Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52845 times)

Online HOF

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #665 on: March 05, 2022, 01:21:44 PM »
I didn't rate either song. Emotion Detector would be in my Bottom 5 worst Rush songs...sorry HOF.

As it should be. Universe (or at least the DT forum) has to balance itself out.  :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: March 05, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
 “Why are we here?  Because we’re here.  Roll the bones.
Why does it happen?  Because it happens.  Roll the bones.”  Simply ‘ouch’.
Tthe rap part vocals reminded me of a Roger Taylor of Queen solo non album B side called ‘Two Sharp Pencils’  from ’84   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlxcVDGWc4s  (no idea wtf he was thinking on this as well).  With that said,

75 Roll the Bones (NR)

74 Double Agent (NR)

73 Prime Mover (#70)

72 Open Secrets (NR)

71 Test for Echo (#61)

70 Fly by Night (#12) Glad someone also had it in their Top 15.  I was going to be semi-snobbish and rate it lower.  It's a song from my HS days, with an intro that is widely recognized.  Good tempo changes, and one notices that the new drummer is pretty damn good. Even if one is tired of it, it deserves to be recognized for what it is, …a damn good memorable rock n roll song.  Hits help, and it helped me decide to see them in concert in ’77.

69 Presto (#18) From ‘Signals’ onwards, only 2-4 songs per album would stand out for me.  The rest just all kind of blended into ‘sameness’.  This song did not.  As to my often 'falling into affinity'  ;) for good pop songs, I fell for this one.  Or blame it on its tie in to the rabbits on the album cover.

68 Countdown (NR)

67 The Necromancer (NR)

66 Emotion Detector (NR)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 02:00:25 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #667 on: March 05, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »
I didn't rate either song. Emotion Detector would be in my Bottom 5 worst Rush songs...sorry HOF.

If this went to 100, The Necromancer would likely get in. I've just never warmed up to it. I love the last part, but it's just too much to get there.

I have to say this pretty much sums up me on these two songs as well.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #668 on: March 05, 2022, 03:28:51 PM »
67. The Necromancer (N/A).  Nothing from Caress of Steel made my top 75, but I feel like I should go back and listen to this one again.

66. Emotion Detector (31).  One of my favorite deep album cuts. I love Neil’s use of the electronic drums on this track, the synth patches, and Alex’s scorching guitar solo.  Such a cool song!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #669 on: March 05, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
67. The Necromancer (#74)  - Pretty much what Kev said, it's really a great song on CoS.

66. Emotion Detector (-) - I love the solo section (Pow is full of great ones!) and I truly like the rest of the song until the end, but I think the eletronic drum sound and programmed keyboard in the beggining of the song are really annoying (sorry, romdrums!) - it prevents me from liking the music more as a whole.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #670 on: March 05, 2022, 05:07:47 PM »
One of those guesses will be proven wrong quickly with today's two!

67 The Necromancer
Appeared on 12 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 15 (Puppies_On_Acid)

66 Emotion Detector
Appeared on 11 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 3 (HOF)

Necromancer appeared on my list at number 47, my highest ranked track from CoS. I love it. The three movements are quite distinct, and while the third is the most upbeat, I must admit that it’s the section between sections (after the By-Tor sounds) that always stood out the most to me, and inspired part of my upcoming EP.

Emotion Detector, finally a song appears on this list that doesn’t make me think “oh, I should’ve had this on mine”. This one is the only song off of PoW that didn’t warrant a place on my list. It’s basically the first filler song since Madrigal in 1977 for my ear.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 06:26:54 AM by Deadeye21 »
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online nick_z

« Reply #671 on: March 05, 2022, 05:44:45 PM »
The Necromancer (did not rank - outside of top 100)

This song actually grew on me over time, and it's my favorite of the two "epics" on CoS, but it never quite stuck with me. Some crazy stuff on it, though, and  the heavy riffage really IS heavy.

Emotion Detector (did not make top 75, I had it at #84)

The only song from Power Windows that didn't make my top 75, but I feel like it could (should?) have. I actually always enjoy listening to it and yes, the solo part is wonderful.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #672 on: March 05, 2022, 09:14:42 PM »
69 Presto
Highest Ranking: 13 (kingshmegland)

It feels like this song got the live bump, as it seemed like this song was rarely talked about until it got played on the Time Machine tour. I admittedly liked it more after seeing it live, although it still didn't crack my top 75.

I remember some degree of excitement upon hearing that Alex's acoustic guitar would make a return on Presto.  It's a fine song.  I had it at #60.

68 Countdown
Highest Ranking: 18 (Dream Team)

I had to admit that I was quite shocked at how much love this song got.  I like it, but always thought it was somewhat of an average ending to an otherwise fantastic record.  Feels like one of those songs where the end result didn't meet the ambition they had for it.

I'm honestly surprised someone ranked this song higher than I did.  I had it at #22.  I fucking LOVE this song.  I've loved it since the first day I saw the video on MTV back in '82 or '83.  It's possibly the biggest hole in my list of songs I never saw live.  I was really hoping it would make a return to the set list after the Challenger blew up, but no.

67 The Necromancer
Highest Ranking: 15 (Puppies_On_Acid)

This was a borderline top 10 Rush song for me when I was first a fan. I am still a big fan, but it settled in at 39 for me this time around. Rush has never rocked as hard as they did in the middle section of this song, and that ending section with Alex's glorious solo is magnificent.  The lyrics and spoken word bits are a bit silly, but musically this song is killer.

I'm a little surprised this song isn't higher.  I had it at #27, but I don't listen to it as much as I think I should.  It's unique and a really, really good song.  The progression from basic rock to scorching metal to uplifting ending works so very well.

66 Emotion Detector
Appeared on 11 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 3 (HOF)

This was the only song from Power Windows that did not appear in my top 75, and I have to admit to being a little surprised at how well it did here.  I didn't think it would make the list. 

I'm REALLY surprised this is here.  I had it at #84, but it's my #4 song on POW, and the top 3 made my top 75.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #673 on: March 06, 2022, 07:45:13 AM »
Let's do three today, shall we? ;)

65 Everyday Glory
Highest Ranking: 8 (Deadeye21)

I thought I'd be the high on this one, as I had it at 27, but that happily did not turn out to be the case.  Love the melodies in this one, that chorus is magnificent, and the "If the future's looking dark..." section features some of Neil's best lyrics ever.

64 Show Don’t Tell
Appeared on 15 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 17 (romdrums)

This one went unranked for me, but it got a lot of love in the rankings, appearing on 15 of the lists.  I like it, but it's not a terribly exciting song, even when listening to the live versions. 

63 Something for Nothing
Highest Ranking: 7 (Stadler)

As much as I love 2112 as a full album, this is one I always thought the fanbase overrated a little.  It's another I like, but do not love.  My least favorite song from 2112. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #674 on: March 06, 2022, 07:58:53 AM »
So I've been following along but it's been a busy week for me, so here's my first reply since the ranking posts began. Let's catch up on the bottom ten thirteen of the Top 75:

75 Roll the Bones - ranked 89th for me. I like it enough, but I guess not Top Half of Rush material.
74 Double Agent - ranked 113th. It's good, but I guess the sorter showed me I didn't like it all that much.
73 Prime Mover - ranked 61st. Very good song, one of the better ones off HYF.
72 Open Secrets - ranked 83rd. Another good one from HYF.
71 Test for Echo - ranked 104th. TFE was never my favorite Rush album, and as good as the title track is, I guess I didn't sort it highly.
70 Fly by Night - ranked 121st. Early Rush probably didn't get very far in my sorter ranking, though I do enjoy this one a bit.
69 Presto - ranked 85th. I'm surprised it landed in the overall top 75, but it's an enjoyable tune. I think the live bump definitely helped it.
68 Countdown - ranked 105th. I like it well enough, but I never got overly excited about this Signals closer.
67 The Necromancer - ranked 87th. A strong "epic" from early Rush, and probably my favorite track off COS. Surprised to see it so high!
66 Emotion Detector - ranked 30th. I wonder if the other 7 POW songs are ranked higher in this Top 75? I mean, I love Power Windows, soooooo...
65 Everyday Glory - ranked 76th for me. It just barely missed my Top 75, but it's a good closer from one of my favorite Rush albums.
64 Show Don't Tell - ranked 72nd. Probably one of the best tracks on Presto, a very good opener.
63 Something For Nothing - ranked 94th. As much as I enjoy "2112" the song, Side B was never really something I truly enjoyed, as good as this album closer is. Also, there have been quite a few album openers/closers so far...interesting.

Very interesting ranking so far, a very good spread across Rush's career from FBN up to TFE and only one album with two songs so far.

It'll be interesting to see how many of these Top 75 were songs that weren't played live by the band. So far, it looks like "Open Secrets", "Emotion Detector" and "Everyday Glory".

(As I was typing this, Kev threw out 65-63, so I've edited my post before posting it. lol)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #675 on: March 06, 2022, 08:02:46 AM »

65 Everyday Glory

I thought I'd be the high on this one, as I had it at 27, but that happily did not turn out to be the case.  Love the melodies in this one, that chorus is magnificent, and the "If the future's looking dark..." section features some of Neil's best lyrics ever.

64 Show Don’t Tell

63 Something for Nothing

So, I don’t actually have to give away where I ranked Everyday Glory, being that I am Deadeye21. But this js a straight up blast of positivity in a bleak world, and it always leaves me happy. And Geddy’s high notes on the “no matter what they say” sections are just beautiful.

Show Don’t Tell didn’t make my list. It honestly deserves to be this high though. Great riff, and after an atmospheric intro, you’re hit with Alex’s guitar with the most perfect riff to say “hey, did you know we brought back the guitars on this album?” Could’ve done with a bit more of a solo though, and some of the lyrics are a bit goofy, though it serves as a bit of a precursor to Test For Echo to me. Great quirky riff too.

Something for Nothing, I don’t rate it. Eh, it’s nice enough, but it’s not one that really pops up often for me. This song suffers for being the final track on 2112, since it not only follows the title track, but also follows after Lessons and Tears, where I kinda start to check out. It’s a solid rocker, but that’s about the best I can give it.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: March 06, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »
65 Everyday Glory (NR)  so many of the post 90s songs I have to listen to on ytube because I do not recognize the title.  I heard a lot of U2 in this one.

64 Show Don’t Tell (#25)  shows a bit more balls than other songs on 'Presto.

63 Something for Nothing (#49) because of the AtWaS live version, and the countless times hearing that album with others during my youth.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online nick_z

« Reply #677 on: March 06, 2022, 09:26:10 AM »
Everyday Glory (ranked #33)

Great song, fantastic melodies. Such a good closer for Counterparts. I always thought there was a bit of U2 influence in Lifeson's guitarwork during the verses, and it works so well. Love Geddy's vocals too.

Show Don't Tell (ranked #35)

As it turns out, this is my highest ranked song from Presto. Lots of cool stuff going on here, including Geddy's spotlight moment on the bass starting around 3:15

Something for Nothing (did not rank - outside of top 100)

This one never did much for me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #678 on: March 06, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »

65 Everyday Glory

64 Show Don’t Tell

This one went unranked for me, but it got a lot of love in the rankings, appearing on 15 of the lists.  I like it, but it's not a terribly exciting song, even when listening to the live versions. 

63 Something for Nothing

As much as I love 2112 as a full album, this is one I always thought the fanbase overrated a little.  It's another I like, but do not love.  My least favorite song from 2112.
Everyday Glory - This one ranked pretty high, #31, and for good reason. This song is so uplifting and triumphant!

Show Don't Tell - This one ended up at #42 for me. When I first heard this it was the drumming that immediately stood out to me. Neil beats the crap out of that snare drum, and not in a "Lars Ulrich I don't know what to do" kind of way. I was especially drawn to the live version on Different Stages, which is the definitive version of this song, imo.

Something For Nothing - This was the highest ranked song from Side B of 2112, but it didn't quite make the top 75, dropping in at #81. I really liked Side B when I was younger, but it hasn't aged well for me. This song was benefited by the live version on Different Stages and to a lesser degree on AtWaS.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #679 on: March 06, 2022, 11:16:30 AM »
Regarding Side 2 of 2112, while I was not surprised, I was a little bummed about not many others showing some love in their lists for The Twilight Zone and Tears, both of which made my top 75.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #680 on: March 06, 2022, 11:52:14 AM »
Not a super huge fan of Caress of Steel, so it's not surprising that nothing from it made my top 75, although The Necromancer just barely missed it by being #76. To be honest, I have come to appreciate this song more now than I did in the 80s and 90s because of DT's cover of it. I still favor it over the original, but it has helped me to enjoy the original more than before.

Emotion Detector is definitely an underrated gem on PoW, IMO. This is another song that I loved from the very first listen and still love to this day. In particular I love build up of the entire intro of the song up to the beginning of the first verse as well as the powerful anthemic chorus. It made it to #17 on my list.

As much as I love Counterparts, Everyday Story is one of the songs that has never clicked with me, and therefore ended up at #140 on my list.

Show Don't Tell is a decent enough song, but the awkwardness of the opening riff never sat really well with me even though the rest of the song is great. I'd rate it probably in the bottom third of the album and as such ranked only at #118 for me.

OTOH, I absolutely love Something For Nothing, especially the live versions on both AtWaS and the 1978 show that was released with the 40th anniversary version of AFtK. So energy! So powah! A fiery way to end 2112. It ranked it at #31.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online HOF

« Reply #681 on: March 06, 2022, 01:03:02 PM »
Love Everyday Glory. It’s up at 16 on my list, and the 4th highest album closer. Great energy musically. Has sort of a pensive yet triumphant lyric. Just hits all the right notes to close out a great album. “Though we live in trying times, we’re the ones who have to try.” Certainly appropriate these days. One of several Rush songs that has a tendency to put a lump in my throat.

Show Don’t Tell was at 47 for me. It’s a fun song and kind of unique in terms the funkiness of the rhythm part (at least at the time. Feels like they kind of went back there on Roll the Bones and Caravan). Sets the tone for what was a very different and unique album, with those airy guitar tones in the verses and faint keyboards. Chorus is kind of an oddball too, but like a lot of Presto, is somehow works for me.

Something for Nothing was not on my list, probably wouldn’t have made a top 100 either. Just not a song (or album) I’ve ever cared for or listened to very much.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #682 on: March 06, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »
Everyday Glory - I didn't rank this. I rarely listen to Counterparts and as this is the last song, I probably struggle to get to it often. It is nice enough I guess.

Show Don't Tell - I ranked at 63. It is a fun song with some great drumming.

Something for Nothing - I ranked at 21. I love this song, it could have been higher. I'm a huge fan of 2112 album as a whole but something is telling me not everyone else is?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #683 on: March 06, 2022, 02:26:41 PM »
65 Everyday Glory

64 Show Don’t Tell

63 Something for Nothing

I had Everyday Glory at #71, though it probably deserves a slightly better position on my list. I think it's a really enjoyable song.

I had Show Don't Tell at #53. It starts Presto of with a nice punch. And no synths!

I had Something For Nothing at #14. I love this song. Nice job Stadler putting this in the Top 10. It wasn't far off on my list. This has always been one of my favorite Rush songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #684 on: March 06, 2022, 02:28:49 PM »
Something for Nothing - I ranked at 21. I love this song, it could have been higher. I'm a huge fan of 2112 album as a whole but something is telling me not everyone else is?

Early on in my discovery of Rush, 2112 really put me off of early Rush. I only really knew their radio material and a couple of the later albums at that point, and I could not handle banshee Geddy Lee. It took me a long time to circle back to their 70s material, and it’s still not my favorite era.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #685 on: March 06, 2022, 02:38:01 PM »
65 Everyday Glory (-); 63 Something for Nothing (-) - good songs - Something for Nothing is clearly more memorable than Everyday Glory, it's just that Rush has better songs in their body of work.

64 Show Don’t Tell (67) - Really good song - at the time, it was great to hear Lifeson's guitar a bit more dominant again, with some heavy parts. The bass solo in this song is amazing!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #686 on: March 06, 2022, 02:55:22 PM »
65 Everyday Glory

This is a hugely underrated song which, unfortunately, never got played live.  Geddy's vocal performance was a definite highlight.  I had it at #34.

64 Show Don’t Tell

#65 for me.  Good but not great.  I dig the main riff.

63 Something for Nothing

If I had done my rankings in 1985, I'd have probably had this in the top 10.  This time, I had it at #67.  It's good; not great.  Surprised that less than half of the entries had it ranked.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online nick_z

« Reply #687 on: March 06, 2022, 06:00:10 PM »
65 Everyday Glory

This is a hugely underrated song which, unfortunately, never got played live.  Geddy's vocal performance was a definite highlight.  I had it at #34.

Ha! I didn't know that...which Counterparts songs never got played live? This one, then I guess Speed of Love, and...anything else...?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #688 on: March 06, 2022, 06:05:20 PM »
65 Everyday Glory

Ha! I didn't know that...which Counterparts songs never got played live? This one, then I guess Speed of Love, and...anything else...?
Cut to the Chase and Alien Shore were also never played live, unfortunately.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: March 06, 2022, 06:16:29 PM »
Why they never dragged out Cut to the Chase is quite baffling to me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #690 on: March 06, 2022, 06:20:34 PM »

Early on in my discovery of Rush, 2112 really put me off of early Rush. I only really knew their radio material and a couple of the later albums at that point, and I could not handle banshee Geddy Lee. It took me a long time to circle back to their 70s material, and it’s still not my favorite era.

Yeah,  I get that and can see how the 'banshee' Geddy doesn't appeal to all however I actually love the vocals on 2112. Geddy in general can be an acquired taste but I personally find this style the most appealing. Having said that though, I also love most of his later vocals too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #691 on: March 06, 2022, 06:23:50 PM »
It's a year old, but here's MP and JP on The Prog Report choosing the ultimate Rush compilation album..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7VDF457u7w
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #692 on: March 06, 2022, 06:28:10 PM »
Too long to watch again.

Can someone sum up what their picks were?

Online nick_z

« Reply #693 on: March 06, 2022, 06:28:21 PM »
It's a year old, but here's MP and JP on The Prog Report choosing the ultimate Rush compilation album..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7VDF457u7w

I had this one saved, and realized just now I never got around to watching it. Thanks for the reminder!  :tup

Offline romdrums

« Reply #694 on: March 06, 2022, 07:02:59 PM »

65 Everyday Glory

64 Show Don’t Tell

63 Something for Nothing

65. Everyday Glory (23). LOVE this song.  As my signature states.

64. Show Don’t Tell (17).   One of the first songs I heard from Rush when I was a kid, and Presto was the first album of theirs I purchased.  Also, one of my favorites to play on drums.

63. Something for Nothing (N/A).  Didn’t make my list, but I don’t listen to 2112 that much outside of the title track and Bangkok.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #695 on: March 06, 2022, 07:07:08 PM »
65. Everyday Glory (23). LOVE this song.  As my signature states.

Stadler wrote Everyday Glory?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #696 on: March 06, 2022, 07:11:35 PM »
Show Don't Tell #42 for me.

Something For Nothing is #58 for me.

Everyday Glory not in my 75 but it's close.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #697 on: March 06, 2022, 07:28:58 PM »
All things considered, it is kind of surprising that Show Don't Tell was never brought back on one of the tours in the 21st century.  Granted, it did get played on three tours in the 90s, so it's not like it didn't get its fair shake, unlike Test for Echo, which was the only Track 1 from a Rush studio album to get the one tour and done treatment.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #698 on: March 06, 2022, 07:29:41 PM »
Apparently, the test revealed no echo.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #699 on: March 06, 2022, 08:13:28 PM »
Why they never dragged out Cut to the Chase is quite baffling to me.
That and Alien Shore are the best two songs on CP, IMO. A real tragedy that neither of them was ever played. Was really hoping for one of those two to get aired on the R40 tour, but sadly they dragged out Animate yet again (which is a decent song, but overplayed).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.