Author Topic: Some thoughts on the Oakland, CA show (Feb. 6, 2022) - SPOILERS INSIDE  (Read 3738 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Some thoughts on the Oakland, CA show (Feb. 6, 2022) - SPOILERS INSIDE
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2022, 09:56:59 AM »
The other advantage to flying solo is that you can often find a better seat than if you are trying to find 2 together.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2022, 12:14:22 PM »
With a three-month old at home and the complete lack of any adult 'male' friends in the area, odds are slim I will be able to catch DT on this tour (heard an ad on the radio this morning :-\)
I don't know your exact circumstances, but if not having anyone to go with is a big reason why you're not gonna go, don't let that stop you! When I road tripped to see the band in 2004 and 2006, I went for myself for the most part and still had a great time. I think at most shows, I ended up chatting with some other fans at some point anyway, and sometimes met various forumers at some of the shows, too. Plus flying solo, you usually are able to get much better seats than if you go with friends. So give it some more thought before you give up the opportunity that you may have.  ;)

Very good point and super appreciated—if that was the 'only' reason, I'd definitely already have a ticket, but I am having a really difficutl time justifying leaving my wife alone with our kid for anything other than work. I get that this will eventually fade, but at three months old, this is where I am at :azn:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2022, 12:25:31 PM »
With a three-month old at home and the complete lack of any adult 'male' friends in the area, odds are slim I will be able to catch DT on this tour (heard an ad on the radio this morning :-\)
I don't know your exact circumstances, but if not having anyone to go with is a big reason why you're not gonna go, don't let that stop you! When I road tripped to see the band in 2004 and 2006, I went for myself for the most part and still had a great time. I think at most shows, I ended up chatting with some other fans at some point anyway, and sometimes met various forumers at some of the shows, too. Plus flying solo, you usually are able to get much better seats than if you go with friends. So give it some more thought before you give up the opportunity that you may have.  ;)

Very good point and super appreciated—if that was the 'only' reason, I'd definitely already have a ticket, but I am having a really difficutl time justifying leaving my wife alone with our kid for anything other than work. I get that this will eventually fade, but at three months old, this is where I am at :azn:

I COMPLETELY understand.  My first was born in May 2002.  I got a pass to see Rush in September 2002, but that was the only concert I saw until July 2004 (at which time we'd had our second kid, who was six months old).  Believe me when I tell you that it will do you good to take whatever time you can to get away -- both individually and as a couple -- even if it's only for a few hours.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2022, 02:04:09 PM »
The other advantage to flying solo is that you can often find a better seat than if you are trying to find 2 together.

And often cheaper if you do what I do and wait until day of to snag a ticket someone is desperately trying to offload (doing this for the Ghost/Volbeat show tomorrow, second hand tickets are already cheaper than buying them from livenation and I suspect they will go down further by the time the show is about to start).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »
I just went to the Seattle show solo and it was over a two hour drive each way. My friend that was supposed to come with me backed out an hour before it was time to head out. I gave away my extra ticket at the venue. Anyway, I had a great time and it was totally worth the trip. I met some cool people at the venue and I ended up moving to a seat a few rows up where nobody was around. I had a clear, close, unobstructed view too see perhaps my favorite band of all time!   Going solo can be really cool.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2022, 08:47:44 AM »
And I'll add my voice to those who don't mind flying solo at concerts. 

+1

I do it all the time, sometimes it's a lot more fun to just go solo.  Depends on who you go with, but some friends just hold you back from enjoying the show (complaining, making you leave early, talking too much).

This...totally this. I probably hit 90% of my shows solo, mainly cause most of my friends aren't into the small market metal shows I favor. It's all benefits though, I always meet tons of cool people, have made some longer term friends. I always get to do exactly what I want, and I'm always at the front boards (since they're mostly GA shows) cause there's nobody to make decisions with. I just fucking go.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2022, 07:58:39 AM »
I did wonder though about James. He was chewing gum it seemed.

I noticed the gum chewing as well in one of the video clips and my first reaction was, wtf, how can he sing while chewing gum?! But I think it may actually have a purpose - possibly to keep tension out of his jaw and tongue base muscles. That kind of tension raises the larynx which I think has been his biggest issue in recent years, along with bringing up too much 'weight' from chest voice/heavy mechanism. The gum chewing is likely a strategy against these tensions, which by releasing the tension allows for the relaxed jaw and open throat needed for beautiful, unhindered high notes  :heart That's my unofficial/unconfirmed theory!  :biggrin:

I say whatever works for him is great! As long as he doesn't accidentally spit it on someone in the front row!  :rollin

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2022, 09:10:09 AM »

I noticed the gum chewing as well in one of the video clips and my first reaction was, wtf, how can he sing while chewing gum?! But I think it may actually have a purpose - possibly to keep tension out of his jaw and tongue base muscles. That kind of tension raises the larynx which I think has been his biggest issue in recent years, along with bringing up too much 'weight' from chest voice/heavy mechanism. The gum chewing is likely a strategy against these tensions, which by releasing the tension allows for the relaxed jaw and open throat needed for beautiful, unhindered high notes  :heart That's my unofficial/unconfirmed theory!  :biggrin:

I say whatever works for him is great! As long as he doesn't accidentally spit it on someone in the front row!  :rollin

Or choke! Then who in the band will have to perform the heimlich manuever?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2022, 09:11:31 AM »
Petrucci can do it with one arm.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2022, 11:03:25 AM »
Or choke! Then who in the band will have to perform the heimlich manuever?

Heaven forbid!  :omg:

Offline Ayeegit

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2022, 08:06:29 AM »

James actually had a bit of a "gum mishap" during the Denver show. Apparently he got some of his hair in his mouth, and it got stuck in his gum. I must have been focused on one of the other guys when it happened, as I didn't notice it - but he talked about it after the song. Even turned it into a bit of a commercial for Dentine Ice  :yarr

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2022, 08:30:22 AM »
A lot of singers chew bum onstage.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2022, 09:30:55 AM »
Who's?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2022, 10:47:49 AM »

Not going to that show!! :omg:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2022, 12:39:27 PM »

Now I'm really interested in having a front row seat for the NJ show

Offline Architeuthis

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP