Author Topic: Your go-to YouTube videos?  (Read 7634 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Your go-to YouTube videos?
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2022, 06:24:59 AM »
How could I forget to mention Hot Ones? Sean Evans is the best interviewer I've ever seen.
:facepalm: Same with me.  Holy crap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2022, 09:13:49 AM »
Love watching YouTube videos on my PS5.  :2metal:

I have a roku in my basement, amazon firestick in my bedroom, and the smart tv in the living room does youtube well enough to not need one of the devices, and I do enjoy controlling youtube via my phone on all my TVs. 

Yeah, I used to control it with my phone, but my 55" LED TV is around 8 years old (not 4k) and streaming was periodically interrupted.  The PS5 is a streaming monster capable of up to 8k.  The difference is like night and day.  Definitely need to upgrade the TV eventually.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2022, 09:36:15 AM »
How could I forget to mention Hot Ones? Sean Evans is the best interviewer I've ever seen.

I actually don't like the guy at all, but the series is pretty good just because of the reactions from the hot sauces

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2022, 09:59:00 AM »

I actually don't like the guy at all, but the series is pretty good just because of the reactions from the hot sauces
I only like it for the curiosity of who can handle it and who cannot. Gordon Ramsey completely fell apart while Rachael Ray basically taunted the guy. That's the sort of thing I find interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2022, 10:13:38 AM »

I only like it for the curiosity of who can handle it and who cannot. Gordon Ramsey completely fell apart while Rachael Ray basically taunted the guy. That's the sort of thing I find interesting.

Yeah, that's way more interesting than the softball interview questions. Gordon's first time on was very entertaining  :lol

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2022, 01:40:00 PM »
I try to use youtube to not get lost in it. I try to regulate things that are beneficial to me and just plain entertainment that can get me lost for hours on useless videos. Having said that, I love me some entertainment. my list is as follows:

Davie 504
Mike Winger
Cosmic Skeptic
THE BEAT by Allen Parr
The Veritas Forum
Ben Shapiro
Joe Rogan
Markiplier

Those are the top ones I could think of.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2022, 02:11:17 PM »
PhilosphyTube - Video essays on philosophical concepts, usually framed using current events and politics.
Steve1989MREinfo - A guy eats military rations ranging from Modern ones to the 19th century. Quite therapeutic.
Food Wishes - Food recipes. This guy has been doing videos for over a decade.
Adam Ragusea - A foodtuber who does high quality recipe and food themed video essays.
Lockpickinglawyer - A lawyer. Who lockpicks.
Kurzgesagt - A beautiful mix of gorgeous animation, scientific wonder and existential dread

Gaming youtubers:

Many A True Nerd
Purgegamers
Jim Sterling
Raycevik
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2022, 02:15:11 PM »
Steve1989MREinfo - A guy eats military rations ranging from Modern ones to the 19th century. Quite therapeutic.
I don't know why, but I find his channel fascinating. I think part of it is basic curiosity, and part of it is the design that goes into an MRE. They're actually quite impressive.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2022, 02:25:53 PM »
I don't know why, but I find his channel fascinating. I think part of it is basic curiosity, and part of it is the design that goes into an MRE. They're actually quite impressive.

For me its a combination of his obvious enthusiasm for the items and their history, the fact he can make even the blandest meal pack sound like an absolute treat, and the technical aspect as you describe.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2022, 04:50:20 PM »
Any video from the 80s featuring David Lee Roth.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2022, 06:55:59 AM »
Yeah, that's way more interesting than the softball interview questions.
I don't understand the comment in this context.  Softball, I guess, in that he's not a hard-hitting investigative reporter trying to grill some controversial celebrity to get to the bottom of a crime.  But Sean Evans definitely does great research to ask celebrities questions on his show that they don't get in normal press junket interviews, questions they actually have to think about and can't give a canned response. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2022, 08:20:40 AM »
I'm big on youtube videos, these are the main channels where I try and watch every release:

Sampson Boat Co - Dude buys a 100 year old wooden boat, starts restoring it. I binged this channel a few months ago and it's fascinating to see the amount of work and skill put into restoring the boat
M539 Restorations - Guy in Germany who does some of the most amazing restorations on older BMW's. He is incredible skilled and has really thorough videos. I wish I had his channel as reference when I had my old BMW
AMMO NYC - Car detailer with an amazing garage, I love watching his barn find details. He also helped me get into car detailing and is a wealth of knowledge
Savagegeese - Car reviews
RegularCars - Offensive regular car reviews
Todd In The Shadows - Pop music review. I love his in depth trainwreckords reviews on terrible albums made by artists
SuperfastMatt - Former Tesla engineer putting a tesla drive train in a Jag MK5
B Is For Build - Car builder, not a fan of all his builds but fun to watch nonetheless
Noah Caldwell-Gervais - Video game reviewer and essayist. If you like video games you have to watch some of his retros. They are long but I can't stress enough how good he at examining all angles of writing to video game play mechanics. Check out his Red Dead video, it's a great start.
LGR - Old computer tech reviews, really pulls at my nostalgia watching him review 90's and 00's tech
Channel 5 with Andrew Callaghan - Former All Gas No Brakes interviewer, hard to describe his videos but worth checking out if you're bored
Rick Beato - Don't watch everything but I enjoy his "What makes this song great?" series as well his music theory videos
Ola Englund - Great guitar player, awesome gear reviews, seems like a cool guy
Cramx3 - Weird channel with concerts and games, think he lurks on the forum here
BlobVanDam - Love seeing his videos come up.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2022, 09:07:55 AM »

For me its a combination of his obvious enthusiasm for the items and their history, the fact he can make even the blandest meal pack sound like an absolute treat, and the technical aspect as you describe.
Yea it's like it's own little time capsule. It's fun when he finds MREs that's been completely intact. I love how relived his audience are whenever he uploads a new video because they're worried he's been posioned or really sick by the MREs.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2022, 11:18:54 AM »
BlobVanDam - Love seeing his videos come up.

+1  :biggrin:

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2022, 11:24:18 AM »
-Smosh (mostly their unscripted content)
-TWD98 (the most prominent figure in a still thriving Mario Kart Wii community)
-Jason Paradise (a great Guitar Hero player who focuses more on having fun than playing extremely difficult stuff, even though he can hold his own in that regard as well)
-Adam Neely/Charles Cornell (I’m lumping them together because they cover music theory but also aren’t afraid to meme it up)
-Rob Scallon (he has the most adventurous and unique content in the entire YouTube guitar community)
-Tier Zoo (teaches about nature as if the entire living world is a video game)
-PartsFunKnown (Adam Blampied’s videos are the one thing still keeping me interested in professional wrestling)
-Tom Grossi (his football content is super creative and funny)
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2022, 10:30:53 PM »
-PartsFunKnown (Adam Blampied’s videos are the one thing still keeping me interested in professional wrestling)

All wrestling related videos should be narrated by Adam Blampied.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2022, 06:39:21 AM »
-Rob Scallon (he has the most adventurous and unique content in the entire YouTube guitar community)

I still believe that his acoustic version of Rain is one of the most beautiful, yet difficult to recreate, guitar related video I've seen.

Short version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-woP9ghLVE

Long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzBFgwkU0A
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2022, 06:53:14 AM »
I can’t believe I forgot this as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »
Talking about Hot Ones, Dave Ghrol was on it, and the dude had no reactions to any of the wings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nutcZOBGhjs

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2022, 10:15:27 PM »
My kid watches a channel called Come Play With Me. Their description is "COME PLAY WITH ME is an educational kid friendly toy doll channel featuring parody videos with various characters: Elsa, Anna, Barbie and many more!" I don't know how "educational" it is, but they have the dolls work and play together, go to school, get in trouble... the stories, while not complex, involve more than just playing around and being princesses. Since joining in 2014 their videos have 13,032,410,060 views, with some individual videos clocking in at hundreds of millions. That is crazy! My kid loves it; it is the only thing she ever asks to watch.

I just saw Undertaker has a Hot Ones video, I bookmarked to watch later.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2022, 05:03:40 AM »
I just discovered someone I think most of you will love. Elizabeth Zharoff, or "The Charismatic Voice." She's a professional opera singer and CUTE AS A FUCKING BUTTON. Seriously. She looks like a Dreamworks character, and I'm in love with her. Anyway, she reviews songs and stuff, giving good insight into theory and inner-workings of whatever she's listening to.

Here's her take on Tenacious D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJuUJ4k7B8

SHE'S SO ADORABLE AND SMART AND I LOVE HER.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2022, 05:24:24 AM »
I just discovered someone I think most of you will love. Elizabeth Zharoff, or "The Charismatic Voice." She's a professional opera singer and CUTE AS A FUCKING BUTTON. Seriously. She looks like a Dreamworks character, and I'm in love with her. Anyway, she reviews songs and stuff, giving good insight into theory and inner-workings of whatever she's listening to.

Yeah a good number of us know of her because of her DT song reactions and her interview with James. I like her channel.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2022, 05:25:49 AM »

Yeah a good number of us know of her because of her DT song reactions and her interview with James. I like her channel.
Oh cool, I didn't know she did an interview with James.

In this case, I assume you're also familiar with The Daily Doug?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2022, 05:35:11 AM »
Honestly, I think it's one of the best interviews I've seen of James. He was relaxed and clearly comfortable talking to another vocalist.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pItFsa8gRQo

And yeah, there is an entire thread about the Daily Doug. Even though I don't follow him as much, his stuff is good as well, some cool insights.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2022, 06:45:05 AM »
Honestly, I think it's one of the best interviews I've seen of James. He was relaxed and clearly comfortable talking to another vocalist.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pItFsa8gRQo

I agree with you, that interview is fantastic. It's so relaxed and natural that time just flies by.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2022, 07:41:55 AM »
I have been enjoying this girl's channel. She has great content and she explains things in a way that a schmuck like me can understand.

https://www.youtube.com/c/physicsgirl

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2023, 09:06:52 AM »
Big fan of a guy named "Joe CounterStrike", he juggles while playing CS:GO and it's the best  :hat
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2023, 10:53:17 AM »
Big fan of a guy named "Joe CounterStrike", he juggles while playing CS:GO and it's the best  :hat

this is one of my favorite YouTube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2023, 12:36:02 PM »

this is one of my favorite YouTube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

"Chocolate Rain" is a viral song created by TayZonday, whose real name is Adam Nyerere Bahner....
The song gained popularity on YouTube in 2007 due to its unique and catchy style, as well as TayZonday's deep voice.
The lyrics of the song touch on themes of racism and inequality.  :censored

Despite its simplicity, the song became a cultural phenomenon and helped TayZonday gain recognition as an internet personality.  :tup

If you have any specific questions about the song or its creator, feel free to ask!
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2023, 12:39:57 PM »
I'm a big fan of reaction vids, my favorite being Beth Roars...she has a simple style and is very knowledgeable in vocal techniques.

On a side note, I'll watch any and all reactions to Jinjer- Pisces, they are always priceless. This one is the best to date....

https://youtu.be/qWUUrdQfjn8?si=crhU-cl_VxCpt9dY

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2023, 11:47:10 AM »
Oh....two I forgot to mention, which is funny since I listen to them daily. We had a local radio talk station, KGO, that has been a part of the SF zeitgeist for decades. In a straight up financial decision, cumulus media decided to dump the talk format and instead replaced it with a plug and go sports betting format. These are talk show hosts that I spend every morning at work with, so the main two actually splintered off and started their own Youtube live shows.

The Nikki Medoro show (9-11am pst).. https://www.youtube.com/@thenikkimedoroshow

Casual talk with intermittent news

The Mark Thompson Show (11-1pm pst)... https://www.youtube.com/@themarkthompsonshow

A bit more serious talk, with tons of levity, and has some tremendous regular guests from the political arena.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2023, 11:55:20 AM »
On a side note, I'll watch any and all reactions to Jinjer- Pisces, they are always priceless. This one is the best to date....

I used to enjoy those.  But I got burned out when it became apparent that some were doing it just for the views and were obviously lying about not knowing beforehand what they were going to hear.  There are quite a few of those floating around.

I'm a big fan of reaction vids, my favorite being Beth Roars...she has a simple style and is very knowledgeable in vocal techniques.

Yeah, she's fun.  I haven't watch much of hers in awhile.  But I guess that's true of a lot of music reactions.  I've kind of moved on from most and mainly watch movie/tv show reactions now (which is kinda like watching a shorter version of a movie or show with a friend who hasn't seen it, so I gravitate toward that).

Davie 504

I'll occasionally dabble with some of his when I want a laugh and/or some good bass playing. 

Mike Winger

His apologetics content is generally top notch, but some of his more doctrinal stuff drives me bananas when he goes off the rails a bit and makes arguments that are just not good.

Oh cool, I didn't know she did an interview with James.

I rarely watch her channel anymore, both because I'm not as much into the music reactions anymore (as mentioned above) and because a lot of hers are songs or artists I don't really care for.  But her channel in general is top notch, and her interviews are generally VERY good because she takes a lot of time and is very casual and just gets people to open up and talk.  Her interview with Devin Townsend was great.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 12:03:12 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2023, 12:01:03 PM »

I used to enjoy those.  But I got burned out when it became apparent that some were doing it just for the views and were obviously lying about not knowing beforehand what they were going to hear.  There are quite a few of those floating around.

This!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2023, 01:59:19 PM »

This!

"OMG! FIRST TIME HEARING 'DON'T STOP BELIEVING'"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2023, 02:28:37 PM »
I sort of like the vocal coach discussions; I learn something more often than not, but general reaction videos?  I'm glad people get pleasure from them - seriously - but music is so personal to me, I really doesn't do much for me to watch others react.  I'm more into my own reaction, you know?