Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52792 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #560 on: March 03, 2022, 11:44:47 AM »
Today's two are from the same album!

73 Prime Mover
Appeared on 12 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 10 (Stadler)

This is on my "I can't believe this only got played on one tour" list. Such a great song.  I had it at 41, and it's another that feels like it could have been 10 spots higher if you had asked me where to rank a few years ago.

72 Open Secrets
Appeared on 11 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 17 (Tomislav95)

This is another that I feel like I underrated, as I had it at 60.  The bridge really stands out.  This is the first of seven songs to make the top 75 that Rush never played live.

Yeesh...I've made no secret that HYF right at the bottom of my album rankings (I think only above RTB).

I had Open Secrets at 98 and Prime Mover at 137.  I could never understand why the band seemed to like PM and was SHOCKED years later to learn that it's something of a fan favorite.  I'm very happy it never returned to the set list after the HYF tour.  Open Secrets is decent but not at all great.  Part of a series of songs on that album that "just lie there and don't do anything interesting."

So...that's 3 of 4 songs so far that came nowhere near my top 75.   :biggrin:

Alright, let's slip in two more this morning...

71 Test for Echo
Appeared on 15 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 26 (devieira73)

This was unranked for me, but I do like the song, and consider it one of the better songs from what I consider a bottom 3 Rush album.  It is one of two songs from the album that made the top 75.

70 Fly by Night
Appeared on 13 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 12 (DragonAttack)

Considering what a classic rock radio mainstay this was and still is, I always found it interesting that the band ignored it since the 70s in the live sets.  It's another I like, but can't say I love. That bass line is killer, though.  It's the first of three from the album of the same name.

Now we're getting somewhere.  I had T4E at #59.  It's a solid track.  I really liked the main riff when it first came out, but it's a bit garbled.  Fly by Night just missed my top 75, coming in at #82.  In retrospect, if I had it to do over again, I might do a bit of re-arranging of songs 70-85.  Not sure FBN would make the top 75, but seeing it come in at #70 is pretty reasonable.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrMike

« Reply #561 on: March 03, 2022, 12:07:39 PM »
I'm a little shocked that FBN rated so low.  It ended up #13 on my list.  Very catchy and singable song with a great Alex guitar lead.  Even this early in their formation, the perfect chemistry between the three guys in terms of performance is undeniable.

In general, I'm more of a "bare bones" Rush fan, meaning I prefer just guitar/bass/drums with moderately used keys or snyths.  That's mainly why 71-75 didn't rank for me, although I do like Double Agent enough that it probably should have.  HYF and TFE are among my least favorite albums with only 2 songs from the albums combined making my list.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:12:59 PM by MrMike »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: March 03, 2022, 01:32:49 PM »
Test for Echo was 41 for me.  FBN didn't rank.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online HOF

« Reply #563 on: March 03, 2022, 02:03:33 PM »
I'm a little shocked that FBN rated so low.  It ended up #13 on my list.  Very catchy and singable song with a great Alex guitar lead.  Even this early in their formation, the perfect chemistry between the three guys in terms of performance is undeniable.

Color me surprised by this too. Obviously there are a ton of songs to choose from, so things are gonna get squeezed out, but this is a classic cut that really seems to show the band at the top of their game with Neil joining the band. That album as a whole is not one of my favorites, and I wonder if this song kind of gets a little forgotten because of the album it’s on? Whatever the case, I think it’s just a really great tune.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #564 on: March 03, 2022, 02:04:44 PM »
71 Test for Echo

70 Fly by Night

I had Test For Echo at #57. It's a decent enough song. I enjoy it.

I had Fly By Night at #74. They just have so many more interesting songs. It's catchy and all, but..that's all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #565 on: March 03, 2022, 02:47:07 PM »

71 Test for Echo

70 Fly by Night

Test for Echo - I had this at 60. I like the song and it has a really cool vibe.

Fly by Night - I had this at 72. Even so I'm also a little surprised it didn't rank higher. Great bass line and it is a really catchy rock song.

So far, there are no real outliers to my own list but I know they are coming!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #566 on: March 03, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »

Color me surprised by this too. Obviously there are a ton of songs to choose from, so things are gonna get squeezed out, but this is a classic cut that really seems to show the band at the top of their game with Neil joining the band. That album as a whole is not one of my favorites, and I wonder if this song kind of gets a little forgotten because of the album it’s on? Whatever the case, I think it’s just a really great tune.

I would take Fly By Night over Caress of Steel any day.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #567 on: March 03, 2022, 03:25:07 PM »

Oh hell yes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #568 on: March 03, 2022, 03:32:34 PM »

This is another way that Rush is like Kiss; both bands have pretty good 2nd and 3rd albums, but for both bands, the better ALBUM is the 2nd album ("Hotter Than Hell", "Fly By Night") even if the best SONG is on the third album ("She" and "The Fountain Of Lamneth").  I think in both cases there was one classic album across the two records, but at the time, you put out an album every six months and toured the shit out of it.  That's what you did. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #569 on: March 03, 2022, 03:35:45 PM »

This is another way that Rush is like Kiss; both bands have pretty good 2nd and 3rd albums, but for both bands, the better ALBUM is the 2nd album ("Hotter Than Hell", "Fly By Night") even if the best SONG is on the third album ("She" and "The Fountain Of Lamneth").  I think in both cases there was one classic album across the two records, but at the time, you put out an album every six months and toured the shit out of it.  That's what you did.

That is Fake News, brother.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: March 03, 2022, 03:45:32 PM »
Did you expect anything different?   :)

Honest question, what are your favs from those records?   "She" is a top 10 Kiss song overall, actually.  Maybe even top 5.

I'm addicted to the Ranker now; I might have to do a "Kiss songs ranking".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #571 on: March 03, 2022, 04:02:57 PM »

I'm addicted to the Ranker now;

I know, right?  :lol

I did my Maiden albums yesterday, but forgot to post them.

Honest question, what are your favs from those records?   "She" is a top 10 Kiss song overall, actually.  Maybe even top 5.

My Top 5 from the first three KISS albums..

1. Black Diamond
2. Strange Ways
3. Let Me Go Rock n Roll
4. Rock Bottom
5. C'Mon And Love Me

You?

Online HOF

« Reply #572 on: March 03, 2022, 04:11:34 PM »

Ironically, I prefer Caress of Steel as a whole, though there isn’t a song on there that I like as much as Fly By Night (the title track).

Offline The Realm

« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »

I'm addicted to the Ranker now;

1. Black Diamond
2. Strange Ways
3. Let Me Go Rock n Roll
4. Rock Bottom
5. C'Mon And Love Me

You?

Surely this is the wrong thread but where is 100,000 years?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #574 on: March 03, 2022, 04:28:03 PM »
You know what..I did that quickly. The first two are set in stone.100,000 Years would be right there too. That and the 5 I listed would be the Top 6. It could be anywhere from 3-6.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #575 on: March 03, 2022, 04:34:48 PM »
Cool, yeah I am not sure it is that easy! Quick story, I actually used to perform as Gene Simmons in a Kiss tribute band (full costume, make up, fire breathing, blood spitting etc...) today though I very rarely listen to Kiss.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #576 on: March 03, 2022, 04:50:19 PM »
Ugh, can we not pollute this thread with Kiss talk? That will make me want to post the rest of the top 75 all at once just to end the thread.  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: March 03, 2022, 04:53:59 PM »
Sorry Kev, but I was asked a direct question...

I did too; let's post them.

1. Black Diamond
2. Strange Ways
3. Let Me Go Rock n Roll
4. Rock Bottom
5. C'Mon And Love Me

You?

1. She
2. Deuce
3. Let Me Go, Rock And Roll
4. Cold Gin
5. Goin' Blind

6, 7, and 8 are 100,000 Years, Parasite, and Black Diamond in no particular order.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #578 on: March 03, 2022, 04:55:40 PM »
Gonna be hard for me to post updates in this thread then if I have to actively avoid it.  :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: March 03, 2022, 04:56:37 PM »
Cool, yeah I am not sure it is that easy! Quick story, I actually used to perform as Gene Simmons in a Kiss tribute band (full costume, make up, fire breathing, blood spitting etc...) today though I very rarely listen to Kiss.

That's really cool!!  What part of the country?  Ever play in the Northeast?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #580 on: March 03, 2022, 04:59:33 PM »
Okay, someone PM me when the Kiss talk is done and I will resume updates.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #581 on: March 03, 2022, 05:02:31 PM »

Yeah, that's interesting!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 03, 2022, 05:03:16 PM »
Gonna be hard for me to post updates in this thread then if I have to actively avoid it.  :lol :lol

Sorry, boss; I'll stop.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #583 on: March 03, 2022, 05:07:06 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: March 03, 2022, 05:10:10 PM »
Geddy has a Yes shirt on, cool.   Does that mean that Neil and Ace were off doing crosswords together?  Or coke? 

And even though Peter's a tool on wheels, at least he's giving the finger correctly.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #585 on: March 03, 2022, 05:18:17 PM »

I'm actually from Australia, so played around Australia and also New Zealand.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2022, 05:32:46 PM »

Awesome to meet a fellow Aussie on here! Which state are you in?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2022, 06:07:31 PM »

Nice one. I'm from Melbourne.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2022, 06:46:50 PM »
Come on guys!!  There IS a Kiss thread for this!! :loser:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #589 on: March 03, 2022, 07:07:06 PM »
71 Test for Echo

70 Fly by Night

Test for Echo - This climbed all the way up to #33 on my list. I love the feel of this song and the drumming is just phenomenal throughout the song. I'm constantly picking up new things that Neil does on the drums almost every time I listen to it.

Fly by Night - This came in at #91. It's a good song, but it's way overplayed. Besides there are 90 other Rush songs that are better  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: March 04, 2022, 03:21:18 AM »

Nice one. I'm from Melbourne.

Excellent, we're taking over.  About fucking time!  Brissie boy right here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #591 on: March 04, 2022, 04:33:31 AM »
Wow this is so… Aussome.

Get it?

Sorry…

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: March 04, 2022, 05:08:56 AM »
Has anyone messaged Kev? :lol

Fly By Night? 39 for me. I'd definitely have ranked it higher had I run the ranking engine more than once. Love the guitar textures.

78 for Test for Echo. It's okay.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: March 04, 2022, 05:24:18 AM »
Wow this is so… Aussome.

Get it?

Sorry…

Jesus.....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #594 on: March 04, 2022, 05:38:58 AM »
H.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC