Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52856 times)

Online HOF

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 10 - PLEASE NO SPOTLIGHTING)
« Reply #1610 on: March 31, 2022, 07:29:07 AM »
Limelight was one of the hardest songs to rank for me. Truly classic Rush, one of their signature songs for sure, probably only second in notoriety to Tom Sawyer. It’s certainly one of the Rush songs I’ve listened to most in my lifetime. It’s a really really great song deserving of a top 10 finish. But when I listen to Rush, I’m just less likely to reach for the radio staples, and I can honestly say I just love other songs more (even among the radio staples). I think I had it up maybe in the 30s or so in one of my initial lists, but it ended up at 61. Not a slight on the song at all, just reflective of how I feel about Rush’s catalog.

Same could be said of Natural Science, which I have at 72. I think it’s a really cool song, and I get why it’s a top tier Rush song for so many. It’s just the side of Rush that I’m less likely to reach for. I think this is one Rush song that you really hear pulled from by other bands. Dream Theater and Fates Warning at least. That riff in the verses is killer and quite metal. It’s got interesting lyrics for sure, and it’s just a musical tour de force. Great stuff by a great band, what else is there to say?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1611 on: March 31, 2022, 07:46:31 AM »
2112 is my #2 favorite song of all time. Along with my #1, it laid the foundation for the musical journey I've been on for the past 30 years. Part of my ranking at #1 is nostalgia, but I can put that song on any time, anywhere, and will still enthrall me just as it did back in high school when my friend Mike gave me a tape and said "you gotta listen to this song."

I think I can pick 2 of the 3 remaining songs that didn't make everyone's list. The third I am stumped on.

Don't leave us hanging... what's the number 1?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: March 31, 2022, 07:53:32 AM »
08 Limelight
Appeared on 25 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 10
Highest Ranking: 2 (nobloodyname, The Realm, ReaperKK)

This is one I actually did get tired of for a few years, but I have come back around on it to where I can enjoy the hell out of it again.  I think a good argument could be made that this song has Neil's most iconic lyrics, Alex's most recognizable riff, and Alex's most iconic guitar solo.  I had it at 17.

07 Natural Science
Appeared on 24 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 14
Highest Ranking: 1 (Setlist Scotty, Deadeye21, nick_z)

This was a top 10 Rush song for me for quite a few years, but while I still love it, it finished at 21 for me.  Still love it, but some have snuck past it.  When I first got into this song many, many years ago, a buddy opined that it could be Neil's most awesome song from a drumming standpoint. It's certainly in the conversation.  The whole song is a tour de force of awesomeness.

Limelight is at #38 for me, and Natural Science is at #65.  And I think I wrote earlier on that in hindsight, I would swap Natural Science and Cygnus X-1 (which is at #86).  So by rights, Natural Science shouldn't have made my list. 

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1613 on: March 31, 2022, 08:04:34 AM »
Limelight was one of the hardest songs to rank for me. Truly classic Rush, one of their signature songs for sure, probably only second in notoriety to Tom Sawyer. It’s certainly one of the Rush songs I’ve listened to most in my lifetime. It’s a really really great song deserving of a top 10 finish. But when I listen to Rush, I’m just less likely to reach for the radio staples, and I can honestly say I just love other songs more (even among the radio staples). I think I had it up maybe in the 30s or so in one of my initial lists, but it ended up at 61. Not a slight on the song at all, just reflective of how I feel about Rush’s catalog.

Same could be said of Natural Science, which I have at 72. I think it’s a really cool song, and I get why it’s a top tier Rush song for so many. It’s just the side of Rush that I’m less likely to reach for. I think this is one Rush song that you really hear pulled from by other bands. Dream Theater and Fates Warning at least. That riff in the verses is killer and quite metal. It’s got interesting lyrics for sure, and it’s just a musical tour de force. Great stuff by a great band, what else is there to say?

I'm genuinely curious; in an effort to try to understand your baffling views of these amazing songs - what are your 5 favorite bands for example?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: March 31, 2022, 08:05:10 AM »
2112 is my #2 favorite song of all time. Along with my #1, it laid the foundation for the musical journey I've been on for the past 30 years. Part of my ranking at #1 is nostalgia, but I can put that song on any time, anywhere, and will still enthrall me just as it did back in high school when my friend Mike gave me a tape and said "you gotta listen to this song."

I think I can pick 2 of the 3 remaining songs that didn't make everyone's list. The third I am stumped on.

Don't leave us hanging... what's the number 1?

Nice to see someone cared  :) Comfortably Numb from Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Natural Scence was one of the two remaining I thiought wouldn`t make someone`s list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online HOF

« Reply #1615 on: March 31, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »

I'm genuinely curious; in an effort to try to understand your baffling views of these amazing songs - what are your 5 favorite bands for example?

The short answer is I’m not really a metal guy, aside from a few acts that I liked a lot more when I was younger (DT, Queensryche, etc.). Rush are a top 3 band for me (along with Genesis and Marillion if that gives you an idea of my tastes), but I have a definite preference for their material from 1980 onward and especially from Signals through Presto.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1616 on: March 31, 2022, 08:54:15 AM »
Moving right along...

08 Limelight

This is one I actually did get tired of for a few years, but I have come back around on it to where I can enjoy the hell out of it again.  I think a good argument could be made that this song has Neil's most iconic lyrics, Alex's most recognizable riff, and Alex's most iconic guitar solo.  I had it at 17.

07 Natural Science

This was a top 10 Rush song for me for quite a few years, but while I still love it, it finished at 21 for me.  Still love it, but some have snuck past it.  When I first got into this song many, many years ago, a buddy opined that it could be Neil's most awesome song from a drumming standpoint. It's certainly in the conversation.  The whole song is a tour de force of awesomeness.

Definitely not surprised to see "Limelight" rank so highly for some, it's definitely one of the band's best, but for me, it ended up at 25th. Easily a Top 25 Rush song, and most definitely a Top 75, as all 25 participants have proven. Happy to see it on everyone's list!

As for "Natural Science", I had it at 11. One of the band's best albu closers, and a rousing 'long' song from them. The riffs and speed and intricate parts they play are all so good, and Geddy's voice and bass playing are on fire. Of course, Neil is firing on all cylinders, and Alex provides some top-notch solos throughout. I can definitely see why this would be number 1 for a few folks here.

As we head into the Top 6, I think I have a good idea of what might be number one, but the remaining six songs should be fan-favorites, so I'm curious to see if any of those didn't make anyone's Top 75!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1617 on: March 31, 2022, 09:56:33 AM »
08 Limelight

I've always loved Limelight, but it made a real jump for me from great song to favorite song on Moving Pictures about 20 years ago.  It's so well constructed.  The unique chord voicings that Alex uses.  The way Geddy's bass lines almost never stop moving across and around chord roots.  Neil's seemless play through sections of 7, 4 and 3.  Alex's guitar solo is wonderful in such an understated way, and I can understand why it's his favorite.  I had this ranked at #6.

07 Natural Science

What to say about this?  It's my #2 song (and the only shocking thing about Natural Science coming in at #7 is that it's not the highest ranked PEW song!).  The blend of the sections is so great.  The frenetic Hyperspace section after the easy Tidepools intro.  The fact that the sound of the tidepools was created by taking a tape recorder out to the lake and stirring the water with a stick.  The lyrics of the Permanent Waves section.  Alex and Neil are the stars.  It's almost surprising that I have this song as high as I do given that there's really not a ton of interesting bass playing.  It was so incredible when, on the T4E tour, Rush finally ditched having opening acts and this song returned to the set list.

The Score So Far
- Rush - 1 song of 8 (12.5% or 17.86% of album time):  Working Man - #56)
- Fly by Night - 3 songs of 8 (37.5% or 43.67% of album time):  Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36
- Caress of Steel - 2 songs of 5 (40% or 38.15% of album time):  The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59
- 2112 - 3 songs of 6 (50% or 72.57% of album time):  Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58; 2112 - #9

- A Farewell to Kings - 3 songs of 6 (50% or 51.57% of album time):  Closer to the Heart - #43; A Farewell to Kings - #26; Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage - #23
- Hemispheres - 3 songs of 4 (75% or 73.51% of album time):  Circumstances - #45; The Trees - #18; Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres - #14
- Permanent Waves - 5 songs of 6 (83.33% or 86.24% of album time):  Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53; Jacob's Ladder - #15; Freewill - #11; Natural Science - #7
- Moving Pictures - 5 songs of 7 (71.43% or 72.86% of album time):  Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38; The Camera Eye - #17; YYZ - #12; Limelight - #8
- Signals - 6 songs of 8 (75% or 75.22% of album time):  Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47; Losing It - #25; The Analog Kid - #16
- Grace Under Pressure - 5 songs of 8 (62.5% or 64.51% of album time):  The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29; Red Sector A - #21; Distant Early Warning - #20; Between the Wheels - #13
- Power Windows - 8 songs of 8 (100%):  Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30; Territories #24; Manhattan Project - #22; Marathon - #10
- Hold Your Fire - 5 songs of 10 (50% or 40.19% of album time):  Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34
- Presto - 4 songs of 11 (36.36% or 39.62% of album time):  Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33; Available Light - #19
- Roll the Bones - 4 songs of 10 (40% or 41.62% of album time):  Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32
- Counterparts - 6 songs of 11 (54.55% or 54.24% of album time):  Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28
- Test for Echo - 2 songs of 11 (18.18% or 19.41% of album time):  Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62
- Vapor Trails - NO SONGS (0%)
- Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS (0%)
- Clockwork Angels - 4 songs of 12 (33.33% or 41.58% of album time):  Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27

I'm guessing that the two remaining songs that didn't show up on everyone's list are the two biggest "radio hits."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1618 on: March 31, 2022, 09:58:23 AM »
08 Limelight

I just noticed this...has this always said "entrees"?   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: March 31, 2022, 09:59:55 AM »

The short answer is I’m not really a metal guy, aside from a few acts that I liked a lot more when I was younger (DT, Queensryche, etc.). Rush are a top 3 band for me (along with Genesis and Marillion if that gives you an idea of my tastes), but I have a definite preference for their material from 1980 onward and especially from Signals through Presto.

But I'm going to stick my nose in here, HOF.  I'm with you; I feel like you do about these songs and I AM a metal guy.  I think Natural Science is sort of a mess.  I really like the intro, but the rest of the song is sort of how I feel about Permanent Waves in general: it's sort of a transition. It's not prog, it's not in the same league as AFTK or Hemispheres, but it's not made the full leap to the synth era... it's sort of in my view the lead-in to Moving Pictures, which is to me the far superior record, and the sort of "realization" of what PeWa should have been.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: March 31, 2022, 10:05:05 AM »
As we head into the Top 6, I think I have a good idea of what might be number one, but the remaining six songs should be fan-favorites, so I'm curious to see if any of those didn't make anyone's Top 75!

-Marc.

I don't want to spotlight, or ruin anything, but one song that is almost a SHOO-IN for the Top 6 is at #123 on my list.  Make of that what you will.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1621 on: March 31, 2022, 10:05:57 AM »
08 Limelight

That's funny, because Limelight sounds more like a dessert.  ;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1622 on: March 31, 2022, 10:06:57 AM »
Key Limelight Pie?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: March 31, 2022, 10:43:49 AM »
For what I presume are the remaining songs for me they are ranked 2,3,4,5,6,7,12 and 18.

Yeah...just to be clear, I have no inside info, but I think it's awfully obvious what's left.

Same here...given that assumption, the remaining songs are my 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9.

Looking at my top 10:

My #8 song came in at 28 (Animate)
My #10 song came in at 31 (Middletown Dreams)

...and the two in the aggregate top 10 that didn't make mine:

Marathon (#10 aggregate, my ranking #11)
2112 (#9 aggregate, my ranking #17)

As I read the tea leaves, my guess is that the remaining songs are my 1, 3, 4, 11, 16, and 123.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1624 on: March 31, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »
08 Limelight (#12) - It's really one of their masterpieces and, like Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer, is the perfect blend of quality, acessibility and complexity in their music - althogh there's still another great examples of that in 80's Rush, I think it's hard to top those 3 songs in that aspect. Gorgeous chorus and maybe only Lifenson's solo on La Villa Strangiatto can be better than the one in this song.

07 Natural Science (#7) - My favorite 10 minute epic by the band, really incredibly perfect - rocking and very engaging from start to finish.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online HOF

« Reply #1625 on: March 31, 2022, 11:00:32 AM »

But I'm going to stick my nose in here, HOF.  I'm with you; I feel like you do about these songs and I AM a metal guy.  I think Natural Science is sort of a mess.  I really like the intro, but the rest of the song is sort of how I feel about Permanent Waves in general: it's sort of a transition. It's not prog, it's not in the same league as AFTK or Hemispheres, but it's not made the full leap to the synth era... it's sort of in my view the lead-in to Moving Pictures, which is to me the far superior record, and the sort of "realization" of what PeWa should have been.

It’s weird though, and this is maybe kind of like our discussion of TWD in the MP thread. I prefer Permanent Waves to Moving Pictures as an album. I feel like there is a really fresh approach to prog on it, more streamlined and tight, and more melodically pleasing than their 70s stuff. And it has one of my top 5 tracks on it that was probably my earliest positive memory of listening to Rush.

In contrast, Moving Pictures has always been sort of an overlooked album for me. I only bought a copy about 5 years ago, and it’s still one of my least played Rush albums as a whole. I had Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, and Limelight from the Retrospective set that was my first Rush purchase back in 2001 I think. As I made my way through the catalog, I’d look at the track listing and think “do I really need that one?” My brother had the album, and I heard it enough to know I didn’t love YYZ, and Witch Hunt and Vital Signs did nothing for me. The one gem on there that I’ve kicked myself for passing on all those years was The Camera Eye. Now I can look at the album a bit differently and acknowledge that it is one of the great Rush albums for sure. I just never really experienced it that way as a listener if that makes sense. I didn’t experience it when it was first released, and it wasn’t a gateway to my Rush fandom like it was for so many other Rush fans.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: March 31, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »

It’s weird though, and this is maybe kind of like our discussion of TWD in the MP thread. I prefer Permanent Waves to Moving Pictures as an album. I feel like there is a really fresh approach to prog on it, more streamlined and tight, and more melodically pleasing than their 70s stuff. And it has one of my top 5 tracks on it that was probably my earliest positive memory of listening to Rush.

In contrast, Moving Pictures has always been sort of an overlooked album for me. I only bought a copy about 5 years ago, and it’s still one of my least played Rush albums as a whole. I had Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, and Limelight from the Retrospective set that was my first Rush purchase back in 2001 I think. As I made my way through the catalog, I’d look at the track listing and think “do I really need that one?” My brother had the album, and I heard it enough to know I didn’t love YYZ, and Witch Hunt and Vital Signs did nothing for me. The one gem on there that I’ve kicked myself for passing on all those years was The Camera Eye. Now I can look at the album a bit differently and acknowledge that it is one of the great Rush albums for sure. I just never really experienced it that way as a listener if that makes sense. I didn’t experience it when it was first released, and it wasn’t a gateway to my Rush fandom like it was for so many other Rush fans.

See, I REALLY don't like "Spirit Of Radio", so it was the opposite for me.  I got Moving Pictures early and listened to it a lot, even before I sort of considered myself a "Rush fan". 

Online HOF

« Reply #1627 on: March 31, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »
See, I REALLY don't like "Spirit Of Radio", so it was the opposite for me.  I got Moving Pictures early and listened to it a lot, even before I sort of considered myself a "Rush fan".

Ha! That’s the one I was talking about. Probably my earliest memory of really liking a Rush song, and the first time I was introduced to the concept of progressive rock. I remember asking my older brother, “why does it change so much?” And he explained, “that’s because it’s progressive rock.”

In contrast, I’ve always kind of struggled with Tom Sawyer (“Catch the spit? Ew!”).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1628 on: March 31, 2022, 12:09:37 PM »

Ha! That’s the one I was talking about. Probably my earliest memory of really liking a Rush song, and the first time I was introduced to the concept of progressive rock. I remember asking my older brother, “why does it change so much?” And he explained, “that’s because it’s progressive rock.”

In contrast, I’ve always kind of struggled with Tom Sawyer (“Catch the spit? Ew!”).

If you listen to the song it's like Rush is changing the dial on the radio with different style in the song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1629 on: March 31, 2022, 12:10:40 PM »
08 Limelight

07 Natural Science

I had Limelight at #8. On point!
Great tune. Classic.

I had Natural Science at #4. Such a sophisticated classic. Great tune and all parts are great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1630 on: March 31, 2022, 12:18:41 PM »
08 Limelight

entree nous

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1631 on: March 31, 2022, 12:28:49 PM »
08 Limelight

entree nous

And for the entree nous, my wife and I will be splitting a tomahawk steak.   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1632 on: March 31, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »
tomahawk steak.   

That's an offensive term. Don'tcha know? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1633 on: March 31, 2022, 03:51:32 PM »

08 Limelight

07 Natural Science

I have read through everyone's comments so far on the above two songs and my first response is wow! I am floored with some of the thoughts on these 2 classic songs, it really is fascinating to me. Nothing wrong with it of course, each to their own and everything.

Limelight - yes this is my number 2. I don't understand knocking a song down because it has been overplayed and you have heard it a million times, there is actually a reason for that - because it is awesome. As time goes on this song should be appreciated more, not dismissed. This is probably the definitive Rush song, musically and lyrically.

Natural Science - number 4 for me however, it could easily have been number 1. A classic that takes you on an epic journey and the heavy parts are just awesome. I could easily have ranked this number 1.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1634 on: March 31, 2022, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1635 on: March 31, 2022, 05:13:15 PM »
Thinking about how iconic Limelight is, it is wild to think that it was only played sporadically on their 2nd to last tour and then not at all on their last tour.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1636 on: March 31, 2022, 05:23:03 PM »
Limelight (ranked #9)

An awesome song. Rocking, uplifting and melancholic, all at the same time, Alex's progression in the chorus is phenomenal, and the solo is a thing of beauty. I'll reserve some comments on my own experience with the "radio staples" when, um, a certain other one (or two?) is revealed. For now, I'll just say no matter how much this gets played, it's a pleasure every time, and it's absolutely a top 10 Rush song for me.

Natural Science (ranked #1)

My number one!!! Such a masterpiece, incapsulating so many things that make Rush, "Rush". I remember the first time listening to Permanent Waves - again, not knowing a single note. As I get to Natural Science, I think - well, this is a pretty great album so far...let's hope the closer lives up to the high standards they set. Talk about smashing expectations! The "Wheel within wheels" part...then THAT riff...it just sounds so "modern" (in the best possible way)...an inspiration for so many metal bands. Then the progression with the synths, Geddy's fantastic bass work and Neil doing his (wonderful) thing. Then the Permanent Waves section and the brilliant ending...what can I say? To be honest, when I look at my top 5, it's almost silly to try and rank the songs but, yes, I'm ok with this taking the top spot...

Online nick_z

« Reply #1637 on: March 31, 2022, 05:28:39 PM »
...and the updated aggregate album ranking:

1   Power Windows   353
2   Moving Pictures   253
3   Grace Under Pressure   248
4   Permanent Waves   237
5   Signals   198
6   Hemispheres   151
7   A Farewell to Kings   136
8   Clockwork Angels   134
9   Counterparts   128
10   Presto   119
11   Hold Your Fire   107
12   Roll the Bones   104
13   2112   98
14   Fly By Night   84
15   Caress of Steel   26
16   Rush   20
17   Test for Echo   19
18   Vapor Trails   0
19   Snake and Arrows   0

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: March 31, 2022, 05:35:15 PM »
08. Limelight (#7) since I always listen to the two songs together, and ‘YYZ’ was my #6, it only made sense that this would be my #7, since ties were not allowed. 

07. Natural Science (#33)  a great closer on a great album.  Guess my ‘low’ rating here is because I listen to side one so much more.  That’s why I had ‘Jacob’s Ladder’ at #15

Limelight - yes this is my number 2. I don't understand knocking a song down because it has been overplayed and you have heard it a million times, there is actually a reason for that - because it is awesome. As time goes on this song should be appreciated more, not dismissed. This is probably the definitive Rush song, musically and lyrically.

Welcome to DTF ;D  "I know it's a good song, but I don't like it because so many others do" resulted in so many songs being placed 20-50 spots lower (or not at all) on this and the DT Countdown. 

'Working Man'...baffled me, not because of where it placed, but that half the respondents didn't rate it at all.  "C'mon guys, deep down, you know you like it, you really do.  Admit it ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1639 on: March 31, 2022, 05:52:21 PM »
08. Limelight (#7) since I always listen to the two songs together, and ‘YYZ’ was my #6, it only made sense that this would be my #7, since ties were not allowed. 

07. Natural Science (#33)  a great closer on a great album.  Guess my ‘low’ rating here is because I listen to side one so much more.  That’s why I had ‘Jacob’s Ladder’ at #15

Welcome to DTF ;D  "I know it's a good song, but I don't like it because so many others do" resulted in so many songs being placed 20-50 spots lower (or not at all) on this and the DT Countdown. 

'Working Man'...baffled me, not because of where it placed, but that half the respondents didn't rate it at all.  "C'mon guys, deep down, you know you like it, you really do.  Admit it ;)

Yeah, I do find it pretty hard to comprehend this but I guess it is what it is. It makes me think that if an Iron Maiden countdown is ever done, Hallowed be Thy Name will be really low or not appear based on this rational.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1640 on: March 31, 2022, 06:21:49 PM »
We need an Iron Maiden countdown next!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: March 31, 2022, 06:31:15 PM »
Not to go too far forward but Maiden is about the only other band for which I could realistically participate in a thread like this.

Is it wrong that this thread is the first web page I open when I wake up in the morning?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online HOF

« Reply #1642 on: March 31, 2022, 06:50:27 PM »
If we did Iron Maiden the only song I know well enough to even give you a title is Run To The Hills (and I had to look that up to verify the title).

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1643 on: March 31, 2022, 07:01:24 PM »
We need an Iron Maiden countdown next!

Agree!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1644 on: March 31, 2022, 08:20:02 PM »
I was actually thinking of running one of these myself for Iron Maiden songs. I just kinda want KevShmev’s key to accumulating all the data so it can be as good as this has been.  :metal
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.