News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Distant Memories - New live release

Started by T-ski, September 23, 2020, 08:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WilliamMunny

Question for everyone:

Live at Luna Park is available to buy/watch from Itunes, but from what I can tell, Distant Memories is only available physically.

If I purchase the CD/Blu-Ray do I get a download code for the video?

(I like to watch video on my phone when I'm slogging away on the treadmill:)

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: WilliamMunny on March 21, 2021, 01:03:29 PM
Question for everyone:

Live at Luna Park is available to buy/watch from Itunes, but from what I can tell, Distant Memories is only available physically.

If I purchase the CD/Blu-Ray do I get a download code for the video?

(I like to watch video on my phone when I'm slogging away on the treadmill:)
not as far as I know you don't.

WilliamMunny

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on March 21, 2021, 01:05:46 PM
Quote from: WilliamMunny on March 21, 2021, 01:03:29 PM
Question for everyone:

Live at Luna Park is available to buy/watch from Itunes, but from what I can tell, Distant Memories is only available physically.

If I purchase the CD/Blu-Ray do I get a download code for the video?

(I like to watch video on my phone when I'm slogging away on the treadmill:)
not as far as I know you don't.

Thanks for the quick response...kind of a bummer, but I will keep my eyes open for a future streaming release.

I'm all about physical product, but these days, my time 'at the gym' is pretty much the only time I have to really enjoy stuff like this.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: WilliamMunny on March 21, 2021, 01:11:26 PM
Quote from: Max Kuehnau on March 21, 2021, 01:05:46 PM
Quote from: WilliamMunny on March 21, 2021, 01:03:29 PM
Question for everyone:

Live at Luna Park is available to buy/watch from Itunes, but from what I can tell, Distant Memories is only available physically.

If I purchase the CD/Blu-Ray do I get a download code for the video?

(I like to watch video on my phone when I'm slogging away on the treadmill:)
not as far as I know you don't.

Thanks for the quick response...kind of a bummer, but I will keep my eyes open for a future streaming release.

I'm all about physical product, but these days, my time 'at the gym' is pretty much the only time I have to really enjoy stuff like this.

Not that I know of either. But, you can just make a playlist on YouTube.

Dublagent66

Quote from: PetFish on March 20, 2021, 05:28:32 PM
Quote from: wolfking on March 19, 2021, 05:27:56 PM
I finally got around to having a bit of a listen to this.  Only listened to the first set but I love James and always have, but jeez, he's getting harder and harder to listen to.

I've said this as well and there's two things that stand out to me:

1)  He always seems out of breath, taking many mid-sentence and mid-word pauses.
2)  The way he goes "wwwwww" before a lot of words.

I think #2 has been around for quite a while now but #1 I feel has only been happening recently.

I think he started doing #2 back on Score, perhaps even earlier on L@B.  It's kind of a lazy way of singing in order to lead up to certain notes that may be difficult to nail outright, but I don't recall him doing it very often.  Just on certain songs.  I don't recall it happening on BTFW.  Not 100% sure.

Overall, he's still pulling off most of everything he does with a few changes here and there.  Most of the time his improvs work, but when they don't, it can be cringeworthy.  These guys play those songs over and over, show after show.  They can't play them the same exact way every single time.  I notice improvisations in JP's playing too and sometimes they don't always work.  That's the nature of the beast.

Lupton

OK. I know I'm super late to the party...but I just got this in the mail. Going to check the video out tonight (providing everything plays and my copy doesn't turn out defective). Now I just need to make sure I have enough beer...

ReaPsTA

I haven't purchased a Dream Theater show since Score but got this one.

First release to feel like a concert *film*. I don't know what the specific technique is, but there's a way they do the camera work where the stage feels twice as big as in real life and the band members come off as rock stars. Budokan is still the gold standard, but this feels in the same league. Blu-Ray quality is very nice.

The performance is solid and has good energy. Band members all look like they enjoy being there. Something something LaBrie's singing something something Mangini vs. Portnoy. Yes you're right if I had one chance to show someone a Dream Theater concert video I wouldn't use this but as a fan I enjoy it. Mix is solid. Not as good as Score and earlier videos but better than Luna Park/Behind the Fourth Wall.

Solid product no complaints.

PetFish

My BRs don't work in my BR player.  It says "invalid media".  LaserCD isn't returning my calls.  I don't have any other BR players to test on.

Are they secretly 4K discs?

cramx3

Quote from: PetFish on June 07, 2021, 05:16:31 PM
My BRs don't work in my BR player.  It says "invalid media".  LaserCD isn't returning my calls.  I don't have any other BR players to test on.

Are they secretly 4K discs?

I have no issue with my BR discs

Cool Chris

Wait a minute, wait one goddamn minute.

The real issue here is.... where has ReaPsTA been?!

TAC

He's been watching Live At Budokan.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: ReaPsTA on June 07, 2021, 04:35:21 PM
I haven't purchased a Dream Theater show since Score but got this one.

First release to feel like a concert *film*. I don't know what the specific technique is, but there's a way they do the camera work where the stage feels twice as big as in real life and the band members come off as rock stars. Budokan is still the gold standard, but this feels in the same league. Blu-Ray quality is very nice.

The performance is solid and has good energy. Band members all look like they enjoy being there. Something something LaBrie's singing something something Mangini vs. Portnoy. Yes you're right if I had one chance to show someone a Dream Theater concert video I wouldn't use this but as a fan I enjoy it. Mix is solid. Not as good as Score and earlier videos but better than Luna Park/Behind the Fourth Wall.

Solid product no complaints.


What did you think about the SFAM set of the show?

I thought it was good, and a nice way to celebrate it's anniversary and a way to play the album again to newer fans, or those unable to catch the original SFAM shows. I thought it was nice to hear it as it is on the album, and without the extras that are included on the Live Scenes DVD, like extended sections, and special guests (It was great to hear the hypnotherapist on time, and JP not speeding up the intro of Finally Free to the actor speaking too fast.  :lol )


Setlist Scotty

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on June 07, 2021, 07:20:10 PM
I thought it was nice to hear it as it is on the album, and without the extras that are included on the Live Scenes DVD
....which is the whole reason why you listen to the album proper in the first place.  ::)  Live, especially when you're playing the whole album straight through, is the time to make changes. And no, I don't count that super brief drum break in FT or MM's drum soloing on FF enough to make a difference. They could've done something more, just as they did when they did all of IaW during the 2017 tour.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Cool Chris on June 07, 2021, 06:48:57 PM
Wait a minute, wait one goddamn minute.

The real issue here is.... where has ReaPsTA been?!
Seriously.

:uny:
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

ReaPsTA

Quote from: Cool Chris on June 07, 2021, 06:48:57 PM
Wait a minute, wait one goddamn minute.

The real issue here is.... where has ReaPsTA been?!

Lurking sometimes, but mostly just around.

Hope you've been well.

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on June 07, 2021, 07:20:10 PM
What did you think about the SFAM set of the show?

I thought it was good, and a nice way to celebrate it's anniversary and a way to play the album again to newer fans, or those unable to catch the original SFAM shows. I thought it was nice to hear it as it is on the album, and without the extras that are included on the Live Scenes DVD, like extended sections, and special guests (It was great to hear the hypnotherapist on time, and JP not speeding up the intro of Finally Free to the actor speaking too fast.  :lol )

Was unexpectedly good when I saw it live. The album has an energy to it that doesn't really come out on the record. Not a huge Beyond This Life fan generally, but it slaps live. Distant Memories captures this reasonably well.

On the other hand, Live Scenes is the culmination of Dream Theater coming back from near death to cement themselves as legends of the genre. I agree with Scotty that the little changes there were cool.

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on June 08, 2021, 08:08:46 AM
Seriously.

:uny:

because it's all about

US

NOT

YOU

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

geeeemo

Ok. Was just watching again. Jordan's solos in the middle of Home are  :hefdaddy
Of course so is the rest!

Cool Chris

Somehow I've avoided this release this whole time! Gave it a good listen the last couple days. Found the non-Scenes material solid and enjoyable, the DoT songs play really well live. The Scenes performance was solid, though I do not know how much it is warranted with the 2000 release - which I have not listened to in ages. I didn't catch this tour so this was my first real experience with this show.

Something about the sound seemed off to me, and I cannot put my finger on what it was. I was listening through ear buds so that be part of it. And I haven't listened to their other live releases so cannot say how they compare. Am I imagining something?

TAC

Quote from: Cool Chris on May 17, 2022, 07:35:26 PM

Something about the sound seemed off to me, and I cannot put my finger on what it was. I was listening through ear buds so that be part of it. And I haven't listened to their other live releases so cannot say how they compare. Am I imagining something?

Their last three live releases have way too much of a studio feel to me. Not sure if it's a click track thing, or there's too much studio work done on it. The crowds seem fake to me as well.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Cool Chris

I haven't listened to Luna Park or 4th Wall in a while, though I've watched those videos more than I've just listened to the audio, and I shouldn't compare listening with my ear buds to my home theater setup. I'll try and listen to them this week to compare.

Ben_Jamin

Coincidentally, my Fiio played the SFAM tracks I joined together (Intro - Fatal Tragedy) on shuffle earlier today, and I decided why not listen to the entire SFAM portion. I enjoy the way Mangini plays these songs, especially, Home. This is one version of Beyond This Life I actually enjoy too, and it was great to see it live twice.

The highlights for me are Through Her Eyes, Home, and Finally Free.