Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52910 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 20 - PLEASE NO SPOTLIGHTING)
« Reply #1365 on: March 25, 2022, 08:32:07 PM »
wolfking does indeed reign supreme. Below is how many times each list submitter was the high on a song in the top 75.

Keep in mind that many songs have multiple voters as the top rater, so the total of the numbers below far exceeds 75.

wolfking – 8
DTA – 7
nobloodyname – 6
The Realm – 6
HOF - 6
Stadler – 5
Tomislave95 – 5
Cool Chris – 5
Dream Team – 5
Puppies_On_Acid – 5
romdrums – 4
ReaperKK – 4
nick_z – 4
DragonAttack – 4
kingshmegland – 3
devieira73 – 3
KevShmev – 3
Setlist Scotty – 3
Deadeye21 – 3
MrMike – 2
jammindude – 2
The Letter M – 2
pg1067 – 1
TAC – 1
BRGM - 1

:metal  I knew my tastes would be varied enough to be somewhat up there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1366 on: March 25, 2022, 08:32:20 PM »
wolfking does indeed reign supreme. Below is how many times each list submitter was the high on a song in the top 75.

Keep in mind that many songs have multiple voters as the top rater, so the total of the numbers below far exceeds 75.

Deadeye21 – 3

Ok, so I was named on Everyday Glory, so I’m willing to bet I’m the highest for two songs that completely didn’t make the list.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: March 25, 2022, 08:43:18 PM »
I am totally loving these next level stat breakdowns!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1368 on: March 25, 2022, 09:17:52 PM »
If you wanted some thing that represented the popularity of the albums a little bit better, you could tack on to the 1-75 score an additional score that reflects how much of the album that song represents.
That doesn't sound too far off from the Excel document I created to rank individual DT songs (whose scores were affected by how much of a percentage of the album they took up) to more objectively determine how I should rank DT's albums. So yeah, I'm a nerd!   :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: March 25, 2022, 09:35:47 PM »
I will save my overall comments for the end, but scanning my list, only one thing immediately jumps out at me. I am really disheartened my #14 didn't make the Top 75. I didn't think it would be high, but was certain it would make an appearance somewhere.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #1370 on: March 25, 2022, 10:47:05 PM »
20 Distant Early Warning
Appeared on 19 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 6 (wolfking)

I have couple friends who are longtime Rush fans as well, and both, while still liking this song, are a bit sick of it, but it is one I have never got tired or and probably never will. I still love it like crazy, and still enjoy it just as much as I did many years ago when I first heard it.  I had it at 14, and am pleased to see it made the top 20.

19 Available Light
Appeared on 19 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 1 (HOF)

I double checked the math on everything to make sure I had correct, but I was so stunned by how this finish, I tripled checked this one, just to make sure it was correct.  I knew the online fans loved this song, but it finishing this high? Wow. I had it at 54, which I still think seems about right, but many have mad love for it.
Couple of great songs here

Distant Early Warning - This one came in at #49. It might have gone a little higher but, like many here, I suffer from burnout on this track. It's a great song with great lyrics and I love the vocal melodies. I'm also a fan of the general mix on GUP. I like that cold, stark sound when it fits the music like it does on GUP.

Available Light - I had this at #11, but looking at my list now it probably could have gone a few spots higher. This song is the complete package. Great vocals, check! Perfect usage of keyboards, check! Spine tingling melodies, check! Fantastic drum workout by Neil, check! Short, but oh so sweet, guitar solo, check! I just absolutely love this song!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: March 25, 2022, 11:43:52 PM »

snip
DragonAttack – 4

This makes me feel a bit more 'normal'.  What did I have, ten listed ones for the DT countdown?  Though I do know some of them were by only one or two places.

And I probably had a couple more that didn't rate that I had as the top spot..... 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1372 on: March 26, 2022, 05:58:45 AM »
I will save my overall comments for the end, but scanning my list, only one thing immediately jumps out at me. I am really disheartened my #14 didn't make the Top 75. I didn't think it would be high, but was certain it would make an appearance somewhere.

Ah yes, The Wreckers.  That one finished at 101, which is probably around where I would have guessed. Good song that seemed to be liked by most, but never seemed like one that was a fan favorite from Clockwork Angels.

snip
DragonAttack – 4

This makes me feel a bit more 'normal'.  What did I have, ten listed ones for the DT countdown?  Though I do know some of them were by only one or two places.

And I probably had a couple more that didn't rate that I had as the top spot.....

Cannot recall.  Not sure I dug into the stats as deeply with the DT one as I am with the Rush one, to be honest.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1373 on: March 26, 2022, 06:06:53 AM »
The Anarchist not making the top 75 seems like such a huge oversight. It's the most old-Rush sounding song from CA and has a really solid bass line and chorus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1374 on: March 26, 2022, 06:07:25 AM »
In the meantime, we plunge forward today with two more!

18 The Trees
Appeared on 23 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 5 (DragonAttack)

I had this at 15, which seems about right as I usually have this one in that 10-15 sweet spot.  This is one I thought was awesome the first time I heard it, and my view in that regard has never wavered.  I get that some do not like the lyrics, but they work when viewing them metaphorically, IMO.

17 The Camera Eye
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (Puppies_On_Acid)

I like this song a lot; it came in at 53 on my list.  I do think a stronger hook could have made it an all-timer (in the sense of Rush classics for me, as it is already set in stone as the long song on Rush's most iconic record), but it's still damn great from start to finish. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1375 on: March 26, 2022, 07:52:43 AM »
The Trees (ranked #24)

Just CLASSIC Rush. So much goodness in a tight package. And THAT instrumental interlude and solo - one of my absolute favorite Rush moments

The Camera Eye (ranked #60)

Rush's last "long song". I wasn't quite sure what the consensus was going to be on this one - I wouldn't have guessed top 20, for sure. It's a cool song, but there is something about it that prevents it from crossing into greatness for me. Maybe the riff is a little more predictable than the usual, maybe the structure is a bit repetitive given the song's length...I don't know. Still enjoy it a ton when it comes up, though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 08:11:15 AM by nick_z »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1376 on: March 26, 2022, 08:03:30 AM »
The Trees is a definite Rush classic, but one that I don’t love as much as I used to. I always found the lyrics to be a lot of fun, but I’m not a huge fan of the music, except I think the middle instrumental section is very cool. I find myself wanting to skip ahead to it when I listen to this (I guess it makes up about half of the song anyway). At any rate, it came in at 69.

Really surprised that The Camera Eye made it this high as I thought it was a little more divisive. It’s a fantastic song though, and I probably have it too low looking at my list now. It’s one I don’t revisit as often as I tend to ignore MP as an album. I’m not sure why it only clocked in at 71 for me, as I’ve thought it was one of their strongest “long” tracks in the past, but I have several ahead of it anyway. I love the atmosphere and keys on it, and it really rocks in places. Very cool, extended solo as well.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 08:10:09 AM by HOF »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: March 26, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »

Ah yes, The Wreckers.  That one finished at 101, which is probably around where I would have guessed. Good song that seemed to be liked by most, but never seemed like one that was a fan favorite from Clockwork Angels.

Hey you spoiled the reveal  :) When I first heard that song, I thought "wow, that has the be my favorite Rush chorus" [knowing Rush songs don't always have a typical chorus]. And I still think that today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1378 on: March 26, 2022, 09:57:37 AM »
Heh, a small reveal, but I like to drop reveals here and there to keep it a little fun.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: March 26, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »
And there still hasn't been a song that has appeared on all 25 lists! (unless I missed it).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1380 on: March 26, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »
Nope, we won't get to a song that appeared on all lists until we get to number 8.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1381 on: March 26, 2022, 10:22:43 AM »
18. The Trees (N/A).  So I was one of the two people who didn’t have this in my top 75.  It’s never really resonated with me. 

17. The Camera Eye (27).  I love the overall atmosphere of this song, and to me, this is one of the best examples of Rush’s ability to craft a compelling piece of music.  Moving Pictures, on the whole, is where I can tell Rush was really starting to learn how to arrange and orchestrate their songs.  I remember reading in a Modern Drummer interview with Neil around the release of Presto that Neil was discussing how everything up to Hemispheres was them pushing themselves as players, and then they turned their focus to arranging, song construction, and orchestration with the 80’s albums, so that, when Presto came around, they felt they had a full tool box.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1382 on: March 26, 2022, 12:33:21 PM »
18 The Trees (#18) - A perfect concise prog song. Always good to hear it attached to Broon's Bane at ESL. About The Trees lyrics, I think they were inspired by Animal Farm, a George Orwell's novel, which uses metaphorical language indeed, so it's the "right way" to view them.

17 The Camera Eye (#32) - It's a shame that this one was the last Rush big epic - like romdrums said, just when they were getting even better with its arrangements and melodies. It's a great song, sure it could have more remarkable melodies, but it is great the way it is - great instrumentation all around.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1383 on: March 26, 2022, 02:07:45 PM »
I had The Trees at #49.  Good song, love the lyrics, but it's slight compared to all that surrounds it on Hemispheres.

I had The Camera Eye at #5.  One of my favorite songs of theirs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1384 on: March 26, 2022, 02:13:02 PM »
18 The Trees

17 The Camera Eye

I had The Trees at #22 . It's a really great song. I've always loved it.

I thought this Reaction Video was kind of funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-PVfycaxQ0

I had The Camera Eye at #56. I like it a lot, but for some reason, I've never considered it in the pantheon of Rush songs. I'm kind of surprised it's this high in the countdown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1385 on: March 26, 2022, 04:21:30 PM »
We still haven't had a song with 100% representation, but we're getting awfully close!

18 The Trees

I had this at 15, which seems about right as I usually have this one in that 10-15 sweet spot.  This is one I thought was awesome the first time I heard it, and my view in that regard has never wavered.  I get that some do not like the lyrics, but they work when viewing them metaphorically, IMO.

This is just an excellent, concise song.  Alex shines throughout.  The 5/4 section followed by the transition into the final verse is so well-crafted.  Geddy's bass tone is incredible, as is Neil's use of tuned percussion.  I had it at #17.  I'll always remember Neil's answer in the Backstage Club newsletter when asked what the song was about:  "an allegorical metaphor about human behavior."  Hardly subtle or profound, but still clever and well done.

17 The Camera Eye

I like this song a lot; it came in at 53 on my list.  I do think a stronger hook could have made it an all-timer (in the sense of Rush classics for me, as it is already set in stone as the long song on Rush's most iconic record), but it's still damn great from start to finish.

This has always been an odd song for me.  I love it, but I always feel like I should love it more than I do.  Very atmospheric at times.  Very evocative lyrics.  I love the slow build up.  Neil's fills as the song starts to kick in are excellent, and I love the way he modifies them just slightly the second time around.  I almost wish it were longer with a couple other cities.  I had it at 21.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song of 8 (12.5% or 17.86% of album time):  Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs of 8 (37.5% or 43.67% of album time):  Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36
Caress of Steel - 2 songs of 5 (40% or 38.15% of album time):  The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59

2112 - 2 songs of 6 (33.33% or 19.42% of album time):  Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58
A Farewell to Kings - 3 songs of 6 (50% or 51.57% of album time):  Closer to the Heart - #43; A Farewell to Kings - #26; Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage - #23
Hemispheres - 2 songs of 4 (50% or 23.40% of album time):  Circumstances - #45; The Trees - #18
Permanent Waves - 2 songs of 6 (33.33% or 23.42% of album time):  Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53
Moving Pictures - 3 songs of 7 (42.86% or 51.25% of album time):  Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38; The Camera Eye - #17
Signals - 5 songs of 8 (62.5% or 63.96% of album time):  Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47; Losing It - #25
Grace Under Pressure - 4 songs of 8 (50% or 49.98% of album time):  The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29; Red Sector A - #21; Distant Early Warning - #20
Power Windows - 7 songs of 8 (87.5% or 86.19% of album time):  Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30; Territories #24; Manhattan Project - #22
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs of 10 (50% or 40.19% of album time):  Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34
Presto - 4 songs of 11 (36.36% or 39.62% of album time):  Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33; Available Light - #19
Roll the Bones - 4 songs of 10 (40% or 41.62% of album time):  Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32
Counterparts - 6 songs of 11 (54.55% or 54.24% of album time):  Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28
Test for Echo - 2 songs of 11 (18.18% or 19.41% of album time):  Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS (0%)
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS (0%)
Clockwork Angels - 4 songs of 12 (33.33% or 41.58% of album time):  Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1386 on: March 26, 2022, 04:29:03 PM »

pg1067 – 1

Hmmm...I think I'm pretty consistent with the consensus on most of my top picks, so I'm guessing this one song is going to be one of my top 3-4 picks and that I won't be alone.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1387 on: March 26, 2022, 04:31:54 PM »

pg1067 – 1
TAC – 1

And because we suck so much, we probably have the same song, so we only get like half credit. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1388 on: March 26, 2022, 04:34:44 PM »
 :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: March 26, 2022, 04:47:47 PM »
18. The Trees (#5) Top 10 finishes: 2

Take my favorite ten Rush songs, put the names in a hat, and then start picking them one by one.  The order would probably change weekly.  This stays top five for the intelligent lyrics. The 'Animal Farm' references, along with the underlying comment about communism and not socialism (in the end, no one benefits, rather than everyone benefits equally well).  Oh, and the percussion, and guitars, the light use of synthesizer, and Geddy's somewhat whimsical voice.

Surprised that there were only two Top Ten voters, but there were obviously a bunch who had it in their Top Thirty.  I am surprised I had it highest of all here.  (Since I don't suck, at least I'll get full credit :D)

17. The Camera Eye (#26)
A great song?  Maybe, maybe not.  But it's really really really frickin good.  I enjoy the fact that I can just kick back and 'drift' with it after such a hard driving side one.  Fortunate to have seen this performed in person.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:38:31 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1390 on: March 26, 2022, 06:37:48 PM »

18 The Trees

17 The Camera Eye

The Trees - my rank 70. I guess this is classic Rush but I have never been a huge fan of this one. I do concede though that my ranking is probably a bit low.

The Camera Eye - my rank 22. Just a really interesting song musically, it kind of meanders along but at the same time sucks you in.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1391 on: March 26, 2022, 09:02:03 PM »
Sheesh!!  I can't believe how quickly one can fall behind on this thing!

32. Dreamline - Me #39

Fantastic album and concert opener!  I was so excited when I first heard the new track from Roll the Bones.  Too bad the rest of the album turned out to be mostly a disappointment.  It's not just a great riff and a great beat, but the lyrics perfectly capture the mood that the music is trying to convey and vice versa.   Just an excellent well crafted song.

31. Middletown Dreams - Me #49

Can't believe I had this one that low.  Just too much competition.  The intro is the perfect example of how something can be done with a synth that still sounds like it's being played organically.   The change up in the beats and the way they have slight variations on different bars.   "All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted" indeed.   That ideal was perfectly completed on the entire Power Windows album and this track in particular.   The third verse being very different from the first two is a nice change up.  And the lyrics are beautiful.

30. The Big Money - did not rank.  Both my trial lists had it outside the top 100.

One of only two Power Windows songs that did not make my top 75.  And to be honest, it is still my least favorite song from the album.   The lyrics are just too repetitive, and the musical ideas are not as interesting as the rest of the album.

29. Afterimage - Me #73

Grace Under Pressure is just an album onto itself isn't it?   Many many years ago, Stadler was one of the first people I remember describing the album as "cold" and I had never really thought about it before, but it totally is.   Not just cold, but actually downright bleak.    Afterimage is extremely emotionally packed, but it's about as bleak as a Cure song.   But the impact itself is still something that resonates if you're in the right mood.    It carries the weight of someone who has (edit) hasn't really dealt with the full impact of the death yet...but it's hard to tell exactly the stage they are at.  Either denial or bargaining.   It still perfectly coveys the mood.

28. Animate - Me #56

This was one of the reasons I truly loved Counterparts at first.  (it just didn't age well to me...but I digress)  But Animate is a fantastic album opener.   I will say that I love the sound on the entire album.  I remember in an interview at the time that Alex said that rather than plugging into the sound board, they actually did the old fashioned method of mic'ing up the amps to do this album and I personally think it really shows.  You can almost hear the "space" in the studio and it gives the whole album a more natural feel.   Neil's drum intro in particular sounds (to me) like you can hear the natural "echo" of the room.   Great riff, great driving beat, fantastic lyrics.

27. The Garden - Me #29

Man.  Still almost too soon to talk about this one.   What a statement.  Even my cousin (a bit of a daughter figure) who doesn't like Rush that much was completely floored by this song.   How many 40 year bands can say they ended on one of their best albums...and ended that album with one of their best songs?   Even when I heard it the first time, I had a little voice in the back of my mind telling me it was going to be the last.  There was just something about it.   But I pushed it away because I didn't want to believe it.

26. A Farewell to Kings - Me #47

Running out of adjectives here.   But I do love this song.  I still remember hearing it for the first time when I bought the cassette as a kid.   The slow intro built my anticipation because I knew something was coming.  And then when it hit, I just got a euphoric....well...RUSH.   Good memories.   And I can't help but think how cool it would have been to have been waiting for that album after the success of 2112.   I'm sure many had gone back and become obsessed with the first three and were just waiting to see what the boys had in store for the next chapter.   I'm sure no one was disappointed when this song came on.

25. Losing It - Me #48

Another "writing on the wall" song.   None of us wanted to believe it was coming to an end.   But when they pulled this one out for the R40 tour, you really got the feeling Neil was trying to tell us something.   "This is it.  I can't do this anymore."   Beautiful words that still make me misty eyed to this day. 

24. Territories - Me #4 BABY!!!

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!   Actually, my first list had it at #3, but after some soul searching I swapped 3 and 4 and it really really really really hurt to have to take this down to four.   I love the music on this, but the lyrics take the cake.  My #1 Neil Peart lyrics of any song he ever did hands down.  I've memorized the entire thing, and I often look for opportunities to recite it wherever opportunity arises.   I've always hated nationalism and tribalism.   But hearing the idea clarified in this way helped me to convey not just the emotion of distaste, but to truly communicate to others how toxic the entire idea of nationalism and tribalism is.    The "better beer" line is particularly brilliant to me because it underscores the whole idea that the conqueror will always complain about the land he just conquered...lamenting that things were so much better where he came from.... ugh....then why did you leave to conquer?   And of course, Neil's #1 single line of all time is in my sig.   It's an entire world outlook for me now.  A rejection of nationalistic pride.  No matter what nation you're from.   

23. Cygnus X-1 - Me #13

The perfect first half (third?) of what I consider to be one of the greatest compositions in rock history.   I wasn't even sure what had just hit me when the cassette came to an end.  Air guitaring to the ending section would send me into an absolutely frenzy and then my mom would burst in and scare me because she thought I was having some kind of conniption fit.    :rollin     But hey, a *performance* was taking place!!!    Man, parents just don't understand.     The ups and downs on this song is off the chart.   I love the way every single section is wonderfully crafted to communicate the story.   The music is telling the story just as much as the lyrics are.   The hopefulness before the journey, the panic at the danger, the calm before the storm, and then the explosive damage as the full strength of the black hole takes over.   Just beautiful.

22. Manhattan Project - Me #18

Another gem from this nearly perfect album.   Who doesn't get goosebumps at the "flying out of the shock waves" line?   And then the small musical bridge that builds up to the final chorus.   I also really enjoy the way that the chorus is sung in two different ways.   Stuff like that really keeps these songs interesting and completely separates a composition that happens to have synths, from a completely synthesized pop song that is mostly cut and pasted to get the desired results.   There's a very organic and human element in even the most digitized Rush song.

21. Red Sector A - did not rank. 

It now KILLS me that this didn't make my final list.  I go back and forth on it.   My first list it was 102, and my second list it was 57 (huge jump).   Why it got lost in the last minute shuffle to the final list I don't know.  But this alone makes me want to tweak my list again.   Fantastic song.   

20. Distant Early Warning - Did not rank - my two test lists had it at 80 and 95

I like the driving main riff.  I actually like the whole song.  The chorus is a bit odd on this one.  Parts of the lyrics come across as so non-sensical.   I know what the song is about...but someone to sweep the floors? What??   And Absalom? (The biblical character I'm familiar with...but what has he got to do with any of this?)  I don't know.   It's got its moments.  But it's quite a jarring song.   

19. Available Light - Me #57

Just a beautiful song.   I think we all knew as soon as we heard the album that Geddy was never going to be able to hit that note in the chorus on a full tour, so I knew right away they'd never play it.   But what a beautiful sentiment.   Alex's bluesy guitar play over the second verse followed by the upbuilding hopefulness of the chorus is just a wonderful moment.

18. The Trees - Me #26

My first exposure to this song was the *PERFECT* Side 3 of Exit...Stage Left  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Still knocks my socks off to this day.  I will concede that the lyrics come across a bit hokey these days, but I think the cautionary tale still works.   I mean, it almost reads as classic child's literature ala Dr. Suess or the like.  But that doesn't make it a bad thing.  I still quite love some of of Dr. Suess' cautionary tales for children (The Sneeches are my favorite).   But the song itself is probably one of the best examples of something you could show a newcomer to Rush so they know what they are getting into.  It compacts a lot of prog into a smaller package.   

17. The Camera Eye - Me #17

I hate to say it, but I almost feel I overrated this one slightly.  Maybe nostalgia got to me that day.  If I did it over, I'd probably have it just barely outside the top 20, but this ranking is pretty close so there's no sense splitting hairs.   It's a beautiful song.  Just probably the "least best" of their works in the 8-15 min range.  I do have particular fun playing Rock Band version on drums.  I haven't pulled that game out in years.  This makes me want to dust it off.  (if my game system still works)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 09:43:07 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1392 on: March 26, 2022, 09:10:59 PM »
Epic write-up!!  :metal :metal

It's funny to think that if I redid this using the ranking engine now, how different it might look.  My top 20-25 would remain intact, with maybe a few moving up and down a spot or two, but there'd likely be some major movement with the rest. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1393 on: March 26, 2022, 09:12:57 PM »
Also, for anyone who thinks they know what my specific Rush tastes are, tomorrow's songs will be one that I think is way too high (but I am not surprised where it finished) and another I think finished way too low (should have been 10-12 spots higher).  Chew on that for 8-10 hours. :P :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1394 on: March 26, 2022, 09:15:16 PM »
This Rush idiot will not be surprised.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1395 on: March 26, 2022, 09:19:38 PM »
It's just too bad we don't have live looks at reactions when everyone sees the posted songs, because I'd love to see the collective gasps when War Paint finishes in the top 5.

Oops on the spoiler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1396 on: March 26, 2022, 09:34:05 PM »
It's just too bad we don't have live looks at reactions when everyone sees the posted songs, because I'd love to see the collective gasps when War Paint Cinderella Man finishes in the top 5.

Oops on the spoiler.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1397 on: March 26, 2022, 09:35:29 PM »
23. Cygnus X-1 - Me #13

The perfect first half (third?) of what I consider to be one of the greatest compositions in rock history.   I wasn't even sure what had just hit me when the cassette came to an end.  Air guitaring to the ending section would send me into an absolutely frenzy and then my mom would burst in and scare me because she thought I was having some kind of conniption fit.    :rollin     But hey, a *performance* was taking place!!!    Man, parents just don't understand.     The ups and downs on this song is off the chart.   I love the way every single section is wonderfully crafted to communicate the story.   The music is telling the story just as much as the lyrics are.   The hopefulness before the journey, the panic at the danger, the calm before the storm, and then the explosive damage as the full strength of the black hole takes over.   Just beautiful.

Is there any one of us who hasn't been there?!   :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1398 on: March 27, 2022, 06:34:08 AM »
Here come numbers 16 and 15!

16 The Analog Kid
Highest Ranking: 3 (Deadeye21)

It would appear that most like this song a lot more than I do.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan, but it only finished at 52 for me; I guess there are just many I like more.  It was always great live, with the lasers during the chorus, although I was always surprised that it wasn't played more often (just 1 tour in the 21st century).

15 Jacob’s Ladder
Appeared on 22 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 1 (Tomislav95)

This is always in my top 5, and when I did the ranking engine, it finished at 3, so I must have been in a "Jacob's Ladder is more awesome than normal" mood that day.  Just a flawless piece of music, and easily one of their best songs ever.  I was hoping it would finish top 10, but 15 isn't bad at all, all things considered.  The three who left it off of their lists need to be publicly shamed, however. :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1399 on: March 27, 2022, 07:10:56 AM »

18 The Trees

17 The Camera Eye

Ok so The Trees was my number 63, and easily my least favourite from Hemispheres. But, that doesn’t mean it’s not a great song. My favourite part of this song is actually the clean riff after the synth solo and the solo that follows. Lyrics are a bit meh though.
The Camera Eye was my number 5. I don’t know why. The lyrics aren’t overly gripping, but there’s just a great chemistry between the trio in songs like these where they’re just jamming overall, as we see in one of the other songs on the list.

16 The Analog Kid
Highest Ranking: 3 (Deadeye21)

15 Jacob’s Ladder
Appeared on 22 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 1 (Tomislav95)

G’day, I’m Deadeye21, so quite obviously this song is my number 3. I think this song is basically a condensed version of the history of the Rush sound. The distinctive, punchy riff followed by the groove of the verse chords, and then a chorus filled with synth. And then to cap that all off with one of Alex’s most monumental solos? This song is utterly amazing.

Jacob’s Ladder arrived at 15 (wait a minute, I got this one right!!). You could easily copy and paste my Camera Eye comments here. This song has one of my favourite Rush riffs of all time in it too.
So why did this one end up ten ranks lower than Camera Eye for me when the majority opinion puts this one ahead? For me, I actually find some sections drag on a little too long. The synth led section (post vocal) is led by one riff that doesn’t really go anywhere for me, whereas Camera Eye changes frequently enough while being tied to the same few riffs. The limited lyrics to Jacob’s Ladder also gives Camera Eye a little extra meat to its bones.

I realise most people won’t overly care about my comparison here, but for those who are still reading this, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.