Author Topic: Your go-to YouTube videos?  (Read 7630 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Your go-to YouTube videos?
« on: February 10, 2022, 02:29:01 AM »
As much as I enjoy a good TV show, sometimes I just want to sit down at the computer and let my brain melt to youtube videos. Surely I'm not the only one? What do you guys like to watch on the regular?

For me:

Penn & Teller: Fool Us segments - show where aspiring magicians present tricks that Penn & Teller try to figure out. If they fool the duo, they get a spot to perform at P&T's Vegas show.
Corridor Crew - VFX crew that is extremely fun to watch. They analyze and break down VFX shots, sometimes have VFX "competitions", like following Bob Ross paintings in real time or seeing who can design the most satisfying video.
Dr. Mike - Doctor, obviously. It's fun to watch him react to medical scenes in shows/movies, react to medical memes, and explain other interesting things.
Millenial Movie Monday - Ashleigh Burton reacts to classic movies she's never seen. She has a pretty cool personality, so it's fun to watch her discover new movies.
[Profession] reacts to [profession scenes] - Lawyer reacts to courtroom scenes, veteran reacts to combat scenes, martial artist reacts to fight choreography, etc.
Additional reaction videos - I tend to enjoy people's reactions. Especially hip-hop fans reacting to metal/rock music. But other movie/music/stand-up reactions are enjoyable, too.

The rest is just random, but those are my main fixes. What about y'all?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Your go-to YouTube videos?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 07:46:39 AM »
I watch Fool Us on TV; great show.

The only one's I regularly watch on YouTube are Rick Beato's.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 08:20:45 AM »
Youtube is my primary source of televised entertainment nowadays.

Paul Harrell-- Intelligent and articulate gun guy talking gun stuff.
Practical Engineering-- guy does a great job of breaking down engineering stuff so that the laypersons can understand it.
Building integrity-- the opposite of above. This guy's been discussing the Champlain Towers collapse at a level beyond what most laypeople want to hear.
Tradecraft and "[Profession] reacts to [profession scenes]"-- pretty easy to get sucked into these things. Neat hearing about the things normal people never get to see inside of.
VINWiki--these pop up from time to guy. Essentially car people talking about driving stuff. Lots of Cannonball stories, and some of these guys are gifted story-tellers. (Covid began a golden era for Cannonballers.)
Aviation Safety Institute-- short videos breaking down civil aviation disasters. Thanks to modern flight sims they're producing slicker videos than Seconds From Disaster could have dreamt of.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 08:37:31 AM »
punkrockmba - for music related videos mostly of the punk/metal genres
jackfrags - general first person shooter gaming videos
jgod - for all things related to call of duty
cramx3 - shameless plug
Jim Powers - local guy who gets wayyyyyy better concert footage than I do for almost all the same concerts I attend

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 09:11:48 AM »
Yeah Jim Powers’ footage is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 09:32:08 AM »

I wonder if he will be at Ghost/Volbeat tonight, but I think not because he was at their show two nights ago.  I always try to spot him at shows and wonder how he does it :lol I joke with my gf/close friends that he is my arch rival on youtube.  But really, I subscribe to him and surprisingly he subscribes to me. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 09:55:56 AM »
Jim Powers - local guy who gets wayyyyyy better concert footage than I do for almost all the same concerts I attend
People like him are why I never bitch about people spending entire shows with their phones out. I never film or take pictures. That's not why I bought a ticket. I dig watching good quality videos of shows I was at, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 09:58:51 AM »

I wonder if he will be at Ghost/Volbeat tonight, but I think not because he was at their show two nights ago.  I always try to spot him at shows and wonder how he does it :lol I joke with my gf/close friends that he is my arch rival on youtube.  But really, I subscribe to him and surprisingly he subscribes to me.

And I subscribe to both of you!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 10:07:45 AM »
Love watching YouTube videos on my PS5.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 11:03:14 AM »
As much as I enjoy a good TV show, sometimes I just want to sit down at the computer and let my brain melt to youtube videos. Surely I'm not the only one? What do you guys like to watch on the regular?

The only thing that's even close to "on the regular" are Doug Helvering's "classical composer reacts" videos.  I will very occasionally watch Elizabeth Zharoff's "opera singer reacts" videos.  I used to watch someone who billed herself as "Rebecca Vocal Athlete" (similar to Zharoff) and a guy who called himself Weaboo (rap fan reacts to metal), but I haven't seen anything by either of them in probably a year or more.

Rick Beato's stuff is cool, but I don't watch regularly (usually just lists or songs I like a lot).

I watch a fair amount of SNL skits on YouTube.

I'm currently watching a series of videos where the guy plays through the ORIGINAL version of the first Final Fantasy game, but I've found myself skipping ahead a lot during the grinding and random encounters.  I also find the guy's delivery a bit annoying, so I won't be watching anything else he's done.

The "Everything Wrong With" videos are fun, but I only watch if it's a movie I've seen, which is only about 10% or less of what they post.

One of these days, I feel like I should start posting "lawyer reacts to courtroom scenes in movies/TV shows" videos.  They probably already exist, but I've never come across them.  It would be fun to do one on A Few Good Men, which is one of my all-time favorite movies.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 11:08:23 AM »
Love watching YouTube videos on my PS5.  :2metal:

I have a roku in my basement, amazon firestick in my bedroom, and the smart tv in the living room does youtube well enough to not need one of the devices, and I do enjoy controlling youtube via my phone on all my TVs. 

Youtube is my primary source of televised entertainment nowadays.

When I was in Europe a couple months ago, I only watched youtube and never bothered with the television.  I've yet to become streaming dominant at home, but if youtube was my only option, I think I'd be fine. 

And I subscribe to both of you!!!

danke! Hopefully have my first concert videos up tonight for Ghost/Volbeat

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 11:12:08 AM »
People like him are why I never bitch about people spending entire shows with their phones out. I never film or take pictures. That's not why I bought a ticket. I dig watching good quality videos of shows I was at, though.

I could have typed that. I never take video and can't say I have ever taken pictures except maybe before the show starts of the stage setup. The next day I usually scour the Tube for videos of someone who watched the whole show through their phone.

I really don't use YouTube that much. Mainly it is for trailers of shows or movies and the occasional music video or concert. There's a complete Biffy Clyro show from 2017 that I love watching. The Jinjer concert is up there from their label that is the basis for their live album.

Other than that, I watch the occasional Lost In Vegas reaction. I really respect those guys and their opinions.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 11:14:59 AM »

One of these days, I feel like I should start posting "lawyer reacts to courtroom scenes in movies/TV shows" videos.  They probably already exist, but I've never come across them.  It would be fun to do one on A Few Good Men, which is one of my all-time favorite movies.
The usual suspects (Vanity Fair, GQ, Wired, etc.) have "Lawyers react" videos, and there are a couple of guys that do it on their own. And every single one I've seen does AFGM claiming it's their all-time favorite, quoting the scene as it goes along (the whole movie is reduced to that one scene).  :lol

And I should have included on my list "Auditing the Audits." Analysis of cop/civilian encounters from a legal perspective.
E.F. Benson

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 11:20:33 AM »
GameGrumps...

And a bunch of other random stuff that's catches my eye.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 11:28:57 AM »
Adam Savage's Tested:
Adam savage just being Adam Savage, building and exploring all things hobby.
https://www.youtube.com/c/tested

Townsends
A dude whose family has spent generations bringing life in the 18th century to modern folk today. They'll make hollowed out canoes and log cabins and whatnot, but my favorite segments are when they take recipes out of 300 year old textbooks and cook the dishes in a period kitchen. It's great stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

Everyday Astronaut
A guy named Tim Dodd making super high quality and informative videos about getting stuff into space.
https://www.youtube.com/c/EverydayAstronaut

Cooking With Ry
Pretty sure this dude is loaded and in retirement, and always had a dream of making his own cooking show. He rarely cracks 10K views, but his production is top notch. And he does real world dishes, not monstrosities with a wow factor, which I like
https://www.youtube.com/c/CookingWithRy

Life in Jars?
A college kid who closes ecosystems in glass and reflects on them over time.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LifeinJars

My Mechanics
15-25 minute videos with ZERO dialog. Just footage of a guy taking tools or machines that were left to rot for decades and slowly restoring them. This channel is very soothing and zen-like
https://www.youtube.com/c/mymechanics
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 12:16:43 PM by Chino »

Online faizoff

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 11:29:35 AM »

The usual suspects (Vanity Fair, GQ, Wired, etc.) have "Lawyers react" videos, and there are a couple of guys that do it on their own. And every single one I've seen does AFGM claiming it's their all-time favorite, quoting the scene as it goes along (the whole movie is reduced to that one scene).  :lol

And I should have included on my list "Auditing the Audits." Analysis of cop/civilian encounters from a legal perspective.

I think I've seen Legal Eagle do a few movie reactions. I've only seen his take on My Cousin Vinny and not sure if he did anything else.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 11:31:07 AM »

The Nicholson scene is great, but the best legitimate lawyer move is when Captain Footloose is cross-examining the ER Librarian about the lack of reference to "code red" in any of the various manuals.  As Footloose is walking back to the prosecution table, Ethan Hunt gets up to redirect and grabs the book and asks the Librarian to turn to the section that explains where the mess hall is.  It was brilliant redirect, but also lucky AF that there wasn't anything in there about the mess hall (which is something that Risky Business couldn't actually have known beforehand).

The other super-legit one is the Mona Lisa Vito expert witness scene from My Cousin Vinny.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »
Love the Fool Us vids... Also love watching kid musical prodigies, nothing like an 8 year old covering LTE on the drums to make me feel completely unnacomplished in life. Pawn Stars is a solid goto for me as well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2022, 12:08:11 PM »
Life in Jars?
A college kid who closes ecosystems in glass and reflects on them over time.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LifeinJars
Sold!

My Mechanics
15-25 minute videos with ZERO dialog. Just footage of a guy taking tools or machines that were left to rot for decades and slowly restoring them. This channel is very soothing and zen-like
Last year I stumbled across this guy's channel, and soothing and zen-like is exactly how I found it. Russian dude builds a cabin in the middle of Bumfuck, Siberia using primitive techniques (and a chainsaw). You basically just watched him build. From what I recall he had a 9-5 job someplace, and only got out to work on his cabin for 2 weeks a year.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2022, 12:37:19 PM »

I think I've seen Legal Eagle do a few movie reactions. I've only seen his take on My Cousin Vinny and not sure if he did anything else.
He used to do a ton of movie stuff.  There have been so many real life legal things over the last few years that his movie/TV reacts have taken a back seat. 

Not sure if it's true or not, but he said that My Cousin Vinny is the best /most accurate legal movie, and that most of his lawyer friends agree.

I also watch:

Rick Beato
Adam Neely
Doug Helvering
Corridor Crew
Nerdist
Cigar Obsession
Joe Scott
Jeremy Siers
Whiskey Tribe
Rich Eisen

Some others I don't recall at the moment.

Also, David Letterman just created a channel where he uploaded a shitload of old clips, going all the way back to his Late Night days.  Brings back great memories.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2022, 01:09:16 PM »
Mediocre Amateur: Danny and the guys have fun and his cold delivery of humor is right up my alley.  A plus for the channel would be ideas for adventures of your own (Teewinot in Jackson will be my first stop; poptarts included  :biggrin:)
PowerfulJRE: Still watch/listen to JR most days.
Academy of Ideas: very in-depth channel with well presented ideas imo.
Jordan B Peterson: Podcast vids come over on his channel.  Personally, I need some trubrain to keep up at times...
Motivational Madness: can be cliche at times as well as lacking context for the clips presented, but I come away with new ideas to ponder most times.  Grain of salt for certain
ExplosmEntertainment (Cyanide and Happiness):  :lol
Binging with Babish: hocked some killer dishes from him
YuengManCooking: awesome, quick dishes.

Sometimes I'll just search for the old Jordan highlights and get a bit lost.  Have to be careful though... I tend to waste too much time on it.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:36:46 PM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »
When I talk of child prodigy vids, this is what I'm thinking of, jingle just brought it to my attention and this girl is just amazing...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPPVioejBw&feature=youtu.be

Offline Skeever

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2022, 01:13:12 PM »
I don't watch much YouTube, nor do I really watch TV except for live shorts and some cartoons with my son.

videogamedunkey is just about everything I want from a youtuber. Videos are generally pretty short (less than 10 minutes), funny, while also still making some good observations. Maybe a few music/gear youtubers but not with enough frequency to consider myself a loyal fan of any of them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 01:31:38 PM »
When I talk of child prodigy vids, this is what I'm thinking of, jingle just brought it to my attention and this girl is just amazing...

I probably wouldn't have thought much about this one, but Lifeson himself commented on the clip.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2022, 02:21:48 PM »
Tom Scott
Traveling all around the world doing videos about cool engineering projects and solutions.

SmarterEveryDay
I feel like I always learn something watching his videos.

Everyday Astronaut and Scott Manley
Very high quality space content.

Rick Beato and Charles Cornell
I kinda prefer Charles over Rick Beato atm but I watch both.

Leland Sklar
Him telling stories about artists he's worked with or sessions and touring stories from his incredible career.

Rick Shiels Golf
Everything golf.

Drumeo
Everything drums, very high quality content and amazing online clinics.

Doug Helvering and Professional Musicians React
Two great reaction channels, the only ones I really watch.

Ola Englund
The guitar player from The Haunted, I love his chillback and funny content even though i'm not a guitarist.

Hydralic Press Channel
lol

Pestily, AquaFPS, Jesse Kazam and Noiceguy Tarkov
Everything I need revolving the game Escape From Tarkov.

Forgotten Weapons and Demolition Ranch
Two gun channels I follow, one being very informative and the other being just funny shenanigans.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2022, 02:31:44 PM »

I probably wouldn't have thought much about this one, but Lifeson himself commented on the clip.   :tup
Her live perfomance with the Foo Fighters is so heartwarming to see.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2022, 02:32:40 PM »
Checked my history and wanted to add:

Dust: short movies... and by short I mean 10-15 minutes in most cases.  Science Fiction mostly
Health Nut: you'll just have to watch  :lol
Chase Mountains: Dude's gear reviews are solid imo... interesting short clips
Kraig Adams: he's at his best when he isn't talking (most of his videos).  He lets his steps speak for him.  Cool channel
Ryan Hall, y'all:  Meteorology channel.  He's fun and his analysis is normally spot-on
Shiey (Illegal Freedom): stumbled on this channel once and loved the idea.  Train surfing in Europe
James Kingston: good extreme sport fix for me.  Seriously sweaty palms for some of these

I'll search for vids of songs I'm learning to see how other guitarists handle them... no specific channels really.  Doing the same thing for drums now as well as I'm teaching myself.

I typically watch Youtube for 30-45 minutes at night before winding down and hitting the sack.  Some of these my wife will watch with me as well (especially the climbing, hiking channels).  That history covers that last year or so.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline romdrums

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2022, 02:42:50 PM »
I will watch drum YouTube videos all day.  Especially the product reviews.  Some ones that I watch:

Nick D'Virgilio w/ Sweetwater.  And not just because I work at Sweetwater as well.  Nick's videos are consistently great.

Drum Center of Portsmouth. Their product demos are killer, and I really like their snare drum shoot outs.

rDavidr. YouTube drummer who does a lot of DIY mods and in general works at (and succeeds in) getting less than optimal gear to sound great.  Plus, he's a really talented drummer.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2022, 03:00:08 PM »
Nick D'Virgilio w/ Sweetwater.  And not just because I work at Sweetwater as well.  Nick's videos are consistently great.
I love Nick, he has a great vibe and his videos are informative and entertaining.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 03:21:15 PM »
I mainly like watching gaming videos, like speedruns, TASes, Let's Plays, and analysis videos.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2022, 03:26:37 PM »
I will watch drum YouTube videos all day.  Especially the product reviews.  Some ones that I watch:

Drum Center of Portsmouth. Their product demos are killer, and I really like their snare drum shoot outs.

rDavidr. YouTube drummer who does a lot of DIY mods and in general works at (and succeeds in) getting less than optimal gear to sound great.  Plus, he's a really talented drummer.

Well, you may know Andrew Davis then... he's my sales rep.  Helped me quite a bit over the years.  I'll give Nick a try as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2022, 03:27:33 PM »

Well, you may know Andrew Davis then... he's my sales rep.  Helped me quite a bit over the years.  I'll give Nick a try as well.

Oh nice, Andrew Davis is one of my best friends (and I"m pretty sure we aren't talking about the same guy just literally the same name  :lol) You can see him featured in the intro to one of my Dream Theater videos

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2022, 03:48:38 PM »
I also search YouTube for live versions of songs. Video Game covers are some of these live videos. Such as this one...

Jonathan Coulton and Felicia Day Still Alive at PAX 2008
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2022, 10:19:31 PM »
How could I forget to mention Hot Ones? Sean Evans is the best interviewer I've ever seen.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2022, 05:40:26 AM »
*snip*
My Mechanics
Last year I stumbled across this guy's channel, and soothing and zen-like is exactly how I found it. Russian dude builds a cabin in the middle of Bumfuck, Siberia using primitive techniques (and a chainsaw). You basically just watched him build. From what I recall he had a 9-5 job someplace, and only got out to work on his cabin for 2 weeks a year.

Have you and I had this conversation once before? As I was posting that link, I was thinking to myself "I should specifically mention Barto on this one. He'd get this one". I think you've shared that channel before. I dig it.