Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52787 times)

Online nick_z

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #1260 on: March 23, 2022, 07:27:55 PM »
This is where I will be accused of being crazy, but as I am doing a run through of Rush's discography again right now, while the song A Farewell to Kings would rank a lot higher for me than it did a month ago, conversely, Cygnus X-1 would rank a lot lower for me.  I listened to both yesterday and today and was kind of stunned at how much I didn't really enjoy it.  And I enjoyed the hell out of the first four songs from that record (Madrigal is always a snoozer for me), so it's not like I am off of 1977 Rush right now.  I just think Cygnus X-1 isn't as great as I always thought it was.

Doing the same thing, and listened to A Farewell to Kings today. Agreed on the title-track, I wish I had ranked it higher (it did pretty well anyway  :)). Differently from you, though, today's session confirmed Cygnus X-1 is exactly as great as I remembered  :biggrin: Love it.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1261 on: March 23, 2022, 08:21:55 PM »
They don't like better food and better beer.  Obviously.

In this case, I like better songwriting and better performing.   :biggrin:

HAHAHAHA!   I wish I thought of that line!   :)  :) :)

Yes, great comeback here.

(That better food and better beer line just kills me - just so lame)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1262 on: March 23, 2022, 11:56:22 PM »
That’s my second favorite line in the entire song. It’s PERFECT!

Full write up later. Just got back from two day training convention for work. I’m getting over a bad cold (cough won’t go away) and I’m exhausted.

But I’m PUMPED that POWs best song made it to the top 25!!!

:panicattack:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1263 on: March 24, 2022, 04:43:23 AM »
They don't like better food and better beer.  Obviously.

In this case, I like better songwriting and better performing.   :biggrin:

HAHAHAHA!   I wish I thought of that line!   :)  :) :)

Yes, great comeback here.

(That better food and better beer line just kills me - just so lame)

Lame?  Please. It's a fantastic line.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1264 on: March 24, 2022, 06:08:28 AM »
We get the last two before we hit the top 20...

22 Manhattan Project
Appeared on 20 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 7 (wolfking)

Love, love, love the cinematic feel of this song.  It finished at 44 for me, and was my 7th highest ranked song from Power Windows because, hey, they couldn't all be the top rated one, but being (for me) the 7th best song from such a tremendous record is still pretty darn impressive.  :hat

21 Red Sector A
Appeared on 21 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 4 (Tomislav95, nobloodyname)

This has been one of my favorites since I became a fan. I thought I might be the high on it, as I had it at 12, but happily that was not the case.  This is a rare case where it felt like the studio version was a letdown, but then it became a beast live.  I literally never listen to the studio version of this song (it sounds too stiff and Alex sounds like he doesn't even care when playing the solo).  The version on A Show of Hands is, for me, the definitive one.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1265 on: March 24, 2022, 06:41:41 AM »

22 Manhattan Project

21 Red Sector A

Manhattan Project arrived at number 36. As you said, this song is super cinematic, and that “pilot of the Enola Gay flying out of the shock wave” line is reason enough to grant it such a high placement on my list. If I were taking into account the live versions, I’m sure this would’ve gone even higher, as the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble really made this song into a beast on the CA Tour.

Red Sector A hit at 70. As I have said from the start, my rankings are based solely upon live versions (otherwise a few tracks from the upper echelons of my list would not exist as high as they do). You kinda hit the nail on the head though.
This is a rare case where it felt like the studio version was a letdown, but then it became a beast live.  I literally never listen to the studio version of this song (it sounds too stiff and Alex sounds like he doesn't even care when playing the solo).  The version on A Show of Hands is, for me, the definitive one.

The studio version is very cold and clinical. While that kinda meets the bleakness of the subject matter, I don’t know if that’s a great testament to their songwriting prowess or utterly problematic. Oddly, it’s a problem that I don’t find on other tracks on the album, as evidenced by picks 12 and 27 on my list, which to me feel full of life.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1266 on: March 24, 2022, 07:02:27 AM »
22 Manhattan Project (#28) - Like all 5 PoW songs that are on the ASoH LP or VHS, I first heard/saw the Manhattan Project there and fell in love with its (their) live version(s) - maybe that's why I see these 5 songs at a higher level than the other 3 even today. Awesome music and maybe it's Rush at its most cinematic!

21 Red Sector A (#15) - Personally this is the most iconic song of the keyboad era, as I saw it a lot on TV (the Grace Under Pressure tour's version) which played a lot in music video TV shows - at the time I was also shocked by the stage production, I had never seen anything like that! So, I alredy loved this song immensely before I even became a Rush fan.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1267 on: March 24, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
22. Manhattan Project (9).  I love everything about this song.  Rush at their most dramatic.  My Grandpa worked at NASA in nuclear propulsion in the 50's and 60's and knew many of the scientists involved with the Manhattan Project. 

21. Red Sector A (20).  I also prefer the live versions of this song to the studio version.  I know Geddy really liked doing this one live because it was a moment where he could be a keyboardist and not a bassist. 

With both these songs and others, like Territories, Distant Early Warning, Between the Wheels, and later Heresy, Neil really captured what it was like to live during the Cold War.  I don't know of any other lyricist that captured the spirit and different aspects of how the Post WWII and Cold War attitudes affected everyone quite like Neil did.  And he did it in a way that was never overtly preachy and political.  And, given the current state of global affairs, those songs are just as relevant now.  For someone who started off writing fantasy lyrics and things of that nature, he grew into an excellent chronicler of the human condition. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online HOF

« Reply #1268 on: March 24, 2022, 07:25:30 AM »
Awesome that Manhattan Project made it this high! I have it at 35, and it’s actually my lowest rated from Power Windows, but I obviously still rate it very highly overall. This, Territories, and Middle Town Dreams were all bunched up at 33-35, and they really could go in any order. One of Rush’s last really proggy songs (and albums). Love love the “riding out of the shockwaves on an August day” part. Really great, cinematic feel to this song.

Red Sector A came in at 46 for me. I don’t have any issues with the studio version. I think it sounds excactly like it’s supposed to sound - cold, fearful, grim, slightly detached yet determined, just like the subjects of the song. It’s not always an easy one to listen to, but I think it is a really great lyric from Neil and one of the more memorable Rush songs even if you don’t care for the production or whatever.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1269 on: March 24, 2022, 09:43:40 AM »
But I’m PUMPED that POWs best song made it to the top 25!!!

:panicattack:

Well...we don't know that yet, but I'm pretty sure Marathon will make it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1270 on: March 24, 2022, 09:54:18 AM »
22 Manhattan Project

Love, love, love the cinematic feel of this song.  It finished at 44 for me, and was my 7th highest ranked song from Power Windows because, hey, they couldn't all be the top rated one, but being (for me) the 7th best song from such a tremendous record is still pretty darn impressive.  :hat

Solid song.  Good, but not great melodies in the verses.  It's a little sing-songy, but they really figured it out with the string patches in that ending section.  One of three POW songs in my top 75.  I had it at #61.  Definitely was playing in my head when I snapped this shot a decade ago.

21 Red Sector A

This has been one of my favorites since I became a fan. I thought I might be the high on it, as I had it at 12, but happily that was not the case.  This is a rare case where it felt like the studio version was a letdown, but then it became a beast live.  I literally never listen to the studio version of this song (it sounds too stiff and Alex sounds like he doesn't even care when playing the solo).  The version on A Show of Hands is, for me, the definitive one.

At #21?  Really?  I thought we had dodged this bullet because it couldn't possibly be above #60 or so.  A Rush song without Geddy Lee playing bass is pretty much a waste.  I had it at #93, and it's only that high because the 21st century live versions show that it's a better song than was demonstrated on GUP.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)

2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 3 songs (Closer to the Heart - #43; A Farewell to Kings - #26; Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage - #23)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 5 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47; Losing It - #25)
Grace Under Pressure - 3 songs (The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29; Red Sector A - #21)
Power Windows - 7 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30; Territories #24; Manhattan Project - #22)
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34)
Presto - 3 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33)
Roll the Bones - 4 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32)
Counterparts - 6 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS
Clockwork Angels - 4 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27)

POW takes the lead for most songs to appear so far, and (absent what would be a more shocking result than any thus far) will clinch the top spot in that regard (since none of the other albums have more than 8 songs).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1271 on: March 24, 2022, 10:01:59 AM »
When I first got PoW, MP was definitely one of the tracks that I gravitated to quickly, but over the years I've grown tired of it and haven't listened to it in ages. Perhaps I'll need to give it a spin and see if that rekindles my initial love for the song. That said, I full agree that it is a cinematic song. But it didn't even make my top 100, although just barely at #102.

Like MP, RSA was a song that I loved from the initial listen, but I've never burned out on it. While I might prefer one or two other tracks to it, I'd probably say that RSA is the quintessential track on p/g. And yes, add me to the list of those who prefer the live versions over what is on the album. Plus the lasers and the explosions always made it a stand out moment in their live shows. I ranked it at #18. Funny thing about the imagery the lyrics always paint in my mind is that I never envisioned it as being from WWII (which I know is where they are inspired from), but rather more of a futuristic battle (like the future scenes in the original Terminator movie) - I'm guessing a combination of the title, the videos from that album and the lasers during the light show all had that effect on me. Am I the only one?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1272 on: March 24, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »
Catching up:

32. Dreamline  54
31. Middletown Dreams  107  Power Windows is either great or it's not, and this is in the "not" category.
30. The Big Money 58 This is in the great.
29. Afterimage 138  This song is sort of indicative of what's wrong with p/g in general; great idea, great promise, and, unusually for Rush, poor execution.
28. Animate  45 I'm actually not sure why this is so low; I think it's beacuse there is just so much better in the catalogue, but I love this song.
27. The Garden  60  Not a bad song, and the lyrics are very strong, but one of the more overrated songs in the catalogue for me.  I think everyone goes gaga over it because of it's place on the record (and the record's place in the catalogue) but this is not ever, for me, going to be a song I hold in any special regard.
26. A Farewell To Kings 2  Nuff said.  I LOVE this song. 
25. Losing It 12 I'm a Signals fan, to begin with, and this is one of the special songs on the record.  I particularly love how Geddy sings this song.
24. Territories  104  Baffling how this song is that high.  Baffling. 
23. Cygnus X-1  86  I wrote about this; I think this and Natural Science ought to be switched (NS is at 65). 
22. Manhattan Project 9  My highest Power Windows song; I think it helped seeing it live, but I LOVE this song.
21. Red Sector A  63  I think this is my second highest p/g song (The Enemy Within is at 48).   I like this song, especially live, but it's got the one moment that is indicative of my dislike of p/g:  that fill before "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..." is so lame; that should be an epic moment of an epic song, and the drum sound is so thin and plastic and fake and it's unworthy of the great Neil Peart and Rush.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: March 24, 2022, 10:45:15 AM »
So can I start listing those songs I had in my top 75 that didn't make it?   As I count, sixteen of my top 75 are not in the main list.    I've got five songs in the top 30 that didn't make the overall 75. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1274 on: March 24, 2022, 11:28:54 AM »
21. Red Sector A  63  I think this is my second highest p/g song (The Enemy Within is at 48).   I like this song, especially live, but it's got the one moment that is indicative of my dislike of p/g:  that fill before "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..." is so lame; that should be an epic moment of an epic song, and the drum sound is so thin and plastic and fake and it's unworthy of the great Neil Peart and Rush.

Yup.  Territories epitomizes all that is bad about that era of the band, and RSA does the same for GUP.  I'm actually surprised you have it as high as 63.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: March 24, 2022, 12:45:26 PM »
I never envisioned it as being from WWII (which I know is where they are inspired from), but rather more of a futuristic battle (like the future scenes in the original Terminator movie) - I'm guessing a combination of the title, the videos from that album and the lasers during the light show all had that effect on me. Am I the only one?

You are not the only one.  I know the story/stories, I know what Neil has said, but I struggled with the WWII reference too (I always sort of reconciled it by saying - to myself - that Neil went less literally out of respect for Geddy).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: March 24, 2022, 12:52:22 PM »
At the risk of incurring Kev's wrath (and I don't want to, since I think he's doing a PHENOMENAL job with this; I'm having so much fun here), I'm going to note one song that I had pretty high and didn't make the list at all:

The Way The Wind Blows.   

I had it at 20 (I had six songs from Snakes and Arrows in my top 75).  I'm still enamored with the documentary, where Neil was talking about the physicality of playing the drums like he does, and his approach to composing his parts.  He speaks to having four different approaches behind each verse, and puts down his track.  Then you see Nick agonizing because he feels it's missing something, an energy, and Nick tells Neil "can you do one more?".  Neil is like "WTF", then though he's not happy, he is a team player and then goes in and NAILS a completely new take of the song, and you can see the rest of the band literally grooving to what he's playing.  I think that's one of my favorite stories about any band ever, and shows what kind of people the guys in Rush are.   The art comes first, but not at the expense (as too many artists do) of respect and friendship between the bandmembers. 

Knowing how it was created is powerful to me, and makes the song special to me.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 01:04:44 PM by Stadler »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1277 on: March 24, 2022, 01:08:37 PM »
I never envisioned it as being from WWII (which I know is where they are inspired from), but rather more of a futuristic battle (like the future scenes in the original Terminator movie) - I'm guessing a combination of the title, the videos from that album and the lasers during the light show all had that effect on me. Am I the only one?

You are not the only one.  I know the story/stories, I know what Neil has said, but I struggled with the WWII reference too (I always sort of reconciled it by saying - to myself - that Neil went less literally out of respect for Geddy).

When I was a kid, I always had a mental image of WWII combined with the movie Red Dawn when watching the live version from A Show of Hands.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1278 on: March 24, 2022, 01:55:02 PM »

Interesting takes.  I had never even conceived of this being anything other than a story told from the perspective of someone in a Nazi concentration camp.  This is also why I sort of scratched my head at the comment earlier about RSA and Manhattan Project having anything to do with the Cold War.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: March 24, 2022, 02:10:21 PM »
Another one I've ranked the highest.   :metal

God damn, Power Windows.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1280 on: March 24, 2022, 02:41:22 PM »

God damn, Power Windows.  :censored
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: March 24, 2022, 02:43:41 PM »

:lol  Right on cue.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1282 on: March 24, 2022, 02:53:04 PM »
22 Manhattan Project

21 Red Sector A

I had Manhatten Project at #32. This and Marathon really were impressive when I saw them on the HYF tour, as well as the Show Of Hands album. Even though I saw the Power Windows tour, I did not know the songs real well and really didn't care to. The animations were really impressive as the band played it live. I love the musical break, filled with tension.

I had Red Sector A at #30. If you had told me in 1984 that I would rate this song this high many years later as an adult, young TAC would've said to go screw. This song has aged really well for me. It has a driving beat to it that really pulls me in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: March 24, 2022, 03:03:18 PM »

:lol  Right on cue.

Where's his Batman signal? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1284 on: March 24, 2022, 03:21:56 PM »

22 Manhattan Project

21 Red Sector A

Manhattan Project - my rank 67. Unlike Territories, I can concede the love for this one. Not my favourite from PW though and also looks like we are getting the whole album in the top 75?

Red Sector A - my rank 15. A definite highlight from this era for me. Just a great song, driving beat and I really enjoy the vocals and melodies and love the use of the keyboards/synths. A really powerful tune.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1285 on: March 24, 2022, 05:48:44 PM »
Manhattan Project (ranked #22)

Nailed it!  :biggrin: My third favorite from Power Windows. Fantastic song. If I remember correctly, in my pretty erratic discovery of Rush's back catalog (after my first taste when Counterparts was released), Power Windows came after 2112 and Fly By Night (told you it was erratic). So, well, that was a different-sounding Rush  ;D. In particular, I recall the first verse of Manhattan Project, with the lower key vocals and the sparse accompaniment, being VERY different from the Rush I had experienced up to that point. I love how the song builds, with each verse and chorus, with Neil's incredible drumming. Epic stuff.

Red Sector A (ranked #20)

Almost nailed it! First time I heard this song was actually via the Show of Hands VHS. Loved it, even though it was different from anything else I'd heard from Rush (even within the keyboard-heavy era). When I finally got to buy p/g, I remember I didn't enjoy the studio version quite as much. In time, I've come to appreciate it more and more, though. It has a coldness to its sound and yet it manages to sound epic. As for the song itself, it's an amazing one.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1286 on: March 24, 2022, 05:55:48 PM »
With 20 songs to go, here's the temporary aggregate album ranking:

1   Power Windows   287
2   Signals   138
3   A Farewell to Kings   136
4   Clockwork Angels   134
5   Grace Under Pressure   129
6   Counterparts   128
7   Hold Your Fire   107
8   Roll the Bones   104
9   Fly By Night   84
10   Moving Pictures   62
11   Presto   62
12   Permanent Waves   42
13   2112   31
14   Hemispheres   31
15   Caress of Steel   26
16   Rush   20
17   Test for Echo   19
18   Vapor Trails   0
19   Snake and Arrows   0

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: March 24, 2022, 06:00:13 PM »
Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves will climb very fast here.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1288 on: March 24, 2022, 06:07:03 PM »
Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves will climb very fast here.

Yep - Hemispheres too, but with the handicap of having the smallest number of songs among all...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1289 on: March 24, 2022, 06:42:12 PM »

Like MP, RSA was a song that I loved from the initial listen, but I've never burned out on it. While I might prefer one or two other tracks to it, I'd probably say that RSA is the quintessential track on p/g. And yes, add me to the list of those who prefer the live versions over what is on the album. Plus the lasers and the explosions always made it a stand out moment in their live shows. I ranked it at #18. Funny thing about the imagery the lyrics always paint in my mind is that I never envisioned it as being from WWII (which I know is where they are inspired from), but rather more of a futuristic battle (like the future scenes in the original Terminator movie) - I'm guessing a combination of the title, the videos from that album and the lasers during the light show all had that effect on me. Am I the only one?

I get what you mean.  The name of the song always stood out to me as being pretty unique, and given the lyrical nature of the song, it just has a certain feel and vibe, one they managed to capture musically as well.  It's the perfect marriage of music and lyrics.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

So can I start listing those songs I had in my top 75 that didn't make it?   As I count, sixteen of my top 75 are not in the main list.    I've got five songs in the top 30 that didn't make the overall 75.

How can you know that when you haven't seen 20-1 yet? ;)

At the risk of incurring Kev's wrath (and I don't want to, since I think he's doing a PHENOMENAL job with this; I'm having so much fun here), I'm going to note one song that I had pretty high and didn't make the list at all:

The Way The Wind Blows.   

I had it at 20 (I had six songs from Snakes and Arrows in my top 75).  I'm still enamored with the documentary, where Neil was talking about the physicality of playing the drums like he does, and his approach to composing his parts.  He speaks to having four different approaches behind each verse, and puts down his track.  Then you see Nick agonizing because he feels it's missing something, an energy, and Nick tells Neil "can you do one more?".  Neil is like "WTF", then though he's not happy, he is a team player and then goes in and NAILS a completely new take of the song, and you can see the rest of the band literally grooving to what he's playing.  I think that's one of my favorite stories about any band ever, and shows what kind of people the guys in Rush are.   The art comes first, but not at the expense (as too many artists do) of respect and friendship between the bandmembers. 

Knowing how it was created is powerful to me, and makes the song special to me.

No worries.  It was official a while back that nothing from Snakes and Arrows made the top 75, so songs from that are fair game for chatter. I would just prefer that a lot of chatter about songs likely to still be featured be kept to a low roar until I feature them. :)

As for The Way the Wind Blows, I do like that song quite a bit, but it feels like one where the mix of S&A let it down.  My beef with that record is that when it rocks, it has no balls. There is no oomph, no ass kick, so the rocking parts of this song fall a bit flat.  The mellow parts of it sound terrific.  And I guess that's why the more laid back songs tend to my favorites from this record now.  I need to revisit the live version of this song to see if that one is a little better.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1290 on: March 24, 2022, 06:52:32 PM »

1   Power Windows   287
2   Signals   138
6   Counterparts   128
7   Hold Your Fire   107
8   Roll the Bones   104
9   Fly By Night   84
11   Presto   62
13   2112   31
14   Hemispheres   31
16   Rush   20
17   Test for Echo   19
18   Vapor Trails   0

I love the fact that power windows is not just number one, but is handedly beating number two by a 100% margin. It’s not even close. It’s like looking at Wayne Gretzky’s name on the all time assist leaders….and Power Windows lead is even bigger than that!

My update is coming soon. I was at a building official convention for a couple of days and I’m still recovering from a cold
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1291 on: March 24, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »
22 Manhattan Project

21 Red Sector A

Manhattan Project - This came in at #38. It's a great song, with great lyrical imagery. Powerful song.

Red Sector A - This landed at #59. First off, I'm not sure how you get anything out of the lyrics other than from the perspective of a Nazi concentration camp, but :dunno: At any rate this song is only let down a little by Geddy not playing bass on it. However, I do like the drums samples. Yes, they are very '80s sounding, but that was the cost of being cutting edge at the time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online nick_z

« Reply #1292 on: March 24, 2022, 06:56:10 PM »

How can you know that when you haven't seen 20-1 yet? ;)

I think Stadler is referring to the songs in his ranking from the albums we already know are locked out.

When I look at mine, I have 15 of my top 75 that didn't (and won't) make it. But they are all ranked #41 or worse...

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1293 on: March 24, 2022, 07:04:26 PM »

1   Power Windows   287
2   Signals   138
6   Counterparts   128
7   Hold Your Fire   107
8   Roll the Bones   104
9   Fly By Night   84
11   Presto   62
13   2112   31
14   Hemispheres   31
16   Rush   20
17   Test for Echo   19
18   Vapor Trails   0

I love the fact that power windows is not just number one, but is handedly beating number two by a 100% margin. It’s not even close. It’s like looking at Wayne Gretzky’s name on the all time assist leaders….and Power Windows lead is even bigger than that!

Yeah, but unlike Wayne Gretzky, I don't think that substantial lead is going to last.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: March 24, 2022, 07:06:15 PM »
Sorry The Realm.  We all know Marathon will be #1.