Author Topic: Some thoughts on the Oakland, CA show (Feb. 6, 2022) - SPOILERS INSIDE  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Morning everyone. Hit up the Oakland, CA gig last night with bosk and a friend of ours. Hadn't seen either of them in a long time, so it was nice to get together. The venue was beautiful. The Fox Theater is just a classy place to see any show. Really easy to get to (most of the time, more on that in a sec), very open feel once you are inside, helpful staff, I always love going to the Fox and I'm glad it seems that's where DT hits up most of the time.

For context, this was my 15th time seeing Dream Theater. I'm a Long Island kid who now lives across the country, so seeing the hometown boys (I guess these days its just JP and JR, as I believe JM lives in PA) is always fun. Got into DT in 1996 (a little late), but I have been fortunate to see a lot of historic gigs in NYC and the east coast as well as out west. The last time I saw them was in 2019 (like I am sure many of you) on the DoT tour.

Anyway, traffic was horrendous. I still managed to get there a half-hour before Arch Echo hit the stage, but good lord, the drive was double the time due to Sunday (head back to the Bay Area) traffic. Arch Echo was okay. I've seen worse, I've seen better. The sound on the low end was really muddy (bosk noticed it), and it continued with DT. It could have been where we were sitting (stage left, orchestra, about 13 rows back). Anyway, Arch Echo was fine if you like instrumental prog metal. They were into their gig, they got polite applause, and after I guess 20 or 25 minutes, they were off stage.

DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO AVOID ALL SPOILERS...

DON'T READ THIS

SERIOUSLY, SPOILERS AHEAD...

LAST WARNING

Okay, so Dream Theater came on, and for the life of me, I forgot to look at my phone to see the time. It was probably 8:20ish? The first thing I noticed was how CLEAN the stage was. No speaker cabinets or rigs, a riser for a SMALL drum kit (for DT standards), one for JR, and another in the back behind JP. That's it. No walk-up ramp and mini-catwalk for James to run up like he did on the DoT/SFAM tour a few years back.

I thought it really worked, because the backdrop of A View From the Top of the World album art was absolutely stunning splashed across the entire back (and onto the sides) of the stage (it was screens, so throughout the gig, the animation was running). The lighting was really well done. It brought the focus on the band and I really enjoyed the more stripped down presentation.

They opened with The Alien, and if you've been following the setlist at all, it was the standard one they had been playing. Everyone played really well. Awake is my favorite DT album, so getting to see "6:00" was a highlight, as was "About to Crash" and "Endless Sacrifice." I felt bad for JLB on the latter. If you're a singer, you know shit happens -- he choked on his own spit and had to duck a line or so of the tune. JP looked over, and JLB recovered. JLB gets crucified, unfairly, and I thought he recovered well and delivered a professional performance. Perhaps not as energetic as the 2019 show in San Fran, but certainly on par with the consistency he's been showing the last few album tour cycles. My one wish though, is I really would like him to not duck some of the more challenging high parts of some of the songs. "Moments wasted, IIIIISOLATED" - he kept lowering the latter. He did this on a few songs too. it still sounded good, don't get me wrong. But a dynamic vocal is important to me. Still, he's way more consistent in comparison to some of the tours in the 2000s.

Like I said, if you've followed the tour, you know the set. I really enjoyed "Bridges in the Sky." I saw that on the ADToE tour in San Francisco. Can't believe that was 11 years ago now. Crazy. And for me, I LOVED the fact they played the entire title track from A View From the Top of the World to end the main set. I love that song, and they all performed it well.

I ducked out after that, as the encore was The Count of Tuscany, and honestly, I just don't like that song much.

Overall, I give the show a "B+" grade. Musically stunning, visually beautiful (I really loved that clean look), strong musical performances. JLB was as I described above. Professional, consistent, if lacking some dynamics. The setlist -- not really one I am in favor of. My top-5 records from the band are Awake, I&W, SFAM, FII, DoT. I got exactly ONE song from those five entire records. (To be fair, they did play SFAM in its entirety and a bunch from DoT in 2019.) But this emphasis on playing all the long songs really just stunts other things I really would like to see.

It's the 20th anniversary of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and the 25th anniversary of FII. Not to mention the 30th of I&W. I really wanted, and honestly, expected, a couple songs from each, and a verbal acknowledgement by JLB/JP about those records. It was nice to hear "About to Crash," but given this whole "long song" setlist, there's just no time to pay any homage to those records.

I know some hardcores really like "The Ministry of Lost Souls" and "The Count of Tuscany" and I get it - the band can't please everyone. But six short songs commemorating 6DoiT, I&W, and FII, would have been a great tip of the cap to those great records, and would have been a set that still supported A View From the Top of the World properly and made the show more well rounded IMO.

Anyway, glad I went, I enjoyed the show and I look forward to seeing them again (JLB mentioned they were planning to tour on the record for a couple years and would be back in the Bay Area).  :metal

I took a few videos if you want to check em out (I just enjoy the songs, so they aren't pro caliber or anything):

"6:00" - https://youtu.be/HmYawJMcdtE

"Endless Sacrifice" - https://youtu.be/IUOFhq-uqZg

"About to Crash" - https://youtu.be/4R2Q1J0KfTk

Enjoy!  :metal

And thank you Dream Theater!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Some thoughts on the Oakland, CA show (Feb. 6, 2022) - SPOILERS INSIDE
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 09:46:45 AM »
I got a good chuckle out of him choking on his spit and how he handled it lol.. I honestly thought he sounded better on the older tacks, and gave a decent performance. Definitely a step up from the tragedy that was the I&W 25th anniversary show.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:02:51 AM »
That I&W gig was...rough...for the Pirate.  :-[
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 10:06:51 AM »
Everyone on reddit is talking about how loud it was.

Coming from Detroit, this was the quietest concert I've ever seen from them. And it's not even close.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 10:20:09 AM »
I'm a Long Island kid who now lives across the country, so seeing the hometown boys (I guess these days its just JP and JR, as I believe JM lives in PA) is always fun.

JP is the only one who still lives on Long Island.  You're correct about JM, and JR is in Rockland County, NY (assuming they all still live where they lived back in 2011).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 10:40:40 AM »

Coming from Detroit, this was the quietest concert I've ever seen from them. And it's not even close.

It was loud for me, but I was also directly under the stacks on the JM side.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 10:46:20 AM »
"I fucking choked on my spit."

"Never do that. Don't choke on your spit."

-James LaBrie

:lol :rollin :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 10:59:31 AM »

I thought it was loud, yeah. That's funny (not funny) that it pales in comparison to Detroit.

JP is the only one who still lives on Long Island.  You're correct about JM, and JR is in Rockland County, NY (assuming they all still live where they lived back in 2011).

Ah, okay. JP and I have a mutual acquaintance (one of his neighbors is one of my good friends), but I didn't know that about JR. Actually, come to think of it, I did, and I forgot. LOL. Good catch, PG.

-James LaBrie

I was laughing too. He handled it like the pro he is. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
Glad that you had a good time overall at the show and sorry that the show didn't have a setlist more in line with what you prefer.

But there's one thing I feel motivated to bring up and that is your point about acknowledging anniversaries. The thing is, it's been done to death in recent years (all the tours from 2014 onward have been anniversary tours of sorts, aside from the tour supporting TA), so I for one am glad to se them not saying anything about them, and I'm glad there wasn't anything from IaW or SFaM in the setlist. It shows they have confidence in the rest of their catalog (as they should). Remember, any time they go out on tour, they could celebrate an anniversary for this album or that album, and that will continue to increase as they continue releasing new albums.

That said, I get your point about throwing in a track or two from FII and SDoIT, especially tracks that haven't been played since MM joined, and I think they did fail in that matter. In particular disc 1 of SDoIT has been severely neglected. Not to mention that it would be nice to see them alternate a few tracks from show to show. But it is what it is. 
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cminor

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 11:43:06 AM »
Thank you for the honest review!! I'm still a bit shocked to read

I ducked out after that, as the encore was The Count of Tuscany, and honestly, I just don't like that song much.

To be honest I can't imagine leaving before an encore, no matter how little I like the song (especially if it's a song that hasn't been played live often or I haven't seen performed live!). :D

I took a few videos if you want to check em out (I just enjoy the songs, so they aren't pro caliber or anything):

Great shots! I watched all three videos and I think the last part of ATC (after JPs solo) is a prime example of what can happen when your drummer loses the click track. That was awkward! But yeah, shit happens...

Offline Kram

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 11:58:35 AM »
Thank you for the honest review!! I'm still a bit shocked to read

To be honest I can't imagine leaving before an encore, no matter how little I like the song (especially if it's a song that hasn't been played live often or I haven't seen performed live!). :D

Great shots! I watched all three videos and I think the last part of ATC (after JPs solo) is a prime example of what can happen when your drummer loses the click track. That was awkward! But yeah, shit happens...
Great videos Samsara.  Based on these, I'd say James sounds better than he did down here in San Diego.  Hopefully that bodes well for the rest of the tour.

Yeah, that was a pretty bad mess up for MM (I can't remember ever seeing him mess up now that I think about it).  It was pretty amazing though that the other 3 guys never skipped a beat and kept it together.  True pros.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »
What song did James choke during? Sounds hilarious. I love James and I love how he seems to handle stuff like this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 01:36:55 PM »

-James LaBrie

I've seen a few moments similar in person, and I always love how JLB acknowledges the screw up with some sort of joke.  I love these types of mistakes. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 01:45:29 PM »

-James LaBrie

I've seen a few moments similar in person, and I always love how JLB acknowledges the screw up with some sort of joke.  I love these types of mistakes.

I think it was their last tour before the pandemic, James approached the microphone, closed his eyes, noticed it was crooked, straightened it out, and began to sing in the wrong end. He made some faces. It was hilarious. He then said something after the song to the effect of, "you guys witnessed history. The first time I've ever tried to sing in the wrong end of the microphone."

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 04:21:10 PM »
What song did James choke during? Sounds hilarious. I love James and I love how he seems to handle stuff like this.
ES.  It's captured on video here:  https://youtu.be/IUOFhq-uqZg   :lol :lol :lol

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 05:10:23 PM »
ES.  It's captured on video here:  https://youtu.be/IUOFhq-uqZg   :lol :lol :lol

Lol, priceless
I love how he handled that. Makes it fun for the audience.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 06:02:29 PM »
Yeah, that was a pretty bad mess up for MM (I can't remember ever seeing him mess up now that I think about it).  It was pretty amazing though that the other 3 guys never skipped a beat and kept it together.  True pros.

Yeah, ouch, I watched that. He seems to be making a lot of mistakes this tour. Part of me wonders if this small kit is throwing him off somehow.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 06:09:55 PM »
Glad that you had a good time overall at the show and sorry that the show didn't have a setlist more in line with what you prefer.

But there's one thing I feel motivated to bring up and that is your point about acknowledging anniversaries. The thing is, it's been done to death in recent years (all the tours from 2014 onward have been anniversary tours of sorts, aside from the tour supporting TA), so I for one am glad to se them not saying anything about them, and I'm glad there wasn't anything from IaW or SFaM in the setlist. It shows they have confidence in the rest of their catalog (as they should). Remember, any time they go out on tour, they could celebrate an anniversary for this album or that album, and that will continue to increase as they continue releasing new albums.

That said, I get your point about throwing in a track or two from FII and SDoIT, especially tracks that haven't been played since MM joined, and I think they did fail in that matter. In particular disc 1 of SDoIT has been severely neglected. Not to mention that it would be nice to see them alternate a few tracks from show to show. But it is what it is.

I agree about both the anniversary thing and Disc 1 of 6DOIT.  The latter is definitely way too neglected, and I don't like the idea of DT having to do anniversary stuff every tour since, like you said, they have so many albums now that literally every tour will be the anniversary of something.  Just pick a good set list and there ya go.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 10:48:12 PM »
I'm kinda with Kev and Scotty on the anniversary thing.  That said, I was still hoping for songs from FII And SDOIT.  But not for anniversary reasons.  Just because it has been awhile for most songs on those albums getting some traction, and there are a few I would like to see.  My personal wish list got no love at all.  But that said, I was still pretty happy with the set list. 

Overall thoughts:  I had a great time.  It was so great to be out at a show again, and this one was a great "first time back" show.  Seats were good, and I love the venue.  I was about 6 feet to the left of where Samsara was filming.  The stage is beautiful.  Sound was...okay.  Guitar, drums, and bass (!) were all at good levels in the mix.  I was especially surprised to hear Myung so forward.  He sounded great.  Keyboards were a bit low, but not bad.  Vocals were definitely low in the mix, which made it hard to hear James at times.  And the backing vocal track was oddly high in the mix on About to Crash and one other song (from memory, I think it was Minstry).  But James mostly sounded great. 

MVPs of the show:
-JP's guitar tone on most songs.  Interestingly (and disappointingly), he sounded really muddy on Bridges.  But otherwise, really fantastic.
-MM's kick drum and overall drum mix.  Yeah, this show was LOUD.  But the plus having my chest and the seats all thumping with every bass drum beat.  Despite the volume, his cymbals and snare were really present in the mix as well.  But I did think the toms were mixed a bit lower for some reason. 

Some notes from songs:

1.  The Alien:  I knew this would be played and knew it would be the opener because...well, it's obvious as part of DT's M.O.  Good song.  Solid in the opening spot. 

2.  6:00:  I like the song a lot, but I was disappointed when I saw it on the set list because I have already seen it with MM.  But it was still solid.  May have been my favorite performance of it that I have seen.

3.  Awaken the Master:  Before seeing the set, I was pretty confident we would get this one or Transcending Time.  I was a bit concerned that the 8 would be muddy, but it actually sounded great.  It was cool hearing the LOW lows, and then seeing him go way up on the solos as well.  JP may not have used an 8 the way a lot of fans might have wanted, but he uses the entire neck on the thing, and I think the results are pretty good.

4.  Endless Sacrifice:  Full disclosure--this was my second biggest disappointment when I saw the set list in advance.  Second least favorite song on TOT, and we have an official live version of it, and there are two other songs from TOT that are pretty high up on my "wish list."  All that said, this may have been the highlight of the night.  It came across really well and was a lot of fun.  When James choked, I thought he maybe just forgot the words for a second and then was coming in.  I heard him say what he said, but couldn't understand what he was saying (even with my Hear-O's, the volume and distortion, and how low the vocals were in the mix made it difficult to hear at times). 

5.  Bridges:  My favorite off of ADTOE, and I was pretty happy to have gotten it.  That said, I was surprised that it didn't have quite as much energy or crowd reaction as I would have expected.  Still, very solid, and I enjoyed it a lot.

6.  Invisible Monster:  Was really happy we got this one.  I like it on the album, and I suspected that it would slay in a live setting.  It did.

7.  About To Crash:  I'm pretty happy to have gotten just about anything from Six Degrees.  It's my favorite song, and I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably never see it performed in person.  So I'm happy to get parts of it here and there.   And this is one of my favorite parts.  I thought it worked well as a standalone.  I had forgotten how long it is too as an individual part, and that was nice.  I got pretty emotional during this one and really liked it.  In the moment, I didn't notice MM being off toward the end.  Seeing it in that video, it still wasn't too big a deal, thankfully.  Jordan's short piano transition into the song was nice too.

8.  Ministry:  Have to say, I was really disappointed to see such a bit part of the set taken up by a song I care so little about.  This is my second least favorite on SC, and one of the few DT songs I just don't like very much.  So I went into it on kind of a downer, but just determined that I was going to do my best to try to enjoy it.  And I did, for the most part.  It was still the low point of the set for me, but you can't please everyone.  I was actually really enjoying the atmosphere of it in a live setting in the beginning through the first verse/chorus.  But the slow tempo for such a long song before getting to the instrumental really started to drag for me as the song went on.  And I thought the sound was uncharacteristically muddy, which made it hard to pick things out.

9.  View:  Really, really great.  Next to Endless Sacrifice, this was the highlight.  Loved everything about it.  This song translates really well to a live setting, so I am hoping we get a live video release later in the tour.  Toward the very end, MM's hat flew off, and I think he lost his in-ears, which caused him to stop playing with his hands for a minute.  He kept going with his feet, and didn't lose time.  That got me thinking and talking with my friend Jack on the way home about what a disaster it would be if his in-ears fell out early in a song.  Since he has no monitors (who uses those anymore?) and there are no amps onstage, he wouldn't be able to hear anything and would have to go totally on his own internal clock for everything, which could seriously throw off everyone else, who has the click high in their personal mixes.  Anyhow, it wasn't an issue, but got our discussion spiraling in an interesting direction.

10.  Count:  Not my favorite, but I like it, and I haven't seen it, so I was looking forward to it.  It didn't disappoint.  I'm pretty sure I saw Lonestar swoon at one point.  :lol  Surprisingly cool way to end a show. 

It was great seeing such a good show and catching up with lots of friends from all over the area and the forum.  Didn't get to chat with the band or management because they are all staying isolated, but I expected that. 

Unexpected bonus MVP:  The bacon-wrapped hotdog vendors that came out in force outside the venue after the show ended.  Since traffic was bad on the way down, as Samsara mentioned, we didn't get there in time to grab anything before the show, so I was starving by the time it was over.  Since it would be a solid 20 - 30 minutes to get to the In N Out near Pinole (didn't want to stop anywhere in Oakland that time of night), those guys saved me! 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 05:24:38 AM »
You definitely saw me swoon.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 06:24:29 AM »
Sounds epic!

How is the crowd interaction this tour? Any stories etc, or are they just playing the songs one after eachother?
Are there any jams or extended sections?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 08:01:06 AM »
Sounds epic!

How is the crowd interaction this tour? Any stories etc, or are they just playing the songs one after eachother?
Are there any jams or extended sections?

They pretty much stuck to the songs as is, as far as my ametuer ears could tell. There were two moments of crowd interaction with just James as the others took a break. I pissed during one, the other he talked about how good it was to be back. Nothing earth shattering.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 10:04:14 AM »
Unexpected bonus MVP:  The bacon-wrapped hotdog vendors that came out in force outside the venue after the show ended.

With the Lakers playing and the Super Bowl Experience at the Convention Center, these guys were out in force at the Los Angeles show.  Those things smell so damn good, but I've never gotten one because I always feel like I'll be paying for it the next day (or on the drive home even)!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
@ Samsara & Bosk

Thank you so much for posting this!

With a three-month old at home and the complete lack of any adult 'male' friends in the area, odds are slim I will be able to catch DT on this tour (heard an ad on the radio this morning :-\)

But, in a way, this thread (and the videos) really gave me a by-proxy experience!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 10:32:29 AM »
Unexpected bonus MVP:  The bacon-wrapped hotdog vendors that came out in force outside the venue after the show ended.

With the Lakers playing and the Super Bowl Experience at the Convention Center, these guys were out in force at the Los Angeles show.  Those things smell so damn good, but I've never gotten one because I always feel like I'll be paying for it the next day (or on the drive home even)!

:lol  I hear you.  But I've never had any issue.  And they know they'll get cracked down on if they serve up bad product and get reported.  And them cooking it until the bacon is crispy means everything is definitely going to be cooked through.  I'm drooling just thinking about it again.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 10:36:09 AM »
@ Samsara & Bosk

With a three-month old at home and the complete lack of any adult 'male' friends in the area, odds are slim I will be able to catch DT on this tour (heard an ad on the radio this morning :-\)

But, in a way, this thread (and the videos) really gave me a by-proxy experience!

:tup  Awesome.  Wish you could get to a show, but believe me, I get it.  There are times when it just isn't the right time of life.  Glad you could live vicariously through us.  Hang in there, buddy.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 02:00:21 PM »
I don't know your exact circumstances, but if not having anyone to go with is a big reason why you're not gonna go, don't let that stop you! When I road tripped to see the band in 2004 and 2006, I went for myself for the most part and still had a great time. I think at most shows, I ended up chatting with some other fans at some point anyway, and sometimes met various forumers at some of the shows, too. Plus flying solo, you usually are able to get much better seats than if you go with friends. So give it some more thought before you give up the opportunity that you may have.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 02:26:19 PM »

One of these days after a concert in LA, I'm going to get one of those hot dogs.  I just never have cash on me and keep forgetting to withdraw cash.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 02:37:21 PM »
I don't know your exact circumstances, but if not having anyone to go with is a big reason why you're not gonna go, don't let that stop you! When I road tripped to see the band in 2004 and 2006, I went for myself for the most part and still had a great time. I think at most shows, I ended up chatting with some other fans at some point anyway, and sometimes met various forumers at some of the shows, too. Plus flying solo, you usually are able to get much better seats than if you go with friends. So give it some more thought before you give up the opportunity that you may have.  ;)

I concur.  I am a woman, drove 4 hours and had a great front row almost center seat! Ya, I'd rather have company, but everyone around me was a DT fan and it was easy to enjoy the show with them! The only eh moment was walking 6 blocks in Oakland after. 

While I am here.  The show was great! Bosk did a great review and I really can't add much to that. I did wonder though about James. He was chewing gum it seemed. And I could see little facial movements that made me think he wasn't really happy about how it was going. There were actually a lot of different moments where the band were communicating with one another. I felt like they were still getting the whole performance tightened up. It didn't make it any less enjoyable!

Every song I had not seen live! I had my #2 song, two top 20 songs, two top 50 songs and a top 100 song!

I thought James looked nice with his relaxed outfit - slim jeans and sneakers, the lighter hair.  I had never seen JP with a long sleeve shirt... Mangini looked slimmer than in his recent videos..
I loved when Jordan played the keytar (or whatever it is) with JP, and then MM also.  My personal fan moment was right before ATM started and JP was standing there with his new 8-string waiting. I got very excited knowing what song was coming and held up 8 fingers to him and he gave me some great feedback! (yes, total fan moment lol!) :blush :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2022, 03:24:37 PM »

One of these days after a concert in LA, I'm going to get one of those hot dogs.  I just never have cash on me and keep forgetting to withdraw cash.

Bosk's comments make sense, but I also don't carry much/any cash either.

And I'll add my voice to those who don't mind flying solo at concerts.  I did DT solo and will be solo at Maiden in September.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »
And I'll add my voice to those who don't mind flying solo at concerts. 

+1

I do it all the time, sometimes it's a lot more fun to just go solo.  Depends on who you go with, but some friends just hold you back from enjoying the show (complaining, making you leave early, talking too much). 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 05:26:43 PM »
I usually go to DT concerts by myself. I took my oldest son (15) to see KISS this last fall. He loved it, and we had a great time together. But I know he wouldn’t enjoy DT the same way. He would go if I asked him to, but the whole time I’d be thinking about him not enjoying it, which would take away from my enjoyment. So I just go solo.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 05:41:10 PM »
I concur about going to the show by yourself if you really want to go. I had never been to a concert alone until I saw U2 on their last tour.  No one I knew who liked them wanted to go, so I said screw it and got a cheap ticket the week of the concert.  Ended up talking to a few fans in my row about music and had a great time.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 06:28:52 PM »

Lol, priceless
I love how he handled that. Makes it fun for the audience.

Yeah, agree in that it was great how he handled it but his vocals when we tried to come back in were terrible...man so flat and out of tune. Anyway, always great to see these things can happen to anyone.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2022, 07:13:24 PM »
@ Samsara & Bosk

:tup  Awesome.  Wish you could get to a show, but believe me, I get it.  There are times when it just isn't the right time of life.  Glad you could live vicariously through us.  Hang in there, buddy.

One of my biggest regrets is not going to the first and only DT show here in Lima in March 2010. I wasn't even 15 yet, didn't have enough money for the ticket and had no one to go with me either. I figured that if they finally played a show here, they would come for every future tour and I could catch them in the next one a few years later, right? Turns out it ended up being the last tour with MP and they never ever played a second show here. But yeah, sometimes it just doesn't work out.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."