Author Topic: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)  (Read 22451 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)
« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2022, 11:54:45 AM »
Don't get me wrong--I like Transcending Time.  I just like Invisible Monster a bit more, and I think it will slay live.
Invisible Monster came across VERY good live!

Offline Kram

« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2022, 11:59:09 AM »
James was so so

This is disappointing. The videos from the Mesa show are not very flattering either.
He was better in 2019 on the DOT/SFAM tour. But he wasn't terrible by any means.  Like I said, not his best but not his worst either.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2022, 04:49:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ROXHueEAI

Sad to see so obvious lipsync by James on this.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: February 06, 2022, 07:37:36 AM »

It's certainly a bit curious from around 6m 25s to 6m 50ish. The chorus after, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2022, 07:53:01 AM »

It's certainly a bit curious from around 6m 25s to 6m 50ish. The chorus after, too.

Not sure he was lip synching so much as he was singing along with a backing track that was pretty loud. When they come out the solos around 8:30 or so, when he sings, "come shine my way," he vibratos the last word there, and when he does, you can clearly another lead vocal that sounds canned that is just as loud as his and that is separate from what he sang live. 

Honestly though, and it is sad to even say, the more backing tracks the better at this point, as JLB has sounded pretty brutal on nearly all of the live clips I have seen from these first few shows.  Feels like he has reached the state Geddy Lee did on Rush's last few tours where his live voice is mostly shot and there probably isn't much he can do about it.  Aging sucks.  :( :(

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #285 on: February 06, 2022, 08:32:28 AM »
Yeah, he's not lip syncing but they're certainly using A LOT of backing tracks in the vocal department.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #286 on: February 06, 2022, 09:05:28 AM »
Yeah, he's not lip syncing but they're certainly using A LOT of backing tracks in the vocal department.

Or it could be they're using the same amount of backing tracks but the place the camera is positioned in the theater is picking up more backing tracks than main vocals.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #287 on: February 06, 2022, 10:03:15 AM »

Or it could be they're using the same amount of backing tracks but the place the camera is positioned in the theater is picking up more backing tracks than main vocals.

Based on last night, I'd say more.  It was the first time I ever noticed it other than the obvious harmony vocal spots that JP isn't doing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #288 on: February 06, 2022, 10:46:55 AM »
It's one thing to have backing vocals high in the mix, and another to have the main vocal line playing besides James' live performance. At 6:23 of the video i posted, the only audible voice is identical to the album vocal line. For me that's an obvious playback moment, and it's the first time i've seen this in all the years i've been watching bootleg videos of DT.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #289 on: February 06, 2022, 11:08:19 AM »

Based on last night, I'd say more.  It was the first time I ever noticed it other than the obvious harmony vocal spots that JP isn't doing.

I watched two different videos of the song from two different spots. The one from the floor (where the mix is aimed) sounded much more like run of the mill average backing tracks. We gotta remember to stop putting so much stock in crappy camera videos. Granted, the discussion here is constructive and respectful but even this board (and myself) can fall into the trap of "too quick to criticize without context"

That said, you may be right but I'm just not entirely convinced yet.

Offline Kram

« Reply #290 on: February 06, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »

Not sure he was lip synching so much as he was singing along with a backing track that was pretty loud. When they come out the solos around 8:30 or so, when he sings, "come shine my way," he vibratos the last word there, and when he does, you can clearly another lead vocal that sounds canned that is just as loud as his and that is separate from what he sang live.

Honestly though, and it is sad to even say, the more backing tracks the better at this point, as JLB has sounded pretty brutal on nearly all of the live clips I have seen from these first few shows.  Feels like he has reached the state Geddy Lee did on Rush's last few tours where his live voice is mostly shot and there probably isn't much he can do about it.  Aging sucks.  :( :(
It's what you said here Kev in the bold part.  He's singing along to a backing track that is loud in the mix.  This is the show I was at and it was very noticeable.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:25:31 AM by Kram »

Offline Kram

« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »

I watched two different videos of the song from two different spots. The one from the floor (where the mix is aimed) sounded much more like run of the mill average backing tracks. We gotta remember to stop putting so much stock in crappy camera videos. Granted, the discussion here is constructive and respectful but even this board (and myself) can fall into the trap of "too quick to criticize without context"

That said, you may be right but I'm just not entirely convinced yet.
No I was there (San Diego) and PG is right.  Much more noticeable than ever before with DT.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »
On a more positive note, I'm enjoying this full video performance of the new epic a lot :metal :metal :metal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNpxCGb9Dg
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2022, 05:50:03 PM »
I have to say, I’m REALLY happy with the new setlist. Be only slightly happier with it if IM was rotating. I feel like Transcending Time will still make an appearance before this tour’s fully over.

Definitely praying that the whole *cough cough* thing decides fo  :chill so I can actually see this thing in Australia. Still really  :censored ing mad that we missed out on Distance and Scenes.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2022, 09:18:11 PM »
Wow.. Arch Echo was fucking tight  :omg:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2022, 12:12:10 AM »
Solid performance overall, band sounded amazing as usual, really loved JM being so up front in the mix. 5th row seats thanks to my brothers friend bailing last minute. JLB sounded decent overall, had a few missteps but handled the material well. Actually thought he sounded better on the older tracks tbh, especially 6:00 and Endless Sacrifice (except when he choked on his own spit mid verse  :lol )

Count of Tuscany was worth the price of admission on its own though, so happy with my last minute decision to go.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2022, 01:09:20 AM »
Solid performance overall, band sounded amazing as usual, really loved JM being so up front in the mix. 5th row seats thanks to my brothers friend bailing last minute. JLB sounded decent overall, had a few missteps but handled the material well. Actually thought he sounded better on the older tracks tbh, especially 6:00 and Endless Sacrifice (except when he choked on his own spit mid verse  :lol )

Count of Tuscany was worth the price of admission on its own though, so happy with my last minute decision to go.

:tup :tup

The set was way worth the price and made up for the show being postponed. I had fun singing along to the chorus of 6:00 and it's ending verse.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #297 on: February 07, 2022, 05:34:44 AM »
(except when he choked on his own spit mid verse  :lol )

Oof, I would hate to have that happen to me as a singer in front of so many people. Sounds awful and kind of embarassing, but there's only so much you can do about it at the same time haha.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #298 on: February 07, 2022, 05:47:30 AM »
Wow.. Arch Echo was fucking tight  :omg:

So glad they're getting this exposure opening for DT. I saw them open for Tony Macalpine (and a couple of them pulled double duty in his backing band) a couple years ago and was seriously impressed.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #299 on: February 07, 2022, 06:22:46 AM »
(except when he choked on his own spit mid verse  :lol )

Oof, I would hate to have that happen to me as a singer in front of so many people. Sounds awful and kind of embarassing, but there's only so much you can do about it at the same time haha.

He even said it right in the middle of the verse... 'oof. Choked on my fucking spit'  :lol

Hopefully someone posts it, twas fucking priceless

Offline genome

« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2022, 07:02:41 AM »
Surprised they're not doing some of the unplayed DOT songs, like S2N.

Online DTA

« Reply #301 on: February 07, 2022, 09:47:37 AM »

I can't believe Surrender to Reason is still unplayed. I'm not liking the overall disregard for the Mangini era albums beside the album they're touring for.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »
Steve Vai was spotted at the LA concert :hefdaddy

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #303 on: February 07, 2022, 06:11:47 PM »

I can't believe Surrender to Reason is still unplayed. I'm not liking the overall disregard for the Mangini era albums beside the album they're touring for.

I really hope that the next tour (between this and DT16) gives us basically a Mangini only setlist. It’s been eleven years and five albums since he joined and there’s some great stuff they’ve put out.

Something by Two Steps From Hell as the intro, kick off with Lost Not Forgotten, Surrender to Reason, Moment of Betrayal, get a lot of the great ones in there. End the main set with View From the Top of the World, encore with Barstool Warrior and Breaking All Illusions. Might make a thread about this at some point, but the Mangini era deserves fuller representation than it’s had.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 07:38:42 PM by Deadeye21 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #304 on: February 07, 2022, 11:15:39 PM »
To further chime in on the vocals, yeah, there is a backing track that is much more prominent than what I have seen (heard) them use before.  It isn't lip synching. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #305 on: February 08, 2022, 01:50:37 AM »
To further chime in on the vocals, yeah, there is a backing track that is much more prominent than what I have seen (heard) them use before.  It isn't lip synching.

Having backing track on the main vocal line is a bit too much in my opinion. And the particular point i mentioned in Bridges in the Sky i couldn't even hear James' live voice, only the backing track which is the studio line.

Seeing some other videos, like the following from Endless Sacrifice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfxuGb4AxG0

You can still hear the main line as well as James' voice, during the chorus (where he chooses some alternate vocal lines on the "moments wasted, isolated" part) but again the studio vocal of the main part is pretty loud in the backing track.

But there are points where to me it seems that he's not even singing:
https://youtu.be/pwgute4kFoI?t=471

I'd prefer the band downtuning songs if James can't reach them, age is always brutal with voice and i don't expect James to be like he was 30 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:01:33 AM by nikatapi »

Offline cminor

« Reply #306 on: February 08, 2022, 02:45:21 AM »
Having backing track on the main vocal line is a bit too much in my opinion. And the particular point i mentioned in Bridges in the Sky i couldn't even hear James' live voice, only the backing track which is the studio line.

I have to agree. It's not just the backing vocal track (which I guess a lot of bands use these days?), it's also how dominant it seems to be in the mix. This starts to take away the live experience. To me the song doesn't have to sound like the studio version at all.

I also wonder what the decision-making process was before the tour. For example, ATC and BITS were last played in 2015, but definitely without the pre-recorded backing vocals. IMHO it even sounded better without any backing vocals there.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #307 on: February 08, 2022, 03:41:20 AM »
I am afraid that the jig is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQzaLEuWdhk - 6:39

The chorus in Bridges in the sky really does look like it features lip synching. James looks like he's hiding away from the audience so he doesn't get caught. As much as I love Dream Theater, I don't know if lip synching by the main singer is something I can stand behind.

This reminds me of Geoff Tate lip synching over Empire ten years ago. It's slightly disappointing seeing James going that way as well. I would like to see this addressed in an interview or a Q&A with the fans, becaue I would at least try to understand why James would opt for this solution.

Had he decided to let the audience sing the entire chorus or change the vocal melody, that could be justified. This way, with all due respect from a fan who spent an enormous amount of money on the band and attended seven shows over the last 13 years, all in foreign countries, I don't think it's particularly respectful to the audience to pretend you're singing when you're not. After all, it's James LaBrie, one of the greatest singers of all time. The fans hold him to a higher standard.

Of course, I am ready to be put in my place if anyone cares to justify this and has an insight into the decision.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #308 on: February 08, 2022, 03:51:04 AM »

The chorus in Bridges in the sky really does look like it features lip synching. James looks like he's hiding away from the audience so he doesn't get caught. As much as I love Dream Theater, I don't know if lip synching by the main singer is something I can stand behind.

Weird… i see it in part of here, the “at last the time has come”, but then he clearly isn’t lipsynching for the “Shaman take my hand”, as he kinda overdoes that main high note. It’s a weird spot to do it. But he definitely seems to be trying to hide away from the quiet part. Unless he’s just taking a weird stance and we’re reading it wrong. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: February 08, 2022, 04:00:03 AM »
It's like he's taking a break to try and save something for the money shot line.

The thing is, what's the solution?  A band like DT so far in their career.  They can't change singers.......can they?  Not tour at all?  Detune everything so it so low it's unrecognisable?  Become LTE? 

It's a shit situation but there's no clear cut answer.  It's just a sad situation for James and the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #310 on: February 08, 2022, 04:14:33 AM »
I haven’t seen video of Bridges from any other show, and there’s reports that he had the flu for this one. Do we know if this is just this one, or if it’s been throughout the entirety of the tour.

And again. THAT MOMENT!! He hits harder stuff in so many of these songs (and we know it’s not lipsynced) that for it to be this moment throws me.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #311 on: February 08, 2022, 05:00:47 AM »
It's an obvious playback/lip-sync moment.
And it was not on that night only.

https://youtu.be/OQh5Xpvefwg?t=398

Kinda sad, i don't know why this particular line gives James trouble.

Offline Kram

« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2022, 11:23:54 AM »

Weird… i see it in part of here, the “at last the time has come”, but then he clearly isn’t lipsynching for the “Shaman take my hand”, as he kinda overdoes that main high note. It’s a weird spot to do it. But he definitely seems to be trying to hide away from the quiet part. Unless he’s just taking a weird stance and we’re reading it wrong.
That is kind of odd that he's lip syncing to a lower vocal line there - strange indeed..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2022, 11:42:57 AM »
I still don't see "lip synching."  As mentioned above, I see/hear him singing along with a vocal track that is way too high in the mix and him cutting off his vocal line early. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »
I still don't see "lip synching."  As mentioned above, I see/hear him singing along with a vocal track that is way too high in the mix and him cutting off his vocal line early.

Yeah, the only time I really saw it happen was at the beginning of Alien, it seemed almost out of sync, otherwise it was fairly seamless. It was James being James... There were other soft, melodic vocal parts that he nailed, so I don't see why the one from Bits is singled out.