Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52907 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 10 - PLEASE NO SPOTLIGHTING)
« Reply #1575 on: March 30, 2022, 02:49:23 PM »
I'm floored that Marathon is a Top 10 song.

I totally agree. Couldn't say it better myself but sorry guys I don't see how Marathon is a top 10 song. For me it 31.

2112 - As stated this was my number 1. Actually surprised to not be alone in this choice (well done Kev and Cool Chris). Really wasn't sure what the consensus would be. This song is just brilliant and I love every part of it. I'm actually a huge fan of the 2112 album, so it is strange to me that only 3 songs ended up being ranked (compared to Power Windows - whole album!)

Guess you two are in the minority then.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1576 on: March 30, 2022, 02:51:32 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1577 on: March 30, 2022, 03:10:27 PM »

I totally agree. Couldn't say it better myself but sorry guys I don't see how Marathon is a top 10 song. For me it 31.

2112 - As stated this was my number 1. Actually surprised to not be alone in this choice (well done Kev and Cool Chris). Really wasn't sure what the consensus would be. This song is just brilliant and I love every part of it. I'm actually a huge fan of the 2112 album, so it is strange to me that only 3 songs ended up being ranked (compared to Power Windows - whole album!)

Guess you two are in the minority then.

At least we ranked it though - someone didn't.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1578 on: March 30, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »

I think it's because it was at the time you fell of the Rush bandwagon while others were getting on the Rush keyboard era, and that's shocking to you.

Well, I think it's more than that, honestly. I got off the Rush train with Signals, and I can name 15 other 80's Era tracks that I think are better than Marathon. So it's not shocking to me that an 80's song came in at #10. What's surprising to me was the one that it is.

I think the thing that surprises me more than anything else is that Marathon is the highest ranked POW song.  It's been obvious almost since the start of the countdown that POW would get all 8 songs in the top 75, but I kinda figured one of the songs I don't like would end up being the highest ranked.  At least SOME measure of sanity exists regarding this album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: March 30, 2022, 03:45:08 PM »
So pleased to see Marathon crack the top 10.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1580 on: March 30, 2022, 04:04:59 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how the top 8 shakes out.

The remaining songs are my 2, 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13

My #1 song came in at #14 (Hemispheres)
My #4 song came in at #15 (Jacob's Ladder)
My #5 song came in at #23 (CX-1 Book I)
My #7 song came in at #26 (AFTK)
My #9 song came in at #38 (By-Tor)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1581 on: March 30, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how the top 8 shakes out.

The remaining songs are my 2, 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13

My #1 song came in at #14 (Hemispheres)
My #4 song came in at #15 (Jacob's Ladder)
My #5 song came in at #23 (CX-1 Book I)
My #7 song came in at #26 (AFTK)
My #9 song came in at #38 (By-Tor)

Yeah, looking forward to it. For what I presume are the remaining songs for me they are ranked 2,3,4,5,6,7,12 and 18.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1582 on: March 30, 2022, 04:47:19 PM »
For what I presume are the remaining songs for me they are ranked 2,3,4,5,6,7,12 and 18.

Yeah...just to be clear, I have no inside info, but I think it's awfully obvious what's left.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1583 on: March 30, 2022, 04:54:27 PM »
For what I presume are the remaining songs for me they are ranked 2,3,4,5,6,7,12 and 18.

Yeah...just to be clear, I have no inside info, but I think it's awfully obvious what's left.

Hey, Chemistry still has a chance!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1584 on: March 30, 2022, 05:03:11 PM »
No. No it doesn't.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1585 on: March 30, 2022, 05:06:47 PM »

Ha! That is exactly what I was going to say (but yes, it really doesn't...)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: March 30, 2022, 05:12:11 PM »

Not in the slightest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1587 on: March 30, 2022, 05:20:47 PM »
The Color of Right also has no chance. :lol

I am not floored that you are floored.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1588 on: March 30, 2022, 05:41:36 PM »

Same here...given that assumption, the remaining songs are my 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9.

Looking at my top 10:

My #8 song came in at 28 (Animate)
My #10 song came in at 31 (Middletown Dreams)

...and the two in the aggregate top 10 that didn't make mine:

Marathon (#10 aggregate, my ranking #11)
2112 (#9 aggregate, my ranking #17)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1589 on: March 30, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »

Same here...given that assumption, the remaining songs are my 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9.

Nice! Now you just have to nail the order.

I have to say I am still a little surprised at how high at least one, if not two of the presumed remaining songs is going to rank. Talk about it later of course.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1590 on: March 30, 2022, 08:27:43 PM »
Just a reminder that up next (at number 8) will be the first song in the top 75 to have appeared on all 25 lists!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1591 on: March 30, 2022, 08:31:41 PM »
Just a reminder that up next (at number 8) will be the first song in the top 75 to have appeared on all 25 lists!!

I'll be pretty surprised if any of the Top 8 didn't make it on everyone's Top 75.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1592 on: March 30, 2022, 08:34:31 PM »
Three of the remaining songs did not make all 25 lists.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1593 on: March 30, 2022, 08:37:17 PM »

Not surprised some people left Chemistry off their lists. ;-)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1594 on: March 30, 2022, 08:40:08 PM »
If this has been a horse race, Chemistry would have been the one that was doing surprisingly doing well 1/3 of the way through the race, but faded as the race got deeper and the favorites made their pushes.  It seemed to be on quite a few of the early lists that were submitted, but not as many later on.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1595 on: March 30, 2022, 08:42:24 PM »

Ahhhh, well, I guess if someone didn't have "2112" on their Top 75, I guess it's plausible that some of the remaining 8 might not as well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1596 on: March 30, 2022, 08:50:44 PM »

Ahhhh, well, I guess if someone didn't have "2112" on their Top 75, I guess it's plausible that some of the remaining 8 might not as well.

-Marc.

One of them isn’t on my list. But Chemistry is!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: March 30, 2022, 08:51:31 PM »
2112 is my #2 favorite song of all time. Along with my #1, it laid the foundation for the musical journey I've been on for the past 30 years. Part of my ranking at #1 is nostalgia, but I can put that song on any time, anywhere, and will still enthrall me just as it did back in high school when my friend Mike gave me a tape and said "you gotta listen to this song."

I think I can pick 2 of the 3 remaining songs that didn't make everyone's list. The third I am stumped on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1598 on: March 30, 2022, 09:06:43 PM »
I can’t really put them all together. There’s a few I can think of that I’m guessing will be there, but not enough to form the whole next 8. I’m also starting to wonder if my number one made it in at all.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1599 on: March 30, 2022, 09:24:32 PM »
Deadeye - it is actually pretty easy when you know what albums are remaining in play. I won't list them here but if you know that and also know what songs have been included so far from those albums etc..then it is pretty easy to put together. Your number 1 song needs to be on one of the albums left alive to have any chance..

As far as songs making or not making everyone's lists - this is crazy! I honestly would have expected about 20 songs at least to make everyone's list but there is only going to be a handful?

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1600 on: March 30, 2022, 10:27:38 PM »
As far as songs making or not making everyone's lists - this is crazy! I honestly would have expected about 20 songs at least to make everyone's list but there is only going to be a handful?
Actually when it comes to Rush, I am not surprised so few songs made everyone's list. They have such a large and diverse catalogue. And the vast majority of it is amazing (IMO). I've said this several times now, but I could conceivably see almost any Rush song be someone's #1. It also wouldn't have surprised me if everyone that submitted a list had a different #1.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1601 on: March 30, 2022, 10:50:44 PM »
I’ll do a full write up at the end of the week, but I am so disappointed at the low placement of Hemispheres. Possibly the greatest rock song ever written, and certainly by far the most fluid side long song I’ve ever heard. As much as I like 2112, it’s really just Fountain’s big brother. The parts are much better, but it suffers from the same choppy stop/start lack of “flow” that Fountain does.  I had it at 22 for nostalgic reasons because I do love the individual bits.

But Hemispheres is entirely superior in every way. Each part fits the narrative perfectly and blends seamlessly. Some people said to cut the soft part at the beginning of part V ??? Seriously? Why not just cut off the first 3 minutes of Xanadu while you’re at it? That part is PERFECT! It literally makes me feel the narrative. Like I’ve just entered Olympus and I’m processing this change that’s happening to me. It’s absolutely brilliant.

I often flip between Hemispheres and Supper’s Ready as the greatest composition in the history of rock music (maybe all music) but Hemispheres was definitely my first love.

And again, the lyrics that preach the importance of “balance” on a very young impressionable teenager with a tendency towards extremism cannot be understated. 

But ya…14 is far far too low for such a perfect song.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1602 on: March 30, 2022, 11:21:51 PM »
Actually when it comes to Rush, I am not surprised so few songs made everyone's list. They have such a large and diverse catalogue. And the vast majority of it is amazing (IMO). I've said this several times now, but I could conceivably see almost any Rush song be someone's #1. It also wouldn't have surprised me if everyone that submitted a list had a different #1.

Yeah, fair enough I am sure you are right that the diversity combined with great songs makes it tough. I was thinking about 20 on everyones lists (any order) and then 55 which could be all over the place but that of course is not the case.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1603 on: March 31, 2022, 04:50:39 AM »
I think I know a few of the songs that are yet to come!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1604 on: March 31, 2022, 06:06:17 AM »
Moving right along...

08 Limelight
Appeared on 25 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 10
Highest Ranking: 2 (nobloodyname, The Realm, ReaperKK)

This is one I actually did get tired of for a few years, but I have come back around on it to where I can enjoy the hell out of it again.  I think a good argument could be made that this song has Neil's most iconic lyrics, Alex's most recognizable riff, and Alex's most iconic guitar solo.  I had it at 17.

07 Natural Science
Appeared on 24 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 14
Highest Ranking: 1 (Setlist Scotty, Deadeye21, nick_z)

This was a top 10 Rush song for me for quite a few years, but while I still love it, it finished at 21 for me.  Still love it, but some have snuck past it.  When I first got into this song many, many years ago, a buddy opined that it could be Neil's most awesome song from a drumming standpoint. It's certainly in the conversation.  The whole song is a tour de force of awesomeness.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1605 on: March 31, 2022, 06:30:07 AM »
Moving right along...

08 Limelight
Appeared on 25 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 10
Highest Ranking: 2 (nobloodyname, The Realm, ReaperKK)

This is one I actually did get tired of for a few years, but I have come back around on it to where I can enjoy the hell out of it again.  I think a good argument could be made that this song has Neil's most iconic lyrics, Alex's most recognizable riff, and Alex's most iconic guitar solo.  I had it at 17.

07 Natural Science
Appeared on 24 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 14
Highest Ranking: 1 (Setlist Scotty, Deadeye21, nick_z)

This was a top 10 Rush song for me for quite a few years, but while I still love it, it finished at 21 for me.  Still love it, but some have snuck past it.  When I first got into this song many, many years ago, a buddy opined that it could be Neil's most awesome song from a drumming standpoint. It's certainly in the conversation.  The whole song is a tour de force of awesomeness.

I’m gonna quote this in full for a change. Part 1 is because the GIF is great.
Part 2 is because I agree with a lot of what you said about Limelight. I’m currently in the stage where I’m over it. It is a great song, and anyone who denies that is incorrect. But, a great song can be overplayed, and for me it has been. That’s why it arrives at number 49 on my list. That said, this solo is a masterpiece with the ghostly ambience that lies in between it all.

Natural Science is, as proven, my number one. The riffs are amazing. The drumming is godly. The lyrics are some of the best that have sought to present an intricate balance between science and nature. It’s just an amazing song, one that often has me reaching to replay it mere moments after it’s ended. I love this song. I don’t think I ever won’t love this song.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1606 on: March 31, 2022, 06:40:50 AM »
Oh come on. Natural Science isn't in someone's top 75???? Would it be safe to assume that one of the individuals leaving that song and Hemispheres and 2112 out of their lists is the same individual who keeps trying to vote out A Change of Seasons in the DT survivor? :tdwn

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1607 on: March 31, 2022, 07:03:26 AM »
8. Limelight (11).  Classic tune.  Some of Neil's best lyrics, and a killer solo from Alex.

7. Natural Science (2).  Again, another classic tune.  Everyone firing on all cylinders.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1608 on: March 31, 2022, 07:05:48 AM »
Limelight was my # 6

Natural Science was my #5.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1609 on: March 31, 2022, 07:22:09 AM »
Oh come on. Natural Science isn't in someone's top 75???? Would it be safe to assume that one of the individuals leaving that song and Hemispheres and 2112 out of their lists is the same individual who keeps trying to vote out A Change of Seasons in the DT survivor? :tdwn

Nope, Natural Science and Hemispheres are in my top 75, while 2112 was not (and I haven’t voted for ACOS once in that survivor!).