Author Topic: The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)  (Read 38458 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

The backstage pic was not necessary and it shows  that, at the very least, they finally talked.
That is true, but just to clarify, it was more than just them finally talking. There was some real mending of fences and healing that happened that night after the show.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

The backstage pic was not necessary and it shows  that, at the very least, they finally talked.
That is true, but just to clarify, it was more than just them finally talking. There was some real mending of fences and healing that happened that night after the show.  ;)

:heart
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I suspected so, but that's great to hear.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks Scotty for the facts!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Generally I don't care about this too much; I'm with PG.  Who they are friends with is their business, and too many of the bands I like I know the members AREN'T friends and it doesn't impact my enjoyment of their music (in some cases the tension I think CAUSES the music I like so much).   

But this feels different. I don't feel like it's just "hey we're all friends, yay!".  I trust you, Scotty, and I feel like there's an element of life peace here.  Putting things to rest, with no goal in mind, no agenda, just living an authentic life.  I can get behind that.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I love this for them so much. Again I have to defend my view and say that it's of course all their business if people organically grow out of their friendships, find it difficult to re-establish contact after a period, or if they just cross some lines that break communication, et cetera, but I was always sad when this happened to me, and so I'm so, so glad for them that they managed to do this. Lots of growth had to happen in order to make this happen (from what we know!). Thanks Scotty for the facts!!

Man, kudos to freaking Mike Portnoy. This band meant so much to him, we saw how much. To come to a point in time where he can go backstage, after a show he'd never thought he'd watch from the stands instead of the drum stand, and put his arm around his replacement and take a pic smiling together, that's so wonderful, and I can guess how much it meant to MM, too. To start talking to JLB again after 11 years and some change - incredible. I hope they really got to catch up.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Are you saying they recorded an acoustic performance backstage and it'll be on Youtube soon?

Offline Kram

That's great to hear Scotty!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Are you saying they recorded an acoustic performance backstage and it'll be on Youtube soon?
That's what I heard.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...

This is amazing and so much more than I expected... Really happy for them! :heart

So, although I think it's still unlikely - just because it could be misunderstood or take away the focus from the proper DT show - but, maybe, who knows if we'll have something special at the Rock in Rio, maybe even at the Metal Allegiance show?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

This is amazing and so much more than I expected... Really happy for them! :heart

So, although I think it's still unlikely - just because it could be misunderstood or take away the focus from the proper DT show - but, maybe, who knows if we'll have something special at the Rock in Rio, maybe even at the Metal Allegiance show?

I'd love to see MP join the band for the final part of TCOT to close the show (from the "could this be the end?" part).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
unless MM leaves the band or they just call it quits, there will never be a DT-MP reunion-- not for a show, a song, a special event, or even a moment. His time in the band was great and it's over. It's the MM-era now and there's no going back. If anything, the shoutout at the Beacon illustrated just how at-peace both DT and MP are with that.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
unless MM leaves the band or they just call it quits, there will never be a DT-MP reunion-- not for a show, a song, a special event, or even a moment. His time in the band was great and it's over. It's the MM-era now and there's no going back. If anything, the shoutout at the Beacon illustrated just how at-peace both DT and MP are with that.
I wouldn't be so sure. While I am not saying there will definitively be some sort of reunion, I can see them bringing some members back for a one-and-done show, similar to When Dream and Day Reunite.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Boston show is on Dime!
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=726251

It's a Favre4 capture so you know it's good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
I wouldn't be so sure. While I am not saying there will definitively be some sort of reunion, I can see them bringing some members back for a one-and-done show, similar to When Dream and Day Reunite.

I am positive. Trust me. MP is never coming back unless MM leaves or the band calls it a day and then some time down the road does a one-off. I could *MAYBE* see an exception for MP and MM to play on a song at the same time if they were both playing at the same festival, but that's it really. Even if MM had to take a temporary leave of absence, I wouldn't be shocked if MP didn't get the call to sub. The band isn't going to do anything to undermine their star drummer who has done everything and beyond what they've asked. What happened with WDADU was how many years after the album came out?

What happened at the Beacon was 2 grown men, softened by time, burying the hatchet and making amends. Good for them. In no way was it a preview or hint of something to come down the road in their professional lives.

Editing this because I just thought of another hypothetical exception: MM goes to MP and asks him if he wants to sit in on a song and then goes to the band to propose the idea. But again, no chance in hell JP or JR are going up to MM out of the blue and asking him to sit out for a song so MP can play (thus summoning the calls of the MP loyalists for a member change when the majority of the fanbase is settled on the current lineup).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 07:27:42 PM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

Offline Setlist Scotty

I am positive. Trust me. MP is never coming back unless MM leaves or the band calls it a day and then some time down the road does a one-off. I could *MAYBE* see an exception for MP and MM to play on a song at the same time if they were both playing at the same festival, but that's it really. Even if MM had to take a temporary leave of absence, I wouldn't be shocked if MP didn't get the call to sub. The band isn't going to do anything to undermine their star drummer who has done everything and beyond what they've asked. What happened with WDADU was how many years after the album came out?
Never say never. The WDaDR show happened a little over 5 years after DS had gotten the boot and he was welcomed back. And let's not forget that nobody - including the band and MP himself - ever expected there to be a change in drummer on August 29, 2010 or before. So unexpected things happen that can have a major effect on the band. Not that I'm expecting MP to return. But as long as DT exists and MP is alive, there is always a chance, however minuscule it may be.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

After all these years, I still have never figured out Dime. I may have to get it together for this one.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline MirrorMask

What happened at the Beacon was 2 grown men, softened by time, burying the hatchet and making amends. Good for them. In no way was it a preview or hint of something to come down the road in their professional lives.

Exactly. I found a bit out of taste the inevitable comments about a possible reunion, under those FB posts... I mean, I get it, a fan daydreams and "you give him a finger and they take all the arm" (a way of saying in Italy), but just let two adult grown men who fell out with each other have finally a moment to remember their friendships without pestering them about playing together.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

Scotty, were you there?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

After all these years, I still have never figured out Dime. I may have to get it together for this one.

If I can figure it out, you have no excuse.  :P

Offline devieira73

The same recording: https://www.guitars101.com/threads/dream-theater-2022-02-25-boston-ma-flac-aud-farve4-master.774925/#post-3669293

Offline Kram

Never say never. The WDaDR show happened a little over 5 years after DS had gotten the boot and he was welcomed back. And let's not forget that nobody - including the band and MP himself - ever expected there to be a change in drummer on August 29, 2010 or before. So unexpected things happen that can have a major effect on the band. Not that I'm expecting MP to return. But as long as DT exists and MP is alive, there is always a chance, however minuscule it may be.
I agree, never say never - but I also agree with TheBarstoolWarrior, in that I think they will go out of their way to make sure to NEVER undermine MM.  So it would have to be of MM's making, or some other extenuating circumstance is the way I see it.

Offline frogprog

Spoilers ahead

Saw the Philly show last night. Really, really nice! I had never been to The Met. Beautiful venue, really nice ,welcoming theater ushers etc which set the evening off on a great vibe for me. People being nice is.....nice.
Settled into great seats, 10th row JP's side. Arch Echo was good. It seemed like they all went to performing arts school or something the way they smiled the whole time and their movement around the stage. They were technically very good, but being all instrumental, it got a bit "widdle-ey" for me. Over all they were solid  and very talented though. Apparently their drummer was absent for a few days having(his wife having😁😁)his first child. The guy that played drums was REALLY good and it was amazing that he was just a temp. I'm guessing that since the tour had been postponed they had time to find a guy and have him learn all their technical music for the drummers planned abscense. Very impressive.
Dream Theater's stage was really cool and sparse. The only visible equipment on stage was MM's kit and JR's keys, 2 mic stands and JP's diamond plate "get a leg up" shredding boxes. It was cool to see MM's small kit after seeing his monster set last tour. I really liked the separate hanging video screens surrounding the all white stage and risers. There was riser to the right of the drums that JP used for soloing that had another set of his guitar pedals. Great light show as well, really great stage production.
The sound was very good and having seen DT 15 or so times previously, i loved the set list on this tour. For me JP stole the show. He is so good, so cool and always has such a positive up beat vibe. When he was up on his soloing riser he was SO entertaining. He ran around the stage a lot also. As usual, I loved the times when he and JMX played face to face ala Ged and Alex.
My only WTF moments were JLB's kinda weird and awkward stage banter and his sigmond and the sea monster motions he was making as he rocked out back by the drum riser. I guess he thought it looked cool.....!
All in all a fantastic evening. Next up is TA back at my neighborhood Keswick. So nice to be able to go out and rock again!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

If I can figure it out, you have no excuse.  :P

Haha, God that's so true :lol

EDIT: and thanks to Devieira, I don't have to figure DIME for another year or so!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 09:35:23 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline devieira73

You’re welcome. I also get in trouble with Dime! :D

Offline TheRich13

Going to the show at Hard Rock in Orlando on the 15th .. I have checked out a few vids and setlists ….
Looks like they’re not playing Answering the Call …one of my faves from the new album ….damn !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Awaken

Going to the show at Hard Rock in Orlando on the 15th .. I have checked out a few vids and setlists ….
Looks like they’re not playing Answering the Call …one of my faves from the new album ….damn !

If they're playing Answering the Call and/or Sleeping Giant on the next leg, I'll be traveling to see them again.  I'll probably travel to see them again anyway but I'd love to see those two in particular. :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Gotta say that seeing a pic of MP in the audience at the NYC DT show was very awkward, bizarre and maybe a little sad.  I guess it just proves that he's finally come to terms with it.  It could not have been easy.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Quoting this from the CT concert thread to bring more exposure...

Speaking of sound(s), does anyone know what the box is on James' mic stand?  I know there was this thing-y that He flipped down after The Alien, I assume that was something to do with the effects, but there's a black box about halfway down the mic stand, and I'm curious what that's about.

I took this picture last night, maybe someone knows what this is?

anyway, here are some more pics from last night:

as for the two shows I saw... really great concerts! Thought the live sound was pretty good both nights.  CT was from the last row, NJ was from the front row.  Up front I would say Myung was a bit louder in the mix, but no complaints from that.  I didn't notice any of the piping in vocals in CT, but they were much more noticeable in NJ.  It didn't really take away from my enjoyment, just actually noticed it at one show and not at the other.  Could be a few things like my location or the venue's sound/mix for that evening.

The setlist is interesting, but works pretty well.  Ministry is not a very popular DT song, but kind of works in that near end of show spot.  I love how they didn't play anything from Scenes or I&W as those have gotten the spotlight recently.  The new songs are pretty good live.  Awaken the Master is not one of my favorites from the new album, but it's pretty strong live.  I feel like About to Crash got a good pop from the crowd both nights.  Solid pick from the back catalog. 

Being up close, I got to make a lot of eye contact with the guys and feel some of the vibe.  Other than JM, the band really seemed to be into the show.  JP was constantly coming over by me shredding in my face.  JLB pointed at us (myself and the guy next to me who was rocking out hard) a few times and put the mic near us for the WHOAS at the end of the Count (which btw is an excellent encore closer).  I noticed a lot of JR and MM interaction, usually with smiles and laughs like they were joking with each other.  JR when he came up with the keytar was probably the highlight, that instrumental section of Endless is one of the best moments on ToT and seeing that right in my front of me was face melting.  I could have played his keys!

All in all, another awesome double DT concert experience (I usually try to see them twice each tour).  Not sure how this compares to the others, but being up front definitely makes it special.

Also, no ushers at either show! Maybe they've cooled down on this and everyone was standing up front for both shows.  This is how rock concerts should be (IMO).   :yarr :yarr

Offline pg1067

James's thing looks decorative (like the circular green glass thing at the top).  He's certainly not triggering effects or the...ummm...auxiliary vocals or controlling the monitor mix.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
James's thing looks decorative (like the circular green glass thing at the top).  He's certainly not triggering effects or the...ummm...auxiliary vocals or controlling the monitor mix.

That's my thought, it's decorative.  Even though it has some buttons on it, I noticed his hands near it but not pushing anything or using it while the vocal effects were happening.  Possible I just missed it or it's not being used the way I would think though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm 90%, maybe 89% sure that the "circle" thing-y on the arm at the top of the mic stand was flipped UP at the start of the show and during the first song, and was down for most of the rest of the set.  I don't if that means anything or not, but...

Someone do one of those cameo thing-y's and ask him about his equipment.  :)

Offline tofee35

The same recording: https://www.guitars101.com/threads/dream-theater-2022-02-25-boston-ma-flac-aud-farve4-master.774925/#post-3669293

Thanks for the link! It was an amazing night and I love having a record of it. Listening now and it sounds better than I thought it would. It catches more of the ambiance and mix than the phone recordings.

-Tof

Offline DTwwbwMP

Quoting this from the CT concert thread to bring more exposure...

Speaking of sound(s), does anyone know what the box is on James' mic stand?  I know there was this thing-y that He flipped down after The Alien, I assume that was something to do with the effects, but there's a black box about halfway down the mic stand, and I'm curious what that's about.

I took this picture last night, maybe someone knows what this is?

anyway, here are some more pics from last night:

as for the two shows I saw... really great concerts! Thought the live sound was pretty good both nights.  CT was from the last row, NJ was from the front row.  Up front I would say Myung was a bit louder in the mix, but no complaints from that.  I didn't notice any of the piping in vocals in CT, but they were much more noticeable in NJ.  It didn't really take away from my enjoyment, just actually noticed it at one show and not at the other.  Could be a few things like my location or the venue's sound/mix for that evening.

The setlist is interesting, but works pretty well.  Ministry is not a very popular DT song, but kind of works in that near end of show spot.  I love how they didn't play anything from Scenes or I&W as those have gotten the spotlight recently.  The new songs are pretty good live.  Awaken the Master is not one of my favorites from the new album, but it's pretty strong live.  I feel like About to Crash got a good pop from the crowd both nights.  Solid pick from the back catalog. 

Being up close, I got to make a lot of eye contact with the guys and feel some of the vibe.  Other than JM, the band really seemed to be into the show.  JP was constantly coming over by me shredding in my face.  JLB pointed at us (myself and the guy next to me who was rocking out hard) a few times and put the mic near us for the WHOAS at the end of the Count (which btw is an excellent encore closer).  I noticed a lot of JR and MM interaction, usually with smiles and laughs like they were joking with each other.  JR when he came up with the keytar was probably the highlight, that instrumental section of Endless is one of the best moments on ToT and seeing that right in my front of me was face melting.  I could have played his keys!

All in all, another awesome double DT concert experience (I usually try to see them twice each tour).  Not sure how this compares to the others, but being up front definitely makes it special.

Also, no ushers at either show! Maybe they've cooled down on this and everyone was standing up front for both shows.  This is how rock concerts should be (IMO).   :yarr :yarr

I was in 7th row and I thought the sound sucked! Could barely hear JLB over all the distortion (maybe that's a good thing ;)). Anyway, other than the new songs which IMO REALLY did not translate very well live, the rest of the "JP with the rest of DT" show was really good. :metal I saw cramx in the first row at end of show as I walked up to the stage during TCOT (which was incredible). NICE seat! :tup

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I think there's a sort of consensus that James is delivering, at least on this recent portion of the tour.  I thought he was great in Connecticut.