Author Topic: The "A View from the Top of the World tour is awesome!" thread (spoilers)  (Read 39815 times)

Online faizoff

That's super cool of MP and James to acknowledge each other. Very cool of MP to be there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
The show I saw was indeed superb. The band sounds amazing and there are no signs of slowing down amongst anyone-- everyone is firing on all cylinders. James started off rough with the Alien, but sounded good for the remainder of the show. The rest of the band was virtually flawless and also showed great energy.

As a guitar nerd, I must say that JP's tone is insanely godly. Arch Echo provided the context for how good his sound truly is. Their lead guitarist, who is a great player, was inaudible at some points in his solos-- the notes were indistinguishable from each other and just buried under the noise of the other instruments. On the other hand, you could hear every single note JP played and his lead sound rang throughout the venue like sonic ecstasy. Even when he played the 8 string, it sounded crystal clear in the mix and not muddy at all. I realize this is the difference between thousands of dollars worth of gear (not to mention decades of experience doing shows and tweaking your sound) and not, but the difference was so stark.

Sort of an interesting setlist. There were no solo performances, no ballads, no intermission, and the songs seemed to sit on the longer and heavier side of the DT spectrum, with a few exceptions. I was not in love with the song selection because they omitted 2 very strong tunes from DT15 and one good song, which appears to be everyone's favorite. and instead they played 6:00, Endless Sacrifice, and Bridges in the Sky, all of which they've already played in the MM era. Bridges is one of my favorite DT songs so I was happy to experience it again but I would have preferred to hear ATC, TT, SG, or any number of songs they've never played live in the MM era.

Overall, it was a great, if not quick-feeling, evening.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
That's super cool of MP and James to acknowledge each other. Very cool of MP to be there.

Tonight’s show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James. There was even a special guest in the crowd tonight: Mike Portnoy.

Really glad to know that this happened!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Tonight’s show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James.

I'm literally counting the hours now til tonight  :heart  Fourth time for me, and first concert since 2019. So excited for the setlist.
“It’s the gloomy things that need our help. If everything in the garden is sunny, why meddle?”
— Lady Sybil Crawley, Downton Abbey, Season 1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tonight’s show in NYC was great. The entire band was on point, including James.

I'm literally counting the hours now til tonight  :heart  Fourth time for me, and first concert since 2019. So excited for the setlist.

Leaving my house in about an hour to drive up to CT  :yarr

Offline Architeuthis

So cool on Mike Portnoy's part to attend this show.  I hope he really enjoyed hearing their new material,  I'd like to hear his take on it..    :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online faizoff

Found this on Reddit

And with a little bit of more searching found an article with more pictures

https://metalinjection.net/news/mike-portnoy-attended-dream-theaters-show-last-night-got-a-shout-out-from-the-stage
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kram

A show-goer on Twitter mentioned that James gave Mike a shoutout and Mike saluted back.
WOW!  That's awesome to hear.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Nice of him to be there supporting the guys.

Probably interested, like many of us were/are, to see Mangini drum Dream Theater songs on a small kit.

I wonder if he sang along to some of the songs, or just sat there taking it all in, like how the guy next to me was just standing there taking it all in and clapping after the song.

Upon reflecting the show, man feels like a long time since I saw the first show, the best part of the set for me was the transition from About to Crash into The Ministry of Lost Souls. I love when random songs transition or crossfade into another, and when the ending to ATC was coming up, I was thinking "where would they go from this?", Then my eyes lit up when I heard TMOLS banging intro, I was all...."That was perfect"...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kocak

I remember a comment of his in the vein of never having attended a DT show before. Well, now he has.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Nice of him to be there supporting the guys.

Probably interested, like many of us were/are, to see Mangini drum Dream Theater songs on a small kit.

I wonder if he sang along to some of the songs, or just sat there taking it all in, like how the guy next to me was just standing there taking it all in and clapping after the song.

Upon reflecting the show, man feels like a long time since I saw the first show, the best part of the set for me was the transition from About to Crash into The Ministry of Lost Souls. I love when random songs transition or crossfade into another, and when the ending to ATC was coming up, I was thinking "where would they go from this?", Then my eyes lit up when I heard TMOLS banging intro, I was all...."That was perfect"...

Yeah that transition was perfect. This is also my favorite encore I’ve seen from them. Yes that includes A Change of Seasons. The Count of Tuscany is arguably the most satisfying sounding closer they have, and I got to cross another big favorite of mine off the live list with them playing it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Letter M

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=506157400878936&id=100044540401846

Mike took pics with every band member except Myung.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

MP just added in a comment: "PS - Of course I spent time w John Myung as well...(in fact went to the show with his family), we just didn't snap a pic"
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MirrorMask

-Marc.

The photo of James and him together is probably the first good thing happened in 2022 so far!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
I expected James would welcome Mike during the concert because no matter what James is a class act human but taking photo with Mike? I didn't expect that and James has every right not to talk with him again. But that's super cool that him and Mike united after 10-11 years. A quick small chat and a photo just made me smile. Hope their relationship grows nicely after that because no matter what deep down inside I want reunion concert at least once for the near future. 
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

Frankly, I don't really care for a reunion (not in a bad way, as in "MP stay the phuck away from DT", I'm just happy with the band as it is), but I do want James and Mike to patch it up and be on good personal terms again. I hope this is a stepping stone for that. I mean, they're growing older, it's been 10 years, there's been a pandemic (and still there is) and now there's war, it is so important that 10-15 years ago MP complained about James' performance? time to bury the hatchet, life could end tomorrow and sadly it's not anymore a way of saying.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

-Marc.

That's so cool. MPs caption about attending his 1st Dream Theater show is hilarious

Offline Trav86

Delete. Portnoy’s comment pretty much stated what I said.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
That photo of Mike and James :heart

So happy for both of them.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I am SO HAPPY.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

That photo of Mike and James :heart

So happy for both of them.

Finally :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm actually happier to see the pic of MP and MM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

*Imagines what DT16 would be like with both drummers*

Offline gzarruk

Yes :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline emtee

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That is awesome, and what mirrormask said.  :metal

Offline Trav86

Frankly, I don't really care for a reunion (not in a bad way, as in "MP stay the phuck away from DT", I'm just happy with the band as it is), but I do want James and Mike to patch it up and be on good personal terms again. I hope this is a stepping stone for that. I mean, they're growing older, it's been 10 years, there's been a pandemic (and still there is) and now there's war, it is so important that 10-15 years ago MP complained about James' performance? time to bury the hatchet, life could end tomorrow and sadly it's not anymore a way of saying.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline 425

Video of James's shoutout to MP has been posted on reddit. The audio quality isn't that great, but you can hear a lot of what he says.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It just keeps loading. It's not playing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

Hmm. Does this link work any better for you?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hmm. Does this link work any better for you?

Nope. :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
You aren't missing too much. James pointed out MP was in the crowd, most people turned around and clapped, a lot of people threw up phones and snapped pics/videos of MP, the show proceeded. It was a quick cordial gesture but I wouldn't read much into it. At most, it appears the hatchet is buried based on the backstage picture and caption.

Offline MirrorMask

Exactly, as someone else said, the public shoutout during the show was kinda "mandatory", it's a concert, MP is there, everyone will recognize him, it was kinda a given that the frontman "had" to call for him. The backstage pic was not necessary and it shows  that, at the very least, they finally talked.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
So, there was a lot "right" about Saturday night, I have to tell you.

TAC was right; the ending of AVFTTOTW is WAY better live.  I really enjoyed that.

vmadera was right; his seats were AWESOME.

I was right; as James goes, so goes Dream Theater.

A couple other posters were right; James has been ON FIRE lately. I thought he was amazing Saturday, and it really elevated the show. 

The band was really tight; not a lot of "adventure" or "danger", but it's not that kind of show, so it's not a negative thing to say. 

That was a really good experience for me (including meeting up with some old and new friends before the show). 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

:heart