Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 51482 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #980 on: March 15, 2022, 06:44:34 PM »
Also, TAC’s opinions here aren’t opinions, but objectively wrong.

Oh, I'll vouch for that. :lol

I couldn't second this fast enough. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Realm

« Reply #981 on: March 15, 2022, 06:52:16 PM »

41 Bravado
Appeared on 17 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (HOF)

40 Leave That Thing Alone
Appeared on 16 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 11 (KevShmev)

Bravado - I didn't rank. Nice enough song I guess if you like this sort of thing. The solo is great. I can appreciate the love for this one.

Leave That Thing Alone - I didn't rank. Another Counterparts song? I feel like this whole album is being represented and it is one I very rarely if ever revisit! This is a pretty cool instrumental, so again I can appreciate the love for this one.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #982 on: March 15, 2022, 07:10:53 PM »
41 Bravado (#46) – Yes, it’s all about great melodies. Also the guitar solo and the drumming before the fadeout are really nice. But that ending on Different Stages version is really gold.

40 Leave That Thing Alone (#38) – I think it was really a different instrumental for them at the time, focused on a great groove and very melodic guitar lines. When I first heard it, it reminded me of Joe Satriani in parts.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #983 on: March 15, 2022, 07:29:08 PM »
43 Closer to the Heart
Appeared on 19 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 16 (kingshmegland)

Early results were not kind to this classic, but a lot of the later submitted lists were, so it managed to climb up to 43.  I had it 28.  It feels like it's one that is easy to overlook, but it really is a fantastic song.

42 Caravan
Highest Ranking: 11 (ReaperKK)

I had this at 65 and wasn't sure it would make it, so was shocked to see it a) finish this high, and b) finish ahead of Headlong Flight.
Closer to the Heart - This probably should have ranked higher, maybe....but it did land at #87. So while technically not in the top 75 for me, I do really like the song, great lyrics and melodies, and my opinion of it went up a lot after hearing the awesome jam at the end of the Different Stages version.

Caravan - This shot up my list and I was a bit surprised how high it landed at #22. This ranking it based purely on the EP version that was released before the album. The album version was sort of ruined by some questionable changes to vocal melodies and the album mix/master.

41 Bravado

I had this at 31. Definitely a song that helped win me over as a new fan in the fall of '91.  Crazy good melodies.

I normally call this a top 10 Rush song, but it settled it at 11 for me this time.  Instrumental goodness all-around, and Alex guitar literally sings in this one.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Bravado - Boy TAC couldn't be more objectively wrong about a song :biggrin: This one ended up at #36 on my list. The mix of the melodies with the moving lyrics, not to mention the incredible drum patterns that Neil is laying down, this song is outstanding.

Leave That Thing Alone - Instrumentals don't typically rank that highly for me, which is why this one only landed at #67. However, this is a Rush instrumental and between the great guitar melodies matched perfectly with Geddy's bass and the incredibly musical drumming of Neil, it ends up being a great song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #984 on: March 15, 2022, 07:31:28 PM »
You know that a mark of a great song is if TAC hates it with a special passion. Bravado has been a favorite Rush tune since the first time I heard it. On an album full of weird lyrics, Neil still managed to pen a masterpiece. Maybe it took all of his energy to put that one together (along with Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance). Anyway, this might be the best U2 song U2 never wrote. Definitely has some Eno-ish vibes with the airy keyboards and the high hat pattern is very Larry Mullen Jr. It’s in the perfect range for Geddy’s voice, has a lovely bass line, an emotional Alex solo, and generally just hits all the right notes. Chef kiss.

I’m pumped that Leave That Thing Alone ranked. I only had it at 66, but it’s my favorite Rush instrumental (and the only one on my list!). Something about Rush instrumentals in general just doesn’t resonate with me, but this one has a strong hook, that killer bass line, and that awesome Lifeson solo that propels the song to another level.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #985 on: March 15, 2022, 07:40:44 PM »
You know that a mark of a great song is if TAC hates it with a special passion.

I gotta sig that! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #986 on: March 15, 2022, 07:49:52 PM »

:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online HOF

« Reply #987 on: March 15, 2022, 07:51:26 PM »

:lol :rollin :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #988 on: March 15, 2022, 08:44:28 PM »
Another chunk to reply to here, so let's go!

50 Force Ten - ranked 96th. It's a fun tune, but I think for me, I got a bit over it after awhile.
49 The Enemy Within - ranked 48th. Wow, surprisingly close to my ranking here! Underrated tuned from GUP.
48 The Weapon - ranked 13th. I didn't realize this was so high on my list (and the highest Signals tune), but it is one of my favorites from the album. I would've put "Subdivisions" higher had I edited my sorted list.
47 Digital Man - ranked 14th. Coincidence that these were back to back on MY list as well. Another stand-out track on Signals, loved that the band brought it back in the 21st century.
46 Headlong Flight - ranked 44th. Another one closely ranked to my list, one of my favorites from Clockwork Angels.
45 Circumstances - ranked 102nd. My least favorite from Hemispheres, but still a rocking song. Another one I'm glad the band brought back for their latter tours.
44 Mission - ranked 33rd. A bit lower here than my own list, and probably my favorite song from HYF (and I think my highest rated HYF song on my list).
43 Closer To The Heart - ranked 35th. A classic Rush tune, what else can you say about it. One of their best hits, IMO.
42 Caravan - ranked 49th.  Another favorite of mine from CA, I enjoyed it the moment I got my hands on the single in 2010 and think it's one of their best album openers (definitely my favorite album opener since maybe "Animate").
41 Bravado - ranked 16th. I think this ended up so high on my list because I love the song in its live version with the extended jam and guitar solo. The studio version is nice, but live is where they took the song to new heights, and I absolutely love what Neil does on the kit on this one, such a unique and fun groove.
40 Leave That Thing Alone - ranked 36th. Probably my second or third favorite Rush instrumental, this is a blast to play on drums, and was a tour highlight through the 90s and 00s, especially with Neil's solo following it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #989 on: March 15, 2022, 08:46:04 PM »
and I absolutely love what Neil does on the kit on this one,

Literally describes every Rush song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #990 on: March 15, 2022, 08:54:37 PM »

Yeah, he really crushes it on the debut album, doesn't he?

Offline The Realm

« Reply #991 on: March 15, 2022, 08:55:47 PM »

Ha! I love this! Not sure we have seen anyone post yet that a song missed their top 75 because they didn't like the drumming on the track...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #992 on: March 15, 2022, 09:11:12 PM »

That's how good he is. :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #993 on: March 15, 2022, 09:41:46 PM »

In all seriousness, his versions of the debut album's songs on their first tour in 74 are brilliant, if a bit overzealous and out-there, but he pumps a LOT of energy into those rockers. If you've never heard the 12/16/74 Cleveland, OH show (usually titled "Here Again At The Agora"), it's an immaculate FM broadcast of a complete Rush concert, and they play 6 songs off the debut, plus four songs off what would be their next album Fly By Night, plus "Fancy Dancer", "Garden Road", and "Bad Boy". It's quite fortunate that such pristine recordings of their first tour exist!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #994 on: March 15, 2022, 10:19:14 PM »
4 of my top 10 have already been revealed, and I guess not surprisingly I've been the high person on all of them.

3. Emotion Detector (66)
6. Bravado (41)
9. Digital Man (47)
10. Force Ten (50)

I'm guessing I'll be the high person on at least one, and maybe two or three of the others. Just the way I roll (but not the bones, that one was 41 on my list).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #995 on: March 15, 2022, 11:00:48 PM »
41 Bravado

I had this at 31. Definitely a song that helped win me over as a new fan in the fall of '91.  Crazy good melodies.

This song is just so...meh.  It completely exemplifies Roll the Bones.  Came it at #94 for me.

I normally call this a top 10 Rush song, but it settled it at 11 for me this time.  Instrumental goodness all-around, and Alex guitar literally sings in this one.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

This one really surprises me.  Not because I don't like it, but #40 seems CRAZY high.  I had it at #126 (and the other "Thing" at 127).  They really lost their way with instrumentals after YYZ until TMMB.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 1 song (Fly by Night - #70)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 1 song (Vital Signs - #51)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 4 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 3 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41)
Counterparts - 5 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 3 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42)

Counterparts retakes the lead with 5 songs out of the 36 that have been revealed, followed by Signals and Hold Your Fire with four songs each.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #996 on: March 15, 2022, 11:01:38 PM »

Ha! I love this! Not sure we have seen anyone post yet that a song missed their top 75 because they didn't like the drumming on the track...

We haven't gotten to Red Sector A yet (and hopefully won't).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #997 on: March 15, 2022, 11:17:14 PM »

Absolute truth here!

In fairness Neil did end up playing drums to all the songs from the debut album live, with the exception of Take A Friend. And he definitely elevated them to another level!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #998 on: March 15, 2022, 11:19:13 PM »

Is this just because of the drum sounds on that song?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: March 16, 2022, 12:28:54 AM »
That main melody in LTTA is absolutely incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1000 on: March 16, 2022, 01:50:34 AM »
I thought I would be the one who put Bravado highest on the list (#10). It's just my type of song, emotional with great melodies. And TAC, The Pass is even better  :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1001 on: March 16, 2022, 01:52:44 AM »
Yes! Leave That Thing Alone is such a great song, happy it made the list. I had it at 13 so it's nice to see that Kev had it even higher. Such a great rocking tune

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1002 on: March 16, 2022, 06:26:37 AM »
Get ready for some really old tunes today!

39 Witch Hunt
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 2 (Setlist Scotty)

The highest ranked song from the Fear trilogy!  Great, great song, one I put at 26.  The atmosphere in this one is pretty incredible, and Neil penned some terrific lyrics in this one.

38 By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Appeared on 15 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 5 (Dream Team)

Not surprised to see this one all over the map, as it seems to be a love or not like so much song amongst the younger fans (meanwhile, nearly every Rush fan I have known who was a fan since the 70s or early 80s considers this a top 10 Rush tune).  I am a big fan, placing it at 22.  The jam in the middle is incredible.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1003 on: March 16, 2022, 06:38:36 AM »

This one really surprises me.  Not because I don't like it, but #40 seems CRAZY high.  I had it at #126 (and the other "Thing" at 127).  They really lost their way with instrumentals after YYZ until TMMB.

I agree and disagree at the same time - Where's my Thing is kinda fun but certainly not essential, and Limbo is just ok, but I'll take Leave That Thing Alone over TMMB every single time.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: March 16, 2022, 06:48:57 AM »
43 Closer to the Heart
Highest Ranking: 16 (kingshmegland)

Early results were not kind to this classic, but a lot of the later submitted lists were, so it managed to climb up to 43.  I had it 28.  It feels like it's one that is easy to overlook, but it really is a fantastic song.

42 Caravan
Highest Ranking: 11 (ReaperKK)

I had this at 65 and wasn't sure it would make it, so was shocked to see it a) finish this high, and b) finish ahead of Headlong Flight.

I really love these two songs. I think that Closer to the Heart suffers a bit from too much overplay for me; Caravan I've loved since the first time I heard it. That chorus melody is fantastic.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2022, 06:58:40 AM »
41. Bravado (47).  "We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost" is one of my favorite Neil lyrics.  I like the simplicity of this song, and I like that they stretch this out a little bit live.  I kinda wish they had stretched it out live even more.  I get the feeling Alex could've really done some cool stuff on an extended live ending.

40. Leave That Thing Alone (53).  Fun instrumental, and probably my favorite of their 90s/00s instrumental tracks.

39. Witch Hunt (18).  My second favorite part of the Fear trilogy (I put Freeze a few spots higher), I've always loved the double tracked drums on this.  Getting to see it live on the Snakes & Arrows tour was really cool, as well.

38. By-Tor and the Snow Dog (35).  My favorite track from Fly By Night and a great precursor to what they would go on to do later in the decade.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2022, 07:45:56 AM »

39 Witch Hunt

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Witch Hunt nabbed my number 50, the highest ranked of the Fear trilogy+. I find this quote really appropriate though, as for ages this was a song I couldn’t really get into. Took me forever to finally get it to click, and it’s my lowest Moving Pictures ranking, but I really like this song now.

By-Tor arrived at number 56. If we were going with the abridged live versions, I think it would be higher. However, I stayed to the album versions for the rankings and the 5/4 War Hymn onwards never really did much for me.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1007 on: March 16, 2022, 07:53:35 AM »

39 Witch Hunt

The highest ranked song from the Fear trilogy!  Great, great song, one I put at 26.  The atmosphere in this one is pretty incredible, and Neil penned some terrific lyrics in this one.

Not surprised to see this one all over the map, as it seems to be a love or not like so much song amongst the younger fans (meanwhile, nearly every Rush fan I have known who was a fan since the 70s or early 80s considers this a top 10 Rush tune).  I am a big fan, placing it at 22.  The jam in the middle is incredible.

Witch Hunt (ranked #63)

It's my lowest-ranked song from Moving Pictures, but it's still great. Really cool riff, and when it "opens up" with the synths it's pretty amazing.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog (didn't make top 75, I had it at #77)

JUST missed the top 75, unfortunately (along with Anthem, another close one from Fly By Night that I was sad to exclude). I don't love it, but it's packed with a bunch of very "Rush" things in it, and Neil is on fire...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1008 on: March 16, 2022, 07:59:29 AM »
39 Witch Hunt

I had Witch Hunt at #26. Same as Kev! ;D
I think this is one of their most unique songs in their catalog. Those over arching keyboards coupled with the haunting and brooding guitar line make this very interesting . Love this song!

I had By-Tor as Not Rated. I don't know. I really should like it more than I do, but I have always found this a chore to get through.

Online HOF

« Reply #1009 on: March 16, 2022, 09:17:22 AM »
Have never been able to “get” Witch Hunt. That and Vital Signs tend to bring MP down quite a bit for me. Needless to say, this one didn’t rank for me.

By-Tor & the Snowdog made it on at 73. This one is a lot of fun, and I love the verse and chorus. But I do think the spacey middle section hurts it a bit. Rush’s epic songs always seem to have one section that just kills momentum and adds unnecessary length.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1010 on: March 16, 2022, 10:25:35 AM »
39 Witch Hunt

I'm surprised by the rankings of both of today's songs.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see Witch Hunt this high.  I really like the song and had it at #47, but I was a little concerned that we were getting to the point where it might not be ranked at all.  There's nothing about this song that isn't really cool, and I think we can now confidently conclude that Moving Pictures is one of the albums that will have 100% representation in the top 75.

This one I'm surprised it's not higher.  It just missed out on my top 10:  I had it at #11.  It's such an epic.  The album version is awesome, but the ATWAS version takes it to the next level, and the ESL video version adds yet another layer.  I can recall buying Fly by Night and seeing Geddy with the "By-Tor" pseudonym and Alex as "Snow Dog" (with their freshly shampooed and conditioned hair, in stark contrast to the greasy mess on the back of the debut  :lol) and wondering what it all meant.  I got a later pressing that didn't have the lyrics on the inner sleeve, but I later found a used version with the original inner sleeve, which I still have today.  Discovering that By-Tor was not only broken into sections but also had a section with sub-sections blew my mind as a 16 or 17 year old.  I felt very satisfied when I later figured out what "7/4 War Furor" meant.  I'm guessing we'll see one more song from FBN.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 2 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 4 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 3 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41)
Counterparts - 5 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 3 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1011 on: March 16, 2022, 10:36:09 AM »

Is this just because of the drum sounds on that song?

That's a big part of it, but I also think that GUP, as a whole, features some of Neil's least interesting drumming.  The only things that really stand out for me are things that aren't good.

I agree and disagree at the same time - Where's my Thing is kinda fun but certainly not essential, and Limbo is just ok, but I'll take Leave That Thing Alone over TMMB every single time.

Fair enough.  I have a block with distinguishing the "Things" (unless I've just listened to them back-to-back).  LTTA kinda gets going after about 1:10, but the intro section (which they return to for the last minute of the song) is SO SOFT AND WIMPY that it really drags down the song.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1012 on: March 16, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
39 Witch Hunt (-) - Really good song, very interesting arrangement, but, like Vital Signs, unfortunately didn't manage to make the Top 75.

38 By-Tor and the Snow Dog (#29) - One of my favorites from early Rush. Although there's a lot of resemblance between the riff from Bastille Day and Headlong Flight, when I listen to HF I always feel more similarity with By-Tor because of that jam part.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1013 on: March 16, 2022, 12:34:32 PM »
Always liked Bravado - a mid-tempo tune that always stood out to me, in comparison to tracks on later albums (Speed of Love, Half the World, Color of Right, etc.) In particular I was glad to see them extend this one and Dreamline beginning on the RtB tour, and continued doing so whenever they appeared in the setlist. #60 for me.

For me LTTA has always been one of the better Rush instrumentals. I know this is gonna be extremely controversial, but I actually prefer it to YYZ. I think I just got tired of YYZ after a while - never felt that way about LTTA. And am I the only one who feels there is a connection between LTTA and Where’s My Thing? I’m not just speaking about “Thing” being in the title of both, but I’ve always thought this. Coulda been part III of the Gangster of Boats Trilogy, IMO. Anyhoo, it placed as #15 on my list.

Regarding WH, the fact that I ranked it highest says a lot right there. It has been my second favorite of theirs for well over 35 years. I just love the atmosphere at the beginning and then as nick_z says, when the song opens up with the synths, WOW!! In particular I like the little “extra” Alex plays during the second verse live as can be heard on ASOH and Time Machine (and *not* heard on SaA Live) - dunno how to better describe it as I'm not a musician. So happy they brought this back and I got to see them perform this song a few times.

BTatSD was a track that grew on me. When I first got FBN, I don’t remember it doing all that much for me, especially with those weird sounds. But when I heard the live version on AtWaS, that’s when I came to really love it. In fact, I remember going back to listen to the studio version and being bummed out that it didn’t have everything that the live version did. And I was thrilled to finally get to see them perform it live (well, the first half of it) when they resurrected it for the Vapor Trails tour - what a killer way to start off the encore! I ended up ranking it at #22.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2022, 12:51:49 PM »
For me LTTA has always been one of the better Rush instrumentals. I know this is gonna be extremely controversial, but I actually prefer it to YYZ.

Great minds...and all that  :biggrin:

Leave That Thing Alone (ranked #21)

One word: fantastic. I rank this one even higher than YYZ. The way the bass and the drums are interlocked for the groove, with the eerie guitar playing supporting role at  first, then taking center stage, with riffs and leads. Sublime.

I actually haven't grown tired of YYZ, and I think it's amazing too...but LTTA is just special to me, and my favorite of the "shorter" Rush instrumentals (i.e., excluding THAT one, of course  ;D)