Author Topic: My mom passed away yesterday  (Read 5774 times)

Offline HOF

Re: My mom passed away yesterday
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2022, 04:07:39 PM »
So sorry to hear this, Kev. I rarely check this part of the forum but just saw this. My deepest condolences.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2022, 06:44:03 PM »
Same here...just saw this, and I can only offer my deepest condolences to you...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2022, 06:55:35 PM »
Sorry for your loss Kev, it's going to be a tough road ahead, but I hope you are able to navigate it well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2022, 08:42:49 PM »
Herrick is sorry to hear of this. It hits very close to home as my mother died last December.

And I'm sorry to hear about Stadler's mother's condition as well. My mother wasn't officially diagnosed but they said she was in the early stages of dementia. Not the same thing as Alzheimer's but still...very difficult for family members to go through.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2022, 06:38:36 AM »
Very sorry, Kev. I hope her memory and your family and friends give you strength.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2022, 01:22:11 PM »
vtgrad, I love it. Apologies for bringing up something so morbid as Pet Sematary, but when my cat died I paraphrased Jud when I talked to my daughter about it, as it was her first real experience with death (coincidentally, similarly to the impetus to King writing the story). Death is when the pain stops and when the good memories begin.

That quote from King, which occurred to me a few months after I received that advice, actually gives me a warm feeling inside (I'm a huge King fan).  I think the "time heals all wounds" quote is just a bit off in it's execution, apologies to whomever coined it... perhaps the quote should be "time gives us fond memories, and fond memories cleanse our wounds".  A cleansed wound that is deep will likely leave a scar, and it's our scars that give us our character. 

Kev, the music idea was likely a very good one.  To this day, when I hear/play Hourglass or State of Grace, I tear-up a bit.  Blasted those two songs on the way to the fishing spot I was talking about.  Good call on your part...

I was thinking the other day about this thread, and about how we relate to each other (human to human; not specifically DTF).  On it's face, if a reader isn't looking deeply at what we're saying to each other here, that reader may think that by sharing our own experiences with Kev we're making the thread about us (posters in the thread) instead of about Kev.  That interpretation couldn't be further from the truth I think.  We communicate to each other through experiences and speech... and by speaking to Kev about our experiences, we help to relate to each other and to bear each other's burdens.  That what I see us all doing here... helping Kev bear this burden by sharing our own experiences.  Just wanted to share that...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2022, 06:32:50 PM »
Nope, all good.  Commiserate away!  :tup :tup

And I get that we horse around a lot here, but I feel that a thread like this ought to be joke-free.  I had a much more strongly worded post in that regard about it yesterday (that I later edited), but this feels like a "read the room" type thread.  It's not the time or place for jokes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2022, 07:41:41 PM »
Update:

Mom's visitation was yesterday, funeral is Tuesday.  I don't know how people get through this when a parent goes way too young.  As crushing as this has been, I am taking solace in the fact that my mom was 74 and did everything she wanted to do and went with having no regrets.  Many lose a parent without them being so lucky.  I cannot imagine.  :( :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2022, 06:12:49 AM »
Update:

Mom's visitation was yesterday, funeral is Tuesday.  I don't know how people get through this when a parent goes way too young.  As crushing as this has been, I am taking solace in the fact that my mom was 74 and did everything she wanted to do and went with having no regrets.  Many lose a parent without them being so lucky.  I cannot imagine.  :( :(

My mom passed away at age 64.  8 months after retiring.  It bugs me to this day that she couldn't enjoy all she worked for.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2022, 03:32:41 PM »
Update:

My mom passed away at age 64.  8 months after retiring.  It bugs me to this day that she couldn't enjoy all she worked for.

:( :(

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2022, 05:17:18 PM »
Oh, I am very sorry. My dad died at 62. So hard. It will get better. Hugs :heart

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2022, 09:49:58 AM »
Update:

Visitation was the toughest part for my family for Dad's passing... he'd touched many, many lives and the stories that we heard (many of which we didn't know) made the pain a bit sharper for those hours.  The Funeral, in all honesty, was a burden lifted in a sense.  Testimonies given and songs sung praising God for the life that was given to my father and for the Salvation found in Christ.  My dad was 23 days from his 75th birthday when he passed... that is a good life span... based on my own experience, I think you're approaching it with the right thoughts Kev.

Help your family as much as you can with the burden of this loss and you will see your own burden made lighter as well.  I'm sure you are already seeing that truth...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2022, 06:46:48 PM »
Honestly, this still doesn't seem real.  But it is. 

As difficult as the visitation Saturday and funeral today both were, being surrounded by our large family and having that massive support helped make both a little less awful. 

I didn't think I'd have free time this evening, but Dad just wanted to go home and sleep.  I can't say I blame him.  He had been up since 2 am in anticipation of today.  :( :(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2022, 06:47:26 PM »
I feel bad for him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2022, 07:02:49 PM »
Honestly, this still doesn't seem real.  But it is. 

As difficult as the visitation Saturday and funeral today both were, being surrounded by our large family and having that massive support helped make both a little less awful. 

I didn't think I'd have free time this evening, but Dad just wanted to go home and sleep.  I can't say I blame him.  He had been up since 2 am in anticipation of today.  :( :(

I remember this feeling as well. It doesn't get easier Kev. Be there for your Dad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2022, 09:13:13 AM »
I'm two days late, but these last couple posts are impactful.  My heart is with you and your family, Kev.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2022, 04:50:57 PM »
Thanks (again!) for the sentiment, everyone.  It is very much appreciated.  :) :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »

I remember this feeling as well. It doesn't get easier Kev. Be there for your Dad.

Over three months later, this is so damn true. 

Not trying to bump this to throw myself a pity party, but I think we are all still really struggling more days than not, especially my dad.  A lady friend at work asked me the other day how my dad and I and everyone was doing and I was honest and said, "I'd love to say we are all doing okay, but we really aren't."  I try to find myself as many distractions as possible, from listening and talking music (like here, for example) to hanging with friends when I can, but it just feels like a piece of me has been ripped away that I will never get back.  I would never quit my job on a whim, but I swear there are days at work where I am so tired and mentally beaten that I just want to quit right there on the spot and go home and sleep for like two years.  :( :(

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2022, 07:35:48 PM »

Over three months later, this is so damn true. 

Not trying to bump this to throw myself a pity party, but I think we are all still really struggling more days than not, especially my dad.  A lady friend at work asked me the other day how my dad and I and everyone was doing and I was honest and said, "I'd love to say we are all doing okay, but we really aren't."  I try to find myself as many distractions as possible, from listening and talking music (like here, for example) to hanging with friends when I can, but it just feels like a piece of me has been ripped away that I will never get back.  I would never quit my job on a whim, but I swear there are days at work where I am so tired and mentally beaten that I just want to quit right there on the spot and go home and sleep for like two years.  :( :(
:(
I know these feelings all too well. I know it's isn't quite the same, but when my grandfather passed away 9 years ago I felt terrible for a long time. Still feel it, especially when I visit with my grandmother. I find it can help to talk about good memories with loved ones. It doesn't make the pain go away, but I find it helps.

At any rate, my heart goes out to you and your family. Hang in there.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2022, 09:13:58 PM »

:(
I know these feelings all too well. I know it's isn't quite the same, but when my grandfather passed away 9 years ago I felt terrible for a long time. Still feel it, especially when I visit with my grandmother. I find it can help to talk about good memories with loved ones. It doesn't make the pain go away, but I find it helps.

At any rate, my heart goes out to you and your family. Hang in there.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2022, 09:19:32 PM »
Kev, so sorry this is hitting you so hard. I still feel the same about my grandmother. In fact, the last time I saw her, we put her on a plane at the same gate we flew out of on Friday. I was feeling it big time.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2022, 09:24:51 PM »
I feel ya.  I know I get crabby at times in various threads (see: the hockey thread), and not making excuses, but my mood tends to really swing lately, and I am not someone who has ever been prone to mood swings.  Ugh.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2022, 09:27:14 PM »
Not for nothing, but you (and Gary) have always been crabby in the hockey thread. I'm not cutting you any excuse there. :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2022, 03:27:01 PM »
Kev, So very sorry I'm just seeing this and my heart is with you. Its an unexplainable feeling unless you've been there. Sending strength and healing vibes your way.  :heart  :'(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2022, 04:09:12 PM »
Kev, So very sorry I'm just seeing this and my heart is with you. Its an unexplainable feeling unless you've been there. Sending strength and healing vibes your way.  :heart  :'(

Appreciate that, sir.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2022, 06:16:30 PM »
Kev, I just saw the thread. Sorry for your loss. That hit me hard too and I can understand what you feel because I lost my dad at 2017 almost for same reasons, plus he had serious diabetes that prevented him healing.

No matter what life goes on for us. All I can do is remembering good days with him and be there for my family.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2022, 07:35:46 PM »
Kev, I just saw the thread. Sorry for your loss. That hit me hard too and I can understand what you feel because I lost my dad at 2017 almost for same reasons, plus he had serious diabetes that prevented him healing.

No matter what life goes on for us. All I can do is remembering good days with him and be there for my family.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2022, 10:48:55 AM »
What Kev is going through is awful as I am too. My mom was the one that was always listening to music when I was a kid. I remember her dancing listening to specific albums like Alan Parsons turn of a friendly card, Lennon and Yoko Double Fantasy, and the Doors. The last time I was with her before she passed on Mother's Day I sat and played her a bunch of these songs in the hospital but she just stared through me while they were playing. I still wonder if she was able to recognize them. She passed from diabetes complications and her mind was vacant in her last days. Losing a parent leaves such an awful void, she would have been 72 a week after she passed. Kev, I know how you're feeling and my heart is with you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »
Tom, that's awful, and I'm sorry to hear that. That's heartbreaking.

When my brother in law passed last summer, we made sure to play some Creedence, as he talked about them all of the time.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2022, 04:12:53 PM »
Tom, that's awful, and I'm sorry to hear that. That's heartbreaking.

When my brother in law passed last summer, we made sure to play some Creedence, as he talked about them all of the time.

Thanks Tim, it’s hard, real hard. I’m very sorry to hear about your brother in law, that’s absolutely awful. I’m not high jacking this thread Kev, I’m just relating to you my friend.  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2022, 05:43:54 PM »
No worries at all.  That is a crushing story and you have my condolences as well.  2022 is just the worst.  I just wish we could restart this entire year.  :censored :censored

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2022, 06:22:26 PM »
What Kev is going through is awful as I am too. My mom was the one that was always listening to music when I was a kid. I remember her dancing listening to specific albums like Alan Parsons turn of a friendly card, Lennon and Yoko Double Fantasy, and the Doors. The last time I was with her before she passed on Mother's Day I sat and played her a bunch of these songs in the hospital but she just stared through me while they were playing. I still wonder if she was able to recognize them. She passed from diabetes complications and her mind was vacant in her last days. Losing a parent leaves such an awful void, she would have been 72 a week after she passed. Kev, I know how you're feeling and my heart is with you.

Jesus Tom, that's a touching heartbreaking story.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2022, 12:33:49 AM »
I don't often look in this section. I lost my mum 7 years ago. I don't know much about much, truth be told, but wishing you both peace and strength.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.