Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52867 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/27)
« Reply #455 on: March 01, 2022, 08:20:22 AM »
I've always felt like I should like it more than I do. I just don't care for it.

I'm in this crowd too.  Just doesn't resonate (and I LIKE Fly By Night as an album).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #456 on: March 01, 2022, 09:06:06 AM »
I've always felt like I should like it more than I do. I just don't care for it.

I'm in this crowd too.  Just doesn't resonate (and I LIKE Fly By Night as an album).

Yes same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #457 on: March 01, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »
Anthem was played on the Roll the Bones tour, although it might have been part of the encore medley.

Not sure how setlist.fm calculates the songs that were played in medleys, but In the Mood has to be up there as well. That was played on practically every tour from the debut through Presto (but never played after that).

Yeah...it was part of a medley -- both on RTB and R30 (hence my reference to "non-medley plays").  In this case, setlist.fm has separate entries for Anthem and for "2112 Part I: Overture / Finding My Way / La Villa Strangiato / Anthem / Red Barchetta" and "Finding My Way / Anthem / Bastille Day / A Passage to Bangkok / Cygnus X-1 / Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude."

And you're right about In the Mood.  I completely overlooked it when I posted yesterday (I kind of had it in my head that WM would be the most played from the debut and didn't look to see if anything else was higher).  Setlist.fm shows it with 1,045 plays.  I'm sure a lot are the By-Tor/In the Mood/In the End/Grand Finale medley, but there's no separate listing for that.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrMike

« Reply #458 on: March 01, 2022, 11:32:52 AM »
I get that In The Mood is catchy and the audience seemed to like it as a "fun" ender to the Rush set.  But I've never cared for it and easily thought of 75 songs I like better.  To me, the lyrics are among the most embarrassing in the whole catalog.  Thank God Neil came along!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #459 on: March 01, 2022, 12:02:28 PM »
I get that In The Mood is catchy and the audience seemed to like it as a "fun" ender to the Rush set.  But I've never cared for it and easily thought of 75 songs I like better.  To me, the lyrics are among the most embarrassing in the whole catalog.  Thank God Neil came along!

If he hadn't, DT probably wouldn't exist, and people would be posting stuff on message boards like, "Anyone familiar with a Canadian band called Rush?  They had a couple albums in the mid-'70s.  Very derivative of Zeppelin, but they had a song called Working Man that was really good."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #460 on: March 01, 2022, 12:35:51 PM »
"They opened for Kiss a lot, and on their last album, they rocked these bad-assed kimonos! "

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #461 on: March 01, 2022, 03:05:56 PM »
I'd rather wait for everyone to post any of their lists or bottom 10s or whatever till I finish doing the countdown, which will start in a couple days.

Wait, do you actually want the bottom 10s?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #462 on: March 01, 2022, 03:19:12 PM »
I'd rather wait for everyone to post any of their lists or bottom 10s or whatever till I finish doing the countdown, which will start in a couple days.

75 through 65.  Kev wants to wait until they are through the reveals. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #463 on: March 01, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »

75 through 65.  Kev wants to wait until they are through the reveals.

I think my actual bottom 10-12 would make some folks rather upset.   :biggrin:

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2022, 04:21:00 PM »
Funny - I was under the impression you all were speaking about the bottom bottom, as in #161-170.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #465 on: March 01, 2022, 04:21:29 PM »
Funny - I was under the impression you all were speaking about the bottom bottom, as in #161-170.

Same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #466 on: March 01, 2022, 04:54:17 PM »

Same here.

I’ m pretty sure that was the idea, not 75-65.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #467 on: March 01, 2022, 05:46:13 PM »
That's how I took it too - and why I mentioned I actually didn't rank anything beyond 100...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: March 01, 2022, 06:08:50 PM »
Sorry. I thought you were talking about Kev.  Oops.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: March 01, 2022, 06:54:39 PM »
Okay, I will kick this off shortly.

Also, I want to give props to all 24 Rush fans who submitted lists to me.  Thanks again for participating!  :tup :tup

The top 75 will be based off of the lists from the 25 posters:

ReaperKK
Dream Team
jammindude
CoolChris
Stadler
The Realm
DragonAttack
The Letter M
HOF
TAC
Deadeye21
devieira73
nick_z
pg1067
DTA
romdrums
Puppies_On_Acid
wolfking
BRGM
nobloodyname
Setlist Scotty
MrMike
Tomislav95
kingshmegland
KevShmev

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #471 on: March 01, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »
Let's start with two tonight and I will play it by ear as to how many I will feature each day...

75 Roll the Bones
Appeared on 10 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 18 (nick_z)

I was pleasantly surprised that this made the top 75. I had it at 42.  I know some dislike it, but I have always loved it.  I still know the rap by heart.  :coolio

74 Double Agent
Appeared on 12 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 19 (DAT)

Another longtime favorite of mine, I had this at 29.  Not sure Rush ever got this dark again in their later years with that kind of vibe, but they did it really well.  That song kicked my ass the first time I heard it, and still does.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »

Online Dream Team

« Reply #473 on: March 01, 2022, 07:02:53 PM »
I’ll probably be the culprit for the situation when Kev says “highest ranking: dream team” and I’ll have forgotten how the song goes  :lol  :facepalm:. Oh well tried my best to assimilate a lot of songs in a short period of time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #474 on: March 01, 2022, 07:19:05 PM »
75 Roll the Bones
Appeared on 10 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 18 (nick_z)

74 Double Agent
Appeared on 12 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 19 (DAT)

I have Roll The Bones at #61. It's actually a pretty decent song. It'd rate much highwr without that ridiculous rap section.
I must say that RTB is one of the most dissappointed I've ever been in a Rush album. I thought Presto was so classy, but they followed it up with ..nothing really, save for a few cool tunes. This simply could not be the same band that recorded Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. WTF happened to them??

I had Double Agent at #40. This is a great tune with tons of character. Yeah, as Kev says, it's kinda dark. I love the chorus as it is juxtaposed to the verses. Oh, and Neil's drumming in the verses is incredible.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #475 on: March 01, 2022, 07:23:15 PM »
Roll the Bones - This one ended up at #150 on my list. It's not a terrible song, but if I never heard it again I wouldn't be upset. It's the lowest ranking song on that album for me. I am slightly surprised it made the overall top 75.

Double Agent - This one just barely squeaked into my list at #73, so 74 overall feels right. Kev's assessment is pretty much spot on, although I like quite a few other songs more. Neil has yet another tour de force drum workout in this song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #476 on: March 01, 2022, 07:24:50 PM »
Roll the Bones - This one ended up at #150 on my list. It's not a terrible song, but if I never heard it again I wouldn't be upset. It's the lowest ranking song on that album for me. I am slightly surprised it made the overall top 75.

Wow, you must hate this song because that album blows.

Offline DTA

« Reply #477 on: March 01, 2022, 07:27:06 PM »
Love both of these. Double Agent is a song that's really grown on me as of late, and I've always had a soft spot for RTB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #478 on: March 01, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »
Only seven Rush studio albums have more songs in the top 75 than Roll the Bones.

Okay, four other albums then also have the same amount as Roll the Bones, but still...:lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #479 on: March 01, 2022, 07:27:25 PM »
Roll the Bones (ranked #18)

ok - first song in the countdown, and I'm the highest ranker for it...not sure if this is what we'd call a "good start" or not  :biggrin:
Love this song. It's my second favorite on an album that I always enjoy putting on. Great performances by everyone and the rap section(s) is good fun.

Double Agent (ranked #37)

I'm a huge fan of Counterparts. There are a few songs on it that I ranked higher than Double Agent, but I like how this brings a bit of "crazy Rush" to the table, with aggressive riffing but also great melodies.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #480 on: March 01, 2022, 07:31:49 PM »

Wow, you must hate this song because that album blows.
Hate is a strong word. I'd say there are only 7 or 8 songs that I actively dislike in Rush's entire discography.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: March 01, 2022, 07:33:25 PM »

ok - first song in the countdown, and I'm the highest ranker for it...not sure if this is what we'd call a "good start" or not  :biggrin:
Love this song. It's my second favorite on an album that I always enjoy putting on. Great performances by everyone and the rap section(s) is good fun.
I'm disowning you as my long lost brother  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #482 on: March 01, 2022, 07:34:22 PM »

Pup, you need to get busy with the facts.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #483 on: March 01, 2022, 07:35:29 PM »

Pup, you need to get busy with the facts.
Don't make me kick some gluteus max  ;)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #484 on: March 01, 2022, 07:36:27 PM »
I think y'all need to get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2022, 07:40:28 PM »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2022, 07:46:35 PM »
Roll the Bones is a fine enough song - I remember I used to really like it when the album first came out, but over time, I got tired of it - especially when it seemed to keep reappearing in their setlists over and over and over again. That kinda ruined it for me in the same way that I really don't like The Spirit Carries On - overplayed by the band. The rap never really bothered me - lyrically it's pretty clever as you would expect from Neil. Would've been interesting if they would've gotten John Cleese to do the rap like I remember reading they had considered. For me the song ended up ranking at #122.

As for Double Agent, it's one of my favorites from CP which in turn is one of my favorite Rush albums - loved it from the first time I heard it, right up to the present. So glad they added it as a last minute edition. The only disappointing thing was that Geddy didn't do the spoken word lyrics live - never could understand why he didn't. This song ranked #20 for me (so almost made top ranking with DAT - whoever dat is!)  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online HOF

« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2022, 07:51:43 PM »
It’s kind of weird to be so against the Roll the Bones rap section but like Double Agent, which seems to have a similar tongue in cheek angle.

I have always liked Roll the Bones, rap and all. It came in at 41 on my list. I think the chorus is tremendous, and I remember hearing it on the radio at a relatively young age and really latching on to that part for whatever reason. Love the overall groove of the song.

Double Agent didn’t make my list, but it was given consideration for the range where it landed here. Would have probably been in my top 100 if we went that far, though the next 30-35 songs would have been a bit hard to differentiate. My brother and his friends made up a fictitious boy band called “So Tight” once, so that part always cracks me up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: March 01, 2022, 07:53:09 PM »
I think y'all need to get out there and rock and roll the bones.

Jack, relax.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #489 on: March 01, 2022, 07:55:31 PM »

:lol

Brothers wouldn't be brothers if they agreed on everything!  :biggrin: