Author Topic: Seattle/Kent Show Feb 8 2022  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Seattle/Kent Show Feb 8 2022
« on: February 09, 2022, 12:59:13 PM »
I was too tired to post a review last night after the 2 hour drive back home.  I'll have to say that I love seeing DT in a arena setting!  They really cranked it up but it was crystal clear,  so it was a good loud.  DT are so good that they deserve to be selling out stadiums.
I had to laugh because Arch Echo was louder than Dream Theater. Their sound guy must really love bass because the sound of the kick drum and bass vibrated through my chest, which is overkill for my liking. They are a really good band though.
Dream Theater had a much more professional type sound. They were loud and proud but not insultingly loud.  Right out of the gate the mix was allready clear with The Alien so I knew we were all in for a treat. The set list was the same as the previous nights and Bosk described the show very well in the Oakland thread.  Spoilers ahead--

This might be my favorite DT concert of all time,  they were absolutely phenomenal and they looked like they were having the time of their life. The whole band was on point and JLB just killed it!  He nailed 6:00 which has a lot of high notes and he was great through the whole show.
JP like I said in another thread,  was just other-worldly with his performance and tone.  That was truly the best guitar performance I have ever seen in my life from anybody hands down,  absolutely beautiful!  :omg:

I loved the sound of the bass, Myung really shined and looked fearless up there. I thought Mangini's stripped down drum set was really cool and he's really fun to watch. My only minor complaint was the sound of his snare. It had too much of a loud pop to it at times, and it seems like the tone of it should be softened up a bit.

Jordan really has become a good performer and knows how to put on a great show. He owned it last night and could be considered MVP just as much as anyone else.  It's so fun when he breaks out his Keytar and comes up front and starts shredding with the other guys.
I just love his piano sounds during Awaken The Master when JP is tearing it up on the 8 string.

The title track AVFTTOTW was just how I imagined. One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed in my life, same with Count of Tuscany. That part with the guitar swells and keys towards the end was heavenly with the green and blue lighting. Everyone could tell Petrucci put his heart, mind, and soul into performing that part.  It made me reflect on so many aspects of my life in that section... Very emotional!

Final thoughts. The light show was spectacular, the sound was big and epic, and the band has shown that they are far from being done. They definitely made a statement last night.   :metal
I really hope they make a dvd from this tour, it would be a crime if they do not...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 01:07:03 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seattle/Kent Show Feb 8 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 02:13:50 PM »
Nice review and glad you really enjoyed the show!

This is TMOLS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmbbsdD93ms
And this is ES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL5FuumD7x0 (here JLB shines on the ending...)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 02:29:58 PM by DreamerTV »

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 05:14:50 PM »
It was indeed a great show!!
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »
Nice review and glad you really enjoyed the show!

This is TMOLS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmbbsdD93ms
And this is ES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL5FuumD7x0 (here JLB shines on the ending...)
Nice!  I don't remember James sounding pitchy at the show during MOLS verses.  I think something gets lost on these phone recordings. I was paying close attention to James' voice at the concert and he wasn't out of pitch at all. Also notice the guitar solo on the outro sounds pitchy on this recording, and I remember it being pitch perfect live.  I believe sometimes JLB gets a bad rap due to crappy phone recordings.
The little microphones installed in these phones are not professional grade and the pitch can be easily altered in the recording process.  There's movement,  phone cases interfering with the mic, and many more variables contributing to this.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 05:50:49 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 07:14:19 PM »
I think something gets lost on these phone recordings. I was paying close attention to James' voice at the concert and he wasn't out of pitch at all. Also notice the guitar solo on the outro sounds pitchy on this recording, and I remember it being pitch perfect live.  I believe sometimes JLB gets a bad rap due to crappy phone recordings.
Quite the opposite. You being there, with all the excitement and the high volume colors your perception of what happened. Those phone recordings record everything in an unbiased manner. They may not be high-fidelity recordings, but that doesn't mean that they alter the pitch of a vocal or a note or anything of the sort. Far from it. A person's mind, on the other hand, can and often does just that unless the vocal or note is terribly off.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 08:31:45 PM »
Anyone have pics from this show? I’d love to see the arena setup.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 02:43:18 AM »
I have a few good ones on my phone, but I don't know how to post them on this forum. Is there a way to do it from a phone without having to go to a computer??

Offline Awaken

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 03:54:47 AM »
Great review - thanks for sharing!  I'm about to see them for the 22nd and 23rd times and I couldn't agree more with the following - it's pretty much the feeling I leave DT shows with:

JP like I said in another thread,  was just other-worldly with his performance and tone.  That was truly the best guitar performance I have ever seen in my life from anybody hands down,  absolutely beautiful!  :omg:

JP comes to freakin' play EVERY show.  Not saying other band members don't, on the contrary - I've never heard them sound bad.  But as a (novice, at best) guitarist, I can only sit in awe of JP and what he brings to the live show.  It's amazing to me, there is no other word.  I cannot wait to see this album represented live!

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 06:08:16 PM »

I posted a number in the Dream Theater Group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld/
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 08:50:22 PM »

I posted a number in the Dream Theater Group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/dreamtheaterworld/

Sweet! Thanks!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 07:56:49 AM »
Great vids, I tried sharing one of those on my timeline but I don't know if it worked yet.