Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52766 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/27)
« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2022, 07:20:46 AM »
I had actually forgotten to put Herr Again on my list somehow. I made the revision yesterday. It’s not really high but it’s on there.

That’s an early Schenker solo right there.

I'm slowly infecting you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #421 on: February 28, 2022, 07:26:31 AM »
I had actually forgotten to put Herr Again on my list somehow. I made the revision yesterday. It’s not really high but it’s on there.

See, I get that vibe as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: February 28, 2022, 09:10:31 AM »

I'm slowly infecting you.

Fucking cooties.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #423 on: February 28, 2022, 09:35:20 AM »
 :lol

Sent my list in yesterday to Kev.  I found ranking the top 30 easy.  The other songs were harder for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: February 28, 2022, 09:45:53 AM »
So - and I mean this constructively, and in good faith - when can we start sharing our BOTTOM ten?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #425 on: February 28, 2022, 10:34:48 AM »
Tai Shan didn't make my list, but I actually like that song. I do not get the hate for it, honestly.  It's not a popular opinion, but I think a fair number of people assume it's bad because the band have spoken poorly of it.

It's Rush's "You Not Me."  I swear 75% of the hate for that song is because MP dumped on it publicly.

Freudian slip?

Also, I believe it should be "Herr Wieder"...or maybe "Hier Wieder."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #426 on: February 28, 2022, 12:10:06 PM »
Tai Shan didn't make my list, but I actually like that song. I do not get the hate for it, honestly.  It's not a popular opinion, but I think a fair number of people assume it's bad because the band have spoken poorly of it.

Used Bin Radio-ism  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: February 28, 2022, 12:50:38 PM »

Used Bin Radio-ism  ;)

To this day, I miss that show.  I still hear Joe saying "dia-monded", and I often say "ten bucks is ten bucks!". 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #428 on: February 28, 2022, 12:57:32 PM »
What show are we talking about?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2022, 01:19:26 PM »
It's Rush's "You Not Me."  I swear 75% of the hate for that song is because MP dumped on it publicly.
Perhaps, but I fall outside that for both songs. TS is an OK song that is an outlier for me; it didn't make the cut because I prefer a lot of other music over it. For me it averaged out to #145 after I ranked all the Rush songs 3 different times.

In the case of YNM, my dislike for it doesn't come from MP's comments but especially because of the way it feels like 2 separate songs slapped together, especially with that pause before the chorus. Plus I think having it in the key that it was played a factor - I know it was originally in a higher key, but they ended up lowering it while recording it, I'm guessing to make it easier for JL to sing live since they probably expected to play it at many shows because it was going to be a single. I'd love to hear it in its original key, as well as the original demo that Desmond Child and JP put together - perhaps I would like the song more then.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: February 28, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »

There used to be an internet radio show called "Used Bin Radio"; two guys from Los Angeles, Joe and Brad, and they were hilarious.  I don't know all the deets, but Joe, apparently, was in bands that played the Sunset Strip, and they had great stories of that time and place.  They had some great guests now and again (including Mr. Portnoy) and they had awesome collections of music; the bumpers (the songs in between segments) were almost always obscure demos or live stuff. 

It was live, so people could call in, but for some reason I was only able to get it a week late, so I think I only called in one time.   Brad used to post at Portnoy's forum for a while.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2022, 01:49:19 PM »
Oh OK cool.

Online nick_z

« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »
Overall, I like the debut, but I rarely listen to it, and whenever I think of the best debuts by any artist, this one never comes to mind.  Some bands crushed it on their first album (Boston, LZ, VH, etc.), but I don't think Rush was one of them.

This is pretty much me. I think the debut sounds great, but I'll go a little further and say this: the fact it has the "Rush" name attached to it, somewhat paradoxically, hurts the way I assess it. In a vacuum, the album is musically very strong. But I can't help it - the "band" Rush to me really starts with Neil joining. It's not fully rational, I know. There's a lot on Fly By Night that could be from the debut (and, more broadly, CoS and 2112 still have traces of that general approach). And, surely, an album like Hold Your Fire is so much more far removed from, say, Hemispheres than FBN is from the debut, despite the musicians being the same people. Yet, to me, these are all "Rush" records in a way that, um, "Rush" isn't.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: February 28, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »
Overall, I like the debut, but I rarely listen to it, and whenever I think of the best debuts by any artist, this one never comes to mind.  Some bands crushed it on their first album (Boston, LZ, VH, etc.), but I don't think Rush was one of them.

This is pretty much me. I think the debut sounds great, but I'll go a little further and say this: the fact it has the "Rush" name attached to it, somewhat paradoxically, hurts the way I assess it. In a vacuum, the album is musically very strong. But I can't help it - the "band" Rush to me really starts with Neil joining. It's not fully rational, I know. There's a lot on Fly By Night that could be from the debut (and, more broadly, CoS and 2112 still have traces of that general approach). And, surely, an album like Hold Your Fire is so much more far removed from, say, Hemispheres than FBN is from the debut, despite the musicians being the same people. Yet, to me, these are all "Rush" records in a way that, um, "Rush" isn't.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that point of view, at all.  There are plenty of bands whose first release is sort of "separate" from the rest of the catalogue.   Genesis started, for me, with Trespass.  Dream Theater started, for me, with Images and Words.   UFO started, for me, when Michael Schenker joined.   So? 

I know for me, not all of Neil's lyrics resonate with me, and I don't necessarily think he's the lyrical God that many do (still good, though), but with the exception of Best I Can (which could easily be on the first album) the lyrics from Fly By Night onward - even the ones from Geddy and Alex - are a real cut above, and that's the difference for me.  I don't mind dumb lyrics - I'm a Kiss fan - but there has to be SOMETHING.  (And for some reason, the line "tell you all my lies!" is so cliched as to be cringe-inducing).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #434 on: February 28, 2022, 03:32:01 PM »
I'd rather wait for everyone to post any of their lists or bottom 10s or whatever till I finish doing the countdown, which will start in a couple days.

Online nick_z

« Reply #435 on: February 28, 2022, 04:27:00 PM »
I actually didn't rank anything beyond 100...I trimmed the whole list down to 100, ranked those and then sent the top 75.

Anyway - can't wait for the countdown to begin!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #436 on: February 28, 2022, 04:36:02 PM »
I self whittled it down to 80-85 songs and then I ran the ranker twice.

Online HOF

« Reply #437 on: February 28, 2022, 05:12:43 PM »
So apparently today is the 48th anniversary of the release of RUSH, so that’s kind of a cool coincidence.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #438 on: February 28, 2022, 05:19:02 PM »

There used to be an internet radio show called "Used Bin Radio"; two guys from Los Angeles, Joe and Brad, and they were hilarious.  I don't know all the deets, but Joe, apparently, was in bands that played the Sunset Strip, and they had great stories of that time and place.  They had some great guests now and again (including Mr. Portnoy) and they had awesome collections of music; the bumpers (the songs in between segments) were almost always obscure demos or live stuff. 

It was live, so people could call in, but for some reason I was only able to get it a week late, so I think I only called in one time.   Brad used to post at Portnoy's forum for a while.

I dunno if you've found them for nostalgia, but they have been uploading the old shows to YouTube.

It almost feels like going back in time hearing them, the ones I called in especially which was like every other week, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/user/UsedBinRadio

Offline jammindude

« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2022, 05:26:58 PM »

It becomes even more paradoxical when you consider the fact that fully half the album was regularly performed by Neil for many years after.  And even after they quit playing those four songs regularly, one of them would get revisited pretty much on the regular all the way up until their retirement

EDIT - In fact, I don’t have the tourography in front of me, but I’d be willing to bet that the debut was more commonly represented than fly by night was in later tours
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:33:22 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #440 on: February 28, 2022, 06:07:35 PM »
Perhaps, but I fall outside that for both songs. TS is an OK song that is an outlier for me; it didn't make the cut because I prefer a lot of other music over it. For me it averaged out to #145 after I ranked all the Rush songs 3 different times.

In the case of YNM, my dislike for it doesn't come from MP's comments but especially because of the way it feels like 2 separate songs slapped together, especially with that pause before the chorus. Plus I think having it in the key that it was played a factor - I know it was originally in a higher key, but they ended up lowering it while recording it, I'm guessing to make it easier for JL to sing live since they probably expected to play it at many shows because it was going to be a single. I'd love to hear it in its original key, as well as the original demo that Desmond Child and JP put together - perhaps I would like the song more then.

I disliked Tai Shan before I ever knew that Geddy had bad-mouthed it (and I think it was just Geddy).  On the other hand, I think YNM is both vastly superior to YOM and one of the five best songs on FII.

EDIT - In fact, I don’t have the tourography in front of me, but I’d be willing to bet that the debut was more commonly represented than fly by night was in later tours

I'm sure that's right, but it was primarily Working Man, which (if setlist.fm is accurate) was their 12th most played song (905 times).  In the 17th spot, By-Tor is the most played song from FBN (although I'm sure at least half of those were the very abbreviated medley version), with 726 plays, the last of which was in 2004 on the R30 tour.  After that, you have Anthem at #20 with 555 non-medley plays, but the last time before R40 was in 1980.  Finding My Way is next at #41, with 312 non-medley performances, the last of which were in 1985.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #441 on: February 28, 2022, 06:11:01 PM »
Anthem was played on the Roll the Bones tour, although it might have been part of the encore medley.

Not sure how setlist.fm calculates the songs that were played in medleys, but In the Mood has to be up there as well. That was played on practically every tour from the debut through Presto (but never played after that).

Online nick_z

« Reply #442 on: February 28, 2022, 06:29:39 PM »

It becomes even more paradoxical when you consider the fact that fully half the album was regularly performed by Neil for many years after.  And even after they quit playing those four songs regularly, one of them would get revisited pretty much on the regular all the way up until their retirement

Absolutely. And, clearly, Working Man is an iconic song for them, for a variety of reasons. It's just that for me, even when those songs were played live, it was more of a fun celebration of their beginnings rather than a "oh that's such a cool Rush song they are playing!" moment. It didn't make it any less enjoyable. But, again, more like a tribute to an earlier version of the band.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #443 on: February 28, 2022, 06:29:55 PM »
That was my point. It was more often Working Man than anything else, but it was almost almost always *something* from the debut. It was FMW on the GUP tour. And it was a pleasant surprise when WYD made an appearance at R40.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #444 on: February 28, 2022, 06:35:37 PM »
I would argue that the title track from FBN is nearly as iconic (from a radio play standpoint) as Working Man is. But for some reason they never really cared for that one and avoided it after the 2112 tour. By-Tor is probably almost as iconic from a fan standpoint, and that rarely resurfaced.

That along with the fact that more songs in general made an occasional appearance from the debut than FBN. Heck, you could almost say it was nearly as well represented as 2112 itself. Yes, Overture/Temples *always* got played, but everything from side 2 was ditched after the AFTK tour, and other than the full performance on the TFE tour, the grand finale was just once in awhile.

EDIT - I just remembered they brought back Bangkok once for the Time Machine tour…but still.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:55:17 PM by jammindude »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #445 on: February 28, 2022, 06:50:37 PM »
By-Tor is probably almost as iconic from a fan standpoint, and that rarely resurfaced.

By-Tor And The Snore Dog. Yawn.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #446 on: February 28, 2022, 06:54:05 PM »
By-Tor is probably almost as iconic from a fan standpoint, and that rarely resurfaced.

By-tor is an amazing song! The extended version on AtWaS is even more amazing!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #447 on: February 28, 2022, 06:56:42 PM »

Tim, haven’t we already established that you are not a good barometer for “the fanbase”…..of anything.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

We are just going to have to turn, “DAMMIT TIM  :facepalm:” into an official catchphrase at this point

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: February 28, 2022, 06:56:53 PM »
I've always felt like I should like it more than I do. I just don't care for it.

Online HOF

« Reply #449 on: February 28, 2022, 07:26:48 PM »
I've always felt like I should like it more than I do. I just don't care for it.

I like it, but it would be better without the spacey quiet part where the song basically stops for two minutes.

Offline DTA

« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »
In The Mood somehow made it to the setlist for every tour from the debut through Presto. I guess it was just a fun, dumb song to play at the end of a show. It's probably is the most consistently played song outside of 2112/Spirit/Tom Sawyer

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: February 28, 2022, 07:49:46 PM »

I like it, but it would be better without the spacey quiet part where the song basically stops for two minutes.

Wow, that's an illuminating theory.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2022, 08:17:48 PM »
Looked at Ultimateclassicrock.com's ranking of all Rush's songs, just to see how my list stacked up against theirs. In the Mood was listed as the #1(?)worst song. Made my Top 75 fairly easily.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2022, 08:34:14 PM »
By-tor is an amazing song! The extended version on AtWaS is even more amazing!
Very true! My favorite part of AtWaS.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online nick_z

« Reply #454 on: March 01, 2022, 07:59:21 AM »

Wow, that's an illuminating theory.

:lol