Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52901 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #1295 on: March 24, 2022, 07:06:28 PM »
If we’re free to talk about songs we’re sure won’t make it then that’s an easier post for me to make. I’ve got quite a few in the top 40 that are not going to make the list at all.

What You’re Doing at 27
Workin Them Angels at 28
BU2B at 30
Half the World at 31
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1296 on: March 24, 2022, 07:08:40 PM »
And another bunch that just missed the top 40

The Color of Right at 41
Faithless at 42
Ghost Rider at 43
Time and Motion at 44

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1297 on: March 24, 2022, 07:13:31 PM »
That’s my second favorite line in the entire song. It’s PERFECT!

I saw this post this morning and I laughed my ass off. I'm not picking on J-Dude but this is such a Rush dork thing to say. :lol

Like my Top 5 lines in Big Money:
1. Big Money goes around the world
2. It's a Cinderella story
3. Big Money take a cruise
4. It's that old time religion
5. Big Money make no sound
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1298 on: March 24, 2022, 07:19:45 PM »
The Way The Wind Blows.   

I had it at 20 (I had six songs from Snakes and Arrows in my top 75).  I'm still enamored with the documentary, where Neil was talking about the physicality of playing the drums like he does, and his approach to composing his parts.  He speaks to having four different approaches behind each verse, and puts down his track.  Then you see Nick agonizing because he feels it's missing something, an energy, and Nick tells Neil "can you do one more?".  Neil is like "WTF", then though he's not happy, he is a team player and then goes in and NAILS a completely new take of the song, and you can see the rest of the band literally grooving to what he's playing.  I think that's one of my favorite stories about any band ever, and shows what kind of people the guys in Rush are.   The art comes first, but not at the expense (as too many artists do) of respect and friendship between the bandmembers. 

Knowing how it was created is powerful to me, and makes the song special to me.

I had The Way the Wind Blows JUST miss my top 75 (I ranked it #76). I really like the song too.

I LOVE that bit of the S&A "Making of". Makes me smile every time. The way Neil looks at Nick as he's explaining how he feels something is missing...and then he's (half-)jokingly muttering "...the FU**ER" as he goes back to his drumset. And then boom! And yes, the way Geddy and Alex groove to it, with Geddy going "wo-hoo" in the end  :) Makes my heart happy.

Online The Realm

« Reply #1299 on: March 24, 2022, 07:23:38 PM »
Sorry The Realm.  We all know Marathon will be #1.

Haha! Yes, it could be but still not sure that will help overall.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1300 on: March 24, 2022, 07:35:07 PM »
I got some great oldies in my top 10 as we all should.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1301 on: March 24, 2022, 07:35:52 PM »
I guess I am lucky as every song that I had in my top 39 made the top 75, but then four of my next seven did not:

Nobody's Hero 40
Prime Mover 41
Turn the Page 45
Where's My Thing 46

Also, it was mentioned a few days ago, and I meant to comment on it, but I am a little surprised that The Anarchist didn't make it.  I had it 56 and figured it would be make it for sure.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1302 on: March 24, 2022, 07:38:28 PM »
Wait…Prime Mover didn’t make it? I thought it did! I had that at 37

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1303 on: March 24, 2022, 07:39:14 PM »
Oops, brain fart, it did. I can't keep all of this shit straight.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: March 24, 2022, 07:40:20 PM »
I'd laugh at you but it hurts to the core. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: March 24, 2022, 08:22:40 PM »
I love the fact that power windows is not just number one...

For the love of Pete, please Kev continue with the countdown so this can no longer be true!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1306 on: March 24, 2022, 08:25:06 PM »
Top 20 starts tomorrow.

I will post the songs that didn't make the top 75 after I finish the top 20.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: March 24, 2022, 08:32:37 PM »
I must say that at this point I have absolutely no idea what songs with make the top 5. There is only one song I feel remotely confident about making the top 5, but would still not bet more than a dime on it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: March 25, 2022, 05:55:54 AM »
24. Territories (#42)  the message, the music, and once again its album placement.

23. Cygnus X-1 (NR)  somewhat like ‘By Tor’ is to me…..I like the music, but the lyrics and a few moments of Geddy going waaaay too high up there keep me away from this one.

22. Manhattan Project (#57)

21. Red Sector A (#22) almost nailed another one! Absolutely love the high hat.  And like others, I thought it was science fiction related at first, not related whatsoever with real events (and those in Geddy's family).

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 03:52:32 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1309 on: March 25, 2022, 06:11:12 AM »
"Let's get the top 20 going," say these guys below! :metal

20 Distant Early Warning
Appeared on 19 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 6 (wolfking)

I have couple friends who are longtime Rush fans as well, and both, while still liking this song, are a bit sick of it, but it is one I have never got tired or and probably never will. I still love it like crazy, and still enjoy it just as much as I did many years ago when I first heard it.  I had it at 14, and am pleased to see it made the top 20.

19 Available Light
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 1 (HOF)

I double checked the math on everything to make sure I had correct, but I was so stunned by how this finish, I tripled checked this one, just to make sure it was correct.  I knew the online fans loved this song, but it finishing this high? Wow. I had it at 54, which I still think seems about right, but many have mad love for it.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1310 on: March 25, 2022, 06:21:42 AM »

20 Distant Early Warning

19 Available Light

Roll out the red carpet. Time for the top 20!
Distant Early Warning came into my 37th slot. Nice and upbeat actually. Sometimes drives me crazy, but I’m never worried and pretty much always in for the ride.

Available Light was, admittedly, my number 46. However, I’m ecstatic to see this rank as highly as it has. Knowing that there are several other choices from Presto that likely aren’t here, this is a great consolation!
Beautiful song, and probably one of the last great high notes from Geddy (other than the glory of Everyday, well, Glory). Solo on this one is magnificent too. Kind of a tearjerker overall. Sad this one never got the attention it deserved live.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1311 on: March 25, 2022, 06:36:06 AM »
Distant Early Warning (ranked #19)

About the same as the aggregate. Certainly haven't gotten tired of it either and I enjoy every minute of it. Great ending too.

Available Light (ranked #58)

Great song, but I am, too, a bit surprised it made the overall top 20 (although in retrospect I think I could've ranked it a little higher myself). Really like the arrangement for the verse, and the "Oh, the wind can carry..." pre-chorus is fantastic (and so is the solo on that same progression). I'm listening to it as I write.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: March 25, 2022, 06:39:11 AM »

20 Distant Early Warning

I have couple friends who are longtime Rush fans as well, and both, while still liking this song, are a bit sick of it, but it is one I have never got tired or and probably never will. I still love it like crazy, and still enjoy it just as much as I did many years ago when I first heard it.  I had it at 14, and am pleased to see it made the top 20.

19 Available Light

I double checked the math on everything to make sure I had correct, but I was so stunned by how this finish, I tripled checked this one, just to make sure it was correct.  I knew the online fans loved this song, but it finishing this high? Wow. I had it at 54, which I still think seems about right, but many have mad love for it.

BINGO!  I had Available Light at #19!

DEW I had at # 29

Offline HOF

« Reply #1313 on: March 25, 2022, 06:49:53 AM »
Two of my very favorite Rush tracks today!

Distant Early Warning was my number 7. Even though I knew lots of Rush songs from the radio, this is the one that I heard one morning soon after I first started getting into DT that made me go, “oh, that’s where DT got their style.” I’ve just always loved the energy of this song, how it starts off with that weird sound and bass line and explodes into that big keyboard theme. Great chorus, another great build in the instrumental/solo, with the kind of crowd noises during the big keyboard theme again. Just tremendous. The “Absolom, Absolom, Absolom” line is also one that really gets me. So good.

Available Light was my number 1, and I’m not surprised I was the high person on it, but I knew there were a few others who had it up there so I’m a little disappointed it finished at only 19 (and left off of 6 lists!). Everything comes together on this song. The lyric is really really powerful, and it’s easily one of Geddy’s finest vocal performances. I love how they really built the arrangement around him and let him be the center of the song. Still, a bunch of great performances though, from that subtle guitar riff in the verse and Alex’s bluesy soloing over the second verse, to Neil really cutting loose on the pre-chorus and chorus, and a really great middle section and solo. I also like the piano on the verses. Not a lot of that in Rush songs really. A bunch of Rush songs have choked me up, but this one especially does at times. And again, what a performance from Geddy on the chorus. If this one doesn’t do it for you, you might be dead!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1314 on: March 25, 2022, 06:56:28 AM »
20. Distant Early Warning (N/A).  I must have been in a weird mood when I did my original rankings, because this song should have been much, much higher for me on this list.  Not Top 20, but Top 50 at least.  Great song.

19. Available Light (5).  What HOF said.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1315 on: March 25, 2022, 07:33:31 AM »
19 Available Light

Hey Kev, I assume this is it for Presto now...?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1316 on: March 25, 2022, 07:35:43 AM »
So can I start listing those songs I had in my top 75 that didn't make it?   As I count, sixteen of my top 75 are not in the main list.    I've got five songs in the top 30 that didn't make the overall 75.

How can you know that when you haven't seen 20-1 yet? ;)

Yeah, Nick has it right:  I meant those songs from albums that are "done" as of now.   I had I think six songs from S&A; I think I had Fountain of Lamneth at like #21 or something, that kind of thing.  But this is your baby (seriously) and I'm having fun as it is, I don't want to rock the boat.   I can wait to discuss my failures!  :) :) :)

No worries.  It was official a while back that nothing from Snakes and Arrows made the top 75, so songs from that are fair game for chatter. I would just prefer that a lot of chatter about songs likely to still be featured be kept to a low roar until I feature them. :)

As for The Way the Wind Blows, I do like that song quite a bit, but it feels like one where the mix of S&A let it down.  My beef with that record is that when it rocks, it has no balls. There is no oomph, no ass kick, so the rocking parts of this song fall a bit flat.  The mellow parts of it sound terrific.  And I guess that's why the more laid back songs tend to my favorites from this record now.  I need to revisit the live version of this song to see if that one is a little better.

I don't know what it is, but S&A really resonated with me. It's by far my favorite of the "post-trauma" records, and the only one I listen to with any regularity.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: March 25, 2022, 07:42:35 AM »

20 Distant Early Warning

19 Available Light

Distant Early Warning just missed my list at #76.  Not a bad song, not a great song.  A song.

Available Light was #21 on my list.  I'm a huge Presto fan to begin with - I think I had 9 out of 11 songs on my list - but this was highest (Superconductor is next at 25).

Offline HOF

« Reply #1318 on: March 25, 2022, 08:39:51 AM »
19 Available Light

There’s one more Presto track that I really love that I’ll be sad if it doesn’t reach, but I’m think it’s probably not going to be a top 18 track so it’s probably off. But maybe!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1319 on: March 25, 2022, 08:40:57 AM »

Correct.

Yeah, Nick has it right:  I meant those songs from albums that are "done" as of now.   I had I think six songs from S&A; I think I had Fountain of Lamneth at like #21 or something, that kind of thing.  But this is your baby (seriously) and I'm having fun as it is, I don't want to rock the boat.   I can wait to discuss my failures!  :) :) :)

Discuss away!   :tup :tup

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1320 on: March 25, 2022, 08:44:21 AM »

Correct.

Damn, no Hand Over Fist or Anagram? I love those tracks. I knew I wasn’t getting You Bet Your Life, but I was really hoping one of those severely underrated gems would get a nod.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1321 on: March 25, 2022, 08:46:21 AM »

Correct.

Damn, no Hand Over Fist or Anagram? I love those tracks. I knew I wasn’t getting You Bet Your Life, but I was really hoping one of those severely underrated gems would get a nod.

Yeah, love both of those. Anagram was the one I was hoping would make it. I had it at 29, but it’s my third favorite on Presto after Available Light and The Pass. There is an absolutely epic NP drum fill at the end of the last chorus that’s easily a top 10 NP moment for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: March 25, 2022, 09:13:07 AM »
Hand Over Fist was originally going to be an instrumental.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1323 on: March 25, 2022, 09:27:09 AM »

So Hand was lyrics and Fist was instrumental? Seems Hand won.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: March 25, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »

So Hand was lyrics and Fist was instrumental? Seems Hand won.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: March 25, 2022, 10:43:22 AM »
Couldn't be more perfect. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1326 on: March 25, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »
20 Distant Early Warning

I have no qualms about this song being in the top 75, but #20?  That's just crazy stuff.  It's a fine song that would be much better with better bass tone and more aggressive playing in the verses.  I had it at #68.

19 Available Light

Almost nailed it.  I had it at #18.  Probably the single most underrated song in Rush's catalog (although it being #19 here clearly shows that's not the case among this group).  It's not a song that really clicked with me at first.  But when it did click...damn!  I would just hit the "back" button over and over and listen to this repeatedly.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)

2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 3 songs (Closer to the Heart - #43; A Farewell to Kings - #26; Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage - #23)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 5 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47; Losing It - #25)
Grace Under Pressure - 4 songs (The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29; Red Sector A - #21; Distant Early Warning - #20)
Power Windows - 7 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30; Territories #24; Manhattan Project - #22)
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34)
Presto - 4 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33; Available Light - #19)
Roll the Bones - 4 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32)
Counterparts - 6 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS
Clockwork Angels - 4 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 12:24:37 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1327 on: March 25, 2022, 11:03:40 AM »

Hand over Fist was my #165 song...beating out only BU2B2.   :)  Anagram is better, but the clever lyrics only take it so far.  I had it at 102.

If we’re free to talk about songs we’re sure won’t make it then that’s an easier post for me to make. I’ve got quite a few in the top 40 that are not going to make the list at all.

I already mentioned that my only top 25 song that's locked out is Earthshine (#23).  I've only got four others in my top 40 that are locked out (although there's one other that I'm 99.9% certain won't make it):

28 - Armor and Sword - Just LOVE it when the heavy section kicks in.  So great live.
30 - The Fountain of Lamneth - In retrospect, 30 seems a bit high.  It's super spotty.  TFOL is here on the strength of No One at the Bridge.
33 - Chemistry - Not a ton to say about it.  I just really like it.
35 - Far Cry - Without this song and Armor and Sword, S&A would probably be Rush's worst album.  It's like they shot their wad with the first two songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1328 on: March 25, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »
The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)

2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 3 songs (Closer to the Heart - #43; A Farewell to Kings - #26; Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage - #23)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 5 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47; Losing It - #25)
Grace Under Pressure - 3 songs (The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29; Red Sector A - #21)
Power Windows - 7 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30; Territories #24; Manhattan Project - #22)
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34)
Presto - 3 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33)
Roll the Bones - 4 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32)
Counterparts - 6 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS
Clockwork Angels - 4 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27)

So going by the albums that aren't done yet, there are 27 songs left (from those eight albums, 2112-POW), which means there are nine songs of those 27 that didn't make the Top 18. Of those ten, I'm willing to bet "Lessons", "Tears", and "The Twilight Zone" are among them, as well as "Chemistry", "The Body Electric" and "Red Lenses". Just my guess.

Also, pg, did you purposely leave out "Available Light" and "Distant Early Warning" in your "score so far" above?

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 12:38:55 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1329 on: March 25, 2022, 11:51:43 AM »
I guess I am lucky as every song that I had in my top 39 made the top 75, but then four of my next seven did not:

Nobody's Hero 40
Prime Mover 41
Turn the Page 45
Where's My Thing 46

Also, it was mentioned a few days ago, and I meant to comment on it, but I am a little surprised that The Anarchist didn't make it.  I had it 56 and figured it would be make it for sure.

Same here when I look at my Top 40 - at least based on the songs revealed so far. The 15 that have been locked out past that:

Alien Shore (#41)
Vapor Trail (#42)
Ceiling Unlimited (#48)
Lock and Key (#50)
Between Sun & Moon (#51)
Far Cry (#54)
Where's My Thing? (#55)
Nobody's Hero (#59)
Stick It Out (#61)
BU2B (#62)
Armor and Sword (#65)
Ghost Rider (#67)