Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52958 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/26)
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »
Here's what I did for Test for Echoes a while back. It's a bit short at 38 minutes. Could sneak Limbo back on there, but I like it as just 8 tracks too. Tried to do the same for Vapor Trails yesterday,

Test for Echo

1. Test for Echo
2. Driven
3. Half the World
4. The Color of Right
5. Totem
6. Virtuality
7. Resist
8. Carve Away the Stone

Vapor Trails

1. One Little Victory
2. Ceiling Unlimited
3. Ghost Rider
4. Vapor Trail
5. How it Is
6. Secret Touch
7. Earthshine
8. Freeze Part IV of "Fear"

I hate to not end VT on Out of the Cradle, but that's just over 43 minutes. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2022, 12:47:49 PM »
Here's what I did for Test for Echoes a while back.

Ummm...excuse me...it's Test for Eggos.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2022, 12:49:02 PM »
Here's what I did for Test for Echoes a while back.

Ummm...excuse me...it's Test for Eggos.

LOL. I even caught it and fixed it once, and then I think I typed it again wrong.

Test for Echoes was Kevin Bacon's companion album to A Stir of Echoes.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2022, 12:49:53 PM »

Vapor Trails

1. One Little Victory
2. Ceiling Unlimited
3. Ghost Rider
4. Vapor Trail
5. How it Is
6. Secret Touch
7. Earthshine

I'd put Nocturne in the place of Earthshine.  That would be a solid record for me.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2022, 01:27:56 PM »
I cannot get on board with any version of Vapor Trails that retains One Little Victory.  Hell, the actual album starting off with it is already pretty brutal once you get past the first minute (awesome intro, the rest of the song blows, ugliest melodies they ever wrote).

Offline HOF

« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2022, 01:42:21 PM »
I cannot get on board with any version of Vapor Trails that retains One Little Victory.  Hell, the actual album starting off with it is already pretty brutal once you get past the first minute (awesome intro, the rest of the song blows, ugliest melodies they ever wrote).

I agree about the melodies, but I do love the drumming and the lyrics, and it has a great energy. If it weren't such a fitting intro to their comeback album following Neil's tragedies ("the spirit breaking free"), I'd drop it. But it feels like it has to be there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2022, 01:45:26 PM »
I've never had a problem with One Little Victory, and I enjoy most of Vapor Trails.

The first two cuts I would make would be Ceiling Unlimited and Peaceable Kingdom.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »

I won't go that far, but the back half of VT is MUCH better than the front.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nick_z

« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2022, 02:56:43 PM »
Vapor Trails

1. One Little Victory
2. Ceiling Unlimited
3. Ghost Rider
4. Vapor Trail
5. How it Is
6. Secret Touch
7. Earthshine

I can 100% get behind this shortened version of VT. In fact I might actually sub Out of the Cradle in for Freeze

Offline nick_z

« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2022, 03:00:05 PM »
I've never had a problem with One Little Victory, and I enjoy most of Vapor Trails.

The first two cuts I would make would be Ceiling Unlimited and Peaceable Kingdom.

Ha! Ceiling Unlimited is one of my favorites on VT. Peaceable Kingdom, yes, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if it was dropped...

Offline HOF

« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2022, 03:09:12 PM »

Ha! Ceiling Unlimited is one of my favorites on VT. Peaceable Kingdom, yes, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if it was dropped...

Yeah, I think Ceiling Unlimited is a fairly strong Rush song, especially the remixed version with the added guitar solo. I don't love Geddy's vocal delivery on it, but that's a problem with all of Rush's post-2000 material.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »

Yeah, I think Ceiling Unlimited is a fairly strong Rush song, especially the remixed version with the added guitar solo. I don't love Geddy's vocal delivery on it, but that's a problem with all of Rush's post-2000 material.
Yeah, you start to see the decline of Geddy's vocals with Vapor Trails, but it didn't become a real problem until the Snakes and Arrows tour.

I think Geddy's peak vocally was 1988-1997. In my opinion...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2022, 05:58:31 PM »

Yeah, you start to see the decline of Geddy's vocals with Vapor Trails, but it didn't become a real problem until the Snakes and Arrows tour.

I think Geddy's peak vocally was 1988-1997. In my opinion...

Yeah, he sounded really good then.

I actually thought his vocals were pretty decent on the S&A tour. To me, a more noticeable decline started with Time Machine...I haven't watched in a while, but I thought I noticed it on the official DVD releases too...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2022, 11:54:50 AM »

I agree about the melodies, but I do love the drumming and the lyrics, and it has a great energy. If it weren't such a fitting intro to their comeback album following Neil's tragedies ("the spirit breaking free"), I'd drop it. But it feels like it has to be there.

I get that it is important to the band, given that just getting back to being a band was their "one little victory" after a 4-year sabbatical, but that doesn't make me enjoy it any more regardless.  Would have been a killer instrumental, but I just dislike the vocal melodies too much.

I actually thought his vocals were pretty decent on the S&A tour. To me, a more noticeable decline started with Time Machine...I haven't watched in a while, but I thought I noticed it on the official DVD releases too...

Agreed.  I rarely revisit the Blu-rays/DVDs from the last three tours, mainly because Geddy's vocals are too rough across the board on all of them.  And that sucks because the set lists on those last two tours were mostly amazing (the Time Machine set list was good, but not one I would call amazing). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2022, 12:33:51 PM »
Time Machine is almost unlistenable due to the vocals. It's too bad because (sorry Kev) the setlist was amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/27)
« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2022, 07:18:27 PM »
I pushed the submissions due date back a day to the 27th (end of the day), so that gives anyone who still wants to submit a list a week.  I have 14 so far (counting my own), so am hoping to get at least six more to get to 20 total. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: February 20, 2022, 07:19:42 PM »
I'll have mine in to you shortly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2022, 07:20:01 PM »
I pushed the submissions due date back a day to the 27th (end of the day), so that gives anyone who still wants to submit a list a week.  I have 14 so far (counting my own), so am hoping to get at least six more to get to 20 total.

I can't believe you only have 14. Let's go people!!!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #263 on: February 20, 2022, 09:10:34 PM »
I've gone through the ranking engine twice; gonna try for a third time and average out the results. You should have my list before the deadline Kev!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #264 on: February 20, 2022, 10:21:31 PM »
I’ve had a rough weekend. But I’ve got the day off tomorrow so I will go through the ranking engine at least once more. Maybe a couple of times.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2022, 10:25:56 PM »
I thought knowing the catalog really well would make it easier. But it actually makes it harder. You guys have no idea. But Rush was my first love.

My hometown is Renton, WA  and I used to call into radio stations as The Renton Rush Raver (actually won a early release of GUP that way). In fact, RRR was my original BBS pseudonym back in the days of cradle modems.  Kids in middle school made fun of me because I could turn just about any conversation into a conversation about Rush. I was completely obsessed.

I chilled way out in my later days, but when I was 13 to 15 years old, Rush was God.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2022, 04:11:51 AM »

Yeah, I gotta get my ass moving on this and quick.  Got a solid top 30 though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: February 21, 2022, 11:39:32 AM »

Hurry up Kip Lightwinger!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #268 on: February 21, 2022, 11:43:55 AM »
Man....I used to think Totem was one of the few misfires on TFE.  But I'm listening to it now and really digging it.   TFE is such an amazing overlooked album. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: February 21, 2022, 11:52:14 AM »
Man....I used to think Totem was one of the few misfires on TFE.  But I'm listening to it now and really digging it.   TFE is such an amazing overlooked album.
I agree. I got the album when it first released and I thought Totem was the weakest track on there. It has really grown on me over the years. Overall I love TFE. It was the second Rush album I bought with my own money after Roll the Bones (I somehow missed Counterparts at the time), but I played TFE to death when I was a kid. My mom hated it!  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline HOF

« Reply #270 on: February 21, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »

Always liked Totem. The middle section is great, and I love that sort of tribal drumming Neil does throughout (similar to the middle/ending section of Vapor Trail and on Clockwork Angels).

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: February 21, 2022, 12:05:14 PM »
First, it slightly amazes me that from ALL the prelisting chatter, that there are so few submissions.

Then again, I remember the many community Zoom meetings I was attending near the deadline of DT, turning off my camera, and opening my spreadsheet to adjust the song rankings :D

<btw.....still wish a separate thread would be opened in regards to comments for songs that we ranked that didn't make the Top 100.  I found some of those comments enlightening.   And Kev, I know, there are more important things going on right now.   :heart )
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2022, 12:17:07 PM »
Oh mine is in the works.  Trust me.  I'm using my paid holiday (OMG I LOVE MY NEW JOB WORKING FOR THE CITY!!!) to sit in my man cave, go through the ranking engine, and doing A/B comparisons for all the close calls from my music database.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2022, 12:53:02 PM »

I feel your list is going to be shocking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »

If it didn't include The Body Electric, it sure as hell does now.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2022, 01:00:58 PM »

If it didn't include The Body Electric, it sure as hell does now.

Wondering where Chain Lightning ends up.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2022, 01:09:38 PM »
Not nearly as high as Superconductor.

EDIT:  We're dicks.   :) :) :) :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2022, 01:15:17 PM »
 :rollin Oh you guys are killing me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2022, 01:38:37 PM »
I guess Vital Signs should have to find a way in there too.......
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #279 on: February 21, 2022, 01:46:38 PM »
I guess Vital Signs should have to find a way in there too.......

:rollin