Author Topic: The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)  (Read 38437 times)

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thats a pretty cool set of bands to headline for them, that's awesome

Offline jadiggerdt

Good question, DT's popularity will diminish in the coming years. Quickly DT playes on club stages in 5 years before they put up for good

DT with Portnoy had over 6 thousand on the octavarium tour both in Sweden and in Norway, now it is around 3.
Will this only decrease in the next few years or will this remain stable u think?

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Good question, DT's popularity will diminish in the coming years. Quickly DT playes on club stages in 5 years before they put up for good

DT with Portnoy had over 6 thousand on the octavarium tour both in Sweden and in Norway, now it is around 3.
Will this only decrease in the next few years or will this remain stable u think?

You are kidding about this right-- the second sentence is a joke?

Offline jadiggerdt

Now, of course, covid has some of the reason why fewer people go to concerts, but DT now competes against new bands now such as Leprous, Haken and more. Bilbao was canceled due to lack of ticket sales.

I'm just saying that DT is unlikely to play more than 10 more years and there are fewer ticket sales now than 2 years ago. Then it decreases. The question is just whether it decreases more?

Most people who come to DT are hardcore fans who have followed them since the 90's like me but we die in the end we too :)

Online hunnus2000

Considering the high cost logistics such as shipping and trucking all over the world and with gas prices what they are, I would think that their profit margins are razor thin along the problems that the covids introduces. I am a little surprised they decided to not only bring an opening act on the road but that they decided to go out and tour at all.

Now, of course, covid has some of the reason why fewer people go to concerts, but DT now competes against new bands now such as Leprous, Haken and more. Bilbao was canceled due to lack of ticket sales.

I'm just saying that DT is unlikely to play more than 10 more years and there are fewer ticket sales now than 2 years ago. Then it decreases. The question is just whether it decreases more?

Most people who come to DT are hardcore fans who have followed them since the 90's like me but we die in the end we too :)

Considering the high cost logistics such as shipping and trucking all over the world and with gas prices what they are, I would think that their profit margins are razor thin along the problems that the covids introduces. I am a little surprised they decided to not only bring an opening act on the road but that they decided to go out and tour at all.

Modified because I screwed up the post.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 09:21:09 AM by hunnus2000 »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

One it's a question, not a fact, and even so, I don't know if the underlying fact is ACCURATE or not, but I didn't take it as a joke.  I've seen some pretty huge names, some pretty big talents, in a 500-seat theater in Ridgefield.   Roger Hodgson, Jon Anderson, The Dregs, Billy Squier, Ritche Blackmore... 

There are far more arena bands from the 80s and 90s playing medium theaters than still filling arenas.  DT was never a headlining arena band in the States; it's not an unfair question - even if it is uncomfortable - to ask whether they will be able to remain at that tier indefinitely.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Leprous performed for 100 people in NJ, I don't think they are really knocking down DT's door.  Having said that, DT are in a decline from my view.  I'm not ready to say they will be a club band in the near future though.  They still sell enough to play most mid to small theaters and sell even better when they celebrate an older album it seems.  There's always the chance the next album resonates with newer fans to bring people in, but I'd say that chance is low.  They don't do a good enough job trying to market to younger folks and mostly cater to the older.  I'm not even sure the band would want to play clubs since the seated set up seems to be what they prefer.  Maybe they call it quits if it gets to that point.  Personally, I'd love to see DT in a club or even just a mid sized GA pit ballroom with no click track and just playing off the vibe of the crowd.  I can dream.

• PR permission
It is feasible that their popularity will decrease in the coming years, but they'll play 'club stages?' What is our definition of club stage here? When I think of club I think of a 50-200 person venue that serves entrees while the band performs.

Personally, I think that the live entertainment business still has not fully recovered from COVID and what we are seeing-- if ticket sales truly down materially-- pertains to that (and cost inflation) way more than a decline in preference for DT. By the next album's release, things should be normalizing, God willing, and I think the ticket sales come back up.

Offline jadiggerdt

It is feasible that their popularity will decrease in the coming years, but they'll play 'club stages?' What is our definition of club stage here? When I think of club I think of a 50-200 person venue that serves entrees while the band performs.

Personally, I think that the live entertainment business still has not fully recovered from COVID and what we are seeing-- if ticket sales truly down materially-- pertains to that (and cost inflation) way more than a decline in preference for DT. By the next album's release, things should be normalizing, God willing, and I think the ticket sales come back up.

Yes what is the club scene. There are probably up to 600 approx.

The starting point here in Norway

John DEE - up to 300 people
Rockefeller 1200, DT st
Oslo Spectrum 8000 - DT sells about 3500-4000 tickets today
Telenor Arena 24000

Thinking in the worst case, DT goes back to Rockefeller before they say thank you for good.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
There's no hard line, and I defer to others, but "clubs" here in the States are up to say 1,200, no seats (at least on the floor area) and liquor service.  The Paramount in Long Island, Toad's Place...   There are theaters here as small as 500 (Ridgefield Playhouse) but they are fully seated and I wouldn't consider them "clubs".   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure there is a firm definition of a "club" but to me, it would mean around 500 or lower GA venue. 

Offline Kram

I'm not sure there is a firm definition of a "club" but to me, it would mean around 500 or lower GA venue.
Agree with this.  I think of a club as a big bar with a stage and a GA area to watch shows at.  Where Dream Theater play here in SD is a small 1,200 seat theater.  All seated and a place where they not only have live music shows, but also plays and stage theater type events. That's the difference to me.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni

Leprous performed for 100 people in NJ, I don't think they are really knocking down DT's door.  Having said that, DT are in a decline from my view.  I'm not ready to say they will be a club band in the near future though.  They still sell enough to play most mid to small theaters and sell even better when they celebrate an older album it seems.  There's always the chance the next album resonates with newer fans to bring people in, but I'd say that chance is low.  They don't do a good enough job trying to market to younger folks and mostly cater to the older.  I'm not even sure the band would want to play clubs since the seated set up seems to be what they prefer.  Maybe they call it quits if it gets to that point. Personally, I'd love to see DT in a club or even just a mid sized GA pit ballroom with no click track and just playing off the vibe of the crowd.  I can dream.

They've done it before... 2010 in Columbus OH (one of MPs last shows I think).  Place was PACKED; GA standing room only.  Awesome show for certain; stripped down, sweat flying, hard rockin' set (my first time seeing Mirror and Lie live).  Of the 11 shows I've seen live (including Score... different vibe though and in it's own category), that Ohio GA show is the one that sticks in my memory like over-cooked pasta to a wall.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never seen DT in a "club" sized venue, but a couple times where it was GA without click near the end of the MP era of DT.  Also saw them once with MM that had a GA pit, but played to click. 

I still think one of the best live vibes show was actually the MP Shattered Fortress concert in NYC.  Sold out GA ballroom type venue (Irving Plaza is 1k capacity).  No click track, just letting it rock and the crowd was really into it.  That was the most energetic "DT" show I've seen.  Obviously it wasn't DT, but it was DT songs that felt so much more real and organic than the current DT live show.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never seen DT in a "club" sized venue, but a couple times where it was GA without click near the end of the MP era of DT.  Also saw them once with MM that had a GA pit, but played to click. 

I still think one of the best live vibes show was actually the MP Shattered Fortress concert in NYC.  Sold out GA ballroom type venue (Irving Plaza is 1k capacity).  No click track, just letting it rock and the crowd was really into it.  That was the most energetic "DT" show I've seen.  Obviously it wasn't DT, but it was DT songs that felt so much more real and organic than the current DT live show.

I was at that show as well and agreed.  It was an event. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'd say less than 500 capacity and no seats would constitute a club, at least in CT.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd say less than 500 capacity and no seats would constitute a club, at least in CT.

It has to be 750; Toad's is the quintessential American rock club, and it's 750. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

It has to be 750; Toad's is the quintessential American rock club, and it's 750.

I'm not sure there's a hard number here.  The Whiskey A Go Go is 500 capacity.  That's kind of what I was thinking as my example (although I've never been). 

Offline pg1067

Going back to clubs would be....

wait for it...

A perfect circle.   :biggrin:

I'm not sure there's a hard number here.  The Whiskey A Go Go is 500 capacity.  That's kind of what I was thinking as my example (although I've never been). 

Same with the Troubadour (both of which are places I've played), which is also a 500 capacity, but I agree that there's no hard number.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
That's fair. I'd consider Toad's a club. I didn't realize it held that many people. Dream Theater is on the wall downstairs there.

Here's a DT set from there from back in 93. It's a proper recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk3JyJ3JNgo

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Paul, do you know of "Used Bin Radio" or the two guys that hosted it (Brad and Joe)?

Offline EPIC Outro

I was lucky enough to play a show at Toads many years ago. I saw Dream Theater's name on the wall downstairs and thought it was awesome to play on the same stage as my favorite band of all time.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline pg1067

Paul, do you know of "Used Bin Radio" or the two guys that hosted it (Brad and Joe)?

The name rings a bell, but I think that's because I've seen you or others here mention it.  No idea who Brad or Joe is.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

The name rings a bell, but I think that's because I've seen you or others here mention it.  No idea who Brad or Joe is.

They are the hosts, but they are from that LA scene.  If you've played the clubs on Sunset, even once, that's their millieu.  They used to do fascinating shows where Joe (who played in bands) would just talk about how it was in real time.   Being an east-coaster who grew up at the same time, but experienced it through Twisted Sister and the rest of the New York scene, it's fascinating.  I can't remember their last names.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Sorry if this was posted before...
Just to share a nice Blabbermouth article (?!). Very interesting to get a little scoop about how it was MP going to that DT show and how it went with JLB and MM (IMO it really shows how he seems at peace with DT now - so good to see that!):
https://blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-seeing-current-dream-theater-lineup-perform-was-not-as-awkward-as-i-had-anticipated-or-feared
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jadiggerdt

very disappointing in rome today. max 3000 in a hall that takes 11000

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

3k isn't a terrible turn out but in a building that can hold 11k would make it feel empty and kind of odd.

• PR permission

how many people usually attend DT shows in Rome?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni

Let’s just say there weren’t so few since a loooooong time.
(I wasn’t there, but i’m even questioning if there were actually 3000 people there as it seems it was way less)

Offline jadiggerdt

Let’s just say there weren’t so few since a loooooong time.
(I wasn’t there, but i’m even questioning if there were actually 3000 people there as it seems it was way less)

at least very disappointing attendance

• PR permission
Interesting. 3,000 I think would be very good in some places. For example, the Beacon Theater in NYC has a capacity of less than that and DT plays there quite often.

Offline jadiggerdt

Interesting. 3,000 I think would be very good in some places. For example, the Beacon Theater in NYC has a capacity of less than that and DT plays there quite often.

is probably 2000 tfewer compared to before. 3400 tickets have been sold in Oslo before they play on 19 May. + that devin townsend plays and he pulls a little extra too. the record is 6500.

romaeshould at least clear 3500 through the doors

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
This seems a bit of an overreaction, no? I read an article a few months back that concert attendance numbers are down in a lot of places, even for some big time popular artists, and I can't imagine things things have changed that much between then and now.  Many are still hesitant to go to concerts because of COVID.