Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52800 times)

Online HOF

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!!
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2022, 06:52:22 AM »
My biggest issue right now is choosing from about a dozen songs to give my one point to for number 75. Probably shouldn’t keep overthinking it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2022, 09:31:01 AM »
Only one made my top 40, but I ended up with six Hold Your Fire songs in my top 75.  Underrated album, one loaded with good tunes.

I've long said that record is probably their best collection of SONGS, i.e. their best written material.  I would have loved to have heard an acoustic or re-recorded version of that record, to make it less of it's time and more... timeless.

Online HOF

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2022, 09:55:43 AM »
Only one made my top 40, but I ended up with six Hold Your Fire songs in my top 75.  Underrated album, one loaded with good tunes.

I've long said that record is probably their best collection of SONGS, i.e. their best written material.  I would have loved to have heard an acoustic or re-recorded version of that record, to make it less of it's time and more... timeless.

Wouldn’t expect anything like this to happen, and I’m not sure Geddy could even pull it off vocally, but it would be cool for him and Alex to do some of those songs just the two of them acoustically.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2022, 10:03:59 AM »
As I predicted, 4 Power Windows songs made my Top 75, and as I also predicted, the highest would be around 30.

My top song from POW was #40, and I had three in the top 75.  The other 5 ranked between 84-132.

I’m going through the ranker right now and it’s VERY painful.

The top tier stuff is pretty easy to separate from anything below it, but once you get into mid-tier stuff (which is probably the majority of their catalog) the head to head matches become excruciating. I’ve literally winced at a couple. And if they are from different eras it’s even worse, because you like them about the same, but it’s apples and oranges and it can come down to mood.

Yup.

Great song v. great song is hard.

Bottom tier song v. bottom tier song is equally as hard, although I stopped agonizing over it since these songs aren't gonna make the top 75.

Mid-tier songs from different eras are also really hard (e.g., Double Agent v. A Passage to Bangkok).

I had three Power Windows songs in my list, one top ten.  I was surprised how many Hold Your Fire songs made it, though.

I have only one from HYF in the top 75 (at #41).  The next highest is at #86, and the lowest is at #143.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2022, 12:44:35 PM »
Is not liking Power windows meme here or what?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2022, 12:46:18 PM »

The banter back and forth between those who don't like it and people who are wrong kind of is.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2022, 12:55:51 PM »

The banter back and forth between those who don't like it and people who are wrong kind of is.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online HOF

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2022, 12:59:51 PM »

:tup

Offline Trav86

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2022, 01:04:36 PM »
I have six from Power Windows. That’s subject to change though.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2022, 01:05:40 PM »

Six what? Six minutes?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2022, 04:31:17 PM »

Don't know who she is, but you've got the concept.   :biggrin:

Six what? Six minutes?

I have 6 songs from POW ranked below Broon's Bane.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2022, 04:51:33 PM »

Permanent Waves isn't that bad.  ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2022, 06:40:32 PM »
I have a ways to go but there might not be any songs from GUP/PW/HYF on my list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Trav86

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2022, 09:09:07 AM »

Six what? Six minutes?

:rollin
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2022, 09:16:44 AM »
We have until tomorrow right?

Like the DT one, I wanted to take a couple lists to make sure. I finally finished my first time through and there are definitely a couple of tweaks I want to make before I submit my list.

As far as POW songs go. On my first try, 1 made my top 5, 2 in my top 10, 3 in my top 20, 4 in my top 40 and 6 in my top 50.

I’m actually a bit surprised that 2 didn’t make the top 75 at all, but like Stadler said, there’s probably about 20 songs that we commonly refer to as “top 5 songs” and it pushes everything else down.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (submissions due by 2/26)
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2022, 09:19:49 AM »
It's in the first post, peeps. ;)

Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by February 26th. 

I added it to the thread title as well. :)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2022, 06:17:42 PM »
This was hard to do! It was like to make just one top 75 out of 4 very different and equally great bands.
Kev I'm sending to you my list.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2022, 09:04:58 PM »
Like Dream Theater, I am seeing tons of songs I like a lot not making my final list.  Just too many good Rush songs.  :coolio :coolio

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2022, 03:13:39 AM »
I better get started on this.  I just know that one era is absolutely going to flood most of the top 50.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2022, 06:34:04 AM »
Because of this list, I just realized that Rush released 7 albums in the 80's! And that decade - that have 3 of the 5 eras of the band (in my point of view), made 50% of my list.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2022, 06:47:55 AM »
About Rush eras, of course the end of one blends a bit with the begginning of the next and it's an aproximation - after all, Rush's music complexity defies any categorisation, but I hear them this way: heavy blues rock (Rush-FBN), prog (CoS-MP), keyboard  (Signals -HYF), pop (Presto-RTB) and hard rock (Counterparts-CA).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2022, 08:34:52 AM »
Seven lists submitted already, and I have to say I am stunned at how poorly a classic from what most consider their peak era is doing so far.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2022, 09:03:47 AM »
Like DT, there are a few songs here that I listened to as much as any of theirs back when I was heavier in to classic rock, but have since been elevated (relegated?) to "retired favorites" status. They were favorites of mine for decades, that I just don't have any desire to listen to again. Those are hard to rank.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2022, 02:49:24 PM »
Seven lists submitted already, and I have to say I am stunned at how poorly a classic from what most consider their peak era is doing so far.

Gonna guess Limelight or Tom Sawyer here.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2022, 03:13:45 PM »

I’m going to go out on a limb and say 2112.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2022, 03:20:54 PM »

Ahhh.....you're probably right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »

Definitely Tom Sawyer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2022, 03:39:05 PM »

Definitely Tom Sawyer.

Yeah.....I guess MP would be considered their peak as opposed to 2112.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
I have Tom Sawyer very high...more generally, it would surprise me if it did poorly overall, no matter how overplayed it is...

Maybe Hemispheres (the song)...? If we think of the AFTK-MP run as peak "era"...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 09:24:37 PM by nick_z »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2022, 06:56:40 AM »

I only have one data point out of seven, but this is my guess too.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2022, 07:02:55 AM »
Submitted my list today. Gotta say, I’m surprised what songs didn’t manage to make my list. 75 sounds like a lot, then you start seeing great songs not make the list, and when you count up all the ones that didn’t make it that you love, it can be kinda sad.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2022, 12:31:11 PM »
About Rush eras, of course the end of one blends a bit with the begginning of the next and it's an aproximation - after all, Rush's music complexity defies any categorisation, but I hear them this way: heavy blues rock (Rush-FBN), prog (CoS-MP), keyboard  (Signals -HYF), pop (Presto-RTB) and hard rock (Counterparts-CA).

I'm not sure about labels, but for me:

- Rush kinda stands by itself (heavy blues, standard rock lyrics)
- FBN through 2112 (proto-prog - By-Tor is probably the most prog song; other than the length, 2112 isn't all that proggy, and side 2 really isn't much at all)
- AFTK through Signals (prog hard rock; could split this even further between Hemispheres and PEW; Signals is MUCH more connected with MP than with the next 3 albums)
- GUP through HYF (the synth era)
- Presto through T4E (adult contemporary Rush; the corrected most of the production issues that plagued the synth era; every album has some super clunkers, and every album except RTB has some great songs)
- VT through CA (this is really a continuation of the prior era, but with Alex's guitar playing more focused on chords than on melodic lines; also Geddy's yodeling vocals)

All three in the top 20 for me.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »
The only album that doesn't have any representation in my top 75 is Caress of Steel.  Every other album has at least one track.  Additionally, no album had every track make my Top 75.  There were three albums that had all but one track make my Top 75.  Also, like Stadler, I had an album that had a lot of songs make it in even though I wouldn't consider that album one of my favorites.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2022, 12:55:32 PM »
The only album that doesn't have any representation in my top 75 is Caress of Steel.  Every other album has at least one track.  Additionally, no album had every track make my Top 75.  There were three albums that had all but one track make my Top 75.  Also, like Stadler, I had an album that had a lot of songs make it in even though I wouldn't consider that album one of my favorites.

I have every album (even RTB) in my top 75.  Looking back now, neither of the songs that made it from T4E are my favorite song on the album, but I'm not broken up about it.  I have three albums with every song in top 75.

And now that I think upon it some more, I'm thinking that the song to which Kev referred is NOT any of the three mentioned.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2022, 01:12:54 PM »

I have every album (even RTB) in my top 75.  Looking back now, neither of the songs that made it from T4E are my favorite song on the album, but I'm not broken up about it.  I have three albums with every song in top 75.

And now that I think upon it some more, I'm thinking that the song to which Kev referred is NOT any of the three mentioned.

I think you're right.  Of those 3, I'd still say 2112, but I wonder if it could be something like Closer to the Heart.