Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52735 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #770 on: March 08, 2022, 10:24:09 AM »
60 Cold Fire
Appeared on 15 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 14 (nick_z)

This song floored me when I first heard it.  Geddy's voice is in top form here on the studio version, and some of the best vocal melodies they ever wrote are in this song.  I had this at 33.  It's too bad this song got the "one tour and done" treatment, but I think Geddy struggled with it vocally live (based on the live versions I have heard).  Studio version is marvelous, regardless.

Cold Fire came in at #135 for me.  I always hated the way it starts, and the verses are huge duds lyrically (talk about cringe-worthy:  "just don't disappoint me; you know how complex women are"?!?!).  I can distinctly recall thinking, "WTF is he doing?"  The bridge and chorus parts aren't bad, though.

59 Bastille Day
Appeared on 18 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 17 (nobloodyname)

A fun as hell rocker from the early days! I had this at 62.  This is the highest ranked song in the list from Caress of Steel.  Sorry, folks, there will be no I Think I'm Going Bald in the top 10. :P

This is surprisingly low.  I have always loved Bastille Day.  My band used to play it live.  So much fun.  I ranked it at #37 (and looking at my list, I had Lamneth seven slots higher, which, in retrospect, I'd have changed).  I also had Lakeside Park at #55, but the ATWAS version is MUCH better than the album version.

The album count so far:

Rush -
Fly by Night - 1 song (Fly by Night - #70)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 1 song (Something for Nothing - #63)
A Farewell to Kings -
Hemispheres -
Permanent Waves -
Moving Pictures -
Signals - 1 song (Countdown - #68)
Grace Under Pressure -
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 2 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 1 song (Roll the Bones - #75)
Counterparts - 4 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails -
Snakes & Arrows -
Clockwork Angels -

Still 10 of 19 albums represented, with Counterparts having twice as many as any other album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: March 08, 2022, 10:28:24 AM »
62 Driven (#39)

61 Cut to the Chase (NR)

60 Cold Fire (NR)

59 Bastille Day (#71)  for all the ATWAS listens I gave that album

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #772 on: March 08, 2022, 10:52:24 AM »
60. Cold Fire (73).  I still really like this song, even if I didn’t rate it as high as others.  I still think the “you know how complex women are” line is a bit cringey, but otherwise, a solid song.

59. Bastille Day (N/A).  I think they did a better job repurposing this riff in Headlong Flight.  This may have been my highest ranking song from COS, but it still didn’t make my Top 75.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #773 on: March 08, 2022, 11:10:49 AM »

Bummed, though, to read that about Caress Of Steel. I don't like either Lakeside Park or I Think I'm Going Bald (even though it is an offhand Kiss reference), but Fountain of Lamneth is shockingly high on my list.

Out of curiosity, may I ask how high is "shockingly high"?  ;D

#29.  That's not a song that is barely making the list.   :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #774 on: March 08, 2022, 03:17:35 PM »
I love the No One at the Bridge section, and other parts of it are good, but The Fountain of Lamneth, when taken as a whole, is a mess.  It's not cohesive at all, and feels like a band spitting out a rough draft of an album side.  They obviously got significantly better at it on the next record.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #775 on: March 08, 2022, 04:35:55 PM »
I love the No One at the Bridge section, and other parts of it are good, but The Fountain of Lamneth, when taken as a whole, is a mess.  It's not cohesive at all, and feels like a band spitting out a rough draft of an album side.  They obviously got significantly better at it on the next record.
This just about sums up my feelings on it. I could do without Panacea, and Bacchus Plateau to a lesser degree, but the rest of it is great, especially No One at the Bridge. But as much as I like the individual parts, it definitely doesn't feel cohesive, aside from the fact that The Fountain reprises parts of In the Valley. It's funny - CoS was one of the very first Rush cassettes I ever bought (never bought vinyl) because it was the cheapest option, and the tracklisting for the cassette was wonky. I just checked online now, and it seems the label swapped ITIGB with Didacts and Narpets. On top of that, the J-card listed the individual parts as songs, so I had no idea that all these "songs" were actually parts of an epic until several years later.  :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #776 on: March 08, 2022, 04:42:04 PM »
I literally couldn't even name the sections of that song...or for Illumination Theory either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #777 on: March 08, 2022, 05:01:21 PM »
I literally couldn't even name the sections of that song...or for Illumination Theory either.

Your Walkman batteries died in your time capsule.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #778 on: March 08, 2022, 05:14:43 PM »

Let's see...off the top of my head:

1. In the Valley
2. Didacts and Narpets
3. No One at the Bridge
4. Bacchus Plateau
5. Panacea
6. The Fountain

For IT, I have NO idea except that one section is "Live, Die, Kill" and another one is in French.

How'd I do?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #779 on: March 08, 2022, 05:15:45 PM »
I think that's amazing you could do that off the top of your head.

Your Walkman batteries died in your time capsule.

Hah!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #780 on: March 08, 2022, 05:18:34 PM »

1. Paradoxe De La Lumiere Noire
2. Live, Die, Kill
3. The Embracing Circle
4. The Pursuit of Truth
5. Surrender, Trust and Passion

6. Easter Egg

I had to look up the spelling of the French words, but I’m pretty sure that’s right.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #781 on: March 08, 2022, 06:00:20 PM »
60. Cold Fire (73).  I still really like this song, even if I didn’t rate it as high as others. I still think the “you know how complex women are” line is a bit cringey, but otherwise, a solid song.
I honestly don't know why this part is considered cringy. :dunno:

This just about sums up my feelings on it. I could do without Panacea, and Bacchus Plateau to a lesser degree, but the rest of it is great, especially No One at the Bridge. But as much as I like the individual parts, it definitely doesn't feel cohesive, aside from the fact that The Fountain reprises parts of In the Valley. It's funny - CoS was one of the very first Rush cassettes I ever bought (never bought vinyl) because it was the cheapest option, and the tracklisting for the cassette was wonky. I just checked online now, and it seems the label swapped ITIGB with Didacts and Narpets. On top of that, the J-card listed the individual parts as songs, so I had no idea that all these "songs" were actually parts of an epic until several years later.  :P
I LOVE Bacchus Plateau. I could see how Panacea could bring the whole song to a halt. It almost sounds like Rivendell Pt. 2.

And while we are on the subject of the rest of Caress of Steel. I had The Fountain of Lamneth at #48. I Think I'm Going Bald was at #149. Lakeside Park ended up at #118, which may seem low, but I still really like the song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: March 08, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »
I had Lakeside Park just making the list at #75. That and Bastille Day at #36 were all I had from COS.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #783 on: March 08, 2022, 07:04:05 PM »
Diehard fans of the earlier material will appreciate today's featured songs...

58 A Passage to Bangkok
Appeared on 13 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 9 (The Realm)

Despite my love for 2112 the albums as a whole, I did not rank this song in my top 75.  Always enjoyed it a lot, but never was a major favorite. Love the toke before the solo, though.  :hat :hat

57 Different Strings
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 7 (Cool Chris, Tomislav95)

This is one I feel like I underrated, as I had it at 55.  Big, big fan, and it goes without saying that Rush never had another song like this one. Too bad they never found a way to play it live.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #784 on: March 08, 2022, 07:16:29 PM »
Diehard fans of the earlier material will appreciate today's featured songs...

58 A Passage to Bangkok

57 Different Strings

A Passage to Bangkok at number 43 on my list, the only track other than the epic of the same name from 2112. I mean, the song speaks for itself, but just to highlight how much this song has stayed with me, I watched The 355 with my parents the other night. Straight off the bat, we get a subtitle that shows that the first scene takes place in Bogotá, Colombia and a shot of a bunch of trees from overhead. I had the most intense battle with my own impulses, just trying to tell myself don’t do it, don’t do it! Didn’t matter though. Out of my mouth it came. “Our first stop is in Bogotá, to check Colombian fields!”
Thankfully, we were streaming it…

Different Strings, I had at 48.  It’s a truly beautiful song. Nothing else quite like it in their catalog, which makes it even sadder that this song never got the live treatment it deserved. Holds a special place in my heart, and I’m sure the hearts of many Rush fans around the world.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #785 on: March 08, 2022, 07:18:33 PM »
57 Different Strings

This is one I feel like I underrated, as I had it at 55. 

Seems you were right in line, actually.

58 A Passage to Bangkok

57 Different Strings

I had A Passage To Bangkok at #76. Just missed out on the list. I like the song for sure.

I had Different Strings at #58, so pretty much in line with the countdown. It's a really cool song. Love Neil's high-hat on this.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #786 on: March 08, 2022, 07:24:39 PM »
Both failed to make my top 75.  I think Bangkok just missed.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #787 on: March 08, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »
A Passage to Bangkok (did not rank - outside of top 100)

I actually quite like this song - it just didn't get there. Might be my favorite of 2112's side 2. The chord progression under Alex's solo is cool.

Different Strings (did not rank - outside of top 100)

The only song from Permanent Waves that didn't rank for me. I do feel like I underrated it, as it's a very pretty tune, especially when the whole band comes in. Real nice guitar work overall.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #788 on: March 08, 2022, 07:32:47 PM »
58 A Passage to Bangkok

Despite my love for 2112 the albums as a whole, I did not rank this song in my top 75.  Always enjoyed it a lot, but never was a major favorite. Love the toke before the solo, though.  :hat :hat

I had A Passage to Bangkok at #50.  One of two songs on which Geddy played his double-neck.  Would have liked to have seen that live.  My favorite on side 2 of 2112.

57 Different Strings

This is one I feel like I underrated, as I had it at 55.  Big, big fan, and it goes without saying that Rush never had another song like this one. Too bad they never found a way to play it live.

This one came in at #48 for me.  A cool song, but it took me a while to warm up to it at first (just because it wasn't heavy).  I'd say it's an ancestor to songs like Available Light and (to a lesser extent) Everyday Glory.  It was one of those "never intended to be played live" songs, featuring Hugh Syme's second guest appearance, this time on piano.

Rush -
Fly by Night - 1 song (Fly by Night - #70)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings -
Hemispheres -
Permanent Waves - 1 song (Different Strings - #57)
Moving Pictures -
Signals - 1 song (Countdown - #68)
Grace Under Pressure -
Power Windows - 1 song (Emotion Detector - #66)
Hold Your Fire - 2 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 1 song (Roll the Bones - #75)
Counterparts - 4 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails -
Snakes & Arrows -
Clockwork Angels -

We now have 11 of 19 albums represented.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #789 on: March 08, 2022, 07:34:24 PM »
Heads are gonna explode when you see that Moving Pictures is one of the two albums to not have any song make the top 75.

:P :P :P

Offline pg1067

« Reply #790 on: March 08, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »

Online HOF

« Reply #791 on: March 08, 2022, 07:42:34 PM »
A Passage to Bangkok came in at 67 for me. My only entry from 2112 and the only song I ever really listen to on that album. The lyrics are dumb, but the song is a lot of fun regardless.

Different Strings just missed for me, though it would have been in my top 85 probably. I like it a lot, but it’s a bit on the somber side, and I get a little annoyed by how short they cut Alex’s solo at the end. It sounds like he’s just about to get really going and then it fades so suddenly. Would love to have heard them jam out on that part for another minute (or more).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 08:54:45 PM by HOF »

Offline nick_z

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #793 on: March 08, 2022, 08:09:26 PM »
 :rollin :tup

58 A Passage to Bangkok (-) - It didn't rank for me, but I really like the song, specially the ESL version, which is rhythmically a bit more elaborated in some places.

57 Different Strings (#57!) - Great song, I just wish the outro would last more... what a cool and weird vibe on it!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #794 on: March 08, 2022, 08:18:14 PM »

58 A Passage to Bangkok

57 Different Strings

A Passage to Bangkok - not surprised at all I ranked this the highest, probably more surprised it ranked this high overall as I actually thought it may not make the top 75. I have always really loved this song, just something about it really appeals to me, maybe my ranking is still a bit high but it just has awesome nostalgia vibes to me, as the whole 2112 album does.

Different Strings - my rank 29. Just a really beautiful song.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #795 on: March 08, 2022, 08:47:03 PM »
58 A Passage to Bangkok

57 Different Strings

A Passage to Bangkok - This is a good song, despite placing at #127 in my list. Rush just has that many more better songs. Lots of interesting things the band does in this song, both in the studio version and the live versions.

Different Strings - This one finished just outside of my top 75 at #79. I can echo most of the other sentiments so far. It's a beautiful song that is unlike almost anything else in there discography. Wish it was played live and wish it didn't fade out. One of my biggest pet peeves in music...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #796 on: March 08, 2022, 10:13:29 PM »
58. A Passage to Bangkok - Me (did not rank - both original lists had it just outside the top 100)

A decent song. It’s fun. I never saw what the big deal was. I think it gets a bit overhyped just because it’s a pot anthem.

57. Different Strings - Me #68

This and Losing It are IMO Rush’s greatest ballads. Most of their early attempts (Rivendell, Panacea, Tears, Madrigal) are just ok at best. So this being the first ballad that they really hit out of the park just underscores how much they were firing on all cylinders at this point.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #797 on: March 09, 2022, 02:50:58 AM »
A Passage To Bangkok (#35) - one of the best classic rockers
Different string (#7) - one of those songs I hear at the back of my head on a daily basis and not in annoying kind of way. Great lyrics, emotive song that hits hard. Not a typical Rush but still one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:05:22 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: March 09, 2022, 06:33:08 AM »
A Passage To Bangkok was #17 on my list, great song. I'd argue most days that the second half of songs are better than the title track.

Different Strings was #28 on my list. Just a killer song with a beautiful guitar melody, I was just listening to it yesterday.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: March 09, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
Two songs that rank fairly high for me.

A Passage to Bangkok: #33.  DESPITE the lyrics (I guess this is their "Cold Gin"?), I love the riff and the chorus is money.
Different Strings: #39.   What a beautiful song.  This is just a great example of beautiful songwriting.  This is one of those songs I've written about that just as easily could have appeared on a later album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #800 on: March 09, 2022, 09:33:17 AM »
58. A Passage to Bangkok - Me (did not rank - both original lists had it just outside the top 100)

A decent song. It’s fun. I never saw what the big deal was. I think it gets a bit overhyped just because it’s a pot anthem.

I think that's fair, and I might have ranked it higher if the subject matter were different.  That said, I think Neil did a fairly good job making the lyrics appealing despite the subject matter.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #801 on: March 09, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »

Overhyped or just plain overrated - either way, I'm sure the lyrics play a big part in that. And it's for that same reason I don't really care for it, despite the great guitar solo. Ended up at #114 on my list.

I really do like Different Strings. It's a great song, and I think I'd agree with Ben in that it is one of their better ballads (Losing It being the best of the bunch), but if I'm being honest, there are many other songs in Rush's catalog that I'd prefer to listen to instead. So it didn't make my top 75 either, although it just barely missed at #78.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #802 on: March 09, 2022, 01:11:17 PM »
I really do like Different Strings. It's a great song, and I think I'd agree with Ben in that it is one of their better ballads (Losing It being the best of the bunch), but if I'm being honest, there are many other songs in Rush's catalog that I'd prefer to listen to instead. So it didn't make my top 75 either, although it just barely missed at #78.

DS reminds me of a movie whose name I can't remember.  It was about this gorgeous woman who moved into an apartment with I think four other women who all happened to be models.  Because of this, the gorgeous lead got treated as though she was a dog.  That's Different Strings, which has to be a "roommate" with a bunch of "models" on Permanent Waves.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: March 09, 2022, 01:32:28 PM »

DS reminds me of a movie whose name I can't remember.  It was about this gorgeous woman who moved into an apartment with I think four other women who all happened to be models.  Because of this, the gorgeous lead got treated as though she was a dog.  That's Different Strings, which has to be a "roommate" with a bunch of "models" on Permanent Waves.

Which may be why it's so high on MY list, because it's not that way with me;   Different Strings and Jacob's Ladder are the models and the rest are... cute, but out of their league.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #804 on: March 09, 2022, 01:42:20 PM »
Two songs that rank fairly high for me.

A Passage to Bangkok: #33.  DESPITE the lyrics (I guess this is their "Cold Gin"?), I love the riff and the chorus is money.
Different Strings: #39.   What a beautiful song.  This is just a great example of beautiful songwriting.  This is one of those songs I've written about that just as easily could have appeared on a later album.

I love this comment! Also my love for A Passage to Bangkok has nothing to do with the lyrics/subject matter. Musically it is a great song.