Author Topic: What is the oldest movie you saw with your parents?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: What is the oldest movie you saw with your parents?
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2022, 12:10:31 AM »
Superman - 1978
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2022, 12:42:26 AM »
I just checked a couple of dates and it seems that the very first new movie that my parents may have taken me to was actually Disney’s The Rescuers.

Star Wars was released right about the same time, but my parents had never taken me to a PG movie before and I think they waited quite some time to get some feedback from other parents before making the trip to downtown Seattle to see it with me. So I don’t think I actually saw that movie until 1978.

I’m not sure how many people know this, but when Star Wars was released, it was an “exclusive engagement”. There was only one theater in downtown Seattle and I’m pretty sure that was the only one in all of Western Washington that was showing it. My dad needed a pretty good excuse to make a trip from the suburbs to go to downtown Seattle just to see a movie (much less stand in a really long line for one). Empire was the same way. In fact I remember being particularly excited for Return of the Jedi because it was the very first of the films to actually be generally released to all the multiplexes.
Do you remember how it was seeing SW, I seem to think that it wasn't a insta hit and some thought it was ridicoulus, I could be wrong.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2022, 01:18:09 AM »
I always thought it was Ghostbusters.  My parents took me and a group of friends (aged 8'ish) - I we were sitting at the front of the cinema and at the start of the film you have the the Ghost in the Library scene  'Shhhhhhhhhhhh,   Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh,   RAAAAAAAAAAR!'   we all screamed!   I genuinely remember feeling very scared from that point onwards as to what else was to come.

......But it turns out Superman 3 was the first movie I saw in the cinema, as that came out a year before Ghostbuster (which surprised me).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »
I just checked a couple of dates and it seems that the very first new movie that my parents may have taken me to was actually Disney’s The Rescuers.

Star Wars was released right about the same time, but my parents had never taken me to a PG movie before and I think they waited quite some time to get some feedback from other parents before making the trip to downtown Seattle to see it with me. So I don’t think I actually saw that movie until 1978.

I’m not sure how many people know this, but when Star Wars was released, it was an “exclusive engagement”. There was only one theater in downtown Seattle and I’m pretty sure that was the only one in all of Western Washington that was showing it. My dad needed a pretty good excuse to make a trip from the suburbs to go to downtown Seattle just to see a movie (much less stand in a really long line for one). Empire was the same way. In fact I remember being particularly excited for Return of the Jedi because it was the very first of the films to actually be generally released to all the multiplexes.
Do you remember how it was seeing SW, I seem to think that it wasn't a insta hit and some thought it was ridicoulus, I could be wrong.
It's literally impossible to describe how big this was when it came out.  It was at that time the biggest movie of all time, and it just STAYED huge for MONTHS.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2022, 07:57:06 AM »
I think the very first movie I saw in theaters was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3. Next oldest was Spawn and The Lost World with my grandpa. We didn't go to the movies very often in the 90s.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2022, 08:19:13 AM »

It's literally impossible to describe how big this was when it came out.  It was at that time the biggest movie of all time, and it just STAYED huge for MONTHS.

The truth is right between these two. I mean, ya it was definitely a big hit when it came out, but it took awhile before people started noticing that this was a lot bigger than the blockbusters that came before it. And I’m sure the exclusive engagement that kept it on a minimal amount of screens (thus, keeping the lines long, thus raising the “event” of it all) didn’t hurt its cultural impact.

It took about a year before people started to realize that this was a permanent game changer in the movie biz.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2022, 08:24:14 AM »
First movie I ever saw in theater was with my mom. She took me to see Beauty and the Beast.

This could very well apply to me as well (although I went with a friend). I don't know if Beauty and the Beast was THE first movie, but definitely one of the first. I would have been around 10 at the time it came out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2022, 09:35:29 AM »
It took about a year before people started to realize that this was a permanent game changer in the movie biz.
It didn't take a year.

It initially opened May 25, 1977 in only 40 theaters (which may be the limited engagement you're talking about) and immediately started breaking records.  It opened on a Wednesday, and people were lined up for blocks.  Walter Cronkite did a story on it that weekend.  Within 3 weeks of release, 20th Century Fox's stock price doubled.

It was in more than 1,000 theaters nationwide by August.

Apparently, around 60 theaters nationwide showed it for over a year straight, and they received special birthday cake posters from Lucasfilm.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2022, 09:48:17 AM »

Yeah, this.  I mean, for my dad and for me (and my brother) to even know about this movie meant it was huge.  And to see it twice in the theater, and to see people dressed up in character...  all firsts for me.  This was a massive event for the time (I was 10, by the way).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:50:37 AM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2022, 10:18:54 AM »

Yeah, this.  I mean, for my dad and for me (and my brother) to even know about this movie meant it was huge.  And to see it twice in the theater.. and to see people dressed up in character...  all firsts for me.  This was a massive event for the time (I was 10, by the way).

Same.  My best friend and I rode our bikes to school, and at the entrance to the tract where we lived was a gas station that had a convenience store.  We would stop and by packs of the trading cards.  It was huger than huge.

Also, regarding the part I bolded, I do NOT miss that at all.  Reserved seating is the best thing to happen to movies in my lifetime.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2022, 02:05:29 PM »
I believe the first movie I saw in a theatre was Bambi, with my dad and sister.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »
Pretty sure it was Star Wars.

I also remember seeing Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which I had zero idea of what was going on, and Superman, during which, the scene where the school bus teeters on the bridge, one of my brothers shouted out, “oh no,” and the whole theater gave a chuckle.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2022, 03:57:09 PM »
Well the facts don’t lie. I was only 8 or 9 at the time.

But I do remember that the exclusive engagement thing was a pain in the butt. I only saw Star Wars and Empire once in the theater for the sole reason that 1 theater in downtown Seattle was the only place you could see it. The UA 150! There *might* have been one other theater somewhere on the north end? But it’s been too long. I do know that Lucas had certain quality standards that apparently excluded any multiplex theater anywhere near me…but that changed with ROTJ. I remember breathing a sigh of relief that I could finally see it at the theater 10 minutes from my house instead of the 30-45 minute trip downtown (where my family generally didn’t want me venturing alone anyway)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2022, 02:30:10 PM »
......But it turns out Superman 3 was the first movie I saw in the cinema, as that came out a year before Ghostbuster (which surprised me).

And for the remainder of his life soupytwist was turned off to Super Hero films...

Superman - 1978

Now that would have been a hell of an introduction to films for a kid. I remember watching when when I was young and I bet it was the first time I saw someone in a film die (not counting everyone on Krypton, I mean someone just falling over and dying of natural causes). That really hit me hard when Mr. Kent died.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2022, 07:52:44 PM »
I love talking to my dad about old movies we saw together .  It is a connection we both love reminiscing to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2022, 04:21:44 PM »
Drive-ins were pretty popular when I was a kid, in fact I’m pretty sure we never went to an indoor theater all together that I can remember. I recall The Apple Dumpling Gang at a drive-in, that’s the earliest I can remember. Mid seventies I assume.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2022, 05:45:45 AM »
Drive-ins were pretty popular when I was a kid, in fact I’m pretty sure we never went to an indoor theater all together that I can remember. I recall The Apple Dumpling Gang at a drive-in, that’s the earliest I can remember. Mid seventies I assume.

Last one I can remember with my parents at the drive-in was Tron & Cannonball Run.  What an odd pairing to play together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »

Last one I can remember with my parents at the drive-in was Tron & Cannonball Run.  What an odd pairing to play together.

Indeed.  Also odd because they were released 13 months apart, but I remember it being fairly common back then to have a new movie paired with one that was several months old.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2022, 05:50:27 PM »
In theaters, I remember (not premieres)

- Fantasia (1940)
- The great dictator (1940)
- Lady and the tramp (1955)
- One hundred and one dalmatians (1961)
- The AristoCats (1970)

On TV we watched a myriad of old movies from silent era to golden age of pirate movies and westerns, classic horror, sci fi, B movies... We LOVE films. Of all kind.

Except musicals. We hate those ones.

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2022, 05:50:55 AM »
Without checking the release dates, I also have recollection of seeing The Rescuers, and Superman.  Don't know if it would've been in an "indoor theater" (remember, that's how they were referred to?) or the Drive-In.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2022, 11:05:17 AM »
Star Wars for me too, my dad took me to see it at a drive-in.

This was 1978, the film took so long to make it to german theaters, and I was 8 years old. Blew me away back then.

My dad wasn't big on going to the cinema, but he took me to see the next two Star Wars movies too when they were released in Germany.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2022, 03:51:46 PM »
likely 1 of following:

Star Wars (1977)
Superman 2 (1981)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Return of the Jedi (1983)

I'm certain I saw Jedi in the theater..Empire likely although I think both Star Wars and Empire stayed in theaters for quite awhile..like a couple of years perhaps, so i may have seen both after their initial box-office run per I was born in '76, and was too young to remember if/when i did go.

I do know I did see them all with my parents per my folks gave my brother and I Star Wars action figures and toys for Channukah at least 2 different years, per we had seen the movies.

I also remember seeing Superman 2 in the theater per my brother cried in the theater when Superman loses his powers.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2022, 09:11:31 AM »
I also remember seeing Superman 2 in the theater per my brother cried in the theater when Superman loses his powers.

I didn't cry but that did totally creep me out. I loved that movie but would always shield my eyes at that part.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2022, 02:57:39 PM »
If we're talking in the theater I have vague memories of being taken to see Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001). The movie has a decent cult following so I've been meaning to re-visit it sometime.

Now if we're talking in general one of my earliest movie watching experiences was my Mom popping in the VHS of Frankenstein (1931)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2022, 08:21:24 PM »
The Land Before Time

We had to leave the theater because Sharptooth scared me.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »
The first one I remember (the name at least...) was "The Love Bug" 1968

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2022, 10:54:09 AM »

If I remember right (been awhile since I heard the story) my mom's youngest sister went to see it like 27 times or something  :o.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2022, 11:54:13 AM »

If I remember right (been awhile since I heard the story) my mom's youngest sister went to see it like 27 times or something  :o.
Yeah, lots of similar stories with a lot of people.