Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52615 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #1156 on: March 20, 2022, 01:39:20 PM »
My #29 was Cold Fire, which was listed at #60 on the Countdown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1157 on: March 20, 2022, 01:48:48 PM »
Was it? :lol

Oops. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1158 on: March 20, 2022, 02:21:36 PM »
And here's another catch-up post for the next batch of ten songs!

39 Witch Hunt - ranked 38th. Another close one for me, definitely worthy of its place here, especially as I always found their penultimate pieces so fascinating given their propensity of being studio-only songs that would likely never get played live (a few exceptions exist, of course, or like with "Witch Hunt" and "Losing It", they would visit the song on a later tour)
38 By-Tor and the Snow Dog - ranked 19th. Probably one of my favorite songs from their first few albums, it's got a lot of fun riffs and power to it, really showcasing their creativity and chops, and to think it all stemmed from "Working Man" jamming!
37 Grand Designs - ranked 10th. Another case of where it might have ranked lower had I edited my Top 75 before submitting, but it's a good tune. Not my favorite from POW, but one that stands out. The band seemed to like it enough to put it in their encore that tour.
36 Anthem - ranked 93rd. I'm not sure how it ended up so low, but I do really enjoy this one. It's got a powerful opening section, but I think it sort of settles into early-Rush territory after that. It's a fun song to jam to, but after the intro, it gets a bit repetitive (which is maybe why the band truncated it on some tours later on).
35 Mystic Rhythms - ranked 9th. Just above "Grand Designs" on my sorted list, definitely a great album closer, and while it's one of my favorites from POW, it's not my TOP favorite although the sorter put it there.
34 Time Stand Still - ranked 53rd. Another good one from HYF, probably a Top 3 HYF song for sure. I remember liking the music video a lot when I first discovered Rush.
33 The Pass - ranked 15th. Like "Bravado", this is another favorite off its home album, and when they played it back-to-back with "Bravado" on the VT Tour, it was a highlight to me. Everytime Geddy gets to the "Christ, what have you done" part, I get chills. So good!
32 Dreamline - ranked 111th. I honestly don't know how this ended up not even breaking 100, but it's definitely worthy of a Top 40 spot for sure. Quite an anomaly on my part, maybe when I was doing my sorting, I just felt like I had had enough of the song, as good as it is. Live, it really kills, as do most of the tracks from RTB when performed live.
31 Middletown Dreams - ranked 24th. Not too far from my own ranking, this was one I was super glad to see them bring back for the Clockwork Angels Tour, and easily one of the more underrated and underappreciated songs from POW.
30 The Big Money - ranked 29th. Yet another song that ended up being close to my own ranking. I used to not really like this one when I was first getting into the band, and I think the kind-of-cheesy music video sort of tainted my opinion of the song, but after listening to it more over the years, I've grown to like it a lot more.

And there we have another chunk of ten songs as we break the top 30. Half of Power Windows in this grouping alone, which I think leaves "Manhattan Project", "Marathon", and "Territories", which are probably my three favorites songs off the album. I'm excited to see that they'll all be in the Top 30 (most likely).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1159 on: March 20, 2022, 02:26:48 PM »
Marc, my experience with the ranking engine is that if you slip up once with a selection, it can just burry a song. When I did DT, I must have done that with Lines in the Sand, because it ended up way at the bottom of my list. Good thing I edited it afterward. It was my number 2 song!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1160 on: March 20, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »

32 Dreamline
Appeared on 18 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (nobloodyname)

31 Middletown Dreams
Appeared on 19 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 2 (wolfking)

30 The Big Money
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 6 (DTA, devieira73)

Three good songs today.

Dreamline - I didn't rank but I still like this song, once again it is probably a miss for me in the rankings but I am a bit surprised it ranked this high.

Middletown Dreams - my rank 43. Great song.

The Big Money - my rank 42. Really didn't like this song at all when I first heard it. Probably turned me off the whole album but like most of Power Windows has grown on me over time.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1161 on: March 20, 2022, 02:30:04 PM »
Marc, my experience with the ranking engine is that if you slip up once with a selection, it can just burry a song. When I did DT, I must have done that with Lines in the Sand, because it ended up way at the bottom of my list. Good thing I edited it afterward. It was my number 2 song!

Makes sense. Yeah, I think when I did my sorting, I was coming off a long day at work and was pretty tired/distracted when sorting, so I only skimmed the final ranking and submitted it. I'm not entirely too upset with my final ranking, but as we continue this countdown, I've been noticing a few songs that were "buried at the bottom" as you said, like with "Dreamline" for me. I'm sure there's a few more that I didn't realize would bury by slipping up in the song selecting, but we will see how things work out in the final 29 songs.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1162 on: March 20, 2022, 03:18:18 PM »

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)

2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 5 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30)
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34)
Presto - 3 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33)
Roll the Bones - 4 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32)
Counterparts - 5 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 3 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42)

Power Windows charges up to take a tie (with Hold Your Fire and Counterparts) for most songs so far at 5.  Unless I've missed something, there are only 11 of 19 albums that will be represented in the top 29.

I was going to ask about Rush (the album) - I didn't recall Kev saying that was it for songs from the debut, and in your last list before this one you didn't have it bolded yet, so I was starting to wonder. Would've been kinda surprising to have another song from it (that wasn't Working Man!) THIS high in the aggregate ranking..

Did we actually have confirmation that there were no more songs from Rush? Or is that what the mysterious #29 song is about?  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1163 on: March 20, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
It is bolded, therefore it's confirmed..

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1164 on: March 20, 2022, 03:31:20 PM »
Yep, I saw it got bolded on the last list...I just didn't recall Kev explicitly mentioning it...

Insider info?   :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: March 20, 2022, 04:06:04 PM »
I'm surprised Big Money ranked so highly, especially ahead of Middletown Dreams too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1166 on: March 20, 2022, 05:31:12 PM »
Yep, I saw it got bolded on the last list...I just didn't recall Kev explicitly mentioning it...

Insider info?   :biggrin:

And no, I know nothing about song #29, although one mentioned by DTA was also my first thought.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1167 on: March 20, 2022, 07:28:02 PM »
Let's knock out 29 tonight...

29 Afterimage
Appeared on 20 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 3 (Tomislav95)

To reiterate, I am stunned by this song finishing this high.  I had it at 66, but with as much Rush as I have listened to in the last month or so, I have not listened to this one as it might be a bit too heavy for me right now given that my mother passed 32 days ago.  And I get why Rush never played it again after the P/G tour as it might have a tough one for them to play as well given that it was about a friend of theirs who died in a car accident.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1168 on: March 20, 2022, 07:52:39 PM »
32 Dreamline (#39) - Great song and another one that benefits a lot from the extended live versions already done in the RTB tour (so why Rush didn't recorded those songs this way in the album?)

31 Middletown Dreams (-) - My 6th favorite song on PoW and one of the 3 of that album that didn't make my top 75. But I like it a lot.

30 The Big Money (#6) - Always loved this song since I've heard its intro played in a TV commercial here in Brazil. I think the ASoF version was the first that I've heard this song in full and since then I NEVER got tired of it. I think this song represents the best result of the sound Rush was aiming on PoW and HYF, with a great balance between prog, acessibility, punch and and all the new music technology at the time.

29 Afterimage (#27) - Well-deserved position IMO. I love GUP and it's my favorite keyboard era album. The atmosphere of the song - great arrangement the way the keyboard blends with the guitar, by the way! - represents very well the album's overall dark and apocalyptic mood and Geddy's vocals are really soulful.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:02:02 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1169 on: March 20, 2022, 07:52:58 PM »
29 Afterimage

I had Afterimage at #23. There's just something about this song that hits me. It's not the typical Rush song that I think I would like, but there's just something about it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1170 on: March 20, 2022, 08:02:50 PM »
32 Dreamline (#39) - Great song and another one that benefits a lot from the extended live versions already done in the RTB tour (so why Rush didn't recorded those songs this way in the album?)

I would imagine that rehearsals for the live shows were when they got ideas to tweak a song a bit. Rush never seemed like a band who thought, "Yeah, we will save that tweak for when we play it live."

Somewhat along those lines is the live versions of The Big Money.  Neil said at one point that he added certain accents live that he wish he would done in the studio, and while he didn't mention The Big Money by name, the drum fill he does live after the guitar solo after Geddy sings, "It's the power and the glory," (as well as after the following lines) for example is one I am sure he wish he had done in the studio, as he always played it that way live.  It's a very simple fill, but it gives that little section a bit more oomph than the studio version.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1171 on: March 20, 2022, 09:26:05 PM »
I have Afterimage at 24. Fantastic song and an amazing tribute to a lost friend. That first line hits you like a ton of bricks, and the intensity never really let’s up, even with the quieter synthy section leading into Alex’s wonderful solo. Just a powerful track all around.

Was just watching this round table discussion of GUP the other night, with the wonderful Donna Halper giving her thoughts on Afterimage. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKzMrMn7Cp4

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1172 on: March 20, 2022, 09:31:39 PM »
29 Afterimage

I had Afterimage at #23. There's just something about this song that hits me. It's not the typical Rush song that I think I would like, but there's just something about it.

I'll just use this for me - (I also had Afterimage as 23 and agree there is just something about this song that hits me). I really like this one.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1173 on: March 20, 2022, 09:34:07 PM »
29 Afterimage

To reiterate, I am stunned by this song finishing this high.  I had it at 66, but with as much Rush as I have listened to in the last month or so, I have not listened to this one as it might be a bit too heavy for me right now given that my mother passed 32 days ago.  And I get why Rush never played it again after the P/G tour as it might have a tough one for them to play as well given that it was about a friend of theirs who died in a car accident.
Afterimage - I'm not sure why this was a surprise finishing this high. I thought this was an almost universally loved Rush song. I had it at #14. Great lyrics, great vocal melodies, and a masterful guitar solo from Alex. A great emotionally driven song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1174 on: March 20, 2022, 10:09:42 PM »

29 Afterimage

I have not listened to this one as it might be a bit too heavy for me right now given that my mother passed 32 days ago.

Ok, song ranking. I didn’t have it. I’m one of the five. I’m not ashamed of that fact either, I never really got behind this one. The prices have always felt kinda jarring to me. I like the parts, I don’t care for the sun.

That said, onto the other part of this. Kev, I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope you are ok, and if you ever need an ear (albeit one you don’t know), I’m here for you mate.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1175 on: March 21, 2022, 01:32:38 AM »
I hindsight, I may have put it even higher (at #1 even) because I'm crazy about it lately. It's full of emotions and instrumental break in thr middle of the song is something else, even though it doesn't sound like the typical Lifeson solo. Also, I love his playing in this song.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1176 on: March 21, 2022, 06:15:20 AM »
Today's featured songs see two more albums see their journey on this top 75 come to an end...

28 Animate
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 8 (nick_z)

I had this at 30...so close!!  Counterparts was a monster album for me at the age of 20, what a way to kick off the album.  The band is on fire on the studio version, and while it was always good live, it always felt like it didn't have the energy and urgency of the studio version.  Geddy's bass tone and playing in this song is just ridiculous, in particular.

27 The Garden
Appeared on 21 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 8 (romdrums, The Realm, ReaperKK)

I figured this would finish pretty high, even though I had it at 57.  Very nice song, and a helluva way to end their studio career.  I still feel like Neil, deep down, knew that Clockwork Angels would be their last album, and wrote the lyrics to this one accordingly, knowing it would be the final track.  Pretty impressive.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1177 on: March 21, 2022, 06:34:03 AM »
Today's featured songs see two more albums see their journey on this top 75 come to an end...

28 Animate

27 The Garden

Animate, I had at 32. Great rocker. Great drum intro from Neil too. Lyrics could’ve been better, but what can you do?

Garden, I had at number 11. I can’t pick one of my top 10 it should dethrone, but I also feel like it deserves to be higher? This song is about as perfect of an ending to a career that one could ever hope for. Each of them plays their parts perfectly, and it’s a true testament to what Rush meant to us.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1178 on: March 21, 2022, 07:10:16 AM »
29. Afterimage (75).  Just made the cut on my list, though I'm sure if I redid the list, it would be a little higher. 

28. Animate (N/A).  I've never really understood why this song is so popular with the fanbase.  Tastes, right?

27. The Garden (8).  When I first listened to this album, this song really flattened me.  Here's Rush, on what ended up being their final album, surprising me with a song I never expected from them.  Clockwork Angels as an album is something I didn't really expect from them, considering that Snakes and Arrows was good but not great.  They just sounded so inspired and driven to come up with a killer album, and they succeeded.  This song is so emotional.  I was mowing my lawn one day last summer and listening to this album, and when this song was playing, I lost it.  It must've been a sight to see a guy in his mid 40's all teary-eyed mowing his back yard!  My Dad and Neil Peart were the same age, born about 3 weeks apart and died about 3 weeks apart, both from cancer.  Whenever I listen to this song, I can't help but think of the impact they both had on me.  Anyway, I really love this song, in particular Geddy's bass line in the intro, and Alex's perfect guitar solo that really ties it all together.   
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1179 on: March 21, 2022, 10:27:06 AM »

29 Afterimage

I'm surprised by this being this high too.  I had it at #97, and it's probably my #5 song on GUP.  This song reminds me of one of my best friends (although not for the reason you might think).  GUP came out when I was a junior in high school, and my friend sat behind me in American History class, and he would constantly make Rush related comments to whatever the teacher was saying.  One of his most frequent was "suddenly you were gone."  At the time, I'm not sure either of us really comprehended the meaning of the lyrics.

28 Animate

I had this at 30...so close!!  Counterparts was a monster album for me at the age of 20, what a way to kick off the album.  The band is on fire on the studio version, and while it was always good live, it always felt like it didn't have the energy and urgency of the studio version.  Geddy's bass tone and playing in this song is just ridiculous, in particular.

This song is just ok.  I had it at #92, but I feel like it's more than 5 spots better than Afterimage.  Verses are ok, but not a fan of the choruses, and I'm not a fan in general of starting a song with a chorus.  VERY surprised it's ranked this high and is the highest ranked song on Counterparts -- especially given how many songs Counterparts got into the top 75.

27 The Garden

I figured this would finish pretty high, even though I had it at 57.  Very nice song, and a helluva way to end their studio career.  I still feel like Neil, deep down, knew that Clockwork Angels would be their last album, and wrote the lyrics to this one accordingly, knowing it would be the final track.  Pretty impressive.

I'm not surprised this song is ranked this high.  In fact, given all the love I see it get, I'm actually somewhat surprised it isn't higher.  I had it at #155.  Zzzzzzz.....  Of course, I now know that my #3 song on the album, BU2B, won't be in the top 75.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)

2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 2 songs (The Enemy Within - #49; Afterimage - #29)
Power Windows - 5 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30)
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34)
Presto - 3 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33)
Roll the Bones - 4 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32)
Counterparts - 6 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40; Animate - #28)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS
Clockwork Angels - 4 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42; The Garden - #27)

Counterparts retakes the lead with its 6th and final song.  I'm guessing it won't hold the lead very long.  Only 2112 through POW and Presto to be represented in the top 26.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #1180 on: March 21, 2022, 12:00:36 PM »
I have Animate at 30, so right around the consensus. It’s a great opener, just a fantastic drum groove with a really strong bass line under it. Really like the subtler keyboard on the verses. The bridge is really nice too. The lyrics are a bit weird (don’t necessarily subscribe to that Jungian notion, though it probably has some merit), but they actually sing really well I think and set up the “counterparts” theme for the whole album. Just a really strong way to kick off the album.

The Garden was hard to rank. I really like it a lot, but despite some sentimentality with it being Rush/Neil’s final song, I was kind of consciously trying not to rank it higher than some other songs that I just enjoy more. As it is, it’s a lovely farewell to an amazing career. Wish the production weren’t so muddy, but it’s still good. I ended up ranking it at 60, but it could have gone up another 10-15 spots theoretically.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1181 on: March 21, 2022, 12:16:11 PM »
Surprising no one, least of all TAC, it looks like I'm going to have a fair number of songs in my top 50 that didn't even make the 75 list. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1182 on: March 21, 2022, 12:35:21 PM »
Surprising no one, least of all TAC, it looks like I'm going to have a fair number of songs in my top 50 that didn't even make the 75 list.

Looking at my list, none of my top 10 have appeared, but I'm relatively confident all of them will appear.  In the next group of 10, two have appeared.  With one exception, I think the rest will appear.  In the next couple groups, I've got four that I either know or am fairly sure won't appear and ten that have already appeared.  By my estimation, that's 35 of my top 40 that have appeared or I think will appear, which I think is pretty good.  Rounding out my top 50, four of my 41-50 songs are for sure shut out.

Looking only at albums that we know are done, I'm a little surprised Finding My Way didn't make the top 75, and I'm a little bummed (but not that surprised) that Beneath, Between & Behind didn't make it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 01:47:01 PM by pg1067 »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1183 on: March 21, 2022, 01:08:31 PM »
Time Stand Still is a good song, and one that's nice to play for non-Rush fans. In fact, for our wedding reception, the wedding party entrance music was TST. I remember one friend who's a huge country fan asked me who it was after the fact, since she really liked it. Still, there are many others in Rush's catalog that I'd listen to first, so I ranked it as #92.

I appreciate the sentiment and lyrics of The Pass, but I never really gravitated to the song musically. Plus using "Christ" in the song has always bothered me a bit. It's #120 on my list.

Dreamline is one of the better songs on RtB and I've always appreciated it, although it felt a bit weird when they used it to open up some of their shows - to me it starts off too light and I'd rather see something more bombastic (TSoR has always been my #1 choice as Rush concert opener). At least this one made it to my top 75 list, at #52.

Middletown Dreams is kind of a mid-tier song for me within PoW itself, but given how much I love the album, I still really like the song a lot! I know Alex has commented that he didn't quite like the way it turned out, and that he kind of tried to do the same thing on Cold Fire with (in his opinion) better results, although I still prefer MD. #39 for me.

OTOH, Big Money is just OK. One of my least favorite tracks on the album. Part of that is due to "Big money" being the beginning of each line in the verses, which I always found a bit annoying. That said, the instrumental section and especially Alex's guitar solo are amazing - just wish I felt the same way about the rest of the song. #88 on my list.

Afterimage is one of my highest ranking p/g songs. It may have a bit of a dated sound to it, but the mood and emotion that are conveyed throughout the song are some of the most moving in light of the lyrics. It's a shame they never revisited it live after the p/g tour and so therefore I never got to see it live, but it's understandable, especially after Neil's tragedies. It ranked as #27.

Add me to the list of those who don't really get the appeal of Animate. It's an OK song, and I love the breakdown with Geddy's bass, but other than that, there's nothing that really stands out about the track to me. Was bummed that they chose it to play as opposed to one of the CP tracks that never got aired live on the R40 tour. #100 on my list.

But unlike pg1067, I am among the majority that loves The Garden - definitely a beautiful way to close out their recording career. I ranked it as #32.

With that said, I'm disappointed that there won't be any other CP or CA tracks to yet make the list. While I didn't necessarily expect Alien Shore (#11 - 2nd highest ranking CP track) to make it, I did have an outside hope that The Anarchist (#16 - highest ranking CA track) would. Guess not.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1184 on: March 21, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »
Alien Shore is a really fun track, really great energy. I had it on my list at 64. The other from CP on my list to not make it was Nobody’s Hero at 55. A little surprised that one didn’t rank.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1185 on: March 21, 2022, 01:29:19 PM »
So the 4 people who had The Garden in the top 10 all had it either 8, 9, or 10. Funny coincidence.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1186 on: March 21, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »
So the 4 people who had The Garden in the top 10 all had it either 8, 9, or 10. Funny coincidence.

I don't know about the others, but for me, as much as I love the song, I couldn't rank it higher than the ones I had above it. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1187 on: March 21, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »
28 Animate

27 The Garden

Animate - This came in at #64. I am a bit surprised it finished overall in the top 30. And the top song on CP? Weird. I like the song. As was mentioned above it has a great drum and bass groove. Plus it's another Rush song that is fun to sing along to.

The Garden - I liked this song waaaaaay more when the album was first released. I have since cooled on the song a bit, hence why it ended up at #66 for me, which feels right looking at the songs around it on my list. I really like the lyrics and how sentimental they are and it really is the perfect closer to the band's career. It's also another one of those songs that sounds nothing like anything else they've done.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1188 on: March 21, 2022, 03:34:53 PM »

28 Animate

27 The Garden

OK, too really great songs today. Also the end of songs from these two albums in the Top 75. Not surprised at all these are the two highest rankers.

Animate - my rank 32. Just a great song. I'm not a big fan of Counterparts as an album, but always liked this one.

The Garden - my rank 8. Not the only person to rank this top 10 or number 8! Just a magical song, the music and melodies on this one are just awesome. I have always loved this song and Geddy also does it justice vocally.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1189 on: March 21, 2022, 04:44:56 PM »
28 Animate (#51) - It has a great groove and very hypnotic/repetitive feel, in a good way. It shows very well the new sound of the band/album right from the start.

27 The Garden (#63) - It's a great song with beautiful lyrics and a truly emblematic position in Rush's catalogue.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)