Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52446 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #1085 on: March 18, 2022, 03:32:42 PM »
 :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: March 18, 2022, 06:11:40 PM »
I have 3 Power Windows songs on my list, and all are 50+
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1087 on: March 18, 2022, 07:38:46 PM »
35 Mystic Rhythms
Appeared on 17 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 3 (DTA)

I had this at 37, so pretty close to where it finished.  I love how this is one of those songs that is unlike anything else the band ever did, and yet is still pretty damn amazing.  Neil's drumming, which was so creative and so different from his normal rock approach, goes to another level.  Killer stuff all-around.
Mystic Rhythms - This came in at #23 for me. I love this song! The atmosphere and how open and cavernous it sounds just demands my attention. This is also another one of those songs like Bravado that I just love the overarching drum pattern that Neil plays throughout most of the song. They are both songs I love to play to warm up on the drums and focus on limb independence. I also love the way the synths explode into the chorus. And as was mentioned this is yet another Rush song that sounds like nothing else they've done. It's interesting and damn impressive how many of those songs they have.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1088 on: March 18, 2022, 09:33:50 PM »
Mystic Rhythms - 52 for me.

I'm a bit surprised in myself that I have 6 PW songs in my top 75. I would never call PW one of my fav Rush albums so not sure what is going on. Actually I can see it is a very polarising album on the forum and I actually get that. But with 6 songs in the top 75 maybe I like it more than I thought!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: March 18, 2022, 09:39:37 PM »
Mystic Rhythms was number 15 for me.  What a song, what an atmosphere.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1090 on: March 19, 2022, 12:07:39 AM »
Mystic Rhythms - 52 for me.

I'm a bit surprised in myself that I have 6 PW songs in my top 75. I would never call PW one of my fav Rush albums so not sure what is going on. Actually I can see it is a very polarising album on the forum and I actually get that. But with 6 songs in the top 75 maybe I like it more than I thought!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1091 on: March 19, 2022, 07:01:25 AM »
One of today's songs is another that someone has as their number 1, and the other made a top 5!

34 Time Stand Still
Appeared on 18 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 1 (nobloodyname)

I put this at 51.  Some of Neil's best and most timeless lyrics.  Just a wonderful tune.  It was also possibly their worst video. :lol

33 The Pass
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 4 (wolfking)

Speaking of great lyrics, this is also among Neil's best.  I had this at 38.  The music matches the tone and message of the lyrics perfectly.  A brilliantly crafted song.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: March 19, 2022, 07:21:25 AM »
to semi catch up

53 Entre Nous (#52) just between us, I almost nailed it. 

52 Ghost of a Chance (NR)

51 Vital Signs (#24)  On its own, #51 is about right.  A damn good album closer on a terrific album, which gave it a huge bump for me.  Always the last or next to last song on my ‘best ofs’.   I love to deviate from the norm, so it fits me quite nicely.  Love the percussion during the fade out.

50 Force Ten (#37)  Good song, great album opener. Kinda of a tease, as nothing else on HYF rocked as hard.

49 The Enemy Within (#69)

48 The Weapon (#48 ) NAILED IT!  Such a good opener for Side 2 of 'Signals'.

47 Digital Man (#47) NAILED THIS ONE AS WELL!

46 Headlong Flight (#67)  one of the best from their final releases.

45 Circumstances (#16) starts off my favorite band album side in very good fashion.

44 Mission (NR) perhaps by this point of HYF I needed a bit more ‘oomph’.  Damn good instrumental ending.

43 Closer to the Heart (#34)  beautiful beginning that just keeps getting heavier and heavier.  There's nothing wrong with 'hits'.  The ‘Show of Hands’ version is top notch.

42 Caravan  (NR) I did have three CA songs listed, so it’s not that Geddy’s vocals interfered in my enjoyment of those songs.  It did for me on this one.

41 Bravado (NR)  I had two rated from RtB, this wasn’t one of them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 04:48:25 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1093 on: March 19, 2022, 07:54:21 AM »
Kev, you accidentally posted songs 134 & 133.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1094 on: March 19, 2022, 08:02:58 AM »
Ah yes, this is where Tim shows his ass again. :P

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: March 19, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »
 :lol
I had 'Time Stand Still' at #36, and 'The Pass' at #60.

I guess I don't deviate from the norm as much as some might think, unlike others who shalll remain nameless. :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1096 on: March 19, 2022, 08:52:46 AM »
34 Time Stand Still (#49) - Such a delicate song, with a theme that everybody can relate to and so well written. Great melodies all around.

33 The Pass (-) - Good song, not great to me. About its lyrics... I liked them much more, but now, I don't know... my understanding is that the majority of people commit suicide because they suffer from depression, which is a serious disease - and, in those cases, nobody is choosing to suicide.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 09:28:12 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online nick_z

« Reply #1097 on: March 19, 2022, 08:53:58 AM »
Time Stand Still (ranked #29)

My favorite song from Hold Your Fire. All-around wonderful tune, love Neil's drumming (shocking!) and the brief instrumental section is goosebump-worthy.

The Pass (ranked #38)

Love this one too. From a few interviews I've seen/read, it seems like it's one of the band's favorites. Certainly sounds very heartfelt, both musically and lyrically.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: March 19, 2022, 10:08:12 AM »
I was beginning to think The Pass wasn't going to make it. Pleasantly surprised it made 3 Top 10s. I had it at #6.

Loved it from the first listen, and didn't even know it was Rush right away. Didn't sound like the Rush from the 70s I loved, or from the 80s that I hated.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1099 on: March 19, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »
I don't think I could ever have ranked 75 Rush songs in any kind of order.  But I looked at the list so far and I am happy to see a bunch of Counterparts songs on there.  :)

On this page - I think Time Stand Still and The Pass are both awesome.  Great songs, great lyrics; the vocal melodies really fit the lyrics well in both cases.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1100 on: March 19, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »
34 Time Stand Still

I put this at 51.  Some of Neil's best and most timeless lyrics.  Just a wonderful tune.  It was also possibly their worst video. :lol

33 The Pass

Speaking of great lyrics, this is also among Neil's best.  I had this at 38.  The music matches the tone and message of the lyrics perfectly.  A brilliantly crafted song.
Time Stand Still - Another great song from HYF with some timeless lyrics from Neil. I had this at #52. Yes, the video was hella cheesy, but somewhat entertaining.

The Pass - This one came in at #29, so fairly close to the consensus. I love the atmosphere here. More great lyrics by Neil, that resonate with me a lot. As some of you may know, I had a really close friend commit suicide several years ago and the lyrics to this song just really hit home for me after that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline HOF

« Reply #1101 on: March 19, 2022, 10:28:52 AM »
Two good ones!

I have Time Stand Still at 21. Love the lyrics, and it has everything else you’d expect from a great Rush musically. One that gets more poignant with each year. The third really exceptional song from HYF (along with Force Ten and Mission). Also really love the Jacob Moon cover of this.

The Pass came in at 13. One of the things I love about this song is it’s primarily built around Geddy’s bass in the verses. Just an unusual approach, especially for a ballad but it gives it some extra gravitas. I really love Neil’s drumming on the pre-chorus. Love the “dreamers learn to steer by the stars/turn to look at the cars line (even if it is borrowed/modified). One that has gotten me choked up many times for sure.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:39:50 AM by HOF »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1102 on: March 19, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »
So, WAY behind, need to catch up:

50 Force Ten 69
49 The Enemy Within 48
48 The Weapon 22 (I really dig this song)
47 Digital Man 34
46 Headlong Flight 84 (Good not great, not good enough to make the list).
45 Circumstances 41
44 Mission 8 (I LOVE this song; I'm surprised I'm not the highest rank, but I'll take it!)
43 Closer To The Heart 35 (I like this a lot, but it pales next to the rest of the album; the intro is the ringtone for my dad).
42 Caravan 109
41 Bravado 100
40 Leave That Thing Alone 44
39 Witch Hunt 51
38 By-Tor And The Snow Dog 128 (I just think this is a silly song, even for 1974)
37 Grand Designs 135
36 Anthem 72
35 Mystic Rhythms 79 (After the Big Three, this is next.  The rest of the album blows).
34 Time Stand Still 47 (One of my favorite ALBUMS, but there are better on there than this).
33 The Pass 56

And for comparison, I have Tai Shan at 91.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1103 on: March 19, 2022, 02:08:00 PM »
A few fun facts as we keep moving forward:

-14 songs were placed at number 1 on a top 75
-The only song to get four votes at number 1 does not finish in the top 10
-One number 1 song did not finish in the top 75
-Only five songs were listed on all 25 top 75 lists

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: March 19, 2022, 02:21:42 PM »
Those are 4 pretty amazing facts. I was wondering about that last one, as we haven't seen a song yet represented on every list.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1105 on: March 19, 2022, 02:26:26 PM »

These are not only amazing facts, but at the same time not at all surprising. I think I said near the beginning of this that I could conceivably see almost any rush song placed as someone's #1
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1106 on: March 19, 2022, 04:03:50 PM »
34 Time Stand Still

34 seems really high for this song.  The verses are good, and the middle section is really good.  The chorus is not very good.  I had it at #86.

33 The Pass

The Pass is a really good song.  33 is a tad high, IMO.  I had it at #49.  The song is fairly typical of the best songs on Presto in that it's a slow build.  The verses are just OK, but the chorus is excellent.  Just a really well-crafted song.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 3 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35)
Hold Your Fire - 5 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44; Time Stand Still - #34)
Presto - 3 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64; The Pass - #33)
Roll the Bones - 3 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41)
Counterparts - 5 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 3 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42)

Hold Your Fire regains a tie with Counterparts for most songs so far at 5.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1107 on: March 19, 2022, 04:06:37 PM »

I'm confident my #1 is in the top 75, but I really hope it's not the song to miss the top 10!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1108 on: March 19, 2022, 04:22:42 PM »

I'm really curious to see what those 5 songs that made everyone's list are.  I'm sure there's at least one of those songs that is surprising!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: March 19, 2022, 04:23:25 PM »
Rush in Rio was my introduction to Rush and the Pass stuck out on that.  So that live version is the reason it ranks so high.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1110 on: March 19, 2022, 04:28:18 PM »
34 Time Stand Still

33 The Pass

I had Time Stand Still as Not Rated. It's a fine enough song. Love Neil's drum part in the chorus. I don't have anything against the song, I just didn't rate it.

I had Bravado Pt. 1 as Not Rated.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: March 19, 2022, 04:51:46 PM »
I know at least one other person here has my #1 as theirs, but I would be very surprised if it is in the Top 10.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1112 on: March 19, 2022, 04:56:50 PM »

34 Time Stand Still

33 The Pass

Yes, two good songs today.

Time Stands Still - my rank 16. Really love this song. The verses are just great and I actually enjoy the female vocals (I know this isn't for everyone...)

The Pass - my rank 58. Really good song. Love the middle part breakdown and build up.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1113 on: March 19, 2022, 04:59:48 PM »

These facts are crazy! Out of interest how many songs were on everyone's list in the Dream Theater top 100?

Pretty sure my number 1 will be in the top 75 but it has a very good chance of missing the top 10.

The five songs on everyone's list would nearly have to come from MP or Perm Waves albums?

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1114 on: March 19, 2022, 05:26:44 PM »

I'm really curious to see what those 5 songs that made everyone's list are.  I'm sure there's at least one of those songs that is surprising!

Odds seem likely some of them are the Epics (2112, Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1).

A song like Natural Science maybe as well, per I've always got the impression that track has become more and more loved with age as when I became a fan back in the early 90's, it was not often mentioned, but since they played it live over the last couple decades, it seems to have become a massive favorite among Prog fans.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1115 on: March 19, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »
I'm shocked at how quickly I can fall so far behind.   But I'm loving the reactions so far.

47. Digital Man - Me - Did not rank.  Both original lists had it outside the top 100.

My least favorite song from Signals.  But I did gain a better appreciation for it when they resurrected it on the Snakes and Arrows Tour.   

46. Headlong Flight - Me #52

Fantastic rocker.  I was giddy when I heard it the first time.  Still can't believe how they ended their career on such a high note.  And this is honestly one of the main reasons. 

45. Circumstances - Me #16

I think this was the song I heard on the radio that made me run out and buy Hemispheres.   Might be one of the most perfect albums in existence.  Every song made the top 30.   It's difficult to pick a least favorite from this album because every song is perfection.  I was shocked when they dusted this one off for the S&A tour.   I was actually worried about Geddy trying something that is one of his higher songs...but the tuning down sounded great and I think it turned out much better than I expected.

44. Mission - Me #70

I hate to see that I ranked this one so low.  I actually love it more than this ranking suggests.  That "cold comfort" breakdown section gives me goosebumps every time.

43. Closer to the Heart - Me: Did not rank.   Neither list had it in the top 100.

Very overrated song.   It's pleasant enough.   It's just a little surprising that after swearing up and down that they were not going to try to write a radio hit...and then making it big with 2112 and not having a radio hit...that they would then turn around and write a radio hit.   3 minutes?  Check.  Catchy chorus?  Check.   Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-verse-chorus structure?  Check.   The live version with the extended jam is kindof cool.  I do enjoy playing it on the guitar.   It's fun I guess.

42. Caravan - Me #54

In spite of the repetition in the chorus, I think it somehow works.   I actually got this stuck in my head for a whole week last week. 

41. Bravado - Me #40

I used to be with Tim on this one.  But then one day it just grabbed me and wouldn't let go.  Now I think it's one of the most beautiful things they've ever done.  Just a gorgeous and hypnotic melody.    And the punctuation on the "when the music stops" line is sublime. 

40. Leave That Thing Alone - Me: Did not rank.  This actually made #74 on my 2nd list and then got bumped on a last minute shuffle.  First list had it at 90. 

Love this song.  It's so much better than its predecessor which I actually don't care for that much.  Still, I'm a bit surprised that it made it this high in the ranking.    :tup

39. Witch Hunt - Me #45

This song creeped me out as a kid.  But in a good way.   I LOVED the lyrics straight away because they really shine a spot light on the ignorant people of the time who were seeing devil worship in even the slightest thing.   It really got ridiculous.   Excellent execution of the subject matter.  Captures the mood perfectly.

38. By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Me #21

I love EVERY SINGLE SECOND of this song.  I'm starting to worry about you guys calling out the "Aftermath" section in "Of the Battle".    Haven't you heard of storytelling?  Atmosphere?    It's a perfect follow up to the "7/4 War Furor" section.   The aftermath of the battle would be brooding.   It literally makes me feel like I'm standing on the battle field in the aftermath....and it's totally quiet.  And then right into Alex's beautiful solo on "Hymn of Triumph".   Na son.  The entire Of the Battle section SLAYS and is way better than parts 1, 2 and 4 which almost seem like an afterthought.   Of the Battle is the entire point of the song. 

37. Grand Designs - Me #34

When my friend first gave me Power Windows, I wasn't very impressed with The Big Money at all.  But when track 2 started, I was hooked almost immediately.    That intro synth going into the power chords is just perfection.   And the lyrics peaked my interest for the rest of the album.   Then it was just song after song after song pulling me in.   

36. Anthem - Me #32

In going from the first album to FBN, this was the PERFECT introduction to "the new Rush".   There was no doubt whatsoever that Neil made an immediate impression not only as a lyric writer, but as a musician.   Night and day difference.  When I put this record on, I think my face melted immediately.   

35. Mystic Rhythms - Me #51

boom....boom chi-chi.....boom.....boom chi-chi PAAAA

I wasn't as quite as high on this one at first...it had to grow on me a bit.   I still liked it, but now I absolutely love it.   I don't get for the life of me how people don't think this is one of Rush's musical masterpieces.  There is SO MUCH going on in these songs.   Tons of layering.   I think I still hear something new every time I listen to Power Windows. 

34. Time Stand Still - Me #66

The sentiment of the song is beautiful.   The delivery is a bit over polished and slick.   It's one of those songs that I love it when I hear it....but then I immediately don't feel like listening to it again. 

33. The Pass - Me #24

Wow.  How can anyone compare this with Bravado?   I mean.   I get that Bravado musically speaking is a bit repetitive and relies more on melody and mood and lyrics.   But I think The Pass is much more engaging song musically.   And the lyrics are even more heavy hitting than Bravado.     I have actually gotten a bit teary eyed when listening to The Pass.   Just a beautiful upbuilding song that screams at you to not give up when you sometime feel like packing it in. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1116 on: March 19, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »
One of today's songs is another that someone has as their number 1, and the other made a top 5!

34 Time Stand Still

33 The Pass

Time Stand Still, unranked. I like the song plenty, but I’m just never seeking this one out. Aimee Mann does a great job with the backing vocals, Geddy has some extremely tasty bass lines in this one and Neil penned a great lyric that stays with me. Just overall, not one I’ll come back to often.

The Pass came in at 53 for me. While I’m aware this is easily the fan favourite for Presto, this is definitely not my highest ranked off the album (and I’m pretty sure the two I had in front of it will not meet the list). Copy my sentiments about Geddy and Neil from TSS and you have a lot of my comment for this one.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1117 on: March 19, 2022, 06:43:08 PM »

34 Time Stand Still

33 The Pass

Time Stand Still, unranked. I like the song plenty, but I’m just never seeking this one out. Aimee Mann does a great job with the backing vocals, Geddy has some extremely tasty bass lines in this one and Neil penned a great lyric that stays with me. Just overall, not one I’ll come back to often.

The Pass came in at 53 for me. While I’m aware this is easily the fan favourite for Presto, this is definitely not my highest ranked off the album (and I’m pretty sure the two I had in front of it will not meet the list). Copy my sentiments about Geddy and Neil from TSS and you have a lot of my comment for this one.

Well - you can always revisit this one. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPSK_cV5n0

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1118 on: March 19, 2022, 06:45:11 PM »

34 Time Stand Still

33 The Pass

Well - you can always revisit this one. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPSK_cV5n0
To be fair, this is very much responsible for me not listening to the original more.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1119 on: March 19, 2022, 06:58:54 PM »

I actually didn't know The Pass was the fan favourite from the album. I also have 2 songs ranked higher than The Pass from Presto, hoping at least one makes it, pretty sure the other one doesn't but yes the odds aren't looking good now for either of them.