Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52923 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #840 on: March 10, 2022, 03:09:52 PM »
New World Man I ranked at #36

Entre Nous did not make my top 75.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #841 on: March 10, 2022, 03:15:55 PM »

New World Man - I ranked at 75 so just made it in. Was probably lucky to make it me smile in the end.

Entre Nous - I ranked at 24. I love this song and I love this album.

ftfy   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #842 on: March 10, 2022, 04:42:56 PM »
New World Man is an OK song (the reagge part drags a bit) and Entre Nous is a good one, but they are my less favorites from their respective (excellent) albums and didn't enter in my top 75.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #843 on: March 10, 2022, 06:02:53 PM »

New World Man - I ranked at 75 so just made it in. Was probably lucky to make it me smile in the end.

Entre Nous - I ranked at 24. I love this song and I love this album.

ftfy   :biggrin:
Wrong song  ;)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #844 on: March 10, 2022, 06:07:20 PM »
54 New World Man
Appeared on 16 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 13 (Stadler)

I gotta admit that I was a tad surprised that this one did this well.  I thought much of the fanbase had realized what I had - that it is a solid tune, no more, no less - but many still have love for it. Who knew? ;)

53 Entre Nous
Highest Ranking: 18 (Cool Chris)

I had this at 61, which was lower than I would have put it had I eyeballed the ranking, but I guess I just prefer more songs to it than I thought. Still a big fan, and Permanent Waves is one of my three favorite Rush albums.
New World Man - Color me extremely surprised this made the top 75, I had it at #145. I get that it was a fairly popular single back in the day, but it's a poor Rush song. The chorus is catchy, but that's about it. This is just one of those songs where the everything about it kind of puts me off.

Entre Nous - This song on the other hand is a very bright and upbeat song and I love it! I ranked it at #25 and I thought for sure I would have the highest ranking for it, but Cool Chris had to come in and beat me by 7 spots.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #845 on: March 10, 2022, 07:20:32 PM »
I had the lowest #1 on the DT Top 100 (Beneath the Surface, somewhere in the 60s maybe?), curious what it will be here. Also curious what will be the highest ranking song to not appear on everyone's list (I think it was A Change of Seasons at #2).

To circle back to this, someone's number 1 song on their Rush top 75 ended up at number 128 in the entire list (I will post 76-165 once we get close to the end).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: March 10, 2022, 07:54:54 PM »
Wow that is crazy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #847 on: March 10, 2022, 07:55:30 PM »
I had the lowest #1 on the DT Top 100 (Beneath the Surface, somewhere in the 60s maybe?), curious what it will be here. Also curious what will be the highest ranking song to not appear on everyone's list (I think it was A Change of Seasons at #2).

To circle back to this, someone's number 1 song on their Rush top 75 ended up at number 128 in the entire list (I will post 76-165 once we get close to the end).

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #848 on: March 10, 2022, 09:06:17 PM »
54 New World Man
Highest Ranking: 13 (Stadler)

I gotta admit that I was a tad surprised that this one did this well.  I thought much of the fanbase had realized what I had - that it is a solid tune, no more, no less - but many still have love for it. Who knew? ;)

53 Entre Nous
Highest Ranking: 18 (Cool Chris)

I had this at 61, which was lower than I would have put it had I eyeballed the ranking, but I guess I just prefer more songs to it than I thought. Still a big fan, and Permanent Waves is one of my three favorite Rush albums.
New World Man - Color me extremely surprised this made the top 75, I had it at #145. I get that it was a fairly popular single back in the day, but it's a poor Rush song. The chorus is catchy, but that's about it. This is just one of those songs where the everything about it kind of puts me off.

Entre Nous - This song on the other hand is a very bright and upbeat song and I love it! I ranked it at #25 and I thought for sure I would have the highest ranking for it, but Cool Chris had to come in and beat me by 7 spots.

Nice one - I ranked Entre Nous at 24 so beat you by 1 place but I actually never thought I would be the highest rank for this song. I was expecting it to be much higher overall.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #849 on: March 10, 2022, 09:36:24 PM »
There's a song for which I'm pretty confident I have the highest ranking, but I have a feeling it won't make the top 75.  We shall see.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: March 10, 2022, 09:40:05 PM »
My #6 is going to be way higher than the consensus - I still think it will make the 75, but honestly I cannot always gauge how the Rush winds blow here.

Also thank you for the ongoing album count update!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #851 on: March 10, 2022, 09:42:42 PM »
My #6 is going to be way higher than the consensus - I still think it will make the 75, but honestly I cannot always gauge how the Rush winds blow here.

Also thank you for the ongoing album count update!

[butthead voice] huh uh huhuhuhuh huhuhu ….you said ‘blow’….   huhuhuhuhhhuhuhuhhhuh [/butthead voice]
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #852 on: March 10, 2022, 09:43:53 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #853 on: March 10, 2022, 09:54:19 PM »

Is that a hint as to which song you're talking about?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: March 10, 2022, 09:55:55 PM »
Nope, just an awkward turn of the phrase.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: March 10, 2022, 11:12:15 PM »
There's a song for which I'm pretty confident I have the highest ranking, but I have a feeling it won't make the top 75.  We shall see.

I'm fairly confident my number 1 will be this particular tune's highest ranking.

Bearing in mind Kev's comment ("To circle back to this, someone's number 1 song on their Rush top 75 ended up at number 128 in the entire list"), I'd be surprised if the song I have at number one isn't in the 75. But stranger things have happened at sea :biggrin:

Hmm... now I've thought about it... yeah, my number one could be 128 :lol Be fun to find out nonetheless and won't change what I think of the song, of course.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #856 on: March 11, 2022, 06:13:08 AM »
Let's roll.  :metal :metal

52 Ghost of a Chance
Appeared on 13 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 9 (wolfking)

I suppose this one has been downgraded for me a tough, as I used to call it a top 20-25 song, but had it at 34 in this. Still love it. This was a key song in making me a fan in the earliest days of my fandom, and it was admittedly a favorite of the girlfriend I had for most of that year as well.  :coolio

51 Vital Signs
Appeared on 17 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 2 (DTA)

I only had this at 70, but I am still a fan.  I chuckled when I read how the band thought fans didn't love it enough back in the day, so they kept putting it in prime spots in the set lists, almost forcing fans to love it, haha.  The first of seven songs to appear from Moving Pictures in the top 75! 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: March 11, 2022, 06:29:21 AM »
Another top rated song by me.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #858 on: March 11, 2022, 06:33:44 AM »
Ghost of a Chance (did not rank in top 75, had it at #88)

Good song - probably my favorite of RtB's second "half". I enjoyed it when they played on the S&A tour

Vital Signs (ranked #36)

Love it. It's definitely my favorite of the, um, "non-side A" Moving Pictures' songs  ;D I remember the first time listening to the album...the way the whole thing sounds at the beginning was a bit jarring, and I didn't quite appreciate what they were doing with it. But, over time, Vital Signs has grown on me so much. And that ending, so so good.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #859 on: March 11, 2022, 07:00:07 AM »
Let's roll.  :metal :metal

52 Ghost of a Chance

51 Vital Signs

Ghost of a Chance, not a ranker but a very good song. Probably hits around 80 for me.

Vital Signs, I had this at 26. Not my highest ranking Moving Pictures song by a long shot, but a great song. This is basically the point where the classic era blends into the synth era, and I absolutely love it!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #860 on: March 11, 2022, 07:06:15 AM »
Ghost of A Chance was at 22 for me. I think this might be my favorite Lifeson solo. I love the tone of the whole song though. Kind of eery sounding, the tension builds with the pre-chorus, and then releases with the lovely, gentle chorus. Great song.

Vital Signs is one I’ve just never liked. It would have ranked pretty close to the bottom if I’d gone and ranked all the way through the catalog.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #861 on: March 11, 2022, 07:36:39 AM »
52 Ghost of a Chance (#44) - Love this one! One of the most unique songs in terms of style in Rush's catalogue. Something that it could have been in a Eric Johnson album easily.

51 Vital Signs - Although MP is my favorite Rush album, even it didn't make all the songs in my Top 75, just because I feel every Rush album has songs that are top level in its discography. But I still like Vital Signs a lot - that ending is really great, goosebumps!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: March 11, 2022, 07:42:05 AM »
Ghost of a Chance I ranked at # 23

Vital Signs just missed my top 75.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #863 on: March 11, 2022, 08:56:40 AM »
Ghost of a Chance:  #134
Vital Signs: #150

Neither one is a favorite, to be honest.  I know they played it live - there's a b-side - but I for some reason thought that Vital Signs was that one song that was "no holds barred"; was that not the song from Moving Pictures?  Was it Witch Hunt, instead?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #864 on: March 11, 2022, 08:58:18 AM »
Neither of those songs made my list, and I don't remember where they ranked overall.  Vital Signs was the only song from MP that didn't make my Top 75.  It's grown on me over the years, but it's still my least favorite on the album by far. 

Stads, Vital Signs was the one they wrote in the studio.  Witch Hunt was the big production number.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #865 on: March 11, 2022, 09:50:24 AM »
GoaC is my favorite song on RtB. As someone else mentioned, I love the contrast between the verses and the sublime chorus. And could it be that Rush did a *love* song?!?  :omg:  But as expected, a quality love song that only Neil could pen. It made it all the way up to #14 on my list.

VS on the other hand is a kinda "meh" song to me. Never was a big fan of the song, although I like the live renditions from early p/g tour bootlegs (Milwaukee in particular) with the extended intro and the final leg of the RtB tour where Alex added an outro solo. Also props to Geddy for the bass line during the verses. Nonetheless, it barely made my top 100 at #97.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #866 on: March 11, 2022, 10:38:05 AM »
52 Ghost of a Chance

I suppose this one has been downgraded for me a tough, as I used to call it a top 20-25 song, but had it at 34 in this. Still love it. This was a key song in making me a fan in the earliest days of my fandom, and it was admittedly a favorite of the girlfriend I had for most of that year as well.  :coolio

I had this song at #105.  It's one of the better songs on RTB, but that's like saying that someone is one of the better ice hockey players in Namibia.

51 Vital Signs

I only had this at 70, but I am still a fan.  I chuckled when I read how the band thought fans didn't love it enough back in the day, so they kept putting it in prime spots in the set lists, almost forcing fans to love it, haha.  The first of seven songs to appear from Moving Pictures in the top 75!

I freakin' LOVE this song and had it at #46.  It's the first Rush song I learned to play on bass, and I can still play the main bass riff.  It's a great example of how Rush was able to incorporate different styles of music but still retain the innate Rushness.

Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 1 song (Fly by Night - #70)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings -
Hemispheres -
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 1 song (Vital Signs - #51
Signals - 2 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54)
Grace Under Pressure -
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 2 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 2 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52)
Counterparts - 4 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails -
Snakes & Arrows -
Clockwork Angels - 1 song (Clockwork Angels - #55)

We now have 14 of 19 albums represented.  Pretty obvious which two albums won't be represented.  Given some of the songs that have already made the top 75, that's a freakin' travesty.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #867 on: March 11, 2022, 10:48:17 AM »
Specially sad for the amazing The Main Monkey Business … (# 16 for me)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #868 on: March 11, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »
Time for another catch-up post before heading into the Top 50!

62 Driven - ranked 40th for me. Probably my favorite song from the album, next to Limbo and the title track.
61 Cut To The Chase - ranked 71st. Another favorite off of CP, a shame it was never played live.
60 Cold Fire - ranked 112th. I like it well enough, and I guess the band did too, considering they played it live.
59 Bastille Day - ranked 70th. A truly classic Rush tune, I'd be surprised if it wasn't in most Rush fans' Top 75.
58 A Passage To Bangkok - ranked 79th. Barely made my Top 75, but outside of the title track, it's one of the better songs from 2112.
57 Different Strings - ranked 22nd. PEW is one of my favorite Rush albums, and this one song that never got played live is a stand-out for me.
56 Working Man - ranked 51st. Pretty close to my actual ranking. The album version is fine, but the song really lifts off live.
55 Clockwork Angels - ranked 46th. CA's title track is a stand-out on the album for me. about as epic as they were going to get in latter days.
54 New World Man - ranked 39th. A catchy single for sure, one of the more fun tunes on Signals.
53 Entre Nous - ranked 97th. The lowest ranked PEW song for me, though if I edited my list after the sorter finished, I might have moved it up further into my Top 75. It's good, but probably my least favorite on PEW anyway.
52 Ghost Of A Chance - ranked 60th. I think this song got a boost after it was brought back live, but it was always a fine tune, one of the better ones on RTB.
51 Vital Signs - ranked 45th. My lowest ranked song from MP, and while it's a good tune, it's probably my least favorite on an otherwise amazing album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #869 on: March 11, 2022, 11:37:07 AM »
52 Ghost of a Chance

I had this song at #105.  It's one of the better songs on RTB, but that's like saying that someone is one of the better ice hockey players in Namibia.

51 Vital Signs

I freakin' LOVE this song and had it at #46.  It's the first Rush song I learned to play on bass, and I can still play the main bass riff.  It's a great example of how Rush was able to incorporate different styles of music but still retain the innate Rushness.

Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 1 song (Fly by Night - #70)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings -
Hemispheres -
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 1 song (Vital Signs - #51
Signals - 2 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54)
Grace Under Pressure -
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 2 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 2 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52)
Counterparts - 4 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails -
Snakes & Arrows -
Clockwork Angels - 1 song (Clockwork Angels - #55)

We now have 14 of 19 albums represented.  Pretty obvious which two albums won't be represented.  Given some of the songs that have already made the top 75, that's a freakin' travesty.

Not really; Grace Under Pressure just isn't that good.  :) :) :) :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #870 on: March 11, 2022, 11:57:12 AM »
I would be shocked if there aren't at least 2 songs from GUP in the final tally.  I'm not saying it'll be Red Lenses and Kid Gloves, but I would think that any two of Between the Wheels, Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A would be in there somewhere.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #871 on: March 11, 2022, 12:00:23 PM »
I have 6 tracks from Vapor Trails in my top 75, 5 in my top 51, and 2 in my top 25. Would be kind of amazed that at least one of those wouldn’t make the list, but it does seem more likely that AFTK, Hemispheres, and GUP would be represented than either VT or S&A.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: March 11, 2022, 12:27:43 PM »
Between the Wheels & Distant Early Warning will definitely make the top 75.

Offline HOF

« Reply #873 on: March 11, 2022, 12:37:15 PM »
Between the Wheels & Distant Early Warning will definitely make the top 75.

Yup (if my list is any indication at least).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #874 on: March 11, 2022, 12:49:28 PM »
I would be shocked if there aren't at least 2 songs from GUP in the final tally.  I'm not saying it'll be Red Lenses and Kid Gloves, but I would think that any two of Between the Wheels, Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A would be in there somewhere.

I have 6 tracks from Vapor Trails in my top 75, 5 in my top 51, and 2 in my top 25. Would be kind of amazed that at least one of those wouldn’t make the list, but it does seem more likely that AFTK, Hemispheres, and GUP would be represented than either VT or S&A.

I have 5 songs from VT in the top 75 (highest being #23) and 4 from GUP (and now that I look at it, I'm a little surprised about the fourth song).  But I know that I rank a lot of the VT songs a lot higher than a lot of folks, and given the other options....  :-(