Author Topic: My mom passed away yesterday  (Read 5705 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: My mom passed away yesterday
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2022, 06:01:20 PM »
*internet hug*

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2022, 08:00:13 PM »
So sorry for your loss, you have my condolences. :hug:

Hang in there, it's never easy losing a close family member.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 08:22:02 PM »
So sorry for your loss, Kev. Losing my mum was the most difficult experience of my life, so I understand the devastation you are feeling. Glad to hear you have a close-knit family to help you deal with this.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 09:00:02 PM »
As someone who doesn't post a lot of personal details about my life here (or anywhere on the internet for that matter) I truly appreciate when someone feels comfortable enough with this community to write something as meaningful as Kev did, and feel my heart warmed by all the responses.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 09:12:35 PM »
Kev, I am so sorry for your loss.

At times like this, I get so frustrated that I wish I could say something else. I feel helpless knowing the pain you must be feeling, and the only thing I can do is offer up prayers, and simply the famous quote, “Empathy is your pain in my heart.” But I can’t come up with anything original. Just know that I do feel for you and I’m so sorry.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2022, 09:55:14 PM »
Oh shit, I'm sorry man.

I can't even imagine.  :-\
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2022, 07:44:11 AM »
It sounds like you have family and friends to reminisce with...don't hesitate to lean on them.  Getting used to the void will be difficult. Thirty seven years from now, you'll remember everything about this week and next, good and bad, and then go 'man, of all things, I still remember doing that silly Rush song ranking on DTF, and cracking up at times ;)'

Best wishes
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2022, 08:01:25 AM »
My thoughts are with you and your family. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. Nothing but best wishes from me and I hope that being part of this community can provide at least some distraction. :heart
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2022, 09:03:23 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  There are no words that can adequately convey relief, I know.  Just be kind to yourself as you move through this next part and trust that with some time you will be left with special memories and (hopefully) the companionship of others who knew and loved your mom too. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2022, 09:04:16 AM »
I know I said, "Thanks ahead of time for any condolences and well wishes," but thanks again, really. I appreciate every single one of the responses in this thread.

To add a bit more, as crushing as this continues to be, it was time. Mom was not getting any better, and had been saying for weeks that mornings (right when they'd wake up) and evenings (getting ready for bed) had become a nightmare for both her and my dad, who was her caretaker.  I never said this until last night when talking to my dad, but for weeks I had been thinking, "Please don't let this get to where Mom has to go into a nursing home."  I conveyed that thought to Dad last night and he was in agreement.  Now that we don't all wish she were still here, but I think you all know what I mean.

My grandma (on my Mom's side) passed away in 2013 at the age of 103 and she spent the last 10 years of her life in a nursing home, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  My mom pretty much went to see her there pretty often (probably every other day) when she could for those last 10 years, and I know she would not have wanted to end up in a place like that.  So, I am very thankful that it never came to that.   

She went at the right time.  And we - me, Dad, my brothers, her two still-living brothers (my uncles) both of whom are in their 80s now - were all at her side when she finally let go peacefully.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 09:18:02 AM »
My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and she's really starting to decline. It's heartbreaking, and part of me wants to hold my mom and keep her as long as I can (we're close), and part of me just wants mercy.  Mercy for her, mercy for my dad...  My dad is the strongest person I know, and even he is struggling with losing the essence of his wife of almost 60 years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »
My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and she's really starting to decline. It's heartbreaking, and part of me wants to hold my mom and keep her as long as I can (we're close), and part of me just wants mercy.  Mercy for her, mercy for my dad...  My dad is the strongest person I know, and even he is struggling with losing the essence of his wife of almost 60 years.

I hear ya. It is very human to hope for mercy, even if that selfish part of us (which I mean in a good way) wants them around for as long as possible.  Sorry you are having to deal with that.  :(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2022, 11:55:45 AM »

I hear ya. It is very human to hope for mercy, even if that selfish part of us (which I mean in a good way) wants them around for as long as possible.  Sorry you are having to deal with that.  :(

Thank you; but this is your thread.  I meant to commiserate, not steal your thunder!  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2022, 12:10:56 PM »
No worries at all.  If anyone else is going through anything, by all means express here, there or anywhere.   :)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2022, 01:59:44 PM »
Sorry about your loss Kev.

Loosing a parent.is like loosing a  part of you. They have always been there... now they are not.

Lost my father about a year ago. His health had been bad for about fifteen years.... it's still a shock.

Keep your dear ones close... you never know when it's over.

Sorry for your loss Kev!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2022, 02:06:23 PM »
Kev, sounds like you had a great and close relationship with your parents. That's a wonderful thing and to be treasured for sure.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2022, 02:26:13 PM »
I'm very sorry Kev... Prayer for you and your family for peace.

Many people here can relate and empathize with you and I'm no different.  My father passed in 2012 from a very rare form of cancer; it was sudden (less than 6-months from healthy and strong to passing) and a shock to my family.  For me personally, I received a great piece of advice from a very good friend in my Church... he said "Take a day and go somewhere that brings memories of your loved one, go there on your own and let it all come out.  Grieve, cry, scream if you have to, but say goodbye to the illness experience.  You'll come back, more than likely than not, focused on the good memories."

Perhaps it sounds obvious, but it wasn't for me, and it worked.  I went far out in the woods and found an old fishing spot my Dad used to take me to... I had with me a bottle of water and my Bible, and I let it out.  I came back ready to focus on the great times and not on the illness.  Maybe it will work for you too.

Your last line (knowing that she went at the right time, with all of you by her side), will help you much more than you may realize right now.  I had almost the exact same experience and it really does help when those hurtful thoughts creep in to the mind.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 02:56:18 PM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2022, 09:59:16 PM »
vtgrad, I love it. Apologies for bringing up something so morbid as Pet Sematary, but when my cat died I paraphrased Jud when I talked to my daughter about it, as it was her first real experience with death (coincidentally, similarly to the impetus to King writing the story). Death is when the pain stops and when the good memories begin.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2022, 10:52:52 PM »
So sorry to hear that, Kev. Losing anyone, especially a parent, is hard.

It'll hurt for some time to come but eventually, all the good memories you have will become easier to recall without dissolving*. And that's great because it sounds like you must have so many of them!

* hearing virtually any early track by The Beatles after a few beers is often still enough to set me off over my dad :biggrin: He died three years ago. Took me a while to be able to talk about him in the past tense without choking up but I'm okay now.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2022, 07:23:34 AM »
Very sorry to hear this, glad that you can find at least some Community here to help share in the loss

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2022, 09:31:39 AM »
So very sorry for your loss.  Prayers and thoughts to you and your family.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2022, 11:44:20 AM »
It is hard to reply to every post here, but, again, I appreciate all comments and sentiments.  And to those who have messaged me via PM or offline, I am not as full of words as normal, in case my replies were short.

To touch on a few things mentioned...

In regards to music, I actually turned it off Wednesday morning when I left work like Manute Bol to drive to the hospital and then again on my way home that evening after her passing, as I didn't want any songs to become directly correlated to that moment and be ruined for me forever.  Not sure how I managed the wherewithal to think that at the time, but I did.  And a few songs have been taken off of my phone for now (certain childhood favorites of mine that we would still listen to in recent years when we all just felt like listening to tunes together as a family).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 05:12:35 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2022, 12:00:00 PM »
In regards to music, I actually turned it off Wednesday morning when I left work like Manute Bol...

Hahaha what?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2022, 12:38:35 PM »
In regards to music, I actually turned it off Wednesday morning when I left work like Manute Bol to drive to the hospital and then again on my way home that evening after her passing, as I didn't want any songs to become directly correlated to that moment and be ruined for me forever.  Not sure how I managed the wherewithal to think that at the time, but I did.

Interesting. That was a good move I think.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2022, 06:13:39 PM »
I’m so sorry Kev
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2022, 01:24:03 AM »
Peace and love to you and yours, Kev.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2022, 05:51:17 AM »
Sorry for your loss Kev.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2022, 07:30:29 AM »
So sorry man. Always good to hear though about functional families.

Offline Buckeye69

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2022, 01:05:30 PM »
My deepest sympathy to you and your family Kev!   :sad:   I feel your pain.  It'll be 33 years for my mom this September.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2022, 07:43:13 AM »

* hearing virtually any early track by The Beatles after a few beers is often still enough to set me off over my dad :biggrin: He died three years ago. Took me a while to be able to talk about him in the past tense without choking up but I'm okay now.

Some of you know me to be a big outlaw country fan, and in particular Kris Kristofferson.  I'm hoping that "Sunday Morning Coming Down" doesn't reduce me to tears every time I hear it after my dad passes.   It's even now sometimes hard to listen to that first Kristofferson album without feeling melancholy (when I was younger, in high school, I had a B-set of speakers from my dad's kick-ass stereo wired into my room; whenever he thought I was hungover, he would play either that record, or the American Trilogy from Elvis' live in Hawai'i to bust my chops). 

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2022, 08:31:03 AM »
My sincerest condolences
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2022, 09:01:00 AM »
My sincerest condolences

To Kev, or Stads?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2022, 09:03:48 AM »
My sincerest condolences

To Kev, or Stads?

Kev, I hope. Again, I'm not looking to take over this thread, just commiserate. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2022, 11:31:05 AM »
My sincerest condolences

To Kev, or Stads?

Kev, I hope. Again, I'm not looking to take over this thread, just commiserate.
‘Twas a joke on my part
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2022, 03:42:03 PM »
Thanks again for the condolences, peeps, and Bill, I get it. Thanks for sharing that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:58:04 PM by KevShmev »