Author Topic: Your go-to YouTube videos?  (Read 7631 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your go-to YouTube videos?
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2023, 02:42:54 PM »
I sort of like the vocal coach discussions; I learn something more often than not, but general reaction videos?  I'm glad people get pleasure from them - seriously - but music is so personal to me, I really doesn't do much for me to watch others react.  I'm more into my own reaction, you know?

I get that, but I still enjoy them sometimes.  Kind of like the movie and TV reactions, it's like sharing something I like with somebody else, getting to watch them hear it for the first time (or, if not a first time, getting to watch them dig in and analyze it).  I think almost anyone who is into music has had the desire to share that music with someone and get to see the person experience it for the first time and give their take.  This is that, just in a different format.  So that's why I enjoy it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2023, 02:47:50 PM »
Reaction videos are okay if they 1. Bring something interesting to the table in terms of discussion and insight into the topic being discussed or the content reacted to, and 2. Actually show respect for the source material they are watching and comply with fair use doctrine. But there's a crap tonne of content which is just people taking popular videos, playing them wholesale while bringing the odd fatuous comment to the table once every 5 minutes. Can't stand the latter type.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2023, 02:57:24 PM »
Reaction videos are okay if they 1. Bring something interesting to the table in terms of discussion and insight into the topic being discussed or the content reacted to, and 2. Actually show respect for the source material they are watching and comply with fair use doctrine. But there's a crap tonne of content which is just people taking popular videos, playing them wholesale while bringing the odd fatuous comment to the table once every 5 minutes. Can't stand the latter type.

I think that's what I don't like the most.  I like the singers who comment on the vocal teachnique or what not, in detail and with technical specificity.  I can do without the "BRO!! SICK SOLO!!" and the fake air guttering in the background.  That brings nothing to me.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2023, 12:12:22 PM »
The only cooking videos I ever watch are strictly technique. I generally have zero interest in manufactured intrigue or drama. Gordon Ramsey is a pretty decent teacher, but I can't stand any of his shows. I really like these two, though. It's a former Iron Chef and his kid, and they reuse the IC premise, but begin with pretty bad food. The dad will start with something like a McD's happy meal or a Domino's pizza and turn it into something great. I forgot about it for a while, and now they started going down the frozen TV dinner and other prepared foods path. The level of spontaneous creativity this dude sports is fascinating to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsxb5kXfsSE
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JLa

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2023, 03:49:37 PM »
I enjoy watching the channel "Retro Game Corps". Russ, the guy running the channel, does these really in-depth reviews of handheld retro gaming consoles and mini pc's. Although the videos are often 30-40 minutes long (!), they always focus on the user experience of the devices, rather than a tech spec, benchmarking snooze fest.

If you are a 80/90's kid looking for a way to play those old retro gaming systems, give the channel a go.

https://www.youtube.com/@RetroGameCorps

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2023, 09:44:43 PM »
i've watched this six times... find something new each time :lol

https://youtu.be/77Mag2pykDw
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline HOF

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2023, 09:30:30 AM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2023, 09:54:01 AM »
i've watched this six times... find something new each time :lol

https://youtu.be/77Mag2pykDw

You spent 48 hours watching that?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2023, 10:46:01 AM »
A lot of Devin Townsend related stuff. I know I'm gonna get a good laugh or some good insight to his creative process in the studio etc.  Reaction videos to his songs are fun too.  He's fun to listen to with his interviews and podcasts.
I also enjoy Rick Beato, Mike the Music Snob, and Ben Eller.   John Petrucci interviews are always cool.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2023, 11:21:35 AM »
this is the greatest youtube video ever made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bF6QipA3iQ
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2023, 11:31:00 AM »