Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52862 times)

Online HOF

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 20 - PLEASE NO SPOTLIGHTING)
« Reply #1400 on: March 27, 2022, 07:47:59 AM »
The Analog Kid was at 18 for me, so right in the ballpark. This song rocks in the most Rush sort of way. Have loved this one since it was one of the first tracks I heard on that Retrospective II set, but I gained a new appreciation once I got Signals. I love how it fits into the arc of the album. I imagine this song builds on Subdivisions and deals with a kid from the suburbs who dreams of other places/people/things that seem like “real” life (analogue) as opposed to his suburban existence. Doesn’t even know what exactly he’s hoping to find, but he knows he’ll grow up and leave home some day to find it. Also probably some autobiographical stuff from Neil’s youth I imagine as he dropped out of school and moved to England to pursue music, but ultimately came back and found what he didn’t realize he was leaving behind (the band that would give him success in music). Great lyrics, great bass playing, and Alex with one of his shreddiest solos. Love how the chorus slows down and is filled with dreamy keys. Also, the discerning ear will hear the same intervals as the “woah” from Learning to Live played by the keys on the outro.

I will heartily own up to not ranking Jacob’s Ladder. I think the imagery is cool and appreciate what they were trying to do with it? I’ve just never enjoyed it as a song. It’s tuneless and a bit robotic and repetitive. There are some parts I like, but they tend to get repeated over and over again. Ultimately, I think it’s a fine, artsy album piece, but not a song I’d ever pick out to listen to.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1401 on: March 27, 2022, 08:52:13 AM »
16 The Analog Kid (#33) - It's a very very good song that indeed manages to compile the trademarks from the heavier and keyboard eras of the band. And the chorus is just gorgeous!

15 Jacob’s Ladder (#40) - It has a very interesting format - it's concise and epic at the same time. The interlude and the instrumental part right after it are truly amazing.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: March 27, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »
16. The Analog Kid (#17)  almost nailed yet another one!  Benefits from its perfect placement on the album.  That said, the ‘you move me, you move me…..’ parts moves me.  And a damn good instrumental ending.

15. Jacob’s Ladder (#21) I don’t include it on any of my ‘best ofs’, but it benefits in my rankings from the album its on, its placement, and the era. The perfect type of song after two radio friendly hits.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1403 on: March 27, 2022, 09:18:11 AM »
16. The Analog Kid (24).  This song has really grown on me in the last decade or so.  Probably because they brought it back out for the Clockwork Angels tour.  Great rocker.

15. Jacob’s Ladder (10).  One of Rush’s proggiest tunes.  I love all of the different sections and twists and turns.  I actually got to perform this song my freshman year of college when I was the drummer in the school’s MIDI band, which was an ensemble that only used electronic instruments.  It was challenging, and I don’t think I ever got the unison figure before the “follow men’s eyes as they look to the sky” section correct, but there was a lot of fun things to play in that song.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1404 on: March 27, 2022, 09:21:01 AM »

I will heartily own up to not ranking Jacob’s Ladder. I think the imagery is cool and appreciate what they were trying to do with it? I’ve just never enjoyed it as a song. It’s tuneless and a bit robotic and repetitive. There are some parts I like, but they tend to get repeated over and over again. Ultimately, I think it’s a fine, artsy album piece, but not a song I’d ever pick out to listen to.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1405 on: March 27, 2022, 09:30:45 AM »
Time for four more as we enter the Top 15, and here come some of the Hemispheres-Signals songs we've been waiting for!

18 The Trees - ranked 27th. Happy to see it in the top 20. It's such a fun song with a great bridge in 5, one of their all-time greats, musically and lyrically.

17 The Camera Eye - ranked 26th. I figured if it was in the Top 75, it was going to be above the other Side 2 songs, so it doesn't surprise me that it's the next MP song on the list. Funny to see this and "The Trees" back-to-back on both MY list and the final ranking!

16 The Analog Kid - ranked 54th. A killer song from Signals, probably my 2nd favorite after "Subdivisions".

15 Jacob's Ladder - ranked 20th. Easily a Top 20 Rush song for me, and I probably could've ranked it higher, but I'm happy I had it at 20 and that it made it to 15th in the final ranking. Learning the drum part in this one was a challenge when I was younger, it definitely helped me improve in many ways.

(Edited to remove the "spotlighting")

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:51:38 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1406 on: March 27, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
Awful lot of spotlighting in that post, Marc.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1407 on: March 27, 2022, 09:36:38 AM »
Awful lot of spotlighting in that post, Marc.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Oh, my apologies. I wasn't sure what that meant? I've never heard of that before... should I edit my post?  :'( :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1408 on: March 27, 2022, 09:37:25 AM »
I’ve never heard the term either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1409 on: March 27, 2022, 09:39:11 AM »
I’ve never heard the term either.

Spotlighting or lamping is a method of hunting nocturnal animals using off-road vehicles and high-powered lights, spotlights, lamps or flashlights, that makes special use of the eyeshine revealed by many animal species.
From Wikipedia

*Shrug*

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1410 on: March 27, 2022, 09:43:06 AM »
Let's put it this way: I am sure most Rush fans here can look at it and figure out what the 14 songs left are at this point, but I feel that it is spotlighting to call them out by name.  When we got down to 3 or 4 songs left in the DT one, someone posted something along the lines of, "The obvious songs left are this, that and the other," which I felt was a jerk move (and the mods agreed as they deleted his post).  To me, it is a matter of courtesy.  Even if something is obvious, let the thread runner list them when the time comes. 

Example: say we get to the last two and someone posts, "The obvious top two songs are Song A and Song B, it's just a matter of what will be number 1." That, to me, would be a jerk move. 

In this context, spotlighting = spoiling.

As I said when I started the DT one, I got this idea from another place on the 'net, and it was pretty well understood there not to spotlight (see: call out the remaining songs by name, especially when we are this close to the finish).  Not trying to stifle chatter, and of course it's not really that big a deal, it's just a friendly request.  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1411 on: March 27, 2022, 09:50:10 AM »

15. Jacob’s Ladder (10).  One of Rush’s proggiest tunes.  I love all of the different sections and twists and turns.  I actually got to perform this song my freshman year of college when I was the drummer in the school’s MIDI band, which was an ensemble that only used electronic instruments.  It was challenging, and I don’t think I ever got the unison figure before the “follow men’s eyes as they look to the sky” section correct, but there was a lot of fun things to play in that song.

As a professional air drummer, I swear it took me years to finally get the ending of this song just right, meaning the 13-15 seconds just before the final vocal section at the end.  I still mess it up a little.  :lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1412 on: March 27, 2022, 09:52:52 AM »
Let's put it this way: I am sure most Rush fans here can look at it and figure out what the 14 songs left are at this point, but I feel that it is spotlighting to call them out by name.  When we got down to 3 or 4 songs left in the DT one, someone posted something along the lines of, "The obvious songs left are this, that and the other," which I felt was a jerk move (and the mods agreed as they deleted his post).  To me, it is a matter of courtesy.  Even if something is obvious, let the thread runner list them when the time comes. 

Example: say we get to the last two and someone posts, "The obvious top two songs are Song A and Song B, it's just a matter of what will be number 1." That, to me, would be a jerk move. 

In this context, spotlighting = spoiling.

As I said when I started the DT one, I got this idea from another place on the 'net, and it was pretty well understood there not to spotlight (see: call out the remaining songs by name, especially when we are this close to the finish).  Not trying to stifle chatter, and of course it's not really that big a deal, it's just a friendly request.  :tup :tup

Understood. I'll keep this in mind when replying to future song rankings as we finish the Top 14 out over the next week or so. I've edited my previous post as best as I could to remove any "spotlighting" for possible future spoilers.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1413 on: March 27, 2022, 09:55:32 AM »

Understood. I'll keep this in mind when replying to future song rankings as we finish the Top 14 out over the next week or so. I've edited my previous post as best as I could to remove any "spotlighting" for possible future spoilers.

Cool, no worries, and I know there was no malice on your part.  Hard to not get a little excited as we get near the end!  :tup :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1414 on: March 27, 2022, 10:16:11 AM »
The Trees was #21 for me.
The Camera Eye was #38
The  Analog Kid was # 30
Jacob's Ladder did not make my 75.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:53:16 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1415 on: March 27, 2022, 11:35:27 AM »
Yeah I have to agree with HOF about parts of JL dragging. Analog Kid is a great tune.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1416 on: March 27, 2022, 11:56:24 AM »
The Camera Eye was #38
The  Analog Kid was # 30

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1417 on: March 27, 2022, 12:02:18 PM »
16 The Analog Kid
Appeared on 23 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 3 (Deadeye21)

15 Jacob’s Ladder
Appeared on 22 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 1 (Tomislav95)

I had The Analog Kid at #19, so pretty close here. I remember being quite disappointed with Signals, but this song, a rocker, stood out to me. Signals was the first studio album that came out that I was already a fan.

I had Jacob's Ladder at #24. Not quite as high as this, but for all intents, I do rate it quite high. It's a great and powerful track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: March 27, 2022, 12:09:13 PM »
Jacob's Ladder didn't make my top 75, either. It's just not... a good song :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: March 27, 2022, 12:09:55 PM »
The Camera Eye was #38
The  Analog Kid was # 30

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1420 on: March 27, 2022, 12:10:48 PM »
Jacob's Ladder didn't make my top 75, either. It's just not... a good song :biggrin:

You had it at 72. 

I guess that explains why Tai Shan made your list. :P :lol  :biggrin:

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: March 27, 2022, 12:12:12 PM »

You had it at 72. 

I guess that explains why Tai Shan made your list. :P :lol  :biggrin:

Did I?! For shame. Should have been 30 places lower :lol

Leave Tai Shan out of it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1422 on: March 27, 2022, 12:13:49 PM »

Leave Tai Shan out of it.

Everyone else did. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: March 27, 2022, 12:15:01 PM »
 :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1425 on: March 27, 2022, 12:30:51 PM »
16 The Analog Kid

It would appear that most like this song a lot more than I do.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan, but it only finished at 52 for me; I guess there are just many I like more.  It was always great live, with the lasers during the chorus, although I was always surprised that it wasn't played more often (just 1 tour in the 21st century).

This is an excellent song, but I feel like it got more love because of the album on which it appeared.  Of course, I still had it at #24.  I never cared for the way they modified it live, so the studio version is definitely the go-to.

15 Jacob’s Ladder

This is always in my top 5, and when I did the ranking engine, it finished at 3, so I must have been in a "Jacob's Ladder is more awesome than normal" mood that day.  Just a flawless piece of music, and easily one of their best songs ever.  I was hoping it would finish top 10, but 15 isn't bad at all, all things considered.  The three who left it off of their lists need to be publicly shamed, however. :lol

Jacob's Ladder is just a brilliant piece of music.  It's deceptively complex.  The intro in alternating 5 and 6 is cool -- especially with Neil's marching snare keeping time.  The first "verse" section reminds me in a way of Long Distance Runaround.  In that song, the verses were in 4/4, but Bill Bruford would hit the snare every fifth beat.  In Jacob's Ladder, Alex is playing quarter note chords in 4/4, but he plays two eighth notes every fifth beat.  It sounds so simple, but keeping the timing straight is ridiculously hard.  The building of the next section, with the transition halfway through and the Taurus pedals adding a bit of a Middle Eastern flavor, all while oscillating between 5/4 and 6/4.  Then the calm middle section, followed by the building 6/8 and 7/8 section into the song's climax.  It takes you on such a journey -- all in the span of less than 8 minutes!  I had this song at #4.

The Score So Far
- Rush - 1 song of 8 (12.5% or 17.86% of album time):  Working Man - #56)
- Fly by Night - 3 songs of 8 (37.5% or 43.67% of album time):  Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36
- Caress of Steel - 2 songs of 5 (40% or 38.15% of album time):  The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59

- 2112 - 2 songs of 6 (33.33% or 19.42% of album time):  Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58
- A Farewell to Kings - 3 songs of 6 (50% or 51.57% of album time):  Closer to the Heart - #43; A Farewell to Kings - #26; Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage - #23
- Hemispheres - 2 songs of 4 (50% or 23.40% of album time):  Circumstances - #45; The Trees - #18
- Permanent Waves - 3 songs of 6 (50% or 45.13% of album time):  Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53; Jacob's Ladder - #15
- Moving Pictures - 3 songs of 7 (42.86% or 51.25% of album time):  Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38; The Camera Eye - #17
- Signals - 6 songs of 8 (75% or 75.22% of album time):  Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47; Losing It - #25; The Analog Kid - #16
- Grace Under Pressure - 4 songs of 8 (50% or 49.98% of album time):  The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29; Red Sector A - #21; Distant Early Warning - #20
- Power Windows - 7 songs of 8 (87.5% or 86.19% of album time):  Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30; Territories #24; Manhattan Project - #22
- Hold Your Fire - 5 songs of 10 (50% or 40.19% of album time):  Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34
- Presto - 4 songs of 11 (36.36% or 39.62% of album time):  Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33; Available Light - #19
- Roll the Bones - 4 songs of 10 (40% or 41.62% of album time):  Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32
- Counterparts - 6 songs of 11 (54.55% or 54.24% of album time):  Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28
- Test for Echo - 2 songs of 11 (18.18% or 19.41% of album time):  Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62
- Vapor Trails - NO SONGS (0%)
- Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS (0%)
- Clockwork Angels - 4 songs of 12 (33.33% or 41.58% of album time):  Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1426 on: March 27, 2022, 12:40:55 PM »
Tai Shame

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1427 on: March 27, 2022, 02:31:41 PM »
With these latest 4 songs, I don’t have too much to add. Always loved The Trees, especially the atmospheric middle section with the melodic percussion. And the lyrics were clever - I like Jammindude’s analogy of them being akin to Dr. Seuss’ star-bellied sneetches. It’s #37 on my list.

TCE is catchy and I’ve always enjoyed it, but it is a bit repetitive. As such, it placed at #48 for me.

Growing up, TAK was always a close second favorite for me on Signals until later years where LI moved into second place. Definitely the most guitar-centered and rocking of the songs on that album. While I don’t mind the arrangement changes they made to it when they brought in back in the 90s and beyond, I would be curious to know why they did that. Another song that cracked my personal top 20 at #19.

I always liked but can’t say that I loved JL - certainly not in comparison to a couple other tracks on the album that shall remain nameless for now. Nonetheless, I think Rush finally bringing it out live on the R40 tour (and giving me another song I could cross off my list of songs I haven’t seen live) improved my appreciation for it. So it placed at #33 on my list.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1428 on: March 27, 2022, 02:33:24 PM »
Does anyone know if Analog Kid and Digital Man are related?

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: March 27, 2022, 02:53:18 PM »
^
'New World Man' is feeling a bit Tai Shan'd
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online HOF

« Reply #1430 on: March 27, 2022, 03:00:48 PM »

I would say yes, or at least I would say people have interpreted it that way (see this following link for example).

https://rushvault.com/2011/02/06/digital-man/

There is a story about this song that I cannot find for the life of me now. The whole “he don’t need a bed” line was inspired by somebody who was working in the studio and he was a really odd guy and they were trying to figure out sleeping arrangements, and somebody uttered something to the effect of “the digital man wont need a bed.” The guys thought it was hilarious and it ended up in the song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1431 on: March 27, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »

According to the Wiki article for Signals:

Peart had written the words to ["The Analog Kid"] initially as a companion piece to "Digital Man", which Rush had started working on in late 1981

-Marc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1432 on: March 27, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »
^
'New World Man' is feeling a bit Tai Shan'd

When he learns to mend the mess he makes, that might change.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: March 27, 2022, 03:15:00 PM »
Disappointing Jacobs Ladder didn't make top 10.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1434 on: March 27, 2022, 03:24:23 PM »
Here come numbers 16 and 15!

16 The Analog Kid

15 Jacob’s Ladder

The Analog Kid - my rank 40. Really surprised this song finishes so high. Sure, I had it at 40 but overall that felt about right to me, obviously not!

Jacob's Ladder - my rank 14. OK, yes....probably too low. However, I totally agree with Kev, how can anyone leave this song out of the top 75 Rush songs? Well I guess they can!