Author Topic: Official Top 75 Rush songs Thread!!! (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52468 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Top 75 Rush songs countdown Thread!!! (Top 75 going!!)
« Reply #1050 on: March 17, 2022, 03:34:41 PM »
Nah, I like both your running tally of the cumulative points for each album, as well as pg1067's updates on how many songs have made it from each album and where.  It's a little less work I have to do. :lol :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: March 17, 2022, 04:52:39 PM »
Nice to see Grand Designs so high.  I had it at 40.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1052 on: March 17, 2022, 05:03:41 PM »
37 Grand Designs
Appeared on 18 of 25 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 8 (DTA)

I had this at 32, but didn't think it would finish nearly as high as this.  Guess there are more Power Windows fans here than I thought (see: smart Rush fans :P).

36 Anthem
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 10 (MrMike)

As this was the first song on the first Rush album with Neil on drums, he announced his presence in kick ass fashion. Killer song that has held up well.  I had it at 49.
Grand Designs - This was a song that I hated when I first heard the PoW album, but it grew on me a ton over time. It ended up at #55. The bright keyboards mixed with Neil's very enthusiastic drumming just somehow captivates me now.

Anthem - An old favorite, landing at #57. The live version on Different Stages is the definitive version, imo. They took the already heaviness and speed of the studio recording and amped it up to 11. Just a blistering performance of an already fast song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1053 on: March 17, 2022, 05:11:27 PM »
I loved learning the solo to Grand Designs as a teen. Alex's solos were almost poetry to my ears.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1054 on: March 17, 2022, 05:14:41 PM »
Here is today's update!

37 Grand Designs

36 Anthem
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 10 (MrMike)

Grand Designs - my rank 26. A great song that has grown on me over the years as the whole Power Windows album has.

Anthem - my rank 54. Always loved this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1055 on: March 17, 2022, 05:17:51 PM »
What planet am I on?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1056 on: March 17, 2022, 05:27:19 PM »
37 Grand Designs

I had Grand Designs as Not Rated. I think it's awful, honestly, and it's not the kind of Rush that I like.

What's worse is that it's ranked at #37 and is only the second ranked POW song  to this point.  I'm dreading the possibility/probability that 6 of the top 35 songs will be POW songs.

You willing to put Big Money on that?  ;D ;)

If we're betting straight up, I'd say it's more likely that the 6 remaining POW songs will be in the top 35 (as bass ackwards as that seems to me).

The question is - how many complete Rush albums will feature in this Top 75? I figured all of Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Power Windows would. What about Signals? 2112? A Farewell To Kings? I haven't been keeping track, but I think pg has, so I'm interested in seeing how that goes.

Didn't Kev already tell us this?  I think he did (same time he told us that two albums are unrepresented), but I don't remember the number (my obsessive nature will force me to look after I click "post").  At this point, there's no way Signals (Chemistry), 2112 (Lessons and Tears) or AFTK (Madrigal) will be 100% albums.  The PEW and MP songs that seemed kinda sketchy have made the top 75, so I think it's a virtual certainty that they, along with Hemispheres, will make it.  And, as I mentioned above, I think the odds are now that 100% of POW makes it too.

Nah, I like both your running tally of the cumulative points for each album, as well as pg1067's updates on how many songs have made it from each album and where.  It's a little less work I have to do. :lol :tup

:tup  I figured you'd have said something by now if you minded.  By the way, now that we're more than halfway through, THANKS for doing this!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1057 on: March 17, 2022, 05:32:06 PM »
The question is - how many complete Rush albums will feature in this Top 75? I figured all of Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Power Windows would. What about Signals? 2112? A Farewell To Kings? I haven't been keeping track, but I think pg has, so I'm interested in seeing how that goes.

Didn't Kev already tell us this?  I think he did (same time he told us that two albums are unrepresented), but I don't remember the number (my obsessive nature will force me to look after I click "post").  At this point, there's no way Signals (Chemistry), 2112 (Lessons and Tears) or AFTK (Madrigal) will be 100% albums.  The PEW and MP songs that seemed kinda sketchy have made the top 75, so I think it's a virtual certainty that they, along with Hemispheres, will make it.  And, as I mentioned above, I think the odds are now that 100% of POW makes it too.

Ahhh, makes sense. Thanks. I haven't thoroughly read every reply in this thread so I may have missed all of that information the first time. I may or may not have helped getting all of POW in the Top 66... 😅
Not like POW is one of my all-time favorite Rush albums, or that my username here comes directly from that album's liner notes...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: March 17, 2022, 05:33:31 PM »
What planet am I on?

What part of the earth were you buried for 2 decades?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1059 on: March 17, 2022, 05:36:06 PM »
What planet am I on?

What part of the earth were you buried for 2 decades?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: March 17, 2022, 05:42:01 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1061 on: March 17, 2022, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: March 17, 2022, 05:48:00 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1063 on: March 17, 2022, 05:50:52 PM »
I figured you'd have said something by now if you minded.  By the way, now that we're more than halfway through, THANKS for doing this!

All good. :)  I am already plotting the next one, and it won't be me just going with the band that finished with the 2nd most votes in that poll I ran. I have a few ideas in mind.  :hat :hat

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1064 on: March 17, 2022, 06:24:16 PM »
curious where Middletown Dreams ends up.

As I posted a few weeks back, I struggle to rank songs, but if I had participated, I would have had a hard time not including that in my top 10.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: March 17, 2022, 06:36:20 PM »
What planet am I on?

The one where power windows are everywhere.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1066 on: March 17, 2022, 06:38:21 PM »
curious where Middletown Dreams ends up.

As I posted a few weeks back, I struggle to rank songs, but if I had participated, I would have had a hard time not including that in my top 10.

As it turns out, it's my favorite on Power Windows...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: March 17, 2022, 06:42:01 PM »
Watching Tim and pg bemoan tickles me. Lol

Chris is bemoaning as well, he is just doing it quietly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: March 17, 2022, 06:46:49 PM »
You are not as adamant.   Plus, it's so much more fun to pick on Tim. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1069 on: March 18, 2022, 06:13:41 AM »
As promised, featuring just one today since it is from Power Windows!!  :metal :metal

35 Mystic Rhythms
Appeared on 17 of 25 entrees
Highest Ranking: 3 (DTA)

I had this at 37, so pretty close to where it finished.  I love how this is one of those songs that is unlike anything else the band ever did, and yet is still pretty damn amazing.  Neil's drumming, which was so creative and so different from his normal rock approach, goes to another level.  Killer stuff all-around.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1070 on: March 18, 2022, 06:38:41 AM »
As promised, featuring just one today since it is from Power Windows!!  :metal :metal

35 Mystic Rhythms

I had this at 37, so pretty close to where it finished.  I love how this is one of those songs that is unlike anything else the band ever did, and yet is still pretty damn amazing.  Neil's drumming, which was so creative and so different from his normal rock approach, goes to another level.  Killer stuff all-around.

:rollin

Mystic Rhythms (ranked #32)

Same here, pretty close to the aggregate ranking and I'm quoting everything you said. Beautiful song, and so different. Alex's guitar creates some wonderful textures as well (as usual).

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1071 on: March 18, 2022, 06:57:27 AM »

35 Mystic Rhythms

Mystic Rhythms was my number 40 pick. As you said, Neil’s drums. There’s really not a whole lot more that needs to be said. The lyrics are actually quite beautiful, and I love the guitars in this one, even if they”re completely overshadowed by synth.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1072 on: March 18, 2022, 07:22:05 AM »
Love Mystic Rhythms. It came in at 12 on my list, and is such a great atmospheric track. You’re right, I don’t think Rush really attempted another track like this. Maybe a little bit with High Water, but that didn’t have the same swath of big keyboard and bass sounds. The whole thing is very cinematic. I love how it picks up for a second in the instrumental section and then kind of glides back down tempo wise. Some really amazing playing by Geddy on this track. So much cool stuff from Neil as well, and Alex ties it all together.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1073 on: March 18, 2022, 07:52:32 AM »
35. Mystic Rhythms (N/A).  This was the only song from Power Windows that didn't crack my Top 75.  It's an interesting track, for sure, but it's never really resonated with me.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1074 on: March 18, 2022, 07:56:25 AM »
35 Mystic Rhythms (#21) - Great and unique song, with a very ethereal vibe. Totally amazing the drum composition and the use of eletronics here, it's like all the song was composed around the drum parts.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1075 on: March 18, 2022, 09:47:40 AM »
35 Mystic Rhythms

When I was taking bass lessons, my teacher challenged me to pick a song I didn't like and learn the bass part.  This was the song I picked.  Having this at #35 is downright shameful.  I had it at #132.

The Score So Far
Rush - 1 song (Working Man - #56)
Fly by Night - 3 songs (Fly by Night - #70; By-Tor and the Snow Dog - #38; Anthem - #36)
Caress of Steel - 2 songs (The Necromancer - #67; Bastille Day - #59)
2112 - 2 songs (Something for Nothing - #63; A Passage to Bangkok - #58)
A Farewell to Kings - 1 song (Closer to the Heart - #43)
Hemispheres - 1 song (Circumstances - #45)
Permanent Waves - 2 songs (Different Strings - #57; Entre Nous - #53)
Moving Pictures - 2 songs (Vital Signs - #51; Witch Hunt - #38)
Signals - 4 songs (Countdown - #68; New World Man - #54; The Weapon - #48; Digital Man - #47)
Grace Under Pressure - 1 song (The Enemy Within - #49)
Power Windows - 3 songs (Emotion Detector - #66; Grand Designs - #37; Mystic Rhythms - #35)
Hold Your Fire - 4 songs (Prime Mover - #73; Open Secrets - #72; Force Ten - #50; Mission - #44)
Presto - 2 songs (Presto - #69; Show Don't Tell - #64)
Roll the Bones - 3 songs (Roll the Bones - #75; Ghost of a Chance - #52; Bravado - #41)
Counterparts - 5 songs (Double Agent - #74; Everyday Glory - #65; Cut to the Chase - #61; Cold Fire - #60; Leave That Thing Alone - #40)
Test for Echo - 2 songs (Test for Echo - #71; Driven - #62)
Vapor Trails - NO SONGS
Snakes & Arrows - NO SONGS

Clockwork Angels - 3 songs (Clockwork Angels - #55; Headlong Flight - #46; Caravan - #42)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1076 on: March 18, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »
Grand Designs is another great track on PoW - one of the reasons I really love that album, although several others (including Emotion Detector) rank higher for me. It placed at #29 on my list.

Always loved Anthem from the first time I listened to the whole FBN album. The version on AtWaS far surpasses the studio version, with Geddy going crazy during the chorus. And this song is another example of how to properly change the vocal melody later on in the band’s career - glad they brought it back for the RtB (in part) and R40 tours. It ended up at #34 for me.

OTOH, I’ve never been a huge fan of Mystic Rhythms. For the longest time, it never really clicked with me and would probably be my least favorite on PoW. However over time, I have grown to appreciate it more, especially after seeing it live on the Counterparts tour and then again on the R30 tour. Love that they kinda extended and jammed out the outro on the Counterparts tour. That would be my favorite version of this song. Still, it’s one of the PoW tracks that didn’t make my top 75, although this one missed by only a little, making it to #82.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1077 on: March 18, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »

You certainly didn't disappoint  :rollin

Now curious to see what Tim comes up with

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 01:39:53 PM by nick_z »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1078 on: March 18, 2022, 01:06:20 PM »
Wow, that is fucking gross. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1079 on: March 18, 2022, 01:08:24 PM »
OK, I actually had Mystic Rhythms at #43. It wasn't until A Show Of Hands that the song caught my attention. It's so much stronger than the studio version.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1080 on: March 18, 2022, 01:12:52 PM »
OK, I actually had Mystic Rhythms at #43.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1081 on: March 18, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
You certainly didn't disappoint  :rollin

Now curious to see what Tim comes up with

At least it won't get any worse.  Three of the five remaining POW songs were in my top 75 (although none as high of the levels we're at right now).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1082 on: March 18, 2022, 01:20:23 PM »
I had 4 and this was the second highest.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns