Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52949 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/26)
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2022, 02:52:35 PM »
Tim also sent me a sneak peak of his list before he had to edit it.

It's a great list  :rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2022, 02:59:47 PM »

I'd send it myself if it were allowed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »
Nutted out my top 25.  Pretty happy with it.  Now it gets tougher but looking at it, my approach has worked well up til now.

EDIT:  Fuck me though, this band is just fucking off the charts.  Absolutely incredible.  This exercise is making me appreciate them more than I did when I got into them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2022, 03:43:51 PM »

I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2022, 03:45:45 PM »

I threw up in my pants typing it out.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 05:12:50 PM by wolfking »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2022, 04:59:17 PM »

The truth is, this exercise is helping the (few) nonbelievers realize the greatness of Power Windows  :biggrin: Admit it, as you are putting together your list, you can't help but think - how did I not see?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2022, 05:13:19 PM »

The truth is, this exercise is helping the (few) nonbelievers realize the greatness of Power Windows  :biggrin: Admit it, as you are putting together your list, you can't help but think - how did I not see?

Speak the truth brother!  :hefdaddy

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2022, 07:32:01 PM »

Amen!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »

Amen!

*Meryl Streep shouting and pointing in agreement GIF*

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2022, 07:37:38 PM »

Amen!

*Meryl Streep shouting and pointing in agreement GIF*
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2022, 07:46:55 PM »
 :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2022, 07:57:56 PM »
Power Windows is a great album, but two of the songs didn’t make it to my top 75, and on,y one track from it hit my top 10. The answer to which one that is may surprise you!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2022, 07:59:48 PM »
That fact that any song from Power Windows made the Top 10 is surprise enough.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2022, 08:01:31 PM »
Power Windows is a great album, but two of the songs didn’t make it to my top 75, and on,y one track from it hit my top 10. The answer to which one that is may surprise you!

There’s a 1 in 4 chance it’s the same as mine. ;-)

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2022, 08:13:44 PM »

There’s a 1 in 4 chance it’s the same as mine. ;-)

Well, what’s yours?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2022, 08:14:56 PM »
You guys better take it to PM before Kev comes in with a retort.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2022, 08:15:08 PM »

Ouch!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2022, 08:16:45 PM »

Ouch!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2022, 08:53:28 PM »
So as I work on my list, I have been listening to the Rush albums I would generally never listen to, and while most of this isn't going to sniff my Top 75, I will say I honestly cannot recall a time when I thought a song needed to be skipped or was a drag to listen to.

I easily identified my Top 10 and as a quick exercise put those through the RE, and outside of #1, that was tough.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2022, 11:26:02 PM »
Sent my list. And yes, all of Power Windows made my Top 75 (actually a lot higher than I expected, but more on that later). That sorting thing took a LONG time, but kind of worth it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2022, 11:33:25 PM »

So does wolfking win the DT 'won the internets' award for the month? :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2022, 09:49:49 AM »

I thought to myself, #106 seems a bit high for Territories.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2022, 10:50:07 AM »
It's been a little bit of a slog trying to learn about 10 albums or so in the past week. Still a week to go. Just not a big fan of that run from HYF through TFE. GUP and PW ain't exactly my thing either but I can find plenty of songs on both that will make the list. This would have been a lot easier if those 70s albums had 10 songs each instead of 6.  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
It's been a little bit of a slog trying to learn about 10 albums or so in the past week. Still a week to go. Just not a big fan of that run from HYF through TFE. GUP and PW ain't exactly my thing either but I can find plenty of songs on both that will make the list. This would have been a lot easier if those 70s albums had 10 songs each instead of 6.  :lol

Something I want to give some thought to is what would the latter Rush albums be like if you paired them all down to LP rather than CD length. There’s not a lot of fat to trim from Counterparts, but Roll the Bones and Test for Echo would both benefit, and I think Vapor Trails would too. Not sure Snakes and Arrows would be too much improved, but you could at least make it less onerous to get through. Clockwork Angels probably doesn’t work as well paired down, but honestly I don’t even know what if anything is happening in the story. Just seems like a series of random scenes from whatever steampunk world Neil concocted.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2022, 01:14:20 PM »
I know I sound more and more like TAC every day, but for me some of those 70's records that were a concise 35, 40 minutes are really special in their own way. They are a sort of snapshot.  And the shorter albums, more frequently, sometimes give you a really cool glimpse of a band's growth and progress.   

Offline romdrums

« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »
I know I sound more and more like TAC every day, but for me some of those 70's records that were a concise 35, 40 minutes are really special in their own way. They are a sort of snapshot.  And the shorter albums, more frequently, sometimes give you a really cool glimpse of a band's growth and progress.

When you add in the fact that they basically released an album a year up through Power Windows, you can basically hear it in real time when you listen in chronological order.  It's fun to hear them go from a fresh-faced, guitar-based power trio to this mountain of sounds and textures on Power Windows, and then gradually scale it back down to the power trio, but with the lessons learned from their upward climb, by the time they get to Clockwork Angels.  Each album is a necessary step to get to the next album.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2022, 01:41:08 PM »

When you add in the fact that they basically released an album a year up through Power Windows, you can basically hear it in real time when you listen in chronological order.  It's fun to hear them go from a fresh-faced, guitar-based power trio to this mountain of sounds and textures on Power Windows, and then gradually scale it back down to the power trio, but with the lessons learned from their upward climb, by the time they get to Clockwork Angels.  Each album is a necessary step to get to the next album.

What's fascinating to me - and of all bands, Judas Priest is in this group too, as are the Scorpions - is hearing an album that is largely consistent, and having one or two songs that seem like outliers - Vital Signs on Moving Pictures is one example - then hearing the NEXT album and it's largely like that outlier.  You see the seeds of the growing plants as you go, for lack of a better analogy.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2022, 01:54:12 PM »

What's fascinating to me - and of all bands, Judas Priest is in this group too, as are the Scorpions - is hearing an album that is largely consistent, and having one or two songs that seem like outliers - Vital Signs on Moving Pictures is one example - then hearing the NEXT album and it's largely like that outlier.  You see the seeds of the growing plants as you go, for lack of a better analogy.

And at the end of it all, you finally get to see The Garden.  ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
Something I want to give some thought to is what would the latter Rush albums be like if you paired them all down to LP rather than CD length. There’s not a lot of fat to trim from Counterparts, but Roll the Bones and Test for Echo would both benefit, and I think Vapor Trails would too. Not sure Snakes and Arrows would be too much improved, but you could at least make it less onerous to get through. Clockwork Angels probably doesn’t work as well paired down, but honestly I don’t even know what if anything is happening in the story. Just seems like a series of random scenes from whatever steampunk world Neil concocted.

- Presto would be greatly improved by losing Superconductor and Hand over Fist, which would take it from 52+ minutes to about 44 minutes (and you can scratch Scars if you want to go lower.

- Roll the Bones is only 48 minutes and would be much better as a 4 song EP.

- There are a few songs you could ditch to get Counterparts down from 54:24 to about 40 minutes.  I'd go with Nobody's Hero, The Speed of Love and Cold Fire (which would take it under 40 minutes).

- T4E is about as long as Counterparts.  I'd lose Dog Years and Carve Away the Stone.

- Vapor Trails is a bloated 67+ minutes.  I'd get rid of Ceiling Unlimited, How It Is, Secret Touch and Sweet Miracle.

- S&A could lose most of its back half (pretty much everything after Hope) to get down below its 63 minute run time.

- Clockwork Angels probably needs to be what it is because of the story, but I'd be fine with a 3-song EP (Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight).

YES!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2022, 02:30:08 PM »
No way Cold Fire should get cut.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2022, 02:31:14 PM »

May God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2022, 02:34:18 PM »
No way Cold Fire should get cut.

I'm pretty sure all the songs PG cut from Presto are on my list.  :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2022, 02:35:15 PM »

May God have mercy on your soul.

I, have, no, idea, what, you're, talking, about.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2022, 02:47:51 PM »

- Presto would be greatly improved by losing Superconductor and Hand over Fist, which would take it from 52+ minutes to about 44 minutes (and you can scratch Scars if you want to go lower.

- Roll the Bones is only 48 minutes and would be much better as a 4 song EP.

- There are a few songs you could ditch to get Counterparts down from 54:24 to about 40 minutes.  I'd go with Nobody's Hero, The Speed of Love and Cold Fire (which would take it under 40 minutes).

- T4E is about as long as Counterparts.  I'd lose Dog Years and Carve Away the Stone.

- Vapor Trails is a bloated 67+ minutes.  I'd get rid of Ceiling Unlimited, How It Is, Secret Touch and Sweet Miracle.

- S&A could lose most of its back half (pretty much everything after Hope) to get down below its 63 minute run time.

- Clockwork Angels probably needs to be what it is because of the story, but I'd be fine with a 3-song EP (Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight).

Holy moly, that’s a bad take to me. In pretty much all instances, you’re taking at least one of my absolute favourites out of it.

Presto: Dump War Paint and Scars. Under no circumstances should you lose Hand Over Fist
Roll the Bones: There are 7 great songs on the album, so cutting it down to 4 would be a great loss. Trim Face Up, Big Wheel and Neurotica though. Even though I have a guilty pleasure for Neurotica.
Counterparts: Speed of Love can definitely go, but I’d dump Alien Shore and Between Sun and Moon before the others you listed. Sun and Moon is still awesome though.
T4E: Title track, Driven, Time and Motion, Resist, Limbo. If you’re not one of these, you’re not needed.
VT: Now here’s a tricky one. Peaceable Kingdom, Stars Look Down and Nocturne are pretty much the ones that I can remove at all. I love his album.
S&A: Yeah, you’re right, the back half isn’t as strong as the front, and yet, I can’t think of anything more than Good News First that I actually would cut off of this one.
CA: I mean, pretty much only BU2B2 counts as a clunker here. Halo Effect could also go if we really need to trim this one down.