Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52866 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 20 - PLEASE NO SPOTLIGHTING)
« Reply #1470 on: March 28, 2022, 04:54:32 PM »

Holy shit!  #14?!  Not only is this crazy on its own, but it's even more baffling given that (sorry Kev) 2112 is obviously going to finish higher. 

How so?  2112 is the better song (opinions!!), is far more iconic, and the band obviously thought it was way better (see how much 2112 was played over the years vs Hemispheres).

I know the Hemispheres truthers :P will argue in favor of their song, but I will point to the scoreboard.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

No question 2112 is more iconic, but I don't think that the band playing it more means that they thought it was "better."  My assumption is that (most of) Hemispheres fell out of rotation because of the difficulty/impossibility of doing it justice vocally and because 2112 was more iconic.  My consternation is a reflection of my apparent misreading of the room.  I though folks around here regarded Hemispheres better.  Shrug.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1471 on: March 28, 2022, 05:00:44 PM »
What's all this talk about 2112? It didn't even make the list!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1472 on: March 28, 2022, 05:56:47 PM »
Hemispheres (ranked #64)

I guess on this one I'm in the camp that agrees with what Kev said. I knew I was going to be pretty far from the aggregate here (indeed, this is the largest "negative" difference in ranking for the songs that made my top 75). I agree that there are some incredibly strong parts in here and the performances (especially Geddy) are off the charts good. But, for some reason, I've never fully warmed to this epic. On one hand, it truly can be seen as a more mature, grown-up 2112. Arguably, in many ways it's a better thought out and put together long song and 2112 sure does suffer from padding and moments of "not much going on".  Yet, I will always take 2112 over this one. I guess it's about how incredibly memorable 2112's best parts are...

Between the Wheels (ranked #15)

My favorite song from p/g, and one of my favorite Rush's closers. Just an incredible song from beginning to end, with the keys and Alex's guitar working together beautifully. We've often observed on these pages how Rush would offer hints of what was to come in certain songs of an album -  To me, Between the Wheels kind of does that...There's something about the melody in the chorus and the general sound that makes me think it would fit well on Power Windows...

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1473 on: March 28, 2022, 05:59:52 PM »
So with Grace Under Pressure done, I can now openly lament the lack of love for Kid Gloves. It’s such a cool track with some really great playing by Alex. That opening riff always sucks me in. I had it ranked 19th, one of 3 in my top 20 confirmed to have not made the list (with 3 more unrevealed but almost certain to place). The other two were The Color of Right (17) and Vapor Trail (14).

I had The Body Electric in my list. Always thought that was a cool song.

I'm a big fan of both Kid Gloves (29) and The Body Electric (11).  I think rhythmically speaking, TBE is one of the most interesting songs they ever did.  The R40 live version is what really opened my eyes to how clever it is.  It's become my second fave on GUP after BTW (9).

Both The Body Electric and Kid Gloves are super-cool songs. The former made my top 75 (#71), the latter just missed it (#78)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1474 on: March 28, 2022, 06:07:24 PM »
...and with another album "done", here's what the aggregate album ranking looks like:

1   Power Windows   287
2   Grace Under Pressure   248
3   Signals   198
4   Hemispheres   151
5   A Farewell to Kings   136
6   Clockwork Angels   134
7   Counterparts   128
8   Moving Pictures   121
9   Presto   119
10   Hold Your Fire   107
11   Roll the Bones   104
12   Permanent Waves   103
13   Fly By Night   84
14   2112   31
15   Caress of Steel   26
16   Rush   20
17   Test for Echo   19
18   Vapor Trails   0
19   Snake and Arrows   0

I won't say much more to avoid looking ahead, but I guess we have our answer for Signals vs. Grace Under Pressure  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1475 on: March 28, 2022, 06:22:25 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1476 on: March 28, 2022, 06:25:02 PM »

Holy shit!  #14?!  Not only is this crazy on its own, but it's even more baffling given that (sorry Kev) 2112 is obviously going to finish higher. 

How so?  2112 is the better song (opinions!!), is far more iconic, and the band obviously thought it was way better (see how much 2112 was played over the years vs Hemispheres).

I know the Hemispheres truthers :P will argue in favor of their song, but I will point to the scoreboard.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

No question 2112 is more iconic, but I don't think that the band playing it more means that they thought it was "better."  My assumption is that (most of) Hemispheres fell out of rotation because of the difficulty/impossibility of doing it justice vocally and because 2112 was more iconic.  My consternation is a reflection of my apparent misreading of the room.  I though folks around here regarded Hemispheres better.  Shrug.
Hey I'm right there with you on Hemispheres, seeing as how I also rated it #1. If you had asked me 20 years ago if I preferred 2112 or Hemispheres, I would have said 2112. But Hemispheres has so much more going on, it took awhile for it all to sink in for me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1477 on: March 28, 2022, 06:47:08 PM »
I’m not sure if this would help but it’s an idea.

If you wanted some thing that represented the popularity of the albums a little bit better, you could tack on to the 1-75 score an additional score that reflects how much of the album that song represents.

If you give every album a base score of 100, and divide by the number of songs, then every song from that album would receive those additional points. Hemispheres would get 25 additional points per song, Moving Pictures would get 14.3 pts per song, Power Windows and Signals would get 12.5 pts per song. Etc etc

How nerdy is that?  :rollin

I had to look for this a few pages back to comment on it again...this is nerdy, yes, and clever  ;D I actually like that an album can achieve the max "bonus" of 100 points if all its songs rank, no matter how many songs it has. So any album that has all songs ranked will have a +100, and albums with a smaller number of songs but with a significant portion of them ranked would still get a sizable bump, as the per-song-ranked bonus =  100/(# of songs on the album) will be relatively large.

I'll keep track of what this looks like  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1478 on: March 28, 2022, 07:20:07 PM »

Haha, all good.   :tup :tup

Both The Body Electric and Kid Gloves are super-cool songs. The former made my top 75 (#71), the latter just missed it (#78)

I like both, but I don't love either.  I often say that Grace Under Pressure could have been a borderline top 5 Rush album for me had Side 2 been as strong as Side 1 (Between the Wheels, which is awesome, notwithstanding), but it's not like I don't like The Body Electric, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses.  I like them all.  I just don't love them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1479 on: March 29, 2022, 06:16:57 AM »
I was a little surprised that both of today's songs didn't make all 25 lists, but considering some of the "unusual" choices by some, I guess I shouldn't be. ;)

12 YYZ
Appeared on 24 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 4 (romdrums)

You know an instrumental is bad ass when the band chooses it as their last encore on multiple tours, as Rush did with this one.  I had it at 20, and that feels too low on my part, but it probably got dinged a tad by me due to overplay.  Still a terrific song, and it goes without saying that the Rio version from 2002 is just bananas.

11 Freewill
Appeared on 23 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 4 (Puppies_On_Acid,)

This is one that actually took a bit of time for me to love when I was first a fan, but I got there.  The instrumental section is just out of this world, with all three guys soloing, and the latter part was always amazing live, with Alex going back and forth between the soloing and revisiting one of the main riffs.  And that moment where they segue way back into the main part of the song always got a huge applause live, almost like the band was giving that "we're not worthy" cheer after Alex (in particular) nailed the end of that instrumental section.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1480 on: March 29, 2022, 06:36:23 AM »
I was a little surprised that both of today's songs didn't make all 25 lists, but considering some of the "unusual" choices by some, I guess I shouldn't be. ;)

12 YYZ

You know an instrumental is bad ass when the band chooses it as their last encore on multiple tours, as Rush did with this one.  I had it at 20, and that feels too low on my part, but it probably got dinged a tad by me due to overplay.  Still a terrific song, and it goes without saying that the Rio version from 2002 is just bananas.

11 Freewill

This is one that actually took a bit of time for me to love when I was first a fan, but I got there.  The instrumental section is just out of this world, with all three guys soloing, and the latter part was always amazing live, with Alex going back and forth between the soloing and revisiting one of the main riffs.  And that moment where they segue way back into the main part of the song always got a huge applause live, almost like the band was giving that "we're not worthy" cheer after Alex (in particular) nailed the end of that instrumental section.

Not a ton to add to what you wrote here...

YYZ (ranked #25)

Brilliant piece of instrumental fun. So many cool parts and riffs. And I still remember being floored, on top of everything else, when I first listened to it and got to the slow/melodic interlude.

Freewill (ranked #28)

This one barely missed my top 25 - yet again, a testament to the insane amount of classic songs this band has. Catchy and complex, in typical Rush fashion, this song is perfectly placed within Permanent Waves. And yes, the solo/instrumental is ridiculous, in the best possible way.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1481 on: March 29, 2022, 06:48:07 AM »
12. YYZ (4).  I'm actually really surprised this didn't make the top ten.  Sure it's overplayed, but I find it to be the perfect summation of everything Rush is about instrumentally in 4 minutes. 

11. Freewill (19).  Just a classic song.  I think the middle section is one of the best things they've done, and it always goes over well live.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1482 on: March 29, 2022, 07:13:47 AM »
I like YYZ and Freewill but the "overplay" factor really affects my ranking for a lot of these songs. YYZ was at 75 and Freewill at 92 for me.

Online HOF

« Reply #1483 on: March 29, 2022, 07:17:27 AM »
Looks like I’m the only one who didn’t rank YYZ. It’s a cool song, a classic Rush tune, but for whatever reason it never particularly resonated with me. I’m sure it would have been in the next 10 or so songs if we had gone out to 100, but I just have other Rush songs I love more. In general, I’m not a huge fan of Rush’s instrumental tracks. They are fine and I enjoy them, I just don’t love them. And yeah, it’s maybe a bit over played so that doesn’t help.

Freewill is another great, classic Rush track that only made it to 40 for me. Just got pushed down by songs that I have a stronger affinity for, and probably also just because it’s one of the Rush track that always saturated classic rock radio. But musically, this is top notch. I had a music professor in college remark to me once that Rush was just so tight on this song and album, and that always sort of stuck with me. It’s a pretty complex song but they blow through it with ease. The lyrics are a bit cliched feeling at this point maybe, but it’s still a clever one from Neil. A definite career highlight for the band.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1484 on: March 29, 2022, 07:19:44 AM »
YYZ is #24 on my list, and Freewill is #131 on my list.  That's probably a LITTLE harsh, but it's never a song that really captured me, the content of the lyrics notwithstanding.   It's just not a song I go to all that often.  As for YYZ, there are three songs from MP higher than that on my list, so it's a strong song on an incredibly strong album.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 20 - PLEASE NO SPOTLIGHTIN
« Reply #1485 on: March 29, 2022, 07:26:03 AM »

12 YYZ

11 Freewill

YYZ came in at number 7 for me. There’s an instrumental that I believe is just a little stronger, but boiling the chemistry of a band down to under 5 minutes is no easy feat. Well, unless you’re Rush apparently!

Freewill was my number 39. Love the middle section, but not really the rest. Passable housing for a minute or so of utter insanity for my opinion. That said, the lyric to the chorus is pretty great as well, and I like the fast riff that kicks it all off.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1486 on: March 29, 2022, 08:21:51 AM »
12 YYZ (#5) - Brilliant song and something of genius to have been built around a code morse. By the way, I took part of the In Rio version :coolio :coolio :coolio

11 Freewill (#13) - Exactly what Kev wrote, including the time for me to really LOVE it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1488 on: March 29, 2022, 09:06:12 AM »
YYZ I had at # 8

Freewill I had at # 17
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1489 on: March 29, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »
The ranking engine is still down, so I once again don't know where I had these songs ranked, but I know I had them both in the top 20, if not top 15.

12 YYZ

YYZ is so unique among instrumentals.  I think a lot of instrumentals are a result of a band writing music and being unable to fit lyrics to it, so they just add a bunch of crazy soloing where lyrics would go.  YYZ is not only clever in its use of the Morse code pattern for the intro, it has passages that are infinitely interesting without a bunch of busy soloing.  Being a Lee/Peart composition, I suppose it's no surprise that Geddy and Neil are the stars of most of the song.  Trade off bass and drum fills are super cool.  However, Alex's chord work under that section is amazing.  And, when it comes time for Alex to take a solo, he makes the most of it by making it minimalist.  For ANY other band, this would be a crowning instrumental achievement, but Rush isn't any other band.

11 Freewill

The 3-in-1 solo section is this songs crowning achievement, but, as usual, there's so much more going on here.  Never have alternating measures of 6-8-6-7 sounded like an easy 4/4.  Bass and drums are in lock step on the pre-choruses, and the chorus is just fun.  The harmonies between bass and guitar leading into the solo section are super clever and subtle.  This was a song that got me so excited about learning it on the bass.  When I finally nailed the solo section, I was so damn happy!

The Score So Far
- Rush - 1 song of 8 (12.5% or 17.86% of album time):  Working Man - #56)
- Fly by Night - 3 songs of 8 (37.5% or 43.67% of album time):  Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36
- Caress of Steel - 2 songs of 5 (40% or 38.15% of album time):  The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59

- 2112 - 2 songs of 6 (33.33% or 19.42% of album time):  Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58
- A Farewell to Kings - 3 songs of 6 (50% or 51.57% of album time):  Closer to the Heart - #43; A Farewell to Kings - #26; Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage - #23
- Hemispheres - 3 songs of 4 (75% or 73.51% of album time):  Circumstances - #45; The Trees - #18; Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres - #14
- Permanent Waves - 4 songs of 6 (66.67% or 60.04% of album time):  Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53; Jacob's Ladder - #15; Freewill - #11
- Moving Pictures - 4 songs of 7 (57.14% or 62.33% of album time):  Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38; The Camera Eye - #17; YYZ - #12
- Signals - 6 songs of 8 (75% or 75.22% of album time):  Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47; Losing It - #25; The Analog Kid - #16
- Grace Under Pressure - 5 songs of 8 (62.5% or 64.51% of album time):  The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29; Red Sector A - #21; Distant Early Warning - #20; Between the Wheels - #13
- Power Windows - 7 songs of 8 (87.5% or 86.19% of album time):  Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30; Territories #24; Manhattan Project - #22
- Hold Your Fire - 5 songs of 10 (50% or 40.19% of album time):  Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34
- Presto - 4 songs of 11 (36.36% or 39.62% of album time):  Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33; Available Light - #19
- Roll the Bones - 4 songs of 10 (40% or 41.62% of album time):  Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32
- Counterparts - 6 songs of 11 (54.55% or 54.24% of album time):  Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28
- Test for Echo - 2 songs of 11 (18.18% or 19.41% of album time):  Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62
- Vapor Trails - NO SONGS (0%)
- Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS (0%)
- Clockwork Angels - 4 songs of 12 (33.33% or 41.58% of album time):  Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1491 on: March 29, 2022, 10:10:23 AM »

12 YYZ

I had "YYZ" ranked at number 6. This one will always hold a special place in my heart as I performed it as the last piece for my Senior Recital in college, complete with the drum solo in the middle (mostly inspired by/copied from Exit...Stage Left). Sure, it's been overplayed quite a bit, especially for an instrumental song, but the reception this song gets at concerts and by the public at large, it's always electrifying. I'd say among people who listen to rock music, this might be one of the most recognizable instrumental songs ever released. And like Kev mentioned, the Rio performance is just astounding.

11 Freewill

Ranked 21st on my list, though I probably would've ranked it higher with some editing of my sorted list. Definitely worth of a Top 20 spot, even Top 10 for the four folks who had it there. The bridge is definitely one of the stand-outs from the Rush catalog, and hearing the Rio crowd chant along and wave their arms in time to it is about as memorable as the aforementioned "YYZ" in Rio performance.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: March 29, 2022, 11:25:38 AM »
14. Hemispheres (#59)  Would be Top Thirty for me if the 12-16 minute segment was removed (and that’s what my version has been for decades).

13. Between the Wheels (#51)  It was a good album closer on an album that I’ve enjoyed more over the years than I did in the 80s (well, Side One with this added to it).  I like it, so I rated it where I did, with my thinking then that a song like this wouldn’t get ranked by the group.   :o  Not sure if I’m more surprised that it is held in such high esteem, or that it even made the Top 75. 

12. YYZ (#6)  floored when I first heard it.  It’s on one of my many ‘two fers’ discs.  Very Pavlovian, as I have to always hear the two songs together.  (pretty obvious what comes in at #7 for me😉)  And, yeah, that Rio ‘singalong’ is something, eh? (except for the frickin squirrel in the film’s director’s chair >:()

11. Freewill (#8) an absolutely great song on its own. It also absolutely benefits from what precedes (and follows) it.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: March 29, 2022, 01:19:18 PM »

I had "YYZ" ranked at number 6. This one will always hold a special place in my heart as I performed it as the last piece for my Senior Recital in college, complete with the drum solo in the middle (mostly inspired by/copied from Exit...Stage Left). Sure, it's been overplayed quite a bit, especially for an instrumental song, but the reception this song gets at concerts and by the public at large, it's always electrifying. I'd say among people who listen to rock music, this might be one of the most recognizable instrumental songs ever released. And like Kev mentioned, the Rio performance is just astounding.

I'm sorry to pick nits here, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE this song, but I can't imagine a non-Rush fan knowing this song. Having said that, Hocus Pocus (Focus) and Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) I think are both far better known, if only for their use at sporting events.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1494 on: March 29, 2022, 01:47:52 PM »

I'm sorry to pick nits here, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE this song, but I can't imagine a non-Rush fan knowing this song. Having said that, Hocus Pocus (Focus) and Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) I think are both far better known, if only for their use at sporting events.

Hocus Pocus?  Hmmm, that would surprise me if many knew that one.  Totally agree about Frankenstein, though, as that is one of those instrumentals that always got played on classic rock stations, along with Jessica (Allman Brothers) and Fire On High (ELO).  And if we go a little newer, Cliffs of Dover (Eric Johnson) and Summer Song (Joe Satriani).

Online HOF

« Reply #1495 on: March 29, 2022, 01:52:49 PM »
Not sure I’ve ever heard YYZ played on the radio. I’ve heard Hocus Pocus on the radio before, though probably the Gary Hoey cover more than the original. Cliffs of Dover might be somewhat more recognizable. Summer Song got used a bunch as bumper music for TV and radio in the 90s so I bet it’s more recognizable even if people don’t know it’s Satch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1496 on: March 29, 2022, 02:03:05 PM »

You should be sorry! ;D

A couple of thoughts on this...

YYZ (36m) has twenty MILLION more streams on Spotify than Frankenstein (16m).
Also, I believe that if a non Rush fan was going to own one Rush album, it'd be the one with Tom Sawyer and Limelight.
I realize Frankenstein was basically the only Edgar Winter song played on rock radio and YYZ really wasn't.

Surprisingly Hocus Pocus has 28m streams, but I chalk that up to an Earth's worth of Iron Maiden fans checking out the song Iron Maiden covered. I was not really familiar with it previously.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: March 29, 2022, 02:04:32 PM »
How about that Alan Parsons Project tune that always gets played on TV (usually in a car commercial) and was the "Chicago Bulls" song for a while. Sirius, maybe?  Do-do-DA, do-do-do, do-do-DA, do-do-do...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: March 29, 2022, 02:04:51 PM »
I'd call that nit picking. :biggrin:

I'd add Moby Dick to the list and HOF, YYZ was played all the time on radio in the 80's surprisingly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: March 29, 2022, 02:07:03 PM »
If I inspire TAC of all people to post streaming data, I'm going to assume it's me, and I'm off base.    :) :) :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1500 on: March 29, 2022, 02:12:20 PM »
Free Ride by Edgar Winter Group was also played on the radio a lot around these parts, but Frankenstein is their biggie for sure.

Eruption (VH) might actually be the instrumental that always got played the most, but it was always as a back to back with You Really Got Me, kind of like LZ's Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid, so that is kind of cheating, as I never heard it played by itself as a stand alone instrumental.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1501 on: March 29, 2022, 02:17:57 PM »
If I inspire TAC of all people to post streaming data, I'm going to assume it's me, and I'm off base.    :) :) :)

And that's the power of technology!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1502 on: March 29, 2022, 02:24:24 PM »

And that's the power of technology!

*TACnology.  ;)

And to clarify, I did say for folks who listen to rock music, which isn't really a large portion of the music-listening public these days, whether it's on the radio or on streaming apps. But for those of us who do listen to rock music, particularly classic rock/70s rock, I still think "YYZ" is fairly recognizable. Maybe that's just the bubble I've been in, but I think TAC is right - if folks own a single Rush album, it's definitely going to be the one with "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" on it. "YYZ" was also "nominated for a Grammy in the Best Rock Instrumental category in 1982." (according to wikipedia), so that's pretty cool! In fact, looking it up, Rush has been nominated in the "Best Rock Instrumental" category SIX TIMES, although they lost the Grammy each time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1503 on: March 29, 2022, 02:25:23 PM »

Online HOF

« Reply #1504 on: March 29, 2022, 02:49:09 PM »
How about that Alan Parsons Project tune that always gets played on TV (usually in a car commercial) and was the "Chicago Bulls" song for a while. Sirius, maybe?  Do-do-DA, do-do-do, do-do-DA, do-do-do...

I’d buy this one.