Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52387 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #945 on: March 14, 2022, 05:36:49 PM »
Circumstances (ranked #56)

Great song. So many cool things happening in its short runtime. Love that pre-chorus brief riff - feels like it's the kind of pattern that's been borrowed by a ton of prog-metal bands since. Other highlights: the quiet interlude, followed by Alex doing his "thing" even without a solo...

Mission (ranked #46)

Ranking this pretty much in line with the aggregate. This one, what a fantastic song too. The bass almost "carrying" the melody in the verse, the progression under "A spirit with a vision is a dream..." (sure sounds like Dream Theater love it too), the section between 2:48 and 3:05, the "grand finale"...again, great song.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #946 on: March 14, 2022, 05:40:14 PM »
45 Circumstances
Appeared on 16 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 9 (Cool Chris)

This one was unranked for me, as it is another I like, but do not love.  I know the story behind Geddy's vocals on this album, but it just feels  like the chorus just doesn't land right as a result.

44 Mission
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 7 (KevShmev)

Yeah!  I finally am the high on one of these!! I was a bit dismayed to see this left off nearly 1/3 of the lists, but oh well.  I will swear by this song to my last gasp.
Circumstances - I'll echo the above. It's a good song, but landed a bit outside my top 75 at #93. It does pale quite a bit compared to the other 3 songs on the album.

Mission - This was another I thought I might have gotten the top spot, but I guess Kev loves this song way more than I do, I only had it at #24 :P Either way it's a fantastic song with great lyrics/vocals, awesome atmosphere, and an epic guitar solo that should never have been faded out...Let Alex go for another minute or so!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Realm

« Reply #947 on: March 14, 2022, 05:42:58 PM »

45 Circumstances

44 Mission

Circumstances - 27 for me. Love this song. A really interesting song musically, kind of feels at times like guitar, bass and drums are all playing a different song but it comes together. I also like the vocals, I know others don't like this style of singing from Geddy but it works for me.

Mission - unranked by me. Sorry, not much of a fan of this one. Maybe I need to give it another listen.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #948 on: March 14, 2022, 05:51:36 PM »
45 Circumstances

This one was unranked for me, as it is another I like, but do not love.  I know the story behind Geddy's vocals on this album, but it just feels  like the chorus just doesn't land right as a result.

I dig both of today's songs!  I had Circumstances at #26.  It's such a banger in a small package.  Geddy's playing during the verses is absolutely off the charts and blends perfectly with Alex's riffing.  I was super happy when I figured out the pre-chorus riff on my own, but I could never do justice to the bass in the verses.  The middle section with the alternating 5/8 and 6/8 pattern on synth, guitar and glockenspiel is super unique.  I also have to give this song the award for best use of a French idiom in a rock song!

44 Mission

Yeah!  I finally am the high on one of these!! I was a bit dismayed to see this left off nearly 1/3 of the lists, but oh well.  I will swear by this song to my last gasp.

Mission is the only HYF song in my top 75.  Time Stand Still was second at #86.  Ironically, it took a cover version (the Working Man tribute version by three guys I've never heard of) for me really to appreciate the song.  The middle instrumental section in 5/4 is sublime, and the ensuing vocal section ("It's cold comfort...") is incredibly executed by Geddy.  I ranked the song at #41, so I'm pretty close to the aggregate.  Is this the highest ranked HYF song or is there another still to come?

Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 1 song (Fly by Night - #70)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings -
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 1 song (Vital Signs - #51)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 4 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 2 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52)
Counterparts - 4 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 2 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46)

AFTK is now the only album yet to be heard from.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #949 on: March 14, 2022, 06:11:31 PM »
45 Circumstances

44 Mission

I had Circumstances at #46, so pretty close to its result. It's Hemispheres forgotten song, honestly. It does for Hemispheres what Entre Nous does for Permanent Waves, but better.

I had Mission as Not Ranked. It's a harmless enough song, even nice. But it's not something I ever look to listen to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #950 on: March 14, 2022, 06:16:56 PM »

45 Circumstances

44 Mission

My number 58 and 59 respectively!

Circumstances starts as a run of the mill rocker, but with the chorus being one of the few times Geddy is multilingual in a song and the melodic “carnival” sounding instrumental, this really takes on a life of its own. The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

Mission, I’ve just always found to be super beautiful. While it can fluctuate over wether or not I think this is the best song on the album (which I kinda do, I wish I’d traded this to my 57 and had Prime Mover in 59th now), this has one of my absolute favourite instrumental moments of the entire Rush catalogue after the first solo. The bass and xylophone unison run at 3:23 stands as an absolutely amazing moment, and I rarely hear anyone talk about it.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #951 on: March 14, 2022, 06:52:24 PM »

Mission, I’ve just always found to be super beautiful. While it can fluctuate over wether or not I think this is the best song on the album (which I kinda do, I wish I’d traded this to my 57 and had Prime Mover in 59th now), this has one of my absolute favourite instrumental moments of the entire Rush catalogue after the first solo. The bass and xylophone unison run at 3:23 stands as an absolutely amazing moment, and I rarely hear anyone talk about it.

Yes, that part is excellent as the resolution of the instrumental section that comes after it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #952 on: March 14, 2022, 06:53:06 PM »
45. Circumstances (52).  A bit under appreciated considering the other songs on the album, I personally really like it.  I was super glad they dusted it off for the Snakes and Arrows tour.  Definitely a nice, “oh shit!! They’re playing that!!” Moment.

44. Mission (N/A).  Double checked my list, and I can’t believe I didn’t rank this one.  I think it ended up at like 77.  I think it’s a great example of Rush’s skills as arrangers, and I really like the twists and turns of its middle section. I think, if I redid my list, this would make it. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #953 on: March 14, 2022, 07:00:05 PM »
Mission was at 27 for me. I love this lyric, especially the “if their lives were exotic and strange” passage. This is a just one of those songs that hits you in the feels. Really cool middle instrumental section, awesome solo on the outro. Just a great song.

Circumstances is a song that I kind of forget about unless I’m listening to Hemispheres, which to be honest I haven’t revisited in a while. It didn’t make my list, though I don’t dislike it. Just doesn’t really register with me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #954 on: March 14, 2022, 09:39:11 PM »
I don’t have my list with me but Mission is high.   I love that song, and that’s the song - along with Second Nature - that makes me want to hear HYF acoustically. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #955 on: March 14, 2022, 10:15:36 PM »
Circumstances is a good song, although I agree with all those who pointed out that it's the least best compared to the rest of the album. I am glad that they pulled it out of the mothballs for the 2007 tour. IMO, the way they did it was the right way. There's no way Geddy was gonna come near to hitting those high notes, so they tuned down and changed the vocal melody to something Geddy was able to do comfortably and still be enjoyable for the audience. DT should take notes.... Anyhoo, Circumstances didn't make my top 75, but not missing by much as it place #84 for me.

Mission is a nice song as Timmy said. Not one that I'll go back and listen to regularly, but it is inspirational. Just barely made the cut at #74 on my list.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: March 14, 2022, 10:18:49 PM »
45 Circumstances

What's the story?

I love Rush's longer songs, as will be shown by my Top 10, but love how concise and packed Circumstances is. It's like a roller coaster ride: it feels longer than it is while riding, and when it is over, you are surprised it was so quick, and you want to get right back on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

« Reply #957 on: March 14, 2022, 10:28:08 PM »
45 Circumstances

What's the story?

I love Rush's longer songs, as will be shown by my Top 10, but love how concise and packed Circumstances is. It's like a roller coaster ride: it feels longer than it is while riding, and when it is over, you are surprised it was so quick, and you want to get right back on.

What I think he's referring to is that they wrote the music without regard for the key or whether or not Geddy could hit some of the notes. He really had to reach for some of those passages as a result.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/26)
« Reply #958 on: March 15, 2022, 06:12:46 AM »
Seven lists submitted already, and I have to say I am stunned at how poorly a classic from what most consider their peak era is doing so far.

One of today's featured songs was the one I was referring to when I said the above...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #959 on: March 15, 2022, 06:14:33 AM »
43 Closer to the Heart
Appeared on 19 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 16 (kingshmegland)

Early results were not kind to this classic, but a lot of the later submitted lists were, so it managed to climb up to 43.  I had it 28.  It feels like it's one that is easy to overlook, but it really is a fantastic song.

42 Caravan
Highest Ranking: 11 (ReaperKK)

I had this at 65 and wasn't sure it would make it, so was shocked to see it a) finish this high, and b) finish ahead of Headlong Flight.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #960 on: March 15, 2022, 07:00:58 AM »
43. Closer to the Heart (N/A). Just missed the cut for me.  Good song but there's so much I like more.
42. Caravan (32).  Great song, and a really strong opener for Rush's final album.  The middle section really feels like a band solo.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline nick_z

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/26)
« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2022, 07:33:58 AM »
Seven lists submitted already, and I have to say I am stunned at how poorly a classic from what most consider their peak era is doing so far.

One of today's featured songs was the one I was referring to when I said the above...

Ha! Mystery solved!  :biggrin:

43 Closer to the Heart

Early results were not kind to this classic, but a lot of the later submitted lists were, so it managed to climb up to 43.  I had it 28.  It feels like it's one that is easy to overlook, but it really is a fantastic song.

42 Caravan

I had this at 65 and wasn't sure it would make it, so was shocked to see it a) finish this high, and b) finish ahead of Headlong Flight.

Closer to the Heart (ranked #68)

It is a very pretty song, and it sure has that "timeless" feel, with a great build-up. I enjoy it in the context of the album, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it.

Caravan (ranked #45)

Another one where I'm more or less in line with the aggregate. So, yes, count me in as one that definitely prefers it to Headlong Flight. Always liked this song, ever since they released it as an isolated "single". After the pleasant but relatively unexciting S&A, it felt like they were having a little more fun with this one, but still in the context of a compact, coherent song with cool riffs, time signatures and melodies. Great instrumental section (small nod to La Villa Strangiato?)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #962 on: March 15, 2022, 07:40:44 AM »
Oops forgot to update for quite some time

Vital Signs - #37
Force Ten - #60
The Enemy Within - #24
The Weapon - #40
Digital Man - #67
Circumstances - #63
Closer to the Heart - #32
Caravan - #48
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline HOF

« Reply #963 on: March 15, 2022, 07:50:57 AM »
Closer to the Heart was number 26 for me, and my highest ranked song from the 70s. I grew up with this as a classic rock staple, and it was one of the first Rush songs that I took a real interest in. Then when I got AFTK, it took on a little more significance. Something about the place where it sits in that album and the lyrical connection to the title track. I’ve always tried to take that line “the men who hold high places must be the ones to start” to heart. Not that I hold an especially high place in society, but I do have a position of responsibility. This has been a bit of a motto for me. Musically, I love how much it packs into a short song. That acoustic part in the beginning is gorgeous, and the song just sort of keeps building until it rocks out at the end, with one of Neil’s most memorable fills just before the song fades.

Caravan is a song that I like a lot more than my ranking would suggest. I do think the funky groove in the verse is really good. I like the overall atmosphere and it’s a good mood setter for the album. It didn’t make my top 75 on account of me just not listening to it very much. I probably would have found a way to get it into a top 100. I do think I need to dust off CA and give it another good listen.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #964 on: March 15, 2022, 07:53:33 AM »
43 Closer to the Heart

42 Caravan

I did not rank Closer to the Heart. It’s a good song, but it’s also kinda overrated. Great guitar work though.

Caravan, I had at 62. One of my favourite opening tracks, great upbeat chorus, and that instrumental section is killer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #965 on: March 15, 2022, 09:41:39 AM »
43 Closer to the Heart

Using the ranker, CTTH came in at #76.  However, I played around with the songs right on the line, so I may have put it a slot or two higher on the list I sent to Kev.  Not sure because I don't have the final list.  Anyway.  CTTH is fine.  It's a nice little song.  A place to catch one's breath on a beast of an album.  The ESL version (both album and video) destroys the album version.

42 Caravan

This is the second of three songs from CA that made my top 75.  I had it at #39.  When I heard this song, I thought, "hey...maybe we'll finally get what they've been promising for the past couple albums!"  Unfortunately, after Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight, the album turned out to be a big dud.

Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 1 song (Fly by Night - #70)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 1 song (Vital Signs - #51)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 4 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 2 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52)
Counterparts - 4 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 3 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42)

We now have 17 of 19 albums represented, which means all of the albums that will be represented.  Currently, Signals, Counterparts and, bafflingly, Hold Your Fire hold the lead with four songs each.  And, since Kev hasn't told us we're done with any albums other than COS and T4E, we can look forward (or not) to at least one more song from each of those albums.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 03:23:04 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #966 on: March 15, 2022, 10:55:48 AM »
43 Closer to the Heart (-) - Although I recognize it's a classic song for Rush and it's nice and all, I never was super fan of it. But I do think the ASoH live version is great.

42 Caravan (#34) - Great, great song! Sure it could have a better chorus, but all the instrumentation is killer.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MrMike

« Reply #967 on: March 15, 2022, 02:40:59 PM »
I had Caravan at 15 and it's easily my favorite track on CA.  That middle jam section especially is what I was really missing from Rush for many years.  Since the late 80s, it felt like the musical arrangements had mostly just become vehicles to deliver Neil's lyrics rather than being their own interesting beast.  With Caravan, Headlong Flight and Anarchist, Rush was finally moving back toward more progressive arrangements that originally made me a fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #968 on: March 15, 2022, 03:11:16 PM »
Since the late 80s, it felt like the musical arrangements had mostly just become vehicles to deliver Neil's lyrics rather than being their own interesting beast.

I clearly felt this way about S&A, and for a number of songs on Vapor Trails and Test For Echo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #969 on: March 15, 2022, 03:34:29 PM »
Since the late 80s, it felt like the musical arrangements had mostly just become vehicles to deliver Neil's lyrics rather than being their own interesting beast.
I clearly felt this way about S&A, and for a number of songs on Vapor Trails and Test For Echo.
I think I can agree with this point for at least a handful of songs on each of their last 4 albums, including Clockwork Angels (looking at you Wish Them Well).

Closer to the Heart is a good song and certainly was part of what got me into Rush back 80-81, but over time, I got somewhat burned out on the song. I do like the way they kinda reinvigorated the song with the extended outro on the GUP Tour video and the later bass solo that Geddy added. Bummed they didn't include that when they brought it back for the R40 tour. Anyhoo, CttH still made my list at #70.

Love Caravan. One of my favorites from CA and one of the two that placed higher than Headlong Fight on my list. In this case, at #26. Great way to open up what ended up being their final album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #970 on: March 15, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »
43 Closer to the Heart

42 Caravan

I had Closer To the Heart at #70. Not nearly a favorite, but a nice enough track.

I had Caravan as Not Rated. Maybe I need to hear it again, as it seems like a pretty favorable track here with it being on 19 lists.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #971 on: March 15, 2022, 03:45:47 PM »
43 Closer to the Heart

42 Caravan

Closer to the Heart - my rank 62. Yes, it is a classic and a beautiful song. Has maybe lost a bit of love over the years though.

Caravan - my rank 34. Just a great rocking song. Have always really enjoyed this one from the first time I heard it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #972 on: March 15, 2022, 06:12:27 PM »
Let's knock out two more today.  :hat :hat

41 Bravado
Appeared on 17 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 6 (HOF)

I had this at 31. Definitely a song that helped win me over as a new fan in the fall of '91.  Crazy good melodies.

40 Leave That Thing Alone
Highest Ranking: 11 (KevShmev)

I normally call this a top 10 Rush song, but it settled it at 11 for me this time.  Instrumental goodness all-around, and Alex guitar literally sings in this one.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #973 on: March 15, 2022, 06:31:46 PM »
41 Bravado

Two songs I didn't rank. Leave That Thing Alone is fine enough, but holy shit does Bravado blow monkey chunks. For me, it's one of the fucking worst things they've ever done.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: March 15, 2022, 06:35:29 PM »
Might have said this before... my (Jesuit) high school had optional retreats for the junior class. Each one had its own theme and associated song, which was played several times a day: before every meal, every meeting, every gathering... which meant the song eventually got old. The theme and song for the one I ended up going on was Closer to the Heart. I was just getting in to Rush at the time, particularly late 70s/early 80s Rush and by the end of the weekend, even I was burned out on that song. 30 years later hearing that song makes me think of that retreat.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nick_z

« Reply #975 on: March 15, 2022, 06:38:03 PM »
Yes, let's do it!

Bravado (ranked #57)

I love this song, and I should've ranked it higher. I agree 100% on "crazy good melodies". The live version on Different Stages is brilliant too.

Leave That Thing Alone (ranked #21)

One word: fantastic. I rank this one even higher than YYZ. The way the bass and the drums are interlocked for the groove, with the eerie guitar playing supporting role at  first, then taking center stage, with riffs and leads. Sublime.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #976 on: March 15, 2022, 06:39:54 PM »

Two songs I didn't rank. Leave That Thing Alone is fine enough, but holy shit does Bravado blow monkey chunks. For me, it's one of the fucking worst things they've ever done.

:rollin :rollin

Boy, that's harsh  :biggrin: Why the hate on poor Bravado?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #977 on: March 15, 2022, 06:40:46 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Boy, that's harsh  :biggrin: Why the hate on poor Bravado?

Because it blows. I call it The Pass Pt. 2.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #978 on: March 15, 2022, 06:41:45 PM »
Let's knock out two more today.  :hat :hat

41 Bravado

Bravado hit my 69. Beautiful song, I used to use this one as my opener for solo gigs. Won me my first ever proper gig too.

Leave That Thing Alone arrived at number 42 for me. One can’t simply disagree with the groove and swagger that tune has!

Also, TAC’s opinions here aren’t opinions, but objectively wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #979 on: March 15, 2022, 06:42:38 PM »
Also, TAC’s opinions here aren’t opinions, but objectively wrong.

Oh, I'll vouch for that. :lol