the same venues, there is no such announcement or enforcement.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2022, 06:32:14 PM »
  However, when I've seen other bands at the same venues, there is no such announcement or enforcement.

This is shameful for the band if this is true. (Not true in your experience but if true that it came from the band)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 08:02:49 PM »
Should DT implement Tool's no camera policy?

They haven't already? Seriously? DT has the second harshest camera policy I've come across (second to Tool). I have had a friend tossed out for taking pictures, and no, it wasn't Astonishing. Honestly, Tool's policy is far better. The last song of the show he'll tell security to stand down and let everybody film as much as they want. Best of both worlds. Overbearing security for DT shows has been a recurring source of hatred and disgust, honestly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 10:04:28 PM »
This thread is an interesting read, if only to see how people approach the concert experience differently.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online NoFred

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2022, 11:22:51 PM »
Nope, they should welcome and encourage audience participation with cameras….

D/T was first show with kids, and they were both excoriated by ushers for checking phones, ok fine I blame venue but wtf? This time seats in pit and lots of audience recording, and no complaints, was awesome and kids loved it… band should accept they’re multi-generational now really need to not care and embrace the exposure. Trust me, kids just want to brag and share that they’re there  :facepalm: :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2022, 12:06:22 AM »
This thread is an interesting read, if only to see how people approach the concert experience differently.

It's the only reason why I am following... ;D
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2022, 12:11:14 AM »
Should DT implement Tool's no camera policy?

They haven't already? Seriously? DT has the second harshest camera policy I've come across (second to Tool). I have had a friend tossed out for taking pictures, and no, it wasn't Astonishing. Honestly, Tool's policy is far better. The last song of the show he'll tell security to stand down and let everybody film as much as they want. Best of both worlds. Overbearing security for DT shows has been a recurring source of hatred and disgust, honestly.

When The Aristocrats came to our local venue, there were signs on the walls and in the entrance that stated, no video recording. Picture taking was allowed, but no video recording. There was a guy in the front row recording one of their songs, and after the song, Brian Beller told the guy to put his phone away and mentioned no recording and that the band requested this for the audience to experience the show. Like with their eyes, and to take it all in, and to leave that show as a memory that one will look back upon only in their memory. To them, it's more meaningful to experience a show that way. That is why they requested no video recordings.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2022, 06:58:59 AM »
Man I completely forgot about the Aristocrats show. I had a similar experience when I saw them years ago in Tampa. They paused between songs to ask people to stop recording.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2022, 08:48:45 AM »
I'd vote yes. Nothing is more annoying that some idiot in front of me holding his phone up in front of my face all evening. I don't understand why people need to do this. A quick selfie or 2 to show you were there? No problem. Holding your phone up ALL F*CKING NIGHT? Why? The footage will be awful, and if there's something wrong with you that you won't remember having been there until you check your phone in the morning, then you should probably check your alcohol consumption too, because I guarantee that your phone wasn't the only obnoxious thing about your behaviour.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2022, 09:33:04 AM »
We were in the front row back in October 19' for the DoT tour and they strongly advised against cameras in that front section.  Of course people still did it, including my GF at the time.  I just put my phone away.  I'm really not for or against it, but I can understand how annoying it can be.  What are ya gonna do?  Can't tell everyone to leave their phones at the door.  Bands these days need to adapt to the times.  People have phones with cameras.  It goes with the territory of being a performer.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2022, 09:44:52 AM »
  However, when I've seen other bands at the same venues, there is no such announcement or enforcement.

This is shameful for the band if this is true. (Not true in your experience but if true that it came from the band)

It's 99.9% confirmed IMO.  DT have the policy, not the venue.  It just depends on if the venue enforces it.  I've seen signs at some shows, I've had ushers be terrible at some shows, and I have half/half where the ushers were out for awhile and then stopped, and have had shows with no ushers at all. 

band should accept they’re multi-generational now really need to not care and embrace the exposure. Trust me, kids just want to brag and share that they’re there  :facepalm: :metal

I agree, generally, about the exposure part.  But for DT, usually their online exposure of their live music is followed by a lot of people ripping on JLB.  I truly believe this is why the band doesn't want people using cameras.  And this seemed to only become a thing after MP left the band.  I've only seen a few of MP's acts since leaving DT (SOA, TWD, TSF) and there's never been a no camera policy or ushers at those shows. 

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2022, 10:29:01 AM »
So. Officially the band says no video?  Just to be clear.

Offline Buckeye69

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2022, 10:47:58 AM »

The 2 shows I've been to on this tour, pictures were allowed(no flash) and so long as you weren't doing extended recording video was ok.  A little bit here and there kind of thing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2022, 11:10:06 AM »
Tha band made no mention of it in Seattle,  and security was laid back.  I didn't see very many people glued to their phone, and I didn't see anybody that had too much to drink.
Of course at $15:00 a beer, who can afford to get buzzed.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Buckeye69

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2022, 11:23:19 AM »
The only time I've ever had issues with DT pics was on TA tour.  Of course we all did.   There was one other time(I think on the DT12 tour) in Detroit where they said no pics and that it was the  band's policy.  I thought to myself you're high dude.  I had just seen them the night before in the front row and took a bunch of pics and nobody said a word.  It was obviously the venue's policy. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2022, 11:37:26 AM »
I have never heard of DT having a "policy" about this (although I didn't go to any TA shows).  Nor have I ever seen anyone at a DT show be told to stop using a phone to take photos or video.  If they have a "policy," they don't talk about it in Southern California.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2022, 11:41:10 AM »

You won't see the band talk about it, but it's quite clear the band not the venue is the one with the policy from my experiences (quite a few) and all the ones I've read about over the years on this forum.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2022, 11:46:21 AM »
Tha band made no mention of it in Seattle,  and security was laid back.  I didn't see very many people glued to their phone, and I didn't see anybody that had too much to drink.
Of course at $15:00 a beer, who can afford to get buzzed.  :lol

Nowadays I get buzzed on 2! Yay for me.  I had 3 at the preshow in Denver, haven't been lit like that in a long time.  ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2022, 12:12:25 PM »
We'll find out in eight days when I go to the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford. I know that the Oakdale does NOT have a standing "no cameras" policy.  Their only prohibition is for PROFESSIONAL cameras; you're allowed to use personal cameras as venue policy.   Video requires venue permission, but since that is different from show to show, that tells me it's the ARTIST making that determination.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2022, 12:16:42 PM »
We'll find out in eight days when I go to the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford. I know that the Oakdale does NOT have a standing "no cameras" policy.  Their only prohibition is for PROFESSIONAL cameras; you're allowed to use personal cameras as venue policy.   Video requires venue permission, but since that is different from show to show, that tells me it's the ARTIST making that determination.

I've seen all kind of acts at the Oakdale, both in the theater and in the rotunda. The Astonishing tour was the only show I can ever remember there being a 'no cameras' rule in place.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2022, 12:29:03 PM »
I have never heard of DT having a "policy" about this (although I didn't go to any TA shows).  Nor have I ever seen anyone at a DT show be told to stop using a phone to take photos or video.  If they have a "policy," they don't talk about it in Southern California.

Yep.  Didn't see anything on the video screens about no video filming prior to the show.  Took some pictures at the stage set with the album backdrop at the show without issues and off we go.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2022, 12:40:33 PM »
I haven't seen this tour yet, I would guess it's possible they've loosened up for this tour.  Has anyone experienced the ushers so far this year?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2022, 02:12:49 PM »
For me personally, I’ve never cared for taking photos/video. So, it wouldn’t affect me. However, there are fans who really enjoy it. Like TAC, who’s been doing it for decades! And I wouldn’t want a fan to miss out on that experience. They paid for their ticket and should be allowed to do that if it’s what they want. The one caveat is that they shouldn’t  be interfering in the enjoyment of other fans. If you aren’t holding your phone up in front of me the whole time, then we’re cool.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »
I don't understand the harm. At the end of the day it hurts NO ONE. DT has been and always will be bootlegged. Funny part is most of their bootlegs come from the sound guys!  :lol :lol :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2022, 03:22:17 PM »
I was harassed in both Oakland and Denver. I didn't want to take a lot of video as I just want to just focus and groove. But I like to share the experience with some family and friends.  You need more than 30 seconds to get a real measure from a DT song. Anyway I didn't get that. I am not mad, and if the band doesn't want me to video, I will respect that. But otherwise, I feel like I am respectful, even if I take a minute or 2. I hold the phone face level, so it's really not getting in anyone's view.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2022, 04:03:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure as far as audio is concerned the DT camp should take a closer look at their own personnel leaking soundboard material. Unless you folks are sneaking your own sounboards in?  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2022, 04:10:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure as far as audio is concerned the DT camp should take a closer look at their own personnel leaking soundboard material. Unless you folks are sneaking your own sounboards in?  :lol

Do you know this for a fact or just assuming it's the DT sounboard people and not maybe people who work for the venue?

I was harassed in both Oakland and Denver. I didn't want to take a lot of video as I just want to just focus and groove. But I like to share the experience with some family and friends.  You need more than 30 seconds to get a real measure from a DT song. Anyway I didn't get that. I am not mad, and if the band doesn't want me to video, I will respect that. But otherwise, I feel like I am respectful, even if I take a minute or 2. I hold the phone face level, so it's really not getting in anyone's view.

That sucks.  Hope I don't experience that in CT.  For the NJ show, being in the front, I don't plan on taking any serious video/pictures.  I want to just soak that experience in, but I would love something as some sort of memorabilia via a pic at least of being so close.  I know for the TA tour when I was in the front row I snapped a pic of the band bowing at the end.  Something similar to that would be fine for that show, but I do hope to get quality footage when I see them in CT. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2022, 04:36:21 PM »
Do you know this for a fact or just assuming it's the DT sounboard people and not maybe people who work for the venue?
Yeah I'm in doubt about this too. There are plenty of boots of shows in circulation, but only a handful that are in circulation that are soundboards aside from what have been released as official bootlegs (and by this, I'm not including radio/TV broadcasts). So Glasser, what sort of secret DT soundboard bootleg trading group are you involved with? I want in!!!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2022, 06:09:48 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 09:00:59 PM by Glasser »

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2022, 01:02:51 PM »
Let's talk about people who move/dance to the music in ways that don't make sense.  :rollin

Lady next to me in Akron was doing the groovy hand/arm/rolling hills wave to everything, and it was really jarring and annoying, lol.  I wanted to be like "you're enjoying wrong," hahah.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2022, 01:10:23 PM »
I gotta move more than just banging my head.. just sayin..