Author Topic: What is the oldest movie you saw with your parents?  (Read 5652 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
What is the oldest movie you saw with your parents?
« on: February 03, 2022, 09:56:03 AM »
I saw Hef and Dream team talking about seeing War Games in the theaters back in the day and I made me think, what was the oldest movie, at the time you can recall your parents taking you too.

Oddly enough, my dad took me to see Tora, Tora, Tora as a 7 year old. I just remember him loving war movies and this is the oldest movie I can recall going to.  What's your recollection of the oldest film you saw in the movies.  By old, I mean in the around the time it was released, not a movie from the 40's replaying in the theaters.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What is the oldest movie you saw with your parents?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 09:58:05 AM »
I'm told that my first movie in the theaters was Benji (1974), but I was only 2 and have no memory of it.

The oldest one I remember was Star Wars (1977).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
I'm told that my first movie in the theaters was Benji (1974), but I was only 2 and have no memory of it.

I saw Star Wars 7 times in the theater.  Remember those days Hef?  Now a movie comes out on Blu Ray months after the release. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 10:03:06 AM »
First movie I ever saw in theater was with my mom. She took me to see Beauty and the Beast.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 10:04:13 AM »
I was born in late 1987 and the oldest movie I remember seeing in the theater was

Richie Rich (1994)

followed shortly after by Batman Forever (1995)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 10:04:40 AM »
First movie I ever saw in theater was with my mom. She took me to see Beauty and the Beast.

Wife and I went to see it.  We're still kids at heart.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 10:08:14 AM »
1993 I guess? My family were not movie theater goers, but that is the one and only time I remember being in a theater with my family (I was 4).

We did see a lot of old movies on TV though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 10:31:04 AM »
My father died when I was 7, and I have no recollection of him (or both my parents) ever taking me to a movie (I only have about a half dozen memories of him, and they all relate in some way to baseball).  After he died, my mother rarely (if ever) went out for entertainment.  Any time I would talk about seeing a movie, the response I would get was that it was a waste of money and that I should "wait until it comes on TV."  The first movie I know for sure that I saw in a theater was Star Wars when I was 9.  My sister (who was 11 years older than me) and her husband took me to see it at a drive-in.  Unfortunately, their daughter, who was about 6-9 months old at the time, cried a lot.  Most of my movie going experiences as a kid were courtesy of my best friend's older brother.  I often spent Friday nights at his house because that was fast-food night for them, and we'd sometimes go to movies.  Once we started getting our driver's licenses, we'd go to drive-ins a lot.

The ONLY movie I for sure remember seeing with my mother in a theater was Back to the Future.  I was just shy of my 18th birthday, and my mother was 61.  The same sister mentioned above took us.  I have no recollection of whether my mother enjoyed it.

I'm pretty sure I saw Benji at some point, but I don't recall if it was in a theater or who took me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 11:07:58 AM »
The only movie I have a memory of going to see specifically with my mom or dad was seeing 'Aliens' in the theater with my dad. That was released in 1986 so I'd have been 10.....but I know from being told that we did go see the SW movies but I would have been pretty young then.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 11:19:14 AM »
1993 I guess? My family were not movie theater goers, but that is the one and only time I remember being in a theater with my family (I was 4).

It was around, then, yeah. I think the Mighty Ducks was my second movie and that was in 1994. So that sounds about right.   

My family wasn't a movie-going family either. My mom took my sister and I to a few when we were kids. There was a tiny cinema in town that'd get movies in usually just as they were coming out or just came out on VHS. I can't remember ever being in a theater with my mom and dad at the same time. He wasn't a cinema guy at all. He probably hasn't been in 20+ years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 11:19:46 AM »
The only movie I have a memory of going to see specifically with my mom or dad was seeing 'Aliens' in the theater with my dad. That was released in 1986 so I'd have been 10.....but I know from being told that we did go see the SW movies but I would have been pretty young then.

I saw the 1st Alien movie with my dad and watched it through my fingers the whole movie.  LOL

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »

I saw the 1st Alien movie with my dad and watched it through my fingers the whole movie.  LOL

I remember seeing Independence Day in theaters and nearly shitting my pants in terror when the alien's exosuit ripped open during surgery.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 12:12:55 PM »
Not in the theater, but the first time I saw Jaws was on TV while at the beach with my family.

Ruined THAT vacation.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 12:13:59 PM »

I remember seeing Independence Day in theaters and nearly shitting my pants in terror when the alien's exosuit ripped open during surgery.

Those scene stick with you.  Salem's Lot on TV scared the living crap out of me.  I still to this day sleep with blankets wrapped around my neck.  Thanks to my dad blowing on my neck pretending to be a vampire in my youth.  He scared me.  :lol

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 12:48:07 PM »

That's the first I can remember, as well, although I know I saw it in theaters again on a later re-release, so not sure how much I actually remember of seeing it the first time. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 12:55:17 PM »

It was around, then, yeah. I think the Mighty Ducks was my second movie and that was in 1994. So that sounds about right.   

I remember when we found out Anaheim was getting a team, and people were making jokes about calling it the Mighty Ducks.  They did a poll in the local paper, and Dukes was the most popular choice (because of John Wayne and his connection to Orange County).  When they announced it would actually be Mighty Ducks, we thought it was an elaborate prank.

Those scene stick with you.  Salem's Lot on TV scared the living crap out of me.  I still to this day sleep with blankets wrapped around my neck.  Thanks to my dad blowing on my neck pretending to be a vampire in my youth.  He scared me.  :lol

The one that freaked me out the most was the ball from Phantasm.  I watched that scene about 5 years ago and couldn't believe how unbelievably cheesy it was.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 12:55:36 PM »
Ok storytime... It's my 7th birthday back in '76,and my parents were taking me and a couple of my brothers to Marriott Great America (now a six flags I think). We arrive, iys a weekday in early fall mind you, and it was fucking closed for the first week of fall weekend only hours. Yes, just like vacation, wally world was fucking closed. So to save me from a complete fucking meltdown, my parents rush us over to a local theater to see this hip new movie sweeping the nation.. Star Wars... By the end I had forgotten all about wally world.... My mind was completely blown away.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »
My first movie at the cinema was Wayne's World 1 or 2. It probably was WW 2 though since I remember seeing Mrs Doubtfire with my class that same year.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 01:59:28 PM »
I'm sure it would've been Star Wars, but I don't remember that one.  I *do* remember Empire Strikes Back.  I also remember Close Encounters of the Third Kind at the driv-in.  I did *not* get that movie.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 02:06:30 PM »
Mom took me to see The Jungle Book when it came out. I begged her to take me again that same week. I remember singing Bear Necessities in the car on the way home.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 02:21:08 PM »
at the driv-in. 

The VERY first movie I ever went to was at the drive in. I went there with my dad and came home with my mom. :zydar:    Thank goodness it was raining out and a couple teenagers got bored.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2022, 02:22:14 PM »

I saw Star Wars 7 times in the theater.  Remember those days Hef?  Now a movie comes out on Blu Ray months after the release.

Star Wars.  Also the first movie I saw more than once in the theater.   I had seen certain things in the theater before - mostly Herbie The Love Bug and things like Davy Crockett. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 02:47:34 PM »
I have a strong memory of the King Kong movie in the 70's as well with the old man.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 04:30:30 PM »
True Grit. 1969.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 05:22:02 PM »
True Grit. 1969.

Excellent movie. Dad and I watched that many times on TV.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 05:30:34 PM »
I’m pretty sure nearly everything I saw in the theater before Star Wars was not a new film.

Back in the days before home video, movies would commonly get rereleased to theaters once every few years. I remember my father taking me to see Fantasia as a child (although we left the theater for Night on Bald Mountain which he was worried would give me horrible nightmares…and at the age I was, he was probably right). Most Disney films would take a rotation of being re-released every 6-7 years or so, and I vaguely remember seeing several of those.

But the first NEW film? Ya…probably Star Wars.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 06:09:23 PM »
Born in 1976. I have the vaguest of memories of Empire Strikes Back coming out. I had a clipping from a newspaper in a scrapbook, and think we saw it at the drive-in.

For an amusing story, one time our family went to the theater, my parents watched Bull Durham and my sister and I saw something else. Our movie ended first, so somehow our mom brought us in to Bull Durham since it wasn't over yet. They didn't realize toward the end there was some hanky-panky, so quickly had to reassess their plan.

The VERY first movie I ever went to was at the drive in. I went there with my dad and came home with my mom. :zydar:    Thank goodness it was raining out and a couple teenagers got bored.....

Had to read this twice to get it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline krands85

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 06:18:12 PM »

"A regular guy from America becomes king of England after a royal wipe-out puts him next in line."

Not exactly a classic  :lol But it's the earliest one I remember for some reason. It came out in February 1991, when I was 5.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 06:25:35 PM »
I just checked a couple of dates and it seems that the very first new movie that my parents may have taken me to was actually Disney’s The Rescuers.

Star Wars was released right about the same time, but my parents had never taken me to a PG movie before and I think they waited quite some time to get some feedback from other parents before making the trip to downtown Seattle to see it with me. So I don’t think I actually saw that movie until 1978.

I’m not sure how many people know this, but when Star Wars was released, it was an “exclusive engagement”. There was only one theater in downtown Seattle and I’m pretty sure that was the only one in all of Western Washington that was showing it. My dad needed a pretty good excuse to make a trip from the suburbs to go to downtown Seattle just to see a movie (much less stand in a really long line for one). Empire was the same way. In fact I remember being particularly excited for Return of the Jedi because it was the very first of the films to actually be generally released to all the multiplexes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 06:26:22 PM »
Best guess...............E.T.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 07:17:16 PM »
I vaguely recall seeing The Land Before Time when it came out. That's the earliest one I remember.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 07:42:47 PM »
I don't remember. Could've been Dumbo or something like that but it also could've been Escape From Witch Mountain.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 08:25:50 PM »
The One-Armed Swordsman starring Jimmy Wang Yu. This was in the mid to late 60s, just prior to the big kung fu movie craze of the 70s. I remember ducking my head and averting my eyes during some of the bloodier scenes of violence.

I also remember my parents taking us kids to see Enter The Dragon at a drive-in movie theater.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2022, 10:24:18 PM »
Oldest movie memory I have is going to see What's Up Doc (1972) with my folks at the drive in. Went in an Opel station wagon (my old man had a GT). Texas Stadium used to have three screens set up in the parking lot for the 358 days a year the Cowboys weren't playing. Pretty clever, actually. I remember being pissed off that Bugs Bunny wasn't in it and falling asleep pretty damned quickly. My best guess would be 73 or 74.

After that I remember going to see Close Encounters (1977) with my mom. There were plenty of other movies around that time, but since the subject mentions the rents, that's as far back as I can recall.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 11:23:34 PM »
I rember seeing a few Tarzan movies with Johnny Weizmuller in the theater when I was a kid.
Born in 1968 so those movies were old then as well.
They were made from 1932 to 1948.