Author Topic: The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)  (Read 38429 times)

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
or you comprise a replacement -it's that simple..

UNACCEPTABLE .

Offline hunnus2000

Or - you have a problem with a band member's performance, quit following the band so you can stop your bitching.

It's that simple......

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Or - you have a problem with a band member's performance, quit following the band so you can stop your bitching.

It's that simple......

Give me a freaking break.

The idea that having a criticism of a band member means you should give up your fandom is so hilariously bad that I don't even know where to begin.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
To think, this all started as a "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread :huh:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
To think, this all started as a "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread :huh:

Haha, so true!

And to piggyback on my last post, if JLB is getting better over the course of the tour, awesome.  I am sure everyone wants the band and JLB to kick ass. No one is looking to criticize him for sport.  But the performances in the first week, as we saw in various YT clips, were pretty rough of James, as it definitely looked like he was either lip synching in spots or letting a backing track do the heavy lifting in isolated spots.  And I think it is important to remember that this is a discussion forum, not a FB fan page where any criticism is shut down.  If bosk1 and his team of mods have issues with any criticism, they will surely let us know.  :tup :tup

Offline geeeemo

Maybe this will be a little clearer for y'all. Maybe I'll get booted. That's ok. This has been annoying.
https://youtu.be/lT7B4jUdvGw

Offline geeeemo

Aside from that.... The  Rhapsody in Blue was definitely a highlight!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Maybe this will be a little clearer for y'all. Maybe I'll get booted. That's ok. This has been annoying.

I'm glad he did that.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

Well that settles this..of course we are the bad guys..man, this is so sad...

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape

Surely a man has a right to defend himself and answer his critics, no?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

If you're going to be so adamant about it. Why not tell him straight to his face. It's the next logical thing to do if you are so sure he is lip singing.

As I have stated. He is not lip singing. He is singing along to a backing track that enhances the harmonies of the song. The same way JP is using his new toy to enhance his guitar to make it seem as if two guitars are playing.

Even Queen never played the best part of Bohemian Rhapsody live, it was entirely a backing tape. They would even skip that part entirely at times.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

For sure he has the right..but to insult fans in this way especially when it is beyond doubt that the little section in Bridges is lip synced..I give up, honestly...After being a fan for 25 years I though I've seen it all..well who knew..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Absolutely, but some fans acting like he owned those who accused him or that his FU ends the conversation are being a bit too fanboy-ish (or fangirl-ish), IMO.

I never got the impression that he was lip synching, but some of those early clips sure did look like he was letting the backing track do the heavy lifting in certain spots, meaning he was singing live for sure, but was barely audible due to the backing track being so loud. Intentional or not, that is how it looked and sounded, and James turning away from the crowd at the same moment in a song multiple times just looked...odd.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread

Note the bolded word. Maybe we could get back to talking positively about this tour. Dream Theater are still an absolute powerhouse of a band almost forty years into their career, and to harp on a twenty second section of a two hour show that may or may not have been mimed (and FWIW, he was clearly singing when I saw them at Beacon Theatre) is a bit silly IMO. There’s so much to love about this tour, a tour that we’re lucky is even happening considering the way the world has been the past two years, so maybe let’s try to enjoy the fact that live music from our favorite bands and artists is back.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mladen

Good for James for clearing that up. I was upset by what looked like lip-synching and expressed my opinion on here, as a fan does. It's good to know that he is singing along with that section, he is aware that lip-synching isn't something that people that hold him in high regard want to see. It did look like lip-synching, both to YouTube viewers and people in the crowd, so James was probably made aware by someone of the controversy.

I appreciate that he addressed it and do not mind the "fuck you."  ;D

Offline EPIC Outro

Can someone tell me what he is saying after he says "That section there..." I can't quite make it out.

Offline Kram

Can someone tell me what he is saying after he says "That section there..." I can't quite make it out.
Same - and I think that's probably the most important thing that he's saying there, as far as explaining what is going on with the backing track and his signing.

Offline hunnus2000

It's that simple......

Give me a freaking break.

The idea that having a criticism of a band member means you should give up your fandom is so hilariously bad that I don't even know where to begin.

Hey, you can still listen to the band and have enjoyment from them without following them or going to their concerts. The bitching about JLB reminds me of 2 spouses that over time do nothing but complain about one another. I'm sure we've all known couples like this and after awhile, we're all like - 'they just need to get a divorce'.

Oh - and my comments are up for discussion because this is a discussion board.  ::)

Offline gzarruk

Like I've said before and will say again, I'd go see them live in a heartbeat if they ever came back here :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hunnus2000

Like I've said before and will say again, I'd go see them live in a heartbeat if they ever came back here :metal

I'm witchu!  :metal

Offline geeeemo

And I'm thinking its way better to get my fangirl on (this forum is for fans I hope, or am I in the wrong place?) than to be intelletually critical of a teeny part of a show that is fantastic. And that absolutely made no difference and, which most people I doubt even noticed.
Like probably not many knew that throwing in Rhapsody in Blue during the solo of TCOT happened.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
I had to stop reading here for a bit. It actually bummed me out and made me not look forward to the show last weekend. But I'm glad I went, though. I had a good time. They're using too many backing tracks for my liking BUT I could hear JLB singing over them.
I think it bugs me more that JP can't be heard. I know he does sing. At least, occasionally. The clearest I could hear him (post-MP) was on the Dramatic tour. There's also a video of "The Enemy Inside" from early into the AFTR tour with the soundboard audio and his voice is clearly heard doing the call and response with JLB in the chorus. It's not like that at all on BT4thW. I digest.

In closing, I'm glad I went. Dropped a lot on the merch stand. :lol
Wasn't thrilled with the set list but it is what it is. AVFTToTW and Count were the highlights for me. As well as 6:00, because Awake is my favorite album.

My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline sylentman

There are some who have the blessing of being able to see them on every tour and may complain about stuff (and they are in their right if they choose to); while others may not have had the opportunity of having seen their favorite band live or may not be able to see them on every tour…and would not hesitate to go watch a concert now and likely love every second of it with all the flaws it could have.
Not to call out those highlighting what they don’t like as again you’re in every right to make criticism, but as someone here said believe it would set this post and forum in a better mood if we just appreciate the good things DT is still able to display live, and always remember you are blessed if you have the chance of deciding if going to most of their tours.
Have been a fan myself since the 90’s and i was only able to see them live for the first time in the Last tour (saw them twice in same week), and if i could i’d go to every tour now and until they are physically able to play, regardless of any limitations, backing tracks, lip-synching???, effects, etc. That is just me and i understand who may feel differently :).
So fellow DT fans…please enjoy your shows while they last with all their plus and deltas…

Offline Trav86

I just got home from the Dallas show. I thought it was awesome. Loud as fuck, but awesome. They’re so tight as a band, but really rocking. Mike’s drums sound so powerful. More than I noticed in the past. James was great, and every song came across great. All of the guys seemed like they were having a blast as well. Just a great great show!

One negative. I hate that venue. I’m hoping the promoter here can get them in a different place next time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 06:42:14 AM by Trav86 »
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
And I'm thinking its way better to get my fangirl on (this forum is for fans I hope, or am I in the wrong place?) than to be intelletually critical of a teeny part of a show that is fantastic.

PREACH!!!! Fangirls unite! 💃💫💖

Offline Awaken

:hefdaddy

Love this - atta boy, James!  I've seen this guy 22 times w DT, and while he has his off nights, I've never left a show thinking 'he needs to be replaced'.  I'd imagine after years of the shots this guy takes it felt damned good to 'clear the air'. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yeah, I would never want JLB to be replaced.  I know rock music history is loaded with "irreplaceable" singers who were in fact replaced, but I hope it never happens with DT.  Regardless of what I think of his live struggles, he still sounds really good in the studio, and that is what I listen to 99.999% of the time when it comes to Dream Theater, so all good by me.  :metal :metal

Offline geeeemo

And I'm thinking its way better to get my fangirl on (this forum is for fans I hope, or am I in the wrong place?) than to be intelletually critical of a teeny part of a show that is fantastic.

PREACH!!!! Fangirls unite! 💃💫💖

:heart :metal

Offline Kram

There are some who have the blessing of being able to see them on every tour and may complain about stuff (and they are in their right if they choose to); while others may not have had the opportunity of having seen their favorite band live or may not be able to see them on every tour…and would not hesitate to go watch a concert now and likely love every second of it with all the flaws it could have.
Not to call out those highlighting what they don’t like as again you’re in every right to make criticism, but as someone here said believe it would set this post and forum in a better mood if we just appreciate the good things DT is still able to display live, and always remember you are blessed if you have the chance of deciding if going to most of their tours.
Have been a fan myself since the 90’s and i was only able to see them live for the first time in the Last tour (saw them twice in same week), and if i could i’d go to every tour now and until they are physically able to play, regardless of any limitations, backing tracks, lip-synching???, effects, etc. That is just me and i understand who may feel differently :).
So fellow DT fans…please enjoy your shows while they last with all their plus and deltas…
Good post!  We should all be thankful we still have Dream Theater in our lives and they're still making great new music and putting on kick ass shows.  There's never been a band like them, and there will never be another band like them.  I think it's important to not lose sight of this.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Good post!  We should all be thankful we still have Dream Theater in our lives and they're still making great new music and putting on kick ass shows.  There's never been a band like them, and there will never be another band like them.  I think it's important to not lose sight of this.

💯

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
JLB surely had some issues at the show I attended, but lip synching definitely wasn't one of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikatapi

Ok, James. Not technically lip-syncing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SBThl5FpQ&t=499s

Guess they raised the volume on his mic on this section, you can hear he's not singing the original line. Just a very low melody.

Offline geeeemo

Guess they raised the volume on his mic on this section, you can hear he's not singing the original line. Just a very low melody.
I don't see a proper eye roll emoji above.
The only issue I hear is that he's a bit flat in a couple spots. Or its one of those really crappy youtube videos. I have seen this show 3 times. Never did he sound like this, and never did I have an issue with how he and the backing tracks were presented.
If I were a person who has so much problem with this, I definitely wouldnt go to a show. White Snake has a new young singer who may be more to the perfection necessary for enjoyment.

Offline Mladen

That's more like it. I for one stand corrected.

Offline evilasiojr

Man, I don't know, I wasn't at any of these shows, but seems to me he started singing the low octave of that melody only in recent concerts, the first ones really sound like lip-synching. Again, haven't been to the shows, but only by YT videos you can clearly feel the difference between having this low melody and not.

About his defense video, I find all the cursing a bit unnecessary, but it's James' way of expressing himself, don't mind that much.

But I stand with some people here: seeing them live for the next years is a privilege by itself, we should enjoy it while we can. I for one can't wait for them to announce other Brazilian dates beyond Rock in Rio. You guys from North America and Europe are really fortunate to have them perform in so many different cities and even second legs in a same tour.