Author Topic: The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)  (Read 38518 times)

Offline Skeever

I'm not sure PMU is definitely that song for them. There are so many that could be considered fan-favorites. Why PMU, and not Metropolis, TSCO, 8vm, TCoT, etc...? Heck, even Panic Attack, since it was in Guitar Hero, has probably become one of their most beloved songs, especially among younger fans. PMU was the one "hit" but it wasn't even that big of a hit, and is ancient history. Plus, to be quite honest, it's never been a great live song, at least as far as I'm concerned. Even listening to the latest Lost Not Forgotten release, live in NYC '93, I feel like it just didn't work that well, even with 20-something year old James. 

Offline 425

I think in our prog fan bubble, it can be easy to forget that eight minutes is a long song for many people, and you can forget about 19 or 24 minutes. I think that even includes some of the more casual DT listeners. I think that because radio airplay and Guitar Hero have pretty clearly been their broadest forms of exposure, the most popular songs are definitely Pull Me Under for people who were young in the 90s and Panic Attack for people who were young in the 00s.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
If you go to an Iron Maiden show, you pretty much KNOW the final four songs of any given set on any given tour are going to be pulled from a short list

Yes, and  I'm so glad DT does NOT do this. I don't need a different setlist every night but I do like one every tour. Anything less (or more) would be boring and/or tedious.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Yeah, anyone who would want that just hasn't paid attention to the band's history from day 1.  They have never been a band to consider anything to be a "must-play" song.  I remember getting a bootleg from a show way back in the early days (might have been a copy of one of the fanclub CDs--I don't remember, but Scotty will probably know) where Mike addressed the crowd at one point and basically said, "Look, I know some of you want to hear Take the Time, but get over it.  We're not playing it." 
I knew it was one of the Dec 1998 shows, but I had to double check my notes - it was the show on the 27th in Philly.  :biggrin:

What was funny is that it was in response to a woman in the audience who kept screaming for TtT during the show, which you can even hear on the recording!  :lol

Yes, and  I'm so glad DT does NOT do this. I don't need a different setlist every night but I do like one every tour. Anything less (or more) would be boring and/or tedious.
How could anything more be boring or tedious?  ???
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
How could anything more be boring or tedious?  ???

I just don't like the different-setlist-every-night idea. It just seems disappointingly chaotic. But this is coming from someone who actually likes setlist spoilers, so take with a grain of salt.

I definitely wouldn't want the same songs every year though. The way they handle it currently is the perfect balance.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

MP gave a similar disclaimer at the 1998 Toad's Place show, but I recall he referenced not playing Metropolis. 

Also, I think Pull Me Under was a deliberate inclusion in the Distance Over Time tour  because of the Hamlet reference.  The song quotes the play, and the album artwork is an obvious reference.   The skull is even called Yorick in the tour book, so I wouldn't be surprised if playing PMU might have been a mindful attempt to connect the themes.

Similarly, I suspect Bridges in the Sky was included in the latest tour because of the songs "reunited as one" theme.  Just my opinion, but I think the song has a personal meaning about DT playing together as a band, and therefore it would be fitting to add it for their return to the stage.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I personally liked how they included a song not played by Mangini yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 425

One interesting trend I've noticed in their Mangini-era setlists is a lot of love for Systematic Chaos. They did TDEN in 2011 and 2017, Constant Motion in 2015, ITPOE1 in 2019, and now TMOLS. Of the Portnoy-era albums, I think only IAW, SFAM and Awake have gotten more attention. Interesting for an album that is not a favorite of the core fanbase.

Edit: I guess BCSL has also gotten a comparable amount of attention, with TCOT in 2011 and 2022, ANTR in 2019, Wither in 2015 and TSF in 2013. Which is also interesting, although I chalk some of that up to it being the last album of the MP era and one that didn't get a super extensive tour.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

One interesting trend I've noticed in their Mangini-era setlists is a lot of love for Systematic Chaos. They did TDEN in 2011 and 2017, Constant Motion in 2015, ITPOE1 in 2019, and now TMOLS. Of the Portnoy-era albums, I think only IAW, SFAM and Awake have gotten more attention. Interesting for an album that is not a favorite of the core fanbase.

I'm not surprised. Other than CM, those are all songs with lyrics by JP, and I'm sure he favors the songs he wrote, especially if he's been in charge of picking setlists since Mangini joined.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

They also played Forsaken in 2011.

They've played most of BC&SL as well: ANTR (2019-2020), TCOT (2011 and 2022), TSF (2014), Wither (2015), and have ignored most of OVM and SDOIT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

I wish Wither would get some live exposure in the U.S. 

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨

This, AND Forsaken. Two of my favorite songs.

Offline Kram

They've played most of BC&SL as well: ANTR (2019-2020), TCOT (2011 and 2022), TSF (2014), Wither (2015), and have ignored most of OVM and SDOIT.
Yes, and I find it odd they've ignored most of OVM and SDOIT.  I'm pretty sure most fans rate those two albums WAY about Systematic Chaos and BC&SL

Offline EPIC Outro

I have a feeling those albums are going to get their proper due soon.

Offline Setlist Scotty

This, AND Forsaken. Two of my favorite songs.
.....except that Forsaken has gotten plenty of airtime, being played over 100 times on tours from 2007-2011 throughout the world, so it's not a rarity. Wither, OTOH has only been played 43 times, only twice in North America, so there's a big difference.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't think most DT fans would be too upset if DT ever did a similar thing and just made PMU their expected closer all the time to satisfy those who come to the shows for that specific song.

I think if DT had done this from when they started touring, it wouldn't be a big deal.  Almost every band has songs they play at every show.  DT would be no different if they did that. However, since they've got 30+ years of shows without doing this, if they started to I think it wouldn't go over so well (at least not immediately). 

I think BC&SL/SC got more love than some others is just because they are newer with less overall plays than stuff older.  Just my thought.  I kind of expect to see some more SDOIT/FII/8M in the coming sets because of their lack of representation. This is the one area of the live shows I will give them credit for, always shuffling up the older songs they play and not having setlist staples makes this so much more possible.

Offline goo-goo

From FB

Someone asked Mike why the drum kit was scaled back in this tour.

"Petrucci asked me to scale it down to make more room in our live room. I have made some kind of kit change every tour for my entire life, so this was normal for me. The strange thing was sitting down at it trying to play the HiHat foot pedals backward and no drums on the left side and immediately writing 3 sections of beats that became The Alien. I can elaborate in the class Sat. since it is all about the tour."

I enjoyed more seeing Mike with this setup than his previous drum kits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Any changes to the setlist last night?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

Any changes to the setlist last night?

No changes so far.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jadiggerdt

Sees that the start of the European tour is with seating and it seems that the halls are quite empty, have people have gotten a little tired of DT due to many other prog alternatives or there are many who do not meet due to covid fear, In Norway there are full houses at the conserts now, Tool soon will be  a killer, everyone is close and everything is as before.
Only seats at a metal concert, it must be sad stuff for DT.

Offline TM172003

DT in Newcastle was my first ever gig last night, it was surreal seeing the band in front of me. I genuinely couldn’t believe how well James performed too, he didn’t miss a note. It’s really obvious that he’s not lip syncing during *that* part of Bridges in the Sky at least now, he was still singing it in the lower octave and it was much louder than the backing vox.

Everyone was absolutely amazing but JP was on fire too, it seemed like he was struggling a little bit more than usual during his leads on the American leg based off videos I’d seen but he was spot on last night.

Offline jadiggerdt

DT in Newcastle was my first ever gig last night, it was surreal seeing the band in front of me. I genuinely couldn’t believe how well James performed too, he didn’t miss a note. It’s really obvious that he’s not lip syncing during *that* part of Bridges in the Sky at least now, he was still singing it in the lower octave and it was much louder than the backing vox.

Everyone was absolutely amazing but JP was on fire too, it seemed like he was struggling a little bit more than usual during his leads on the American leg based off videos I’d seen but he was spot on last night.

how was attendance at the concert? 2000-3000?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
I was at Belfast on Wednesday night. I loved it - had a great time, and it was really great not to have to travel and have the expense of flights and accommodation for once.

The guys performed really well, and although on paper I didn't fancy the setlist too much, I think it really flowed well live. Endless Sacrifice was a surprising highlight, which went down well with the crowd. I absolutely loved hearing TCOT live, I was looking forward to that beforehand and it didn't disappoint.

I was listening for the backing tracks, but they were subtle, and didn't bother me at all. Even "that bit" in BITS, wasn't an issue. It's just that James is singing the lower octave, and you can still faintly hear the upper octave from the track. Not a problem.

On the negative side, I think the sectioned off arena is a bit of an atmosphere killer, especially when there are other venues in the city which would have been far better for an audience of that size (ie the Ulster Hall, which has been a staple for gigs of that size over the years). There were scatterings of empty seats too, which left me a bit disappointed for the band. It would have been great if the place was packed out, and everyone was as into it as I was. :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The guys performed really well, and although on paper I didn't fancy the setlist too much, I think it really flowed well live.
I get that.  This particular setlist is not one that I would ever have designed in a million years, but seeing it live worked really well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

I was at Belfast on Wednesday night. I loved it - had a great time, and it was really great not to have to travel and have the expense of flights and accommodation for once.

The guys performed really well, and although on paper I didn't fancy the setlist too much, I think it really flowed well live. Endless Sacrifice was a surprising highlight, which went down well with the crowd. I absolutely loved hearing TCOT live, I was looking forward to that beforehand and it didn't disappoint.

I was listening for the backing tracks, but they were subtle, and didn't bother me at all. Even "that bit" in BITS, wasn't an issue. It's just that James is singing the lower octave, and you can still faintly hear the upper octave from the track. Not a problem.

On the negative side, I think the sectioned off arena is a bit of an atmosphere killer, especially when there are other venues in the city which would have been far better for an audience of that size (ie the Ulster Hall, which has been a staple for gigs of that size over the years). There were scatterings of empty seats too, which left me a bit disappointed for the band. It would have been great if the place was packed out, and everyone was as into it as I was. :)

Side note: before the pandemic my wife and I were planning a trip to Ireland including Belfast.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Cool! I hope you get the chance to rebook in future. Feel free to PM me if you need any local info, but just be aware I’m no tour guide!  :lol

That reminds me, there was a brief moment of awkward stage banter where James said he didn’t realise that the Titanic was built in Belfast. I suppose that’s a sign that the tourist board isn’t doing a great job, since that’s one of our few tourist attractions!  :lol

I think the crowd were just sort of bemused, but fair play to him for doing a bit of local research.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Cool! I hope you get the chance to rebook in future. Feel free to PM me if you need any local info, but just be aware I’m no tour guide!  :lol

That reminds me, there was a brief moment of awkward stage banter where James said he didn’t realise that the Titanic was built in Belfast. I suppose that’s a sign that the tourist board isn’t doing a great job, since that’s one of our few tourist attractions!  :lol

I think the crowd were just sort of bemused, but fair play to him for doing a bit of local research.

:lol

That's one of the reasons we wanted to go there! Your new museum looks awesome!

Of course, we mainly wanted to go for the simple reason that my wife and I are both of Irish heritage. If I ever do go I'll definitely be in touch but sadly it won't be for several years at this point.

Apologies for staying off topic but figured I'd share this link since DT fans tend to like instrumentals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PniJkuUWIYE

The band is called Public Service Broadcasting and uses archival soundbites and in the instance of that youtube video, archival footage, for all their music. That particular link is to a song from their EP White Star Liner about the Titanic.

Their best album is called The Race for Space. You can guess what it's about.

ok, back on topic!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Ha ha - narrator’s accent checks out. I like the way they had to subtitle it for anyone in the rest of the world to understand!  :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

Anyone think this tour will get released as a Live Album?

Offline Dream Team

Hard to say. They did a live release for 3 of the previous 4 albums but I don’t know if they made enough on the investment to make it worth it. Thank goodness for someone like Portnoy who never shies away from live releases.

Offline goo-goo

Wouldn't mind going to the Vimeo route like Marillion or Big Big Train. You can cut or limit the pressing media production by a lot (CDS, DVDs, BRs) and still have it digitally available for rent or sale through Vimeo.

Offline Setlist Scotty

I would think so. If not a traditional live release, then at the very least an official bootleg.

Offline faizoff

I saw that At Wit's End was released on youtube in 4k. I wished bands would release a 4k Bluray of their concerts. I wouldn't mind a digital only version of a live release if it were to happen.

Come to think of it, they should release an official version of this tour, seeing as how they finally won a grammy of one of the track, it would be easy to market the release as including the grammy winning track 'The Alien'.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline JiM-Xtreme

Saw them at Wembley last night. My expectations were not that high because of all the talk of backing tracks, JLB’s decline and having had the setlist mostly spoiled for me thanks to YouTube recommendations, despite my efforts to avoid spoilers. But these issues did not affect the show anywhere near as I had worried. JLB was on good form and I can’t recall any particular moment where he struggled, which was not the case at the London show I saw on the previous tour. Also, his low octave vocals in the now infamous section of BITS are now much louder than the backing track, and my overall feeling was that when backing tracks were used, they enhanced the performance rather than detracting from the live feel. I feel like they have perhaps addressed the live mix due to the controversy and as a result last night it was really clear to me what was live and what was a backing track, and I really appreciate that.

That said, I really, really miss the elements of spontaneity that a DT show used to have. I understand why they use clicks and a static setlist now but at the same time, would it kill them to switch out one or two songs here and there just to keep us guessing?

There was a funny little moment when JLB was talking about UK bands and mentioned that two of his favourite bands are Zeppelin and Queen, and at that moment MM teased the drum intro to Rock ‘n’ Roll  :biggrin: made my friend and I wonder how a full DT Zeppelin cover would sound, complete with a Rudess solo thrown in?  :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

With this tour clocking in at around 2 hours, and even the DOT/Scenes tour being shorter than a usual Evening With, are shorter sets likely to be the norm for DT going forward?