Author Topic: Fix the setlist (spoiler alert!)  (Read 9364 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fix the setlist (spoiler alert!)
« on: February 09, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
Well, now that we know it, songs and overall length, I though It would be funny to see which song/s you would swap and in favor of which others

Current Setlist:

The Alien 9:31
6:00 5:31
Awaken the Master 9:47
Endless Sacrifice 11:23
Bridges in the Sky 11:01
Invisible Monster 6:30
About to Crash 5:51
The Ministry of Lost Souls 14:57
A View From the Top of the World 20:23
-
The Count of Tuscany 19:17

Total: 112:11

My take

The Alien 9:31
6:00 5:31
Answering the Call 7:35
Transcending Time 6:24
About To Crash 5:51
About To Crash (reprise) 4:04
Losing Time 5:59
Trial of Tears 13:05
-

Total: 116:50

I know it's never gonna happen, but still.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 04:37:52 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Fix the setlist
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 03:16:44 PM »
The Alien
The Enemy Inside
Awaken the Master
Bridges in the Sky
Transcending Time
About To Crash
The Glass Prison
In The Name of God
A View From the Top of the World
-
Octavarium

Something like that.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 03:23:07 PM »
The Alien
Innocence Faded
Awaken The Master
Endless Sacrifice
Bridges In The Sky
Invisible Monster
Solitary Shell
ITPOE Pt 2 (Although I do like TMOLS too...)
View

Encore: Tuscany or Octavarium

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 03:24:58 PM »

Solitary Shell
ITPOE Pt 2 (Although I do like TMOLS too...)

I like these two choices.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »
The Alien
Surrender To Reason
Awaken The Master
Disappear
Invisible Monster
Lost Not Forgotten
Transcending Time
Speak to Me
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Out of Reach
Only A Matter of Time
A View From The Top of The World
—————
Viper King

-Surrender in place of 6:00
-Disappear/Invisible Monster in place of Endless Sacrifice
-Lost Not Forgotten in place of Bridges
-Transcending Time in Invisible Monster’s old place
-Speak to Me instead of About to Crash
-Out of Reach, OAMOT, and Viper King instead of Tuscany

There's songs I like better than Ministry but I haven't seen it live yet so I'll take it for the rarity factor
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:44:04 PM by DTA »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 03:40:18 PM »
Take out Invisible Monster, The Ministry of Lost Souls and A View from the Top of the World, and add in Sleeping Giant, Transcending Time and Octavarium, with 8V ending the show and The Count ending the normal set, and we are good.

The Alien
6:00
Awaken the Master
Endless Sacrifice
Bridges in the Sky
Sleeping Giant
About to Crash
Transcending Time
The Count of Tuscany

Octavarium

Offline 425

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 03:51:07 PM »
I tend to think that most of an album should be played on the tour promoting it, so I would want to see Sleeping Giant added in, at least, at the expense of either Endless Sacrifice or Bridges in the Sky (I like those songs about equally, so I could go either way, although I lean toward keeping Bridges in order to have one song from the 2010s).

I'd also like to see Transcending Time in place of either Invisible Monster or About to Crash.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kram

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 03:59:59 PM »
The Alien
The Enemy Inside
Awaken the Master
Bridges in the Sky
Transcending Time
About To Crash
The Glass Prison
In The Name of God
-
Octavarium

Something like that.
I like yours Hef - but I would substitute Transcending Time for Barstool Warrior (about the same length) So would be -

The Alien
The Enemy Inside
Awaken the Master
Bridges in the Sky
Barstool Warrior
About To Crash
The Glass Prison
In The Name of God
-
Octavarium

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 06:30:44 PM »
That set list is kinda perfect how it is. Sad I won't be seeing them though.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »
The Alien 9:31 --> Transcending Time, move

6:00 5:31 --> Answering the Call
 --> Keep, move
Endless Sacrifice 11:23 --> Keep

Bridges in the Sky 11:01 --> Keep, move

Invisible Monster 6:30 --> Keep, move

About to Crash 5:51
 --> Disappear 
The Ministry of Lost Souls 14:57 --> Keep

-> Move to the front, yes I am going bold!
-

--> Octavarium

Result:

Answering the Call 7:35

Invisible Monster 6:30
Transcending Time 6:25
Disappear 6:46

Bridges in the Sky 11:01
The Ministry of Lost Souls 14:57
-
Octavarium 24:00

I wanted to swap out 6:00 with Caught in a Web or Innocence Faded but that just isn't something James could pull off regularly.

A couple minutes longer, same number of songs, one more song from A View... I know it doesn't make sense to leave off The Alien but it's my least favorite new track.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 10:06:49 PM »
The only I would change would be to alternate between Invisible Monster and Transcending Time. Actually, Transcending Time would have worked perfectly to transition into About To Crash more so than Invisible Monster.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 12:04:58 AM »
Can honestly say, I didn’t know it was broken. Maybe a bit of sticky tape or something could fix it?

Alright, let’s be serious instead, and I’ll go through some changes that could make thus setlist a bit better for my mind.

The Alien
Awaken the Master / Answering the Call alternating
Blind Faith . Something Mangini hasn’t played yet, and is just a really great song. Fits the same sort of vibe as Sacrifice to my ear.
Sleeping Giant . Not gonna lie, James seems to be having trouble with Bridges right now, so this one might suit him better.
Transcending Time I’m really not a fan of Invisible Monster, some people are. Maybe this can also alternate like Master and Call, but I’d want Transcending at my show.
About to Crash + About to Crash (Reprise). With the next change I’m about to make, I’m sure we can fit in both versions of About to Crash. Would need an extended ending, but I’d love to hear both parts, as I really enjoy the Reprise.
Surrender to Reason or S2N alternating?. I’m sure I wasn’t the only person hoping one if not both of these last two would appear. Would be awesome to see the full Mangini era live.
Lines in the Sand. Not gonna lie, I was really really hoping for Lines this tour, as I was on Distance Over Time. 2015 had Burning My Soul, 2017 gave us Hell’s Kitchen, so I really want them to round off that beautiful trilogy from FII.
A View From the Top of the World - obviously.
The Count of Tuscany - I can honestly say, if the entire rest of the setlist dies off before it reaches Australia (which the whole idea of this tour probably won’t), I NEED this song. I love it, it’s perfect to me.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 02:58:50 AM »
The set list doesn't need fixin, all the songs they played translated very well live and had a nice flow..
Sure there are other songs I'd love to see too, but I'm just happy to see DT no matter what they choose to play.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Awaken

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 03:58:17 AM »
May want to add a 'spoiler' tag - I think there are still quite a few members who are trying to avoid the current setlist to keep it a surprise when they see the show.  The title is probably self explanatory enough, but just in case. 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 06:14:17 AM »
I quite like the setlist as it is. I can see why they've gone for what they've gone for - they've probably not had a lot of rehearsal time for this one, what with all the various pandemic stuff going on, so they've opted for songs that they've already played with MM, but perhaps not that frequently, while avoiding stuff they've played on recent tours. We all have our favourite DT songs, but the band aren't going to necessarily play them every tour just for you. Would I swap any of those songs for The Killing Hand? in a heartbeat, but I'm happy with what it is.

Oh, and The Count of F*cking Tuscany! How cool is that? I did not see that one coming back!  :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 06:27:26 AM »
I'm going to go with a "light touch" here and just suggest dropping Endless Sacrifice.
Don't really care for that song at all, and prefer shorter sets.

Slightlier heavier touch would be to also drop the Ministry of Lost Souls and replace it with something shorter like Forsaken as a little bit of a palette cleanser before the epic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 07:12:44 AM »
May want to add a 'spoiler' tag - I think there are still quite a few members who are trying to avoid the current setlist to keep it a surprise when they see the show.  The title is probably self explanatory enough, but just in case.
They should probably not be entering threads with the word "setlist" in the title.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2022, 07:13:09 AM »
The Alien
The Enemy Inside
Awaken the Master
Bridges in the Sky
Transcending Time
About To Crash
The Glass Prison
In The Name of God
-
Octavarium

Something like that.
I like yours Hef - but I would substitute Transcending Time for Barstool Warrior (about the same length) So would be -

The Alien
The Enemy Inside
Awaken the Master
Bridges in the Sky
Barstool Warrior
About To Crash
The Glass Prison
In The Name of God
-
Octavarium
I like Barstool Warrior, but we got it last tour.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2022, 07:17:13 AM »
No problems with it from me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
The only I would change would be to alternate between Invisible Monster and Transcending Time. Actually, Transcending Time would have worked perfectly to transition into About To Crash more so than Invisible Monster.

This, except no alternating.  Lose Invisible Monster, LOVE Transcending Time.

Offline MrMike

Re: Fix the setlist (spoiler alert!)
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2022, 05:36:59 PM »
I'd be good with just bumping Alien and Ministry in favor of two View songs that are (inexplicably) not being played.  I would also have About To Crash go into ATM.

Answering The Call
Sleeping Giant
Endless Sacrifice
Bridges In The Sky
Invisible Monster
About To Crash
Awaken The Master
A View From The Top Of The World

The Count of Tuscany

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 05:45:02 PM by MrMike »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 12:50:13 PM »
The set list doesn't need fixin, all the songs they played translated very well live and had a nice flow..
Sure there are other songs I'd love to see too, but I'm just happy to see DT no matter what they choose to play.

I mostly agree with that.  I mean, there are spots where I can say that in place of a couple of songs, I would subjectively prefer something else.  But it was a great set overall, and not much I would do to tweak it.

BUT, to me, Ministry could do with being subbed out.  I did my best to just enjoy the vibe and go with it.  But I think it still didn't do them any favors in terms of the set list.  It just goes on for too long at a slow-to-mid tempo, and didn't really seem to get much crowd reaction for most of it.  Part of me is glad I got to see a rarity performed.  But I think they would have been better off putting something else in the set.  At that track length, they could have put in a shorter ballad to slow down the set as well as a more upbeat song, and had plenty of space, such as:  S2N and Take Away My Pain, or Burning My Soul (low on my list, but I think it would be great live) and Out of Reach.  For me personally, I would have enjoyed either of those two combos a LOT more than Ministry.  (honestly, I would have loved even more if they put The Glass Prison or In the Name of God into that spot, but I know they wanted/needed something slower to have the set breathe a bit)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline NoFred

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »
I also didn’t think it needed fixing, *but*, the suggestion to replace TMoLS with ITPoE 2 is tremendous. Would make this the “Epic Closer Tour” plus a nice nugget after getting ITPoE 1 last time.

Offline Kram

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2022, 09:10:53 AM »
I also didn’t think it needed fixing, *but*, the suggestion to replace TMoLS with ITPoE 2 is tremendous. Would make this the “Epic Closer Tour” plus a nice nugget after getting ITPoE 1 last time.
That is an interesting idea.  I agree, that would be more epic and better than TMOLS.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 01:33:07 PM »
The more I think about it, I would have liked to have seen some of I&W and Scenes.

Come to think of it, this set list is the most recent set of songs I think they have ever played.

Also wish they had some of DOT on it.

I am glad they are playing Endless Sacrifice though. That was easily the song that got me into them.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 02:56:03 PM »
Just to be clear: if anybody should think that this setlist is perfect as it is, great!! :)
It's just a title for a thread.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2022, 09:12:54 PM »
Take out Invisible Monster, The Ministry of Lost Souls and A View from the Top of the World, and add in Sleeping Giant, Transcending Time and Octavarium, with 8V ending the show and The Count ending the normal set, and we are good.

The Alien
Awaken the Master
Endless Sacrifice
Bridges in the Sky
Sleeping Giant
About to Crash
Transcending Time
The Count of Tuscany

Octavarium

I realized I forgot to swap in Answering the Call.  I'd put there in and remove with About to Crash or Endless Sacrifice.

Call me crazy, but I feel that when you are touring on an album, you ought to feature it heavily, and this is the 2nd album in a row that has gotten poor representation in the live sets on the tour promoting the album.  I get that it is harder when you have as many albums as they do now, but why not give these later albums their fair shake in the set list the way the first 13 albums did?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2022, 10:11:15 PM »
"Poor representation?"  ???  They played 4 of the 7 songs, and over 46 minutes worth.  How is that poor representation?

I agree that a band should represent their new album on tour, and represent it well.  But...they are doing that, so I'm confused. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:53:14 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2022, 10:19:28 PM »
When I saw the setlist I thought "That's it for songs from the new album?" Then when I broke it down it was more than it felt like when I first read it. I don't know what the "right" level or representation would be, but this seems reasonable.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »
I don't think leaving out nearly half of the songs from the new album and less than 40% of the whole set being from the album is what I would call "good" representation.

Again, I get it, when you have 15 studio albums, it gets more difficult to feature too much new stuff as fans inevitably want to hear a bunch of older songs, but this is the drawback to the more static set lists of recent years, as the songs left off pretty much get lost in the abyss.  3 songs from DT12 were never played on the Along for the Ride tour, and one of the three, Surrender to Reason, a favorite among internet fans at the very least, has still never been played.  3 songs from Distance over Time (plus Viper King, if anyone wants to count that one) were not played on the last tour and none are getting played this tour either. 

I think I would find the lesser representation of the new album a lot less strange if they were at least playing a lot of other material from the Mangini era, but ignoring the three albums prior to the new one and then playing only four new songs on this tour (and not doing any rotating apparently) makes you wonder how good they really think their more recent material is.  With the exception of a few, songs in the Mangini era are getting the one and done treatment in the live sets on the big album tours.  Heck, even the massive fan favorite At Wit's End was only played on part of the last tour.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2022, 09:06:58 AM »
I definitely find it odd that less than half of the set is new stuff. However, I love the setlist so it's fine. Would've loved to have seen SG though tbh.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
I don't disagree with what your saying, I just am not going as far as you are. Below is what I can get behind the most.

With the exception of a few, songs in the Mangini era are getting the one and done treatment in the live sets on the big album tours. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2022, 09:20:12 AM »
Inevitably, they can't please everyone.  Play more "new" material, some fans will bitch they're not playing enough "classic" material.  It's a no win situation for them.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2022, 09:21:37 AM »
I’m ok with the set list (maybe I’ll think differently after seeing them next weekend) yet can agree with the sentiment the new album is underrepresented. Not by duration, but arguably the album’s top 3 songs were left on the shelf.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2022, 10:15:32 AM »
The Alien (9:31)
Surrender to Reason (6:35)
Awaken the Master (9:47)
Stream of Consciousness (11:16)
Bridges in the Sky (11:01)
Sleeping Giant (10:05)
Blind Faith (10:21)
The Ministry of Lost Souls (14:57)
A View From the Top of the World (20:23)

Octavarium (24:00)

Total: 127:56
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask