Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52892 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #735 on: March 07, 2022, 03:15:31 PM »
While I'm bummed that some of my favorites won't make the cut (such as Time and Motion, my favorite on T4E), it's interesting to see everyone's thoughts on each of the tracks that did make it.

It's mine as well. It didn't make the cut?

Apparently not, based on Kev's comment that this is the highest ranked song from T4E...

I'm actually not a huge fan of Time and Motion - I was kind of excited with the first few listens at the time, as it felt like Rush wanted to be a bit proggier...but then the excitement waned as it started to feel like they did want to write a quirky song, but ended up not going anywhere particularly interesting (for me, of course).

For contrast, Double Agent managed to be weird and interesting at the same time  :)

Time and Motion always sounded a bit like it was sort of trying for fit into the 90s prog metal sphere a bit with the mix of heavier bits and the keyboard hook. My biggest issue is it just kind of drones vocally and melodically.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #736 on: March 07, 2022, 03:17:09 PM »
While I'm bummed that some of my favorites won't make the cut (such as Time and Motion, my favorite on T4E), it's interesting to see everyone's thoughts on each of the tracks that did make it.

It's mine as well. It didn't make the cut?

Apparently not, based on Kev's comment that this is the highest ranked song from T4E...

I'm actually not a huge fan of Time and Motion - I was kind of excited with the first few listens at the time, as it felt like Rush wanted to be a bit proggier...but then the excitement waned as it started to feel like they did want to write a quirky song, but ended up not going anywhere particularly interesting (for me, of course).

For contrast, Double Agent managed to be weird and interesting at the same time  :)

Time and Motion always sounded a bit like it was sort of trying for fit into the 90s prog metal sphere a bit with the mix of heavier bits and the keyboard hook. My biggest issue is it just kind of drones vocally and melodically.

My thoughts exactly.

Online The Realm

« Reply #737 on: March 07, 2022, 03:19:43 PM »
Here are two for this lovely Monday morning...

62 Driven
Appeared on 14 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 13 (wolfking)

61 Cut to the Chase
Appeared on 16 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 8 (wolfking)

Driven - I had at 33. I actually love this song and have grown to love it more recently. I've been listening to Different Stages a lot lately and the version on that live album is awesome. I'm a bit surprised this ranked so low.

Cut to the Chase - I didn't rank but agree the guitar solo is great. Counterparts isn't an album I connect with but appears others do. There have been 3 songs from this album already in the top 75 none of which I ranked. However, I do have 2 songs from this album in my top 75 so they may be yet to come...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: March 07, 2022, 03:57:54 PM »
I'm not surprised I ranked both these songs higher than everyone else.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #739 on: March 07, 2022, 06:07:38 PM »
Time and Motion finished 109th out of 165 songs.  In other words, it still finished about 45-50 spots higher than it should have. :P  :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #740 on: March 07, 2022, 06:36:25 PM »
Here are two for this lovely Monday morning...

62 Driven
Appeared on 14 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 13 (wolfking)

I didn't rank this one, but this is definitely one of the better songs from Test for Echo.  And, in fact, it is the highest ranked song from that record in the top 75.  Great riff, fun song to crank up on the highway.

61 Cut to the Chase
Appeared on 16 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 8 (wolfking)

I guess it's fitting that we were just talking about this one.  I had it at 48.  Definitely very high on my "I can't believe they never played this song live" list when it comes to Rush songs.  That guitar solo is like running water...so fluid.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Driven - This song didn't make my list, although I do like the song. I prefer the live versions they've done over the years. This one finished at #95.

Cut to the Chase - This one barely made my list at #72. It's a great song with some great dynamics and an amazing guitar solo. A pity they never played it live.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: March 07, 2022, 07:49:26 PM »
I wish Alex shredded like this more.  Killer solo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #742 on: March 07, 2022, 07:54:57 PM »
What was that?  Y'all want two more today? Oh, okay.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

60 Cold Fire
Appeared on 15 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 14 (nick_z)

This song floored me when I first heard it.  Geddy's voice is in top form here on the studio version, and some of the best vocal melodies they ever wrote are in this song.  I had this at 33.  It's too bad this song got the "one tour and done" treatment, but I think Geddy struggled with it vocally live (based on the live versions I have heard).  Studio version is marvelous, regardless.

59 Bastille Day
Appeared on 18 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 17 (nobloodyname)

A fun as hell rocker from the early days! I had this at 62.  This is the highest ranked song in the list from Caress of Steel.  Sorry, folks, there will be no I Think I'm Going Bald in the top 10. :P

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: March 07, 2022, 07:57:15 PM »
Someone placed Cold Fire higher than me.  Nice.  Amazing song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #744 on: March 07, 2022, 08:05:52 PM »
60 Cold Fire

59 Bastille Day

I had Cold Fire at #29. It a great song. I think the lyrics are really interesting. I also love both the prechorus and the chorus.

I had Bastille Day at #36. Great tune, especially the ATWAS version.

@Kev...Does Bastille Day at 18 out of 25 lists appear on the most lists so far?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #745 on: March 07, 2022, 08:07:25 PM »

60 Cold Fire

This song floored me when I first heard it.  Geddy's voice is in top form here on the studio version, and some of the best vocal melodies they ever wrote are in this song.  I had this at 33.  It's too bad this song got the "one tour and done" treatment, but I think Geddy struggled with it vocally live (based on the live versions I have heard).  Studio version is marvelous, regardless.

59 Bastille Day

A fun as hell rocker from the early days! I had this at 62.  This is the highest ranked song in the list from Caress of Steel.  Sorry, folks, there will be no I Think I'm Going Bald in the top 10. :P

Cold Fire (ranked #14)

Ha! Another one where I'm the highest ranker  ;D Echoing all of Kev's comments, except the fact that I rank it even higher. I love this song SO very much. Some of my favorite vocal melodies in any Rush song. The "I'll be around..." part, with all the subtle background additions in the guitar parts as it's repeated throughout the song, the chorus with Neil's brilliant drumming (and a rediscovery of sorts of his signature ride pattern), the softer, clean mood in the verses with the steady rhythm underneath. Fantastic stuff, and my second favorite song on Counterparts.

Bastille Day (ranked #75)

Just made my top 75, and it's the only song from CoS. Great early rocker, the initial riff almost sounds a precursor to epic metal. Always enjoy this one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #746 on: March 07, 2022, 08:13:27 PM »

@Kev...Does Bastille Day at 18 out of 25 lists appear on the most lists so far?

Yes.  What's a bit strange is that a song coming up here pretty soon made only 15 lists and did not appear in anyone's top 20, yet finished at 55.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #747 on: March 07, 2022, 08:17:36 PM »

60 Cold Fire

59 Bastille Day

Cold Fire - This song just missed my top 75, coming in at 76. This was a hard one to leave off the list. You know, this probably should have been a top 100 Rush song ranking  ;) I do kind of feel this should have been higher in the ranking for me, but there are just waaaay too many amazing Rush songs. Like 95% of them.... :biggrin: And yes I said amazing!

Bastille Day -  This clocked in at #34. Just a great hard rocker from CoS. This was made even better on the Different Stages Hammersmith Odeon live show. They ripped through this song!

aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: March 07, 2022, 08:19:19 PM »
Now, this is obviously all for fun, and everyone can do their rankings however they want, but if someone is putting a song higher because they think it won't get enough love from others, or lower because they want to knock it down because they think it will get too much love from others, that is not playing fair, IMO.

As I did with my DT ranking, if there is a match-up on the ranking engine that just has me pulling my hair out, I go with the one that I think would rank lower with the other participants. I do not do it to skewer the overall results, just to break a tie between songs. I consider it Ranking Engine Affirmative Action. :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #749 on: March 07, 2022, 08:21:18 PM »
Now, this is obviously all for fun, and everyone can do their rankings however they want, but if someone is putting a song higher because they think it won't get enough love from others, or lower because they want to knock it down because they think it will get too much love from others, that is not playing fair, IMO.

As I did with my DT ranking, if there is a match-up on the ranking engine that just has me pulling my hair out, I go with the one that I think would rank lower with the other participants. I do not do it to skewer the overall results, just to break a tie between songs. I consider it Ranking Engine Affirmative Action. :)

Cool Chris..man of the people.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #750 on: March 07, 2022, 08:42:52 PM »
OH MY GOD I'M SO FAR BEHIND!!!!  :lol

Sorry guys.  I just started a brand new job at the beginning of the year.  FINALLY got out of the construction trade and into an inspector position for a local municipality.   BEST job I've ever had...but I'm neck deep in training.   I'm cramming on building codes like a first year law student, and I think I've hit the point of saturation.   But I digress...

73. Prime Mover - Me #37

This has always been my favorite from HYF and was the only song from that album to make my top 50.  Love Alex's catchy guitar work, love the lyrics, love the chorus.  Definitely a highlight from a so-so album.

72. Open Secrets - Me (Did not rank.  Original 2 lists had it in the 140s)

Everyone here is calling this one a classic, and I don't get it.  I liked it when the album came out, but now I find it kinda klunky.   

71. Test for Echo - (Did Not Rank - but one list had it just inside the top 100)

I brag about this album all the time, but this is a great song that had too many better songs to compete against.   I stand by my claim that TFE has one of the best opening 5 of their entire catalog....but if I had to pick the least of those 5, it would be this one.

70. Fly By Night - (Did not rank.   Both lists had it in the mid-80s)

Both of these last two REALLY had me wishing this had been a top 100.  But this was an early favorite.   After I heard Tom Sawyer for the first time, I tried finding as much Rush as I could.  But AFTK and forward were all full priced albums, whereas Rush-COS were all available in the bargain bin.   And I had heard FBN on the radio, so it prompted me to pick this up and it became my second ever Rush album.   

69. Presto - (Did not rank)

Actually, this one hurts even more than the other two.  Because in both of my final lists from the engine, this song DID make it to the upper 60s.   But in my final collection of top 75 songs, I found a few songs that I truly loved that were just outside the top 75 and couldn't bear to see them not just a bit higher.  So to make room, I had to make some difficult choices with the bottom 10 of my top 75, and this was a song that fell victim to that.    I do love this song.  I think it was the first time I had heard Alex play an acoustic on a Rush album since Permanent Waves....and I loved it instantly. 

68. Countdown - Me #55

I just don't get the hate for this song at all.   Yes...it is not one of Neil's finer lyrical moments, and the "excitement so think you can cut it with a knife" is particularly cringe-worthy.   But there are a couple of gems.   "This magic day when super science mingles with the bright stuff of dreams" is quite good.   And the music is off the chart.   The mood building in the song is PERFECT for the subject matter.  And that ending riff would put me in front of a mirror with a tennis racket every time!

67. The Necromancer - Me #50

Definitely the highlight of CoS.   It doesn't get any better than this.  Worth the purchase price of the album all by itself.   And Dream Theater's cover was amazing.   There isn't a moment or a section of this song I don't think isn't wonderful just the way it is.   I even love the old school "panning" of the guitar solo in Under the Shadow.   No one ever does that anymore and I can't figure out why. 

66. Emotion Detector - (Did not rank - one list had it just inside the top 100)

I love every moment from the Power Windows album.   But I have to agree with the general consensus that this is the "least best".   Great chorus, and I love the actual lyrics themselves, but some of the verses end up sounding just a tad too "pretty".   

65. Everyday Glory - (Did not rank - another one where the two lists had it just inside and outside the top 100)

One of the better moments from Counterparts.   Beautiful ending to what was otherwise a pretty raw album. 

64. Show Don't Tell - (did not rank) :P

Same as Presto.  One list had it at 120 and the 2nd had it at 69.   But it was another really great song that just barely got bumped from my top 75 in a last minute reshuffle.   It was a great comeback after the keyboard burnout of HYF.   I remember hearing it on the radio a few days before the album came out, and everyone was praising the song because Rush was back to being a "rock" band.   Too bad the production never quite lived up to the punch.  But this song is a standout.

63. Something for Nothing - (did not rank the two lists had it at 140 and 132)

Loved it when I was 13.  And yes, the live version is FANTASTIC.   But it's actually a fairly repetitive song that gets really boring on repeated listens.   

62. Driven - Me #36

Now we're talking!!  What a BEAST!!!   My feelings about TFE and CP are completely summed up in the respective 2nd tracks.   When I heard that Rush was back to being "heavy" again, *this* was what I wanted to hear.    The improvement of the execution of heaviness with musicality hits full stride on this song.   I still want to crank it up every time I hear it.

61. Cut to the Chase - Me #35

Interesting that I also had this back to back on my list, though much higher.   My top rated CP song.  Probably Rush's most underrated song of all time.  Shame it never got played live. 

60. Cold Fire - Me #64

Well, at least if you guys were going to rank CP songs...you got the right ones!   :rollin
Seriously though.  Neil's insightful lyrics into the more realistic side of a long term relationship is a breath of fresh air, and Alex's riff is fantastic.   And the chorus is one of their better ones.  An earworm for the ages.

59. Bastille Day - Me #74

This was one of the songs that I just could not bear to see not make my list and first list had it at 76.   Sometimes I feel like I'm sick of it, but when that opening riff kicks in, I can't get enough of it.  Great opening for both the album, and on several tours to follow.

WHEW!!!!   I did it!! :xbones
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: March 07, 2022, 08:44:14 PM »
Congrats JD on the new job. What city are you working for?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #752 on: March 07, 2022, 08:55:24 PM »
I enjoy Cold Fire for the most part, aside from the very opening of the song. Alex's guitar during the first verse in particular is just absolutely dreamy - love it! And lyrically I appreciate this song, too. Ended up at #64 on my list, so pretty close to the general consensus. Funny thing about this song - I remember picking up a Rush bootleg (silver) back in late 92 or early 93 and IIRC, it was rumored that one of the songs on Rush's new album was gonna be called Cold Flame, so lo and behold, guess what the title of the bootleg was?  :lol

As for Bastille Day, it's an OK rocker, but there's many other songs that I prefer over it by a large margin. It's at #117 on my list. No surprise that I Think I'm Going Bald won't make the cut, but I am a little surprised that Lakeside Park didn't make the top 75 list. I actually prefer it to Bastille Day.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #753 on: March 07, 2022, 08:59:29 PM »
Cold Fire came in at 42 for me, and it’s a great track for sure. Some of Neil’s most intense drumming, especially on the pre-chorus and then again on the outro. Just a great concise rocker with some nice lyrics. Kind of similar to Emotion Detector thematically. Another great Lifeson solo, the whole band sounds great really.

Bastille Day missed my top 75 but was right on the bubble and would have likely been in the next 5-10 on a top 100. This is a fun rocker, but also has more of a proggy edge than most of what Rush had done before this.

Online The Realm

« Reply #754 on: March 07, 2022, 09:43:20 PM »

60 Cold Fire

59 Bastille Day

Cold fire - did not rank. It is a good song but suffers from Counterpoints syndrome for me (ie don't listen to this album).

Bastille Day - I had at 36. Awesome rocker.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #755 on: March 07, 2022, 09:55:08 PM »

Des Moines (Washington for those that didn’t know that we have a Des Moines as well.  ;D )

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: March 07, 2022, 09:58:52 PM »
We don't do any work that far south, just wondering if ever our professional lives might cross.

On topic, without looking, I don't think any of these songs made my Top 50; I doubt most of them made my list at all.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #757 on: March 07, 2022, 10:02:14 PM »
Just realized that I called Cut to the Chase my “top rated” CP song and then immediately placed Cold Fire one spot higher.  :facepalm: :loser: :rollin

To be honest, there were many runs of songs that I was copying directly from one or the other of my two lists, and if I had looked at this a bit closer, I would have swapped them because I honestly do like CTTC a bit more. But it is what it is now.

EDIT - OH WAIT! I was confusing my rankings with the final tally.

Ugh!!! I am so burnt out my brain is shutting down.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 10:09:24 PM by jammindude »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #758 on: March 07, 2022, 10:34:07 PM »

Des Moines (Washington for those that didn’t know that we have a Des Moines as well.  ;D )
That's not too far from where my wife grew up in Puyallup. She's still got family in Lakewood and up in Port Angeles.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: March 07, 2022, 10:35:04 PM »
I grew up in Lakewood, my parents still live there  :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #760 on: March 07, 2022, 10:42:24 PM »
I grew up in Lakewood, my parents still live there  :)
Nice! It's a cool little town. I remember there being some weird, wonky streets in Lakewood and between Lakewood and Tacoma.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #761 on: March 07, 2022, 10:47:01 PM »

That's not too far from where my wife grew up in Puyallup. She's still got family in Lakewood and up in Port Angeles.

Don’t want to pull another “Aussie/Kiss” derailment, but nice to see another with ties to the northwest.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: March 07, 2022, 11:25:37 PM »
As for Bastille Day, it's an OK rocker, but there's many other songs that I prefer over it by a large margin. It's at #117 on my list. No surprise that I Think I'm Going Bald won't make the cut, but I am a little surprised that Lakeside Park didn't make the top 75 list. I actually prefer it to Bastille Day.

Lakeside Park finished at 21 for me. Always loved it, particularly the fireworks display part.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #763 on: March 08, 2022, 12:33:24 AM »
Cold Fire (46) - has that nostalgic feel I like, always singing to the chorus, very catchy
Bastille Day (74) - great rocker
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #764 on: March 08, 2022, 04:27:51 AM »

60 Cold Fire

59 Bastille Day

Firstly, YES!!! Always more!

Cold Fire, not a ranker. Fun enough though, but certainly an intriguing song in the discography as a whole. Almost country, in a way.

Bastille Day, I’ve got it inside my top 20! Huge rocker, and I love that punk standard riff that kicks off under the solo. There’s no bread, so let them eat cake!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #765 on: March 08, 2022, 06:53:05 AM »
60 Cold Fire (-) - It isn’t, but it could have been easely between my Top 65 to 75. Indeed great vocal melodies in the entire song, which is remarkable.

59 Bastille Day (#20) – Well, it’s a Top 20 song for me, killer riffage and soloing by Lifeson, great and very energetic performance by the band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #766 on: March 08, 2022, 07:19:54 AM »

60 Cold Fire

59 Bastille Day

Cold Fire:  61
Bastile Day: 73

Bummed, though, to read that about Caress Of Steel. I don't like either Lakeside Park or I Think I'm Going Bald (even though it is an offhand Kiss reference), but Fountain of Lamneth is shockingly high on my list.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #767 on: March 08, 2022, 07:41:13 AM »

60 Cold Fire

59 Bastille Day

Cold Fire.  I have at as #32

Bastille Day as # 65
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #768 on: March 08, 2022, 07:47:18 AM »

Cold Fire:  61
Bastile Day: 73

Bummed, though, to read that about Caress Of Steel. I don't like either Lakeside Park or I Think I'm Going Bald (even though it is an offhand Kiss reference), but Fountain of Lamneth is shockingly high on my list.

I really like Lamneth too, even if I think it has at least one major flaw (The Panacea section). That main riff is great though. Kind of had to choose between it and The Necromancer for my list.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #769 on: March 08, 2022, 08:24:10 AM »

Out of curiosity, may I ask how high is "shockingly high"?  ;D