Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52853 times)

Online nick_z

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)
« Reply #1785 on: April 03, 2022, 06:49:29 PM »
I guess I should give a brief explanation since my number is the official number one. 

I actually don't really remember the first time I heard this song.  I've mentioned Rush in Rio was my introduction and Subdivisions wasn't played on that.  However, the more I got into Rush, the more I simply gravitated towards the synth era.  There is just something about this song that puts it a cut above the rest for me. 

There is a certain atmosphere that this song possesses that not many other songs do.  When I hear the intro to this song, I just feel warm and know that the next five minutes is going to be a wonderful journey through the musical landscape and through the lyrics.  We can all relate to these lyrics in some aspects going through high school I'm sure.  I love Geddy's vocals here too, they just create part of that magical atmosphere.  That synth lead melody that we hear twice in the song is just one of the most calming most amazing pieces of music I've ever heard.  Alex's solo also is just so simple but so effective.  Those natural harmonics in there is so simple, but such class.

It's just an incredible song in every single aspect and for me I never get tired of hearing it and each time I do hear it, it cements its spot at number one.  An incredible piece of music from any band from any era.

Regardless of the specific ranking for this song (which comfortably sits in my Rush top 10 too!) - I can pretty much quote this post word-by-word. What a special, special song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1786 on: April 03, 2022, 06:50:29 PM »
Well said, wolfking.

I love how Rush often wrote songs using the conventional song structure, but did little tweaks that made them just a bit different, and yet they still worked.  Instead of singing the post-chorus line ("Any escape...") after the second chorus, they go into the solo, and then sing just that post-chorus line after the solo, never returning to the chorus, and go to the musical finish.  Just a bit different, but is brilliant in its execution.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1787 on: April 03, 2022, 06:56:55 PM »
So here’s how the final lost to the one I played.

Top 75:

75 Roll the Bones / Territories
74 Double Agent / Double Agent (right on the money here)
73 Prime Mover / Cut to the Chase
72 Open Secrets / Finding My Way
71 Test for Echo / Kid Gloves
70 Fly by Night / Red Sector A
69 Presto / Bravado
68 Countdown / [iTest For Echo[/i]
67 The Necromancer / Grand Designs
66 Emotion Detector / Marathon
65 Everyday Glory / Out of the Cradle
64 Show Don't Tell / Turn the Page
63 Something for Nothing / Trees
62 Driven / Caravan
61 Cut to the Chase / Lakeside Park
60 Cold Fire / Subdivisions
59 Bastille Day / Mission
58 A Passage to Bangkok / Circumstances
57 Different Strings / Prime Mover
56 Working Man / By-Tor and the Snow Dog
55 Clockwork Angels / Malignant Narcissism
54 New World Man / Freeze
53 Entre Nous / The Pass
52 Ghost of a Chance / The Enemy Within
51 Vital Signs / Heresy
50 Force Ten / Witch Hunt
49 The Enemy Within / Limelight
48 The Weapon / Different Strings
47 Digital Man / The Necromancer
46 Headlong Flight / Available Light
45 Circumstances / Where’s My Thing
44 Mission / One Little Victory
43 Closer to the Heart / A Passage to Bangkok
42 Caravan / Leave That Thing Alone
41 Bravado / Losing It
40 Leave That Thing Alone / Mystic Rhythms
39 Witch Hunt / Freewill
38 By-Tor and the Snow Dog / Countdown
37 Grand Designs / Distant Early Warning
36 Anthem / Manhattan Project
35 Mystic Rhythms / Anagram
34 Time Stand Still / You Bet Your Life
33 The Pass / Cygnus X-1
32 Dreamline / Animate
31 Middletown Dreams / Entre Nous
30 The Big Money / Working Man
29 Afterimage A Farewell to Kings
28 Animate / Hand Over Fist
27 The Garden / The Body Electric
26 A Farewell to Kings / Vital Signs
25 Losing It / The Spirit of Radio
24 Territories / Faithless
23 Cygnus X-1 / The Anarchist
22 Manhattan Project / Resist (the acoustic Rush in Rio version)
21 Red Sector A / The Main Monkey Business
20 Distant Early Warning / Anthem
19 Available Light / Bastille Day
18 The Trees / 2112
17 The Camera Eye / Headlong Flight
16 The Analog Kid / Tom Sawyer
15 Jacob's Ladder / Jacob’s Ladder (right on the money here, too)
14 Hemispheres / The Big Money
13 Between the Wheels / Chemistry
12 YYZ / Between the Wheels
11 Freewill / The Garden
10 Marathon / Red Barchetta
09 2112 / Xanadu
08 Limelight / Everyday Glory
07 Natural Science / YYZ
06 Tom Sawyer / La Villa Strangiato(right in the money again)
05 La Villa Strangiato / The Camera Eye
04 Red Barchetta / Middletown Dreams
03 The Spirit of Radio / Analog Kid
02 Xanadu / Hemispheres
01 Subdivisions / Natural Science

Ultimately, 19 songs were on my list that didn’t make it to the main list, which are Kid Gloves, Finding My Way, Out of the Cradle, Turn the Page, Lakeside Park, Malignant Narcissism, Freeze, Heresy,Where’s My Thing, One Little Victory, Anagram, You Bet Your Life, Hand Over Fist, The Body Electric, Faithless, The Anarchist, Resist, The Main Monkey Business and Chemistry.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: April 03, 2022, 07:17:10 PM »
Well said, wolfking.

I love how Rush often wrote songs using the conventional song structure, but did little tweaks that made them just a bit different, and yet they still worked.  Instead of singing the post-chorus line ("Any escape...") after the second chorus, they go into the solo, and then sing just that post-chorus line after the solo, never returning to the chorus, and go to the musical finish.  Just a bit different, but is brilliant in its execution.

YES!!!  Haha, that is fucking brilliant indeed!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!)
« Reply #1789 on: April 03, 2022, 07:45:41 PM »

01 Subdivisions
Appeared on 25 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 16
Highest Ranking: 1 (wolfking)

Fuck, I win!!!!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

TAC will be sending you your victory ice cream bars in a refrigerated truck by the end of next week.

I'll be waiting out the front for it too!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1790 on: April 03, 2022, 09:32:20 PM »
I had so looked forward to typing up my feedback today…but I’ve been dealing with some pretty hefty family drama all day, and I’m spent. I’ll spend some time in the man cave soon. I need it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1791 on: April 03, 2022, 09:32:52 PM »
I wouldn't have guessed Subdivisions to be #1 but I do think it's an incredible song.

Well said, wolfking.

Also, this.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: April 03, 2022, 11:39:15 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed ranking the songs and following the thread. Thank you to everyone who took part and, of course, the biggest thanks to Kev for managing the entire thing.

Hard to argue with Subdivisions. I just never get bored of hearing it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1793 on: April 04, 2022, 08:33:40 AM »
So here’s how the final lost to the one I played.
 [...]
Ultimately, 19 songs were on my list that didn’t make it to the main list, which are Kid Gloves, Finding My Way, Out of the Cradle, Turn the Page, Lakeside Park, Malignant Narcissism, Freeze, Heresy,Where’s My Thing, One Little Victory, Anagram, You Bet Your Life, Hand Over Fist, The Body Electric, Faithless, The Anarchist, Resist, The Main Monkey Business and Chemistry.

With the exception of Limbo, all Rush's instrumentals made my list, with Villa at #2; YYZ at # 5; TMMB at #16 (yes, I think is THAT good - what's wrong with you, guys?! ;)); WsMT (even better with extended guitar solo live) at #35; and MN at #56 (ok, this one could be more worked out, but still really good the way it is - what a bass line!!).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 10 - PLEASE NO SPOTLIGHTING)
« Reply #1794 on: April 04, 2022, 08:51:00 AM »

04 Red Barchetta
Appeared on 25 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 13
Highest Ranking: 1 (TAC)

03 The Spirit of Radio
Appeared on 24 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 13
Highest Ranking: 3 (The Realm)

Can I start off my saying I am astounded that The Spirit of Radio isn't on all 25 lists. Mind blown!

A couple people have said this: it's me, and I'm unapologetic about it. It's not like it was close either (I had it at #123).  It just doesn't grab me, and there are parts I really don't like (Geddy's vocal, the quasi-reggae breakdown).  I like the intro (both the guitar figure and when the band kicks in) but the rest falls flat for me. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1795 on: April 04, 2022, 08:58:15 AM »
4. Red Barchetta:  #11   Great tune on an album of great tunes.   
3. Spirit Of Radio: #123   Yeah, that's me who left it off my list, and it's staying off.
2. Xanadu:  #16
1. Subdivisions:  #4   I LOVE this song; it has my favorite Neil fill of all time, too (the snare roll that ends the intro section).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1796 on: April 10, 2022, 03:10:05 PM »
Ok....family drama prevented me from doing my post last weekend.  Studying for an certification exam at work kept me busy all week.  In short...my plate is so full.   But here we go.  My take on the sweet 16!!

16. The Analog Kid - Me #20

Excellent ranking for an excellent song.  This just serves to remind me what a brilliantly deep album Signals is.  I do think it could use a slightly more "punchy" remix, but it is what it is now.   Alex's guitar riff on this one in particular deserves to be a bit higher in the mix, but man what an incredible song.  Great riff.   And the part where Neil speeds up the tempo underneath the "...and the boy pulls down his baseball cap and covers up his eyes." part is pure goosebumps.

15. Jacob's Ladder - Me #6

This is the best example of a story being told through the music than almost anything in rock music.   If there were NO lyrics to this song at all, I would still know that it's about a thunder and lightning storm, and its aftermath.   The clapping sound (a vibra slap maybe?) on the one beat of "looming low and ominous" line is a perfect addition to symbolize a lightning strike.  And while some consider the middle section to be a slog, I consider it to be very gloomy and brooding...just like being in the storm.   Just a perfect song.   One thing that was never fully captured in the R40 video was the light show during the sunbeam section.   When they played it live (and if you had a second floor view looking down on the audience) there were "sunbeam" lights that came in from one side and made it look exactly like clouds had parted and the sun was breaking through on that part of the crowd.   It was amazing.

14. Hemispheres - Me #1

For SHAME!!!!   This low ranking truly bums me out.  I was hoping for #1, but I figured the odds were about 50/50.   But if you had told me that it wouldn't even make the top 10?  I would have said you were crazy.   This is quite possibly the greatest piece of rock music ever written by anyone period.    The message of balance was very appealing to a young mind that had a tendency to be an extremist, and saw the problems it sometimes caused.   So it's been something of guide for me in my life outlook.   Everything else I could say was probably already touched on in my earlier post.   But in short, it was a HUGE step up in songwriting from the largely patchworked 2112.   Hemispheres is the only side long that they ever did that truly sounded like a complete and cohesive "SONG".

13. Between the Wheels - Me #38

With this one, I'm actually a bit disappointed with my ranking...but the song does have a lot of competition.  Absolutely the best song on GUP.  And the mood is perfectly in harmony with the mood of the whole album.  Most of their album closers are very positive sounding songs.   This one is very dark and bleak, but that's GUP in a nutshell, so it works.

12. YYZ - Me #12

Hey!  I think this is the first song that I nailed the final ranking on!  Their second best instrumental of all time.  And the ESL version with the drum solo is the definitive version.  I think that's the only drum solo that I actually memorized note for note in my entire life.   Neil always talked about have a musicality to his drum solos and that one was probably the perfect example.    It wasn't until almost 20 years after the fact that I discovered (via an older interview) that the intro beat was morse code for YYZ.   I felt especially stupid because my dad was a ham radio and morse code nut...I probably could have won some points with my rock music if I had shown him that.

11. Freewill - Me #11

Hey!   Two in a row!!  I'm on a roll!    :metal   This and TSOR are probably the main reason I consider PeW to be a better introduction to what Rush is all about than MP.    Even though Tom Sawyer is certainly career defining (and certainly hooked me on the first listen) I just think that the one two punch of TSOR and Freewill to be a bit more happy and accessible and yet still very much musically complex.   The instrumental bridge is pretty much Rush encapsulated. 

10. Marathon - Me #10

Ok...three in a row?  Now it's just funny! :rollin :rollin :rollin  My 2nd favorite from Power Windows.  Very worthy of the top 10 showing.   And it's true what has been said previously...the studio version is excellent, but it absolutely goes to another level live. 

9. 2112 - Me #25

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the top 10 showing.   It's classic, and I love the individual bits, but on the whole, it really doesn't feel like a complete song the way Hemispheres does.   The stop/starts are similar to TFOL and it takes away from the pace of the "song" quite a bit.   But definitely the opening 2 parts and the ending 2 parts are phenomenal.

8. Limelight - Me #19

Another one that I wish I had ranked a bit higher.   But it's also the perfect example of how impossible it is to come up with even a top 20 for such an amazing catalog.  Absolutely one of Alex's finest solos and the lyrics being Neil's "love letter" of a sort to his audience is really something.   It's just seemed to say, "I understand...but I don't know you.  So please understand me."

7. Natural Science - Me #2

This song actually has a pretty big following around these parts, so I'm a bit surprised it didn't make the top 5.  As much as I enjoyed seeing it live on a couple of occasions, I've always been slightly bummed by the altered version.  I really enjoy all 3 verses of the Permanent Waves section of the song, and I think the lyrics flow into each other really well.   It always feels like something is missing when they leave one out.  But the original is about as perfect as it gets.

6. Tom Sawyer - Me #14

Ah yes.  The one that started it all.   I heard this for the first time when someone brought a copy to the last day of school (a free day) in the 6th grade.   That opening synth intro hit me like a lead brick that I still feel to this very day.   I was in love immediately, and I begged my parents to get me the album.   My parents were very conservative, and monitored my music habits closely, but they were unable to find anything particularly objectionable about these three nice boys from Canada, so Moving Pictures became the very first album I ever bought that summer.   Still one of the best albums in all classic rock.   Usually, the most popular album by a band is often considered to be not really their artistic best.   But there were a few rare moments when the public "got it right".    Moving Pictures is among those rare "lightning in a bottle" albums.

5. La Villa Strangiato - Me #3

This is the song that I ever so reluctantly bumped Territories down to #4 for.  It was extremely difficult, but in the end, I do feel it was the correct decision.   This is Rush at their instrumental zenith.   I don't think I've ever tired of this song.  Peak performance by all 3 of them. 

4. Red Barchetta - Me #7

My favorite and highest ranking MP track makes the top 5.   Niiiiiiice.   Another great example of the music telling as much of the story as the lyrics do.    And the story really drives it.   I believe it was Neil's last point blank narrative story until Clockwork Angels.   My favorite part part is immediately after the guitar solo when they go back into the main driving riff just before the last verse.   On one tour (don't remember which one off the top of my head) they took it waaaaaayyyy down and lengthened it up and I thought the "tension building" of that was so perfect for the song.  Not sure it would have worked on the studio version proper, but I always remember thinking that in a live setting it felt like an improvement.

3. The Spirit of Radio - Me #9

Stadler...I never questioned your tastes...not ever....until now.    Seriously?   I just do not get how any Rush fan cannot have this in their top 20 at a bare minimum.   And even if it were in the upper teens I'd be shocked.   This song might be one of the "happiest" prog rock songs ever.   Right up there with Turn It On by Genesis (and I think TSOR is superior in that department).   That's probably why I think that it's a better "first song" for someone who hasn't heard Rush than even Tom Sawyer.    This song is so much fun.  And it's great when you're driving.

2. Xanadu - Me #5

There was a time when I had burnt out on this a bit.  But my brother has been sharing Rick Beato videos with me lately, and when Rick did a breakdown of every bit and layer of Xanadu and what makes it such a gem, I was transported back to when I first fell in love with it.   And yet, it wasn't instant.    I was still a pretty new Rush fan when I picked up ESL, and I wasn't accustomed to longer songs yet.   But I loved Broon's Bane and the Trees, which of course, seamlessly led into Xanadu.   So it took a few spins for a 13yr old mind to wrap his head around.  But once I "got it", A Farewell to Kings became my next album purchase.   Another great memory of this song.   My first "Laser Rush" at the local Laserium at the Pacific Science Center.   It opened with Xanadu and it was AMAZING!    It was loud and it was incredible.   I remember that when the power chords hit about the 2 minute mark, an album cover would come flying towards you.  Every power chord, a new album cover came flying at your face....Rush, FBN, COS, 2112, ATWAS, AFTK, Hemi, PeW, MP, ESL, and Signals (the only albums released at the time)...then on the last one, the Starman symbol just hovered in the air.   It took my break away.

1. Subdivisions - Me #8

Really shocked this made it to #1.   But I'm not disappointed.   It's just really surprising.   The lyrics are among my favorite in Neil's entire catalog.   They perfectly capture the spirit of being young and dissatisfied with being away from the city...and then wanting nothing else but to get away from the city once you've been there.   Also, the idea of not fitting in certainly resonated with just about everyone in Rush's core fanbase.  And again, not to beat a dead horse here, but this was a great example of Rush going the synth route, but not sacrificing honesty and musicianship in the process.  There is **A LOT** going on in just the into of this song.   They did not dumb down their music just because they introduced synthesizers, and I think most people got that, which is why the synth era is still loved by many fans. 

WHEW!!  I did it!   I'll try to take some time to post my full list along with some more thoughts later.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1797 on: April 10, 2022, 07:42:13 PM »
Great thoughts, jammindude! Better late than never!!  :tup :tup

And go easy on Stadler for not ranking The Spirit of Radio.  He does like Kiss, after all...;)

Online nick_z

« Reply #1798 on: April 10, 2022, 07:46:33 PM »
Yes, great write-up!

Well, since this caused a mini-resurrection of the thread, I'm going to post my top 10...hadn't done it yet...

1   Natural Science
 2   Red Barchetta
 3   La Villa Strangiato
 4   Tom Sawyer
 5   The Spirit Of Radio
 6   Subdivisions
 7   Xanadu
 8   Animate
 9   Limelight
10  Middletown Dreams

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1799 on: April 10, 2022, 07:48:07 PM »

Stadler...I never questioned your tastes...not ever....until now.

Speaking of better late then never..

We've all been questioning Stadler's tastes for years now! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1800 on: April 10, 2022, 07:48:25 PM »
Great thoughts, jammindude! Better late than never!!  :tup :tup

And go easy on Stadler for not ranking The Spirit of Radio.  He does like Kiss, after all...;)

I like e KISS too .  Come at me brah! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1801 on: April 10, 2022, 07:50:48 PM »

The bad news is that he likes Kiss.

The good news is that he likes Taylor Swift.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1802 on: April 10, 2022, 07:51:52 PM »

I like e KISS too .  Come at me brah! :lol

You'll get yours at Morsefest. :P :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: April 10, 2022, 07:55:47 PM »
I can't wait to hug you then drop you on my signature move the DDT.  LOL.

My wife and I are just thrilled to be there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1804 on: April 10, 2022, 07:56:17 PM »
I'm too old to take a bump. :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1805 on: April 10, 2022, 07:57:14 PM »
He's so light on his feet now, you won't even feel it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: April 10, 2022, 08:00:25 PM »
I'm too old to take a bump. :lol :lol

No shit.  Love tou bud. Lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1807 on: April 10, 2022, 10:24:38 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1808 on: April 11, 2022, 06:45:24 AM »

Stadler...I never questioned your tastes...not ever....until now.

Speaking of better late then never..

Don't go into the Maiden thread, then. There's about a page and a half about the 80's era and the reunion era, and I disagree with basically every opinion there!  :) :) :)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: April 22, 2022, 10:22:25 AM »
Ok....family drama prevented me from doing my post last weekend.  Studying for an certification exam at work kept me busy all week.  In short...my plate is so full.   But here we go.  My take on the sweet 16!!

snipped

WHEW!!  I did it!   I'll try to take some time to post my full list along with some more thoughts later.

I really enjoyed all of your detailed write ups in this countdown.  Gave me a lot to think over, and look at some tunes in a different light.

Been meaning to post some follow up comments for weeks.  I felt pretty good for the most part on how my rankings matched up with others.  41 of my Top
Fifty made it, 56 of 75 total.  I nailed three, missed four others by one spot, a couple others by two, 22 of my Top 50 were within ten spots, 27 of the Top 50 within fifteen. 

The nine in the Top 50 that didn't make it were:

14.   Before And After  (Rush)
20.   Second Nature  (Hold Your Fire)
23.   What You're Doing  (Rush)
28.   Faithless  (Snakes And Arrows)
29.   Cinderella Man  (A Farewell To Kings)
35.   In The End  (Fly By Night)
41.   Beneath, Between & Behind  (Fly By Night)
43.   Finding My Way    (Rush)
45.   In The Mood  (Rush)
46.   Stick It Out   (Counterparts)

With a couple more 'older' respondents, and picking one hundred songs, I would assume that most (all?) of these would have made it. I have to listen to 'Before And After' just for the Pavlovian lead in for 'Working Man'.  Surprised 'Second Nature' didn't make it.

And just so you don't think the 'experienced' guy couldn't like the newer releases, 'Far Cry', 'The Main Monkey Business', 'Faithless', and 'Working Them Angels' from ‘Snakes And Arrows’ made my list.  The latter three are all on my third 'best of Rush' disc.

(I didn't do a breakdown of my DT list.  Probably just a handful didn't make it.  The Van Halen is going to be so unpredictable.  I might have fifteen that make it, I might have forty.  Absolutely no clue.)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online HOF

« Reply #1810 on: April 22, 2022, 10:34:12 AM »
I'm not one to shy a way from sentimentality or ballads, but Second Nature is too syrupy even for my tastes!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1811 on: April 22, 2022, 10:58:19 AM »
I'm not one to shy a way from sentimentality or ballads, but Second Nature is too syrupy even for my tastes!

I friggin' LOVE that song.  What a beautiful melody.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1812 on: April 22, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
I can safely say that I had done my current re-listen of their whole catalogue, which is almost finished, now instead of two months ago, Freeze and Nocturne both would have been in my top 50, and Earthshine and Vapor Trail would have been top 75 for sure.  Shame on me for having zero VT songs on my top 75.  :( :(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1813 on: April 22, 2022, 05:20:30 PM »
I can safely say that I had done my current re-listen of their whole catalogue, which is almost finished, now instead of two months ago, Freeze and Nocturne both would have been in my top 50, and Earthshine and Vapor Trail would have been top 75 for sure.  Shame on me for having zero VT songs on my top 75.  :( :(

Even I had 3 or 4 of them.

You can say it..."My list was not as good as TAC's". ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1814 on: April 22, 2022, 05:21:57 PM »
Why would anybody ever say that?

Online HOF

« Reply #1815 on: April 22, 2022, 05:43:48 PM »

Shame! Vapor Trail, Freeze, and Earthsine were all in my top 50. Nocturne might have made a top 100, not sure. It’s a good song though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1816 on: April 23, 2022, 02:20:25 PM »
You can say it..."My list was not as good as TAC's". ;)

Why would anybody ever say that?

Truth hurts.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung