Author Topic: El Cajon, CA and Los Angeles Tickets  (Read 2765 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

El Cajon, CA and Los Angeles Tickets
« on: February 04, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »
Hey DTF, after long consideration I’ve decided to forego attending tonight’s show in El Cajon due to the fact that I am having minor surgery later this month and don’t want to risk even a mild case of COVID.  It bums me out, as we’ve all been waiting so long for DT to return to the road, but I think this will be in my best interest.

Since DTF has been such a good community to me over the years, I’ve decided to gift my tickets to someone here.  If you want an upgrade to tonight’s show (or if you weren’t planning on going, but this changes your mind) please direct message me with your email address and I will initiate the transfer process, gratis!  First come, first serve.

I have two tickets together, front row dead center.  I also have a single ticket front row slightly off center.

The same holds true for anyone in Los Angeles tomorrow.  I have a single seat in the pit, JP side.  Ticket says Row 4, but the seating chart seems indicate it’s more like a 3rd row seat.

Reach out to me and let me know which ones you want.   All I ask in return is that you enjoy the show with enthusiasm so the band knows how much we appreciate them coming out on the road.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: El Cajon, CA and Los Angeles Tickets
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 01:25:13 PM »
I have two tickets together, front row dead center. 

damn, very generous of you.  Hopefully someone benefits! I wish I was on that side of the country now.  Stay safe

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 02:14:05 PM »
RTK, I know how much you'll miss not going but good on you for concerns about your surgery and your offer of the tickets.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 02:37:45 PM »
Hey DTF, after long consideration I’ve decided to forego attending tonight’s show in El Cajon due to the fact that I am having minor surgery later this month and don’t want to risk even a mild case of COVID.  It bums me out, as we’ve all been waiting so long for DT to return to the road, but I think this will be in my best interest.

Since DTF has been such a good community to me over the years, I’ve decided to gift my tickets to someone here.  If you want an upgrade to tonight’s show (or if you weren’t planning on going, but this changes your mind) please direct message me with your email address and I will initiate the transfer process, gratis!  First come, first serve.

I have two tickets together, front row dead center.  I also have a single ticket front row slightly off center.

The same holds true for anyone in Los Angeles tomorrow.  I have a single seat in the pit, JP side.  Ticket says Row 4, but the seating chart seems indicate it’s more like a 3rd row seat.

Reach out to me and let me know which ones you want.   All I ask in return is that you enjoy the show with enthusiasm so the band knows how much we appreciate them coming out on the road.
Seriously, very genereous. I send you a PM...

Offline Kram

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 03:24:21 PM »
Very generous offer.  I would hit you up if I didn't already have tickets.  Good luck with your surgery - and yes, very appreciative of the band always hitting SoCal.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 05:57:16 PM »
Thanks everybody for the kind words.  I still have a free front row single ticket available for tonight's show in El Cajon, if there are any takers.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 04:17:59 AM »
Looks like El Cajon got Transcending Time instead of Invisible Monster last night - how was the show?

Offline lanemeyer

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 05:56:17 AM »
Oh man, I really hope we get Transcending Time in Akron instead of Invisible Monster. I like IM well enough, but TT is much preferred there... and my girlfriend's favorite off the new album (and she's never seen them before).
Scientia fortitudo venit.

Offline Kram

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 09:52:54 AM »
Looks like El Cajon got Transcending Time instead of Invisible Monster last night - how was the show?
That is incorrect.  Same setlist as Mesa.  No Transcending Time, I was there.  The show was great.  James was so so (not his best, not his worst).  Mangini, JM and JP crushed it.  JR seemed a bit uninterested at times (saw him yawning) - maybe he wasn't feeling well.  Overall setlist works well.  About to Crash was much better than I expected (was thinking it would be cool if they'd break out the full 6DOIT at some point).  MOLS does slog a bit but JP guitar parts are so good it kept me interested.  A View and TCOT were both great and a powerful way to end the night.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
Great show last night. I thought James was great! He had a little mess up during About To Crash where he accidentally cut the second chorus in a half and started singing the next part too early and then didn’t know how to come back in for a sec until that next part finally started. Lol. He made a comment about not knowing the words. I actually love moments like that because they make the show unique. Same happened with him once years ago during Pull Me Under. And then JP almost got lost during a section (can’t remember which song atm though. There was this annoying thing happening with James’s mic where if he sang to softly, it would just cut him out completely. It’s like they had a gate on his mic that was set too high. I noticed the same thing with MM’s snare drum. Overall though, that was honestly a killer show. Setlist was cool (I’ve seen most of those songs already, but still awesome) and the band was on fire. And it was definitely cool to see MM playing a modest kit lol. He’s so fun to watch.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
That is incorrect.  Same setlist as Mesa.  No Transcending Time, I was there.  The show was great.  James was so so (not his best, not his worst).  Mangini, JM and JP crushed it.  JR seemed a bit uninterested at times (saw him yawning) - maybe he wasn't feeling well.  Overall setlist works well.  About to Crash was much better than I expected (was thinking it would be cool if they'd break out the full 6DOIT at some point).  MOLS does slog a bit but JP guitar parts are so good it kept me interested.  A View and TCOT were both great and a powerful way to end the night.
Kram - can you confirm whether some of the older songs were performed at a lower tuning? A friend went to the show in Mesa and said he thought 6:00 and one other one (I think Endless Sacrifice) were played a half-step down.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »
Kram - can you confirm whether some of the older songs were performed at a lower tuning? A friend went to the show in Mesa and said he thought 6:00 and one other one (I think Endless Sacrifice) were played a half-step down.

6:00 could have been tuned down. Doubtful Endless Sacrifice was though. James was modifying the melody to avoid hitting that high note during the chorus “isoLATED!”. If they were tuned down, I would imagine he would have been hitting that with no worries.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Kram

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 11:52:28 AM »

6:00 could have been tuned down. Doubtful Endless Sacrifice was though. James was modifying the melody to avoid hitting that high note during the chorus “isoLATED!”. If they were tuned down, I would imagine he would have been hitting that with no worries.
Yep, he definitely was modifying the Endless Sacrifice chorus melody and not even attempting the high notes.  Honestly Scotty, they could have been tuned down, but I was about 7-8 beers deep at that point, so could not confirm.  I would guess some YouTube clips should be popping up soon which would help us to figure it out.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 01:04:56 PM »

Thanks for clarifying, setlist was incorrect looks like there’s a pretty decent debate over there about what was played lol.  I almost picked up a ticket to NYC to see TT.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 01:47:59 PM »

Thanks for clarifying, setlist was incorrect looks like there’s a pretty decent debate over there about what was played lol.  I almost picked up a ticket to NYC to see TT.

Why not just buy a ticket and go regardless? Support the band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 03:33:05 PM »
Row 4 in the Pit is still available for tonight's LA show if somebody wants it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 06:06:58 PM »
Made it to LA Live and made sure I got parking at the right place for my validation to kick in.  To say LA Live is a madhouse is a huge understatement.  Going to roam around the area for the next two hours before doors open.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 06:15:10 PM »

Why not just buy a ticket and go regardless? Support the band.

I’m already going to CT and Boston, was hoping there’s be a set variance. 

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 07:05:01 PM »
Made it to LA Live and made sure I got parking at the right place for my validation to kick in.  To say LA Live is a madhouse is a huge understatement.  Going to roam around the area for the next two hours before doors open.

I'm way jealous

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 07:51:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ROXHueEAI

Is there some lip-syncing singing by James? Around 6:00 and 9:00 min.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 07:58:46 PM »

I don't know if he's actually lip synching, but perhaps the canned chorus vocals are being used. I watched a few Mesa vids and didn't really notice them.

James vocals are definitely enhanced here in the About To Crash chorus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un8z1kT0IeU
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 08:06:42 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 08:12:57 PM »
Well, this is interesting.  The mezz and lodge section are curtained off so the attendant gave me an “upgrade” to the 1st floor area.  It sorta sucks since I didn’t want to have any rows in front of me in the section I am at, but here we are. I’m like 6 rows near the exit in the back.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 09:28:01 PM »
Well, this is interesting.  The mezz and lodge section are curtained off so the attendant gave me an “upgrade” to the 1st floor area.  It sorta sucks since I didn’t want to have any rows in front of me in the section I am at, but here we are. I’m like 6 rows near the exit in the back.

I thought it looked like that.  How far back are you?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 09:30:54 PM »
I’m like 7 rows in as people are entering the area. This does not look like it will be a packed section in the orchestra area.  Don’t think the far right and left sections will be fully filled.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2022, 09:39:16 PM »
For sure.  When I checked on AXS, it looked 80+% unsold.

Also seems like a fair number of empty seats in the pit,  but we'll see once DT starts
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 12:48:32 AM »
So...I have to admit that TMOLS was pretty good live.

This show was not as loud as the last one (DOT/SFAM anniversary).

The usual muddy mix, but otherwise everything sounded really good.

I'd really like to know what's on the tablet that JM has perched on a stand a couple feet off the floor by his pedal board.

I think JM actually smirked when JLB stumbled over his words while introducing Awaken the Master.

Odd reaction from MM at the end of View.  He hit the last couple notes on his floor toms while standing and turning to walk off the stage and threw his sticks over his shoulders in front of his kit, and he looked a bit frustrated.

I was in the last row of the pit on the left side.  In my section that was fourth row.  I really wanted to stand, but someone from the orchestra section behind me came up to me at the start of the set and asked me to sit, so I didn't want to be a dick.  There were several times when JLB and JP exhorted people to stand, and I certainly did, but lots of folks stayed anchored in their seats.

JLB sounded good, but his vocals seemed heavily effected, and the background/supporting vocals seemed fairly loud at times.

All in all, DT show #17 was a lot of fun.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2022, 04:50:07 AM »
So once the show got started did it look pretty empty? Did everyone move around and fill in the front?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 05:22:20 AM »
Odd reaction from MM at the end of View.  He hit the last couple notes on his floor toms while standing and turning to walk off the stage and threw his sticks over his shoulders in front of his kit, and he looked a bit frustrated.
He did the same thing in Mesa:
https://youtu.be/GZFXbIJC5zA?t=717

But yeah, even though it's part of the show, it's strange and gives the wrong impression. And it's also odd how JP just stood there at the end with his head down when he wasn't even playing guitar at the end and instead was the taped outro.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2022, 07:55:56 AM »

But yeah, even though it's part of the show, it's strange and gives the wrong impression. And it's also odd how JP just stood there at the end with his head down when he wasn't even playing guitar at the end and instead was the taped outro.

That just looks strange.  I cannot imagine that riffing at the very end of A View... would be difficult to play live, so why just stand there and let a backing track play it instead of playing it live.  It just looked weird.

Offline Kram

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 10:57:59 AM »

He did the same thing in El Cajon/San Diego. I think it's a shtick which he probably things look cool or something (kind of like when Prince would throw his guitar (his tech would catch it) and just walk off the stage like he's done with this).  Sort of worked for Prince, not so much with MM.

Offline Kram

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2022, 11:03:47 AM »

There was a lot of canned backing vocals being pumped in (more than I can every remember with DT)  You can tell when you're there for sure.  James sings over/along with them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2022, 11:07:05 AM »
A couple other observations:

There were at least a few times where I noticed MM playing one of the original drum parts differently from what MP had recorded.

At the end, when they were out at the front of the stage acknowledging the crowd, JP saw me and pointed to my Caress of Steel t-shirt and gave me a smile and a nod.

Despite the mask mandate, I'd say 60+ percent of the folks I saw had them off during the show, and the ushers/security had zero interest in enforcing it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2022, 12:21:53 PM »
I had a great time at the show.  I enjoyed this a lot better than the DOT/SFAM show at the Wiltern in 2019.  This mainly enforces a fact that having assigned seating in the GA area at the Wiltern is not good.

Other than that, sure this building was probably like a 1/3 full, but at least, they didn't downgrade to the Orpheum Theater which I would have hate, and the set was pretty great.  The view was much better.  I didn't think find anything that would irk me as much that's worth referencing.  Arch Echo was good enough.  I would say they were a good fit to be an opener for DT.  The people around me gave a good reaction to the intro of every song.  I also liked this moment in between a song where James made a remark on how he thinks it is BS that Mammoth Mountain has more snow than the area he lives in Canada.  Also, this setlist is pretty much what I like.  It favors a good amount of new stuff, and a wide variety spreading out from other albums and that they didn't have a theme that requires them to play something in full.

Overall, great show.  Don't know if they would come back to these parts at some point in this album cycle that I would see the same set again, but if they varied a few different songs.  Maybe.

Here's a picture I took on my end before the set began.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 12:26:56 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Kram

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2022, 12:35:17 PM »
Was the setlist in LA the same as the first two show?  I'm assuming it was, or you guys would have mentioned it, but figured I'd ask to be sure.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »
Is this setlist to devastating to Labrie. Seems he is struggling more and more for every concert.

Or?