Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52836 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #490 on: March 01, 2022, 08:08:30 PM »
Let's start with two tonight and I will play it by ear as to how many I will feature each day...

75 Roll the Bones
Appeared on 10 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 18 (nick_z)

74 Double Agent
Appeared on 12 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 19 (DAT)

Roll The Bones - I had this at 59. I like this song and the rap doesn't bother me too much.

Double Agent - I didn't rank this. I'm not a fan of the voice over but musically it is a good song with some really cool things going on.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #491 on: March 01, 2022, 08:10:58 PM »
#75. Roll the Bones - Me #60

I loved it, then I got sick of it, and then when I saw some live performances much later, I realized what a fun song it is. I wouldn’t want to listen to it all the time, but I love the riff, the chorus, and yes…even the rap section. One of Rush’s better “accessible” songs.

#74. Double Agent - Me - Did not rank. My two original lists both had it in the mid-140’s.

I always thought this song was a mess. The spoken word thing is ok I guess, and the riff is ok. But I just don’t think it works at all. Like Stick It Out, I felt like this was Rush trying a bit too hard to remain relevant after the grunge explosion.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #492 on: March 01, 2022, 08:27:09 PM »
#74. Double Agent - Me - Did not rank. My two original lists both had it in the mid-140’s.

I always thought this song was a mess. The spoken word thing is ok I guess, and the riff is ok. But I just don’t think it works at all. Like Stick It Out, I felt like this was Rush trying a bit too hard to remain relevant after the grunge explosion.
Unlike Stick it Out, I don't hear much if any grunge influence in Double Agent.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #493 on: March 01, 2022, 08:28:48 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. I never heard a chorus like that on a Nirvana album. I actually think Double Agent is one of the most interesting songs they have ever done. It's so different.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #494 on: March 01, 2022, 08:38:56 PM »
The whole CP album had several places where they realized that “heavy” was cool again and they had to try and tell the world, “Hey! We can be heavy too! Look at how heavy we are! GRRRRRR! Don’t you see how heavy we are? GRRRR!!! Aren’t you impressed at our overwhelming heaviness? GRRRRR!!!!”

EDIT - TO ME. I understand I’m in the minority on this one. But it’s why I feel TFE is so much better. After getting CP out of their system, they “settled down” into who they really were as a heavy band again. It felt like they found themselves and their own brand of heavy instead of putting on a display.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: March 01, 2022, 08:42:26 PM »
The whole CP album had several places where they realized that “heavy” was cool again and they had to try and tell the world, “Hey! We can be heavy too! Look at how heavy we are! GRRRRRR! Don’t you see how heavy we are? GRRRR!!! Aren’t you impressed at our overwhelming heaviness? GRRRRR!!!!

I think you were watching too much Home Improvement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #496 on: March 01, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »
The whole CP album had several places where they realized that “heavy” was cool again and they had to try and tell the world, “Hey! We can be heavy too! Look at how heavy we are! GRRRRRR! Don’t you see how heavy we are? GRRRR!!! Aren’t you impressed at our overwhelming heaviness? GRRRRR!!!!”

EDIT - TO ME. I understand I’m in the minority on this one. But it’s why I feel TFE is so much better. After getting CP out of their system, they “settled down” into who they really were as a heavy band again. It felt like they found themselves and their own brand of heavy instead of putting on a display.
Hmm, this is all subjective, but again I think Stick it Out is really the only example of them being heavy for heaviness sake. Overall I find Test for Echo heavier than Counterparts. In my humble opinion.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #497 on: March 01, 2022, 08:49:21 PM »
There are definitely high points on CP that I absolutely love, but I don’t want to get into spoiler territory. Suffice to say that I had an equal number of songs from CP and TFE in the top 75, but about half of CP didn’t make my top 100, and a couple were very near the absolute bottom.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #498 on: March 01, 2022, 08:51:29 PM »
There are definitely high points on CP that I absolutely love, but I don’t want to get into spoiler territory. Suffice to say that I had an equal number of songs from CP and TFE in the top 75, but about half of CP didn’t make my top 100, and a couple were very near the absolute bottom.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: March 01, 2022, 09:27:38 PM »
^
I understand the shorthand.

I mean, I dug TMOTBQ, FOTW, ITLOTG and ITLOTG...R, as well as CLTCL and DOTL and BR and BR.  Oops, thought I was on a Queen forum ;)

Spock here:  I find it fascinating that the first two rated songs weren't listed by over 50% of the respondents.  I'll bet there were a few songs that didn't make the DT Top 100 where 2/3 of the people did rate them.  This is going to be 'quirky' (for lack of a better term).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #500 on: March 01, 2022, 10:07:23 PM »
Let's start with two tonight and I will play it by ear as to how many I will feature each day...

75 Roll the Bones

74 Double Agent
Appeared on 12 of 25

Roll the Bones is probably my number 76 choice - in all fairness, it’s a great song, but if we’re ranking studio performances only, it’s a little lifeless without the audience. The Bones Rap is such a fun little oddity in Rush history that it’s very notable. Glad this was represented again on R40.

Double Agent was my number 74. To be fair, I think it probably should’ve ranked a lot higher. Always thought it had an ill-fitting title, I’d have called it “The Edge of Sleep”. Spoken vocal, an intriguing story, and a chaotic instrumental supporting it’s story. Almost want to amend my list now, but ot definitely deserves to be here.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #501 on: March 02, 2022, 01:11:18 AM »
Neither of those made my top 75. Both are fine, especially Double agent but I don't like the spoken parts. Surprised by Roll the bones, though it's pretty hated among Rush fans.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: March 02, 2022, 03:35:44 AM »
Double Agent is 68 on my list while Roll the Bones is a respectable 36. I really like it. But I was a late starter with Rush, only really finally getting them in the mid-00s, so I'd have missed all the wailing and gnashing of teeth!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: March 02, 2022, 03:48:42 AM »
I think I had RTB somewhere around the 30 mark.  One if the first Rush songs I heard and always loved it.  Great chorus.

Didn't rank DA, never really cared for it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #504 on: March 02, 2022, 06:24:36 AM »
Both songs didn't rank in my Top 75, but I do think Double Agent is really cool, it could have been there - at the time, it reminded me, in parts, like something that could came directly from Hemispheres. Roll the Bones is not bad - indeed it has a very good melody in the chorus and a beautiful (although a bit short) guitar solo, but surely isn't one of my favorites from the album.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 06:39:07 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: March 02, 2022, 06:28:11 AM »
I think RTB was either the last song on my list or near the bottom. I really, really dislike RTB, it's almost at the same level as my hatred for "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #506 on: March 02, 2022, 07:00:20 AM »
RTB wasn't on my list.  I've never really liked that song, and I thought they overplayed it live.  Double Agent has always been one of my favorites from Counterparts, and it ended up at 55 for me.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #507 on: March 02, 2022, 07:07:40 AM »
Adding about RTB, I also think it would be better the instrumental beneath the spoken part was louder, with the words complementing the instrumentation (it's really cool what Lifeson is doing there!) - not the other way round, like actually happens in the song.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/27)
« Reply #508 on: March 02, 2022, 09:26:49 AM »
Funny - I was under the impression you all were speaking about the bottom bottom, as in #161-170.

Same here.

That's certainly what I meant. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: March 02, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »

I was thinking the same thing. I never heard a chorus like that on a Nirvana album. I actually think Double Agent is one of the most interesting songs they have ever done. It's so different.

That's exactly me.  I thought Double Agent was a throwback to an earlier era.  It's one of the more progressive songs in that way.  I love the different parts and how they fit together.  For me, this song was #28 on my list.   I really like Counterparts, and this is one of the better, more interesting ones from that album.  I will also go out on a limb and say this is one of Neil's better lyrics - I view it as a man conflicted between his good side and bad side; the angel and the devil on his shoulders, if you will - and flat out, Alex's BEST solo.

Roll The Bones is a different story; it's #159160* on my list, and while I'll sort of cop to it being symbolic, this is a song that embodies an album that I don't really care for, and not only that, it harkens back to another album I don't really care for.  RtB to me could be on p/g and that's not a compliment.  I don't HATE the rap section; in fact I sort of like it, and while some of it is cringe-y, some of it is clever too.  I just don't like the record and, as title track, this is emblematic of that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 08:06:08 AM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #510 on: March 02, 2022, 09:57:18 AM »

Roll The Bones is a different story; it's #159 on my list, and while I'll sort of cop to it being symbolic, this is a song that embodies an album that I don't really care for.  I don't HATE the rap section; in fact I sort of like it, and while some of it is cringe-y, some of it is clever too.  I just don't like the record and, as title track, this is emblematic of that.

I'm with you on the album. I thought it was way beneath them. But the song is fun and catchy enough.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #511 on: March 02, 2022, 10:13:11 AM »

75 Roll the Bones

I was pleasantly surprised that this made the top 75. I had it at 42.  I know some dislike it, but I have always loved it.  I still know the rap by heart.  :coolio

74 Double Agent

Another longtime favorite of mine, I had this at 29.  Not sure Rush ever got this dark again in their later years with that kind of vibe, but they did it really well.  That song kicked my ass the first time I heard it, and still does.

Gotta say I'm a little shocked that RTB made the top 75.  It's at #159 for me (out of 166*).  It's the second worst song on the band's worst album.  Unfortunately, it got played A LOT.

Double Agent, on the other hand, came in at #53 on my rankings.  So many cool elements combined into a single song.  Great guitar throughout.  Heavy riffing.  The spoken word part is oddly cool.  The "wilderness of mirrors" melody is super cool.  Being the #53 Rush song is not a bad thing at all, and this is a super underrated song.  Unfortunately, it never returned to the set list after the Counterparts tour.

* - The 166 songs I ranked included every song on the 19 studio albums plus Broon's Bane.  I didn't include the stuff from Feedback or the proto-Rush songs like Garden Road (mostly because none of them had any chance of making the top 75, and including them would make the process take longer).

That's exactly me.  I thought Double Agent was a throwback to an earlier era.  It's one of the more progressive songs in that way.  I love the different parts and how they fit together.  For me, this song was #28 on my list.   I really like Counterparts, and this is one of the better, more interesting ones from that album.

Same.  I generally don't like grunge and don't hear that at all in the song.  Although I don't agree, I can understand Ben's "mess" comment.  Like Bill, I just think the various sections fit together really well.

Roll The Bones is a different story; it's #159 on my list, and while I'll sort of cop to it being symbolic, this is a song that embodies an album that I don't really care for.  I don't HATE the rap section; in fact I sort of like it, and while some of it is cringe-y, some of it is clever too.  I just don't like the record and, as title track, this is emblematic of that.

What are the odds?!  And, while "hate" seems like too strong of a word, I REALLY dislike the rap section.  It's one of the more embarrassing/"what were they thinking" moments in Rush's catalog.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: March 02, 2022, 10:19:08 AM »
Haha, maybe I'm more lenient of the rap section because my hockey team used to take the ice to "All Hell's Breakin' Loose" by Kiss.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #513 on: March 02, 2022, 10:38:18 AM »
I think you guys take it too seriously. It's tongue and cheek.  It works well in the song.  Fans respond well to it lve.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

« Reply #514 on: March 02, 2022, 11:22:46 AM »
I think you guys take it too seriously. It's tongue and cheek.  It works well in the song.  Fans respond well to it lve.

Yeah, I think Rush have a sense of humor that pervades kind of their whole catalog. If you can’t get on board with something like the RTB “rap,” you’re probably not going to like a big chunk of their stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #515 on: March 02, 2022, 11:30:18 AM »
Haha, maybe I'm more lenient of the rap section because my hockey team used to take the ice to "All Hell's Breakin' Loose" by Kiss.

I know it's tongue in cheek, but that doesn't make it good.

I also think the difference between the RTB "rap" and the spoken word bits in AHBL (along with those in Double Agent) is entirely in the execution.  I'm not much of a KISS fan, but AHBL is one of my favorites.

And I like the bulk of Rush's catalog.  I do not, however, seem to share a chunk of their sense of humor.  I found most of the "funny" videos they did over the last 10 years of their career to be downright stupid.  Fortunately, that didn't usually pervade the music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: March 02, 2022, 12:05:50 PM »
They do gravitate to a sort of "Three Stooges" humor, which I largely do not share.  Having said that, though, some of the bits and pieces on the various DVDs are - or can be - pretty funny.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #517 on: March 02, 2022, 01:15:38 PM »
There are two kinds of people. Those who get “the bag” (Ace), and those who don’t get “the bag” (Gene).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #518 on: March 02, 2022, 03:21:33 PM »
There are two kinds of people. Those who get “the bag” (Ace), and those who don’t get “the bag” (Gene).
Gotta love the bag!   :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykGIq_fBa3U
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #519 on: March 02, 2022, 06:06:15 PM »
Today's two are from the same album!

73 Prime Mover
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 10 (Stadler)

This is on my "I can't believe this only got played on one tour" list. Such a great song.  I had it at 41, and it's another that feels like it could have been 10 spots higher if you had asked me where to rank a few years ago.

72 Open Secrets
Appeared on 11 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 17 (Tomislav95)

This is another that I feel like I underrated, as I had it at 60.  The bridge really stands out.  This is the first of seven songs to make the top 75 that Rush never played live.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #520 on: March 02, 2022, 06:32:20 PM »
73 Prime Mover
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 10 (Stadler)

72 Open Secrets
Appeared on 11 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 17 (Tomislav95)

I had Prime Mover at #66. I like the chorus. It's a pretty catchy tune.

I had Open Secrets as unrated. If this was a Top 100, it might've squeaked in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: March 02, 2022, 06:35:36 PM »
Open Secret was born from the guys jamming on soundchecks. It's on of my favorite album cuts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #522 on: March 02, 2022, 06:36:42 PM »
Open Secret was born from the guys jamming on soundchecks. It's on of my favorite album cuts.

Where did you rank it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: March 02, 2022, 06:38:59 PM »

Where did you rank it?

I don't remember. I'd have to turn on my computer. Lol

Edit: Found it. #47

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #524 on: March 02, 2022, 06:41:00 PM »
Interesting to have a pair from HYF back to back.

Primer Mover is decent enough, but never really grabbed me. Probably my second least favorite from the album behind Tai Shan. In all honesty, I do think that a newspaper review of HYF colored my view of this song that I've never shaken. Can't remember exactly what was said, but the reviewer complained about the lyrics being a bit obscure and I've never forgotten that. Still, I think I like just about everything else on this album better musically, too, which plays a bigger role in why it ended up ranking as #109 for me.

OTOH, I absolutely LOVE Open Secrets. It quickly became one of my favorites on HYF and has continued to be until this day. Such a shame they never played it live. For whatever reason (must be subconsciously), I've always connected to it lyrically, too. My highest ranking HYF track at #28.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.