Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52466 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #1120 on: March 19, 2022, 07:16:05 PM »
My brother and I were recording The Pass on our home 8 track.  My brother spent a month working on programming the drums only to have the program disappear.   He was flabbergasted.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1121 on: March 19, 2022, 07:17:02 PM »
43. Closer to the Heart - Me: Did not rank.   Neither list had it in the top 100.

Very overrated song.   It's pleasant enough.   It's just a little surprising that after swearing up and down that they were not going to try to write a radio hit...and then making it big with 2112 and not having a radio hit...that they would then turn around and write a radio hit.   3 minutes?  Check.  Catchy chorus?  Check.   Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-verse-chorus structure?  Check.   The live version with the extended jam is kindof cool.  I do enjoy playing it on the guitar.   It's fun I guess.

Closer to the Heart doesn't have a chorus (unless you consider the repeated last line of each verse as a "chorus").

38. By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Me #21

I love EVERY SINGLE SECOND of this song.  I'm starting to worry about you guys calling out the "Aftermath" section in "Of the Battle".    Haven't you heard of storytelling?  Atmosphere?    It's a perfect follow up to the "7/4 War Furor" section.   The aftermath of the battle would be brooding.   It literally makes me feel like I'm standing on the battle field in the aftermath....and it's totally quiet.  And then right into Alex's beautiful solo on "Hymn of Triumph".   Na son.  The entire Of the Battle section SLAYS and is way better than parts 1, 2 and 4 which almost seem like an afterthought.   Of the Battle is the entire point of the song. 

Yes, yes, yes, and also...YES!  I can't help but think that the structure of By-Tor was HEAVILY influenced by Gates of Delirium.  The Aftermath and Hymn of Triumph sub-sections are directly analogous to the "Soon" section of GoD.  Likewise, Challenge and Defiance and 7/4 War Furor are analogs to the long, chaotic instrumental section of GoD.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1122 on: March 19, 2022, 07:31:04 PM »
I don't think Closer to the Heart was an attempt to write a radio hit.  It just turned out to be one.

Also, Time Stand Still is indeed the highest ranked song from Hold Your Fire.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1123 on: March 19, 2022, 07:32:33 PM »
Yeah, I don’t know that I would call Closer to the Heart an intentional radio hit. It was short, but hardly a traditional pop structure. I’m always amazed by how proggy that song is for being less than 3 minutes. I think on the album it almost serves as more of a segue, but it works just fine as a commercial track too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: March 19, 2022, 07:39:39 PM »
I don't think Closer to the Heart was an attempt to write a radio hit.  It just turned out to be one.

Agreed. Rush never tried to write a hit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1125 on: March 19, 2022, 08:14:06 PM »

Huh. I had Turn The age at #35 and Lock And Key at #37. Those were my highest HYF tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1126 on: March 19, 2022, 09:14:36 PM »

The Pass came in at 53 for me. While I’m aware this is easily the fan favourite for Presto, this is definitely not my highest ranked off the album (and I’m pretty sure the two I had in front of it will not meet the list). Copy my sentiments about Geddy and Neil from TSS and you have a lot of my comment for this one.

I actually didn't know The Pass was the fan favourite from the album. I also have 2 songs ranked higher than The Pass from Presto, hoping at least one makes it, pretty sure the other one doesn't but yes the odds aren't looking good now for either of them.

I kind of hate those “fan favourite” speculations.  I mean, how do you even arrive at that?   I know for me when someone says “fan favourite” I invariably think “I guess I don’t count as a fan, then!”  😄😄😄

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1127 on: March 19, 2022, 09:16:52 PM »

Huh. I had Turn The age at #35 and Lock And Key at #37. Those were my highest HYF tracks.

Highest ranked in this cumulative top 75, fool. :P

And the fact that I got you to repost a Taylor Swift gif earlier made me giggle.  I just won the day.  :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: March 19, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »
Tim a fool?   Ot surprised. Lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1129 on: March 19, 2022, 09:53:16 PM »
34. Time Stand Still (N/A).  Didn’t make my list, but I do enjoy this song.

33. The Pass (28).  Not too far off from the consensus, and of my favorites from Presto.  Great use of dynamics, and I love how they end it with the vocal. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1130 on: March 19, 2022, 10:13:52 PM »

The Pass came in at 53 for me. While I’m aware this is easily the fan favourite for Presto, this is definitely not my highest ranked off the album (and I’m pretty sure the two I had in front of it will not meet the list). Copy my sentiments about Geddy and Neil from TSS and you have a lot of my comment for this one.

I actually didn't know The Pass was the fan favourite from the album. I also have 2 songs ranked higher than The Pass from Presto, hoping at least one makes it, pretty sure the other one doesn't but yes the odds aren't looking good now for either of them.

I kind of hate those “fan favourite” speculations.  I mean, how do you even arrive at that?   I know for me when someone says “fan favourite” I invariably think “I guess I don’t count as a fan, then!”  😄😄😄

Yes good point! And I agree.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: March 19, 2022, 10:22:15 PM »

That's disappointing.  I had Time Stand Still at 21 but had Lock and Key ahead of it at 18.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1132 on: March 19, 2022, 11:54:19 PM »

I didn't vote, but if I did, Available Light would have been the highest from Presto and pretty high overall.  (Not trying to get either of you to reveal yours, just suspecting AL might be one of them).

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: March 20, 2022, 01:53:53 AM »
On a different day, Time Stand Still might not have been my number one. But it'd always be there, somewhere near the top.

It's my number one on this occasion, partly because of this verse:

Summer's going fast
Nights growing colder
Children growing up
Old friends growing older

It has the ability to make me tear up. Not every time. But often enough.

My (favourite) nephew, in his late teens now, actually wrote that verse in my birthday card a couple of months ago without having any idea how I felt about the verse or indeed the song itself.

The song as a whole is also 'our', mine and my partner's, tune. At least, it has been for the last ten years. In the time since we did the rankings, we've taken the mutual decision to split-up. I'm now house hunting. But the worst fucking thing is I am going to miss our dog utterly and absolutely.

I don't suppose Time Stand Still will get any easier to listen to from here on out :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1134 on: March 20, 2022, 07:04:05 AM »
Sorry to hear that! Hopefully, the song can be one you can enjoy again sooner rather than later.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1135 on: March 20, 2022, 07:09:38 AM »
Sunday funday brings about three songs!!

32 Dreamline
Appeared on 18 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (nobloodyname)

This song is nothing short of magnificent, which is why I had it at 18.  Amazing live tune as well, especially when it was the opener, and of course it utilized the lasers.  Roll the Bones sees it representation on the top 75 end with this one, but what a way to end it.

31 Middletown Dreams
Appeared on 19 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 2 (wolfking)

Despite my mad love for Power Windows, this was just another good deep cut for me for probably the first decade of having the record, but then it was like one day it went from good to freaking amazing.  This one was at 23 for me, and we get some more fantastic lyrics from Neil in this one.

30 The Big Money
Highest Ranking: 6 (DTA, devieira73)

I had this one at 43.  As I watched the A Show of Hands VHS more times than I can count back in the day, and this was the opener, I pretty much know this song like the back of my hand. A bit overplayed for me in that sense, but still pretty damn great.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 07:27:39 AM by KevShmev »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: March 20, 2022, 07:29:50 AM »
A few fun facts as we keep moving forward:

-One number 1 song did not finish in the top 75

I'm pretty sure I know what song this is :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1137 on: March 20, 2022, 07:32:02 AM »
A few fun facts as we keep moving forward:

-One number 1 song did not finish in the top 75

I'm pretty sure I know what song this is :lol

I have no intention of outing the poster ;), but if he or she wants to own it in this thread, they can have at it.  :biggrin:

If not, I will reveal what song it is when I post the 76-165 songs here later next week (probably before I start the top 20).

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: March 20, 2022, 07:34:58 AM »
I'll own up to it but I'll let you post the song :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1139 on: March 20, 2022, 07:36:38 AM »
I'll own up to it but I'll let you post the song :lol

Haha, okay.  The reveal will come when I post 76-165 next week. 

Your number 1 finished at 128.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: March 20, 2022, 07:38:28 AM »
That's honestly better than I expected..

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1141 on: March 20, 2022, 08:11:30 AM »
32. Dreamline (70).  I would imagine, if I redid my list, this would probably end up ranking higher.  I go through phases where I like this song a lot, and then not so much.  Great album opener, and really cool to see live.

31. Middletown Dreams (33).  Not too far off the consensus again.  I love the arrangement of this tune, and those huge synth textures on the choruses.  I had Power Windows blasting in the house yesterday, and this one sounded really good on my speakers.

30. The Big Money (22).  Synth era Rush is my favorite Rush, and this song is a big reason why.  The way they incorporated the synths into their sound is really cool and interesting.  I know Trent Reznor agrees with me!  I like how they go into the chorus before they hit the first verse, which is a really cool arrangement trick.  The middle section is also brilliant, in particular Alex’s solo and Neil’s drumming underneath the solo.  Fantastic tune.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1142 on: March 20, 2022, 08:21:26 AM »
Three more amazing songs today.

Dreamline came in at 20 for me. Just a flat out great opener, fun to sing along to, great drumming, classic Alex making amazing sounds on the solo, one of my earlier Rush memories hearing this on the radio. Still love it.

Middle Town Dreams was 33. It’s a flat out beautiful song, and again a fantastic Alex solo. Really a lot of Alex on this song in general. Some really tasty drumming, and generally great lyrics again. The one part that’s always sort of bugged me is the rhyming of “guitar” and “star,” for some reason. But otherwise it’s a lyric that really lands for me. And Geddy really cuts loose on the outro.

The Big Money was my number 8 song. Another tremendous opener, and this also opened the Retrospective II set that was my first Rush purchase, so it holds a special place for me. What a burst of light and energy coming out through your speakers! Neil really drives this one with that huge snare sound. But I also love how he plays the main figure at the start on all the different drums. Geddy and Alex are rocking out, and Alex really blows his solo out of the water too. Just a great rocker, especially the big vamp after the chorus which comes back on the outro. Those snare rolls on the outro are amazing and one of my favorite moments from Neil. I half expected to be the high person on this one, the first of my top 10 where I wasn’t so far, but I’m glad I’m not alone in loving this one.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1143 on: March 20, 2022, 08:28:38 AM »

I don't know if The Pass is a "fan favorite"...from a few relatively more recent band interviews, it was mentioned a couple of times it was one of their favorites...whatever it's worth, of course  :) There are many instances where fan favorite/band favorite are very different concepts, and I suspect that's all the more frequent with Rush  ;D

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1144 on: March 20, 2022, 08:30:28 AM »

That's disappointing.  I had Time Stand Still at 21 but had Lock and Key ahead of it at 18.

Time Stand Still was my highest ranked on HYF as well, but I did, too, rank Lock and Key (#50)...great song...

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1145 on: March 20, 2022, 08:59:36 AM »
My apologies for the multiple posts - I was catching up on the thread and replied to individual posts instead of quoting them in a single response...

Anyway, on to this (exciting!) batch:

Dreamline (ranked #13)

What is there to say? Fantastic song, fantastic opener. My top ranked from Roll the Bones, with great performances from everyone.

Middletown Dreams (ranked #10)

My first top-ten in the aggregate ranking! I think I have commented extensively on this one already, either earlier on this thread, or the main Rush thread.  I guess I can say this is my favorite "deep" Rush track. I remember it struck me from the very first time I listened to Power Windows, and it's my highest ranked from that record. I love everything about it, the way the verses build, the magnificent chorus, the "middle-aged Madonna" section, the amazing drum and bass work, Alex's playing. Brilliant.

The Big Money (ranked #70)

I like this song (it's in the top 75 after all!), but clearly a little less than the aggregate consensus. It works great as an opener, and I always enjoy it when it comes up...I just don't love it as much as many other songs on the album.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1146 on: March 20, 2022, 09:38:21 AM »
Sunday funday brings about three songs!!

32 Dreamline

31 Middletown Dreams

30 The Big Money

Dreamline, didn’t rank it, but it’s pretty great. Only thing is Alex never did a solo that wowed me on this one. There’s a lot of tension and relief moments on this one too, perhaps too many.

Middletown Dreams, I’m one of the top 10 holders for this one, with it coming in at number 4. I’m not at all surprised to see someone holds this one higher than I do, but dud think it would be someine’s number one. Killer solo, amazing intro, perfection of lyrics. Love it!!

The Big Money arrives at number 14. The second highest album opener on my list (to one that I’m really expecting to be in the top 20, if not 10 (if not 5). Bit cheesy, but when Power Windows is such a pizza of an album (even when it’s at its lowest, it’s still great), for this to come out swinging the way it does, it deserves to be in my top 20!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1147 on: March 20, 2022, 11:04:06 AM »
32 Dreamline

This song is nothing short of magnificent, which is why I had it at 18.  Amazing live tune as well, especially when it was the opener, and of course it utilized the lasers.  Roll the Bones sees it representation on the top 75 end with this one, but what a way to end it.

31 Middletown Dreams

Despite my mad love for Power Windows, this was just another good deep cut for me for probably the first decade of having the record, but then it was like one day it went from good to freaking amazing.  This one was at 23 for me, and we get some more fantastic lyrics from Neil in this one.

30 The Big Money

I had this one at 43.  As I watched the A Show of Hands VHS more times than I can count back in the day, and this was the opener, I pretty much know this song like the back of my hand. A bit overplayed for me in that sense, but still pretty damn great.
Dreamline - This came in at #28. This was the first song I heard by Rush outside of the Moving Pictures album. I used to listen to this song (and album) all the time when it first came out. Still love this song and it was made even better when they played it live! Love the lyrics on this one especially.

Middletown Dreams - Love, love, love this song! Ranked at #19 for me, but looking at my list it probably could have ranked a little higher. No matter. Everything about this song is perfection. The lyrics are thought provoking, the music interplay between everyone is perfect, and Geddy's vocals continue to build in intensity throughout the song. And this is still only my second favorite track from Power Windows. I'm sure my favorite is still to come...stay tuned.

The Big Money - This is my least favorite on Power Windows, but still landed at #63. It's a great song and I absolutely love the live version on Rush In Rio. Great rockin outro and just the right amount of cheesy synths spread throughout the song! Not the biggest fan of the lyrics, but as was mentioned above, it's fun to sing along to.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1148 on: March 20, 2022, 12:06:00 PM »
Just to get y'all thinking, the next song (#29) is one that if you had asked me before I saw any lists if it would make the top 75, I would have leaned towards yes, but it not making it would not have surprised me, so to say I was stunned to see it finish at 29 would be an understatement.

Hint: I believe it was played on only one tour by the band ever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1149 on: March 20, 2022, 12:19:52 PM »
32 Dreamline

31 Middletown Dreams

30 The Big Money

I had Dreamline at #10. It's such a high energy song that always gets me going. I was surprised at how high I actually had it, but in a way, I'm not because this is a great and consice song.

I had Middletown Dreams as Not Rated.

I had Big Money as Not Rated. I really felt they tried to shove this song down my throat. And it's not even that good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1150 on: March 20, 2022, 12:27:51 PM »
Wow...I'm not surprised these three songs made the top 75 (although only one made my top 75), but these rankings are MUCH higher than I'd have expected.

32 Dreamline

I had it at #108.  It's not a bad song...in the way that the lead singles from POW and HYF aren't bad.  It's just not great.

31 Middletown Dreams

This is the one of today's three songs that made my top 75.  I had it at #69.  It's pretty far and away the best song on side 2 of POW and my third highest ranked song from POW.  I initially didn't care for it but have grown more fond of it recently.

30 The Big Money

I don't remember if I first heard this song on the radio or via the video.  I recall thinking the bass tone was better than most of GUP, and I was happy when Geddy didn't have the Steinberger in the video.  This song was never great, and it has dropped a bit for me over time.  I had it at #86.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)

2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 5 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35; Middletown Dreams - #31; The Big Money - #30)
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34)
Presto - 3 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33)
Roll the Bones - 4 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41; Dreamline - #32)
Counterparts - 5 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 3 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42)

Power Windows charges up to take a tie (with Hold Your Fire and Counterparts) for most songs so far at 5.  Unless I've missed something, there are only 11 of 19 albums that will be represented in the top 29.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #1151 on: March 20, 2022, 01:18:46 PM »
Just to get y'all thinking, the next song (#29) is one that if you had asked me before I saw any lists if it would make the top 75, I would have leaned towards yes, but it not making it would not have surprised me, so to say I was stunned to see it finish at 29 would be an understatement.

Hmmm…Presto maybe? Or possibly Cinderella Man, Afterimage, or Losing It

Offline HOF

« Reply #1152 on: March 20, 2022, 01:23:03 PM »

Hmmm…Presto maybe? Or possibly Cinderella Man, Afterimage, or Losing It

He may be getting at my number one song, though I don’t think I was the only one to feature it there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: March 20, 2022, 01:36:54 PM »
I'm guessing Presto.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1154 on: March 20, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »