Author Topic: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)  (Read 22560 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Mesa, AZ 2/2/2022 - Mesa Arts Center (Setlist Spoilers)
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2022, 06:16:44 PM »
I think possibly the strangest thing about this list is nothing from DOT and only a single song from the four MM-era albums prior to View.
I tend to agree with this as well.  I mean, if they were trying to not overlap any songs from last tour, all they had to do was play a song from DOT that they did not play last tour.

EDIT They're playing Bridges in the Sky, that's a Mangini tune.

Right.  Hence, "only a single song from the four MM-era albums prior to View."
LOL yes you certainly did say that.  I apologize.  This old man needs to get his eyes checked and some new glasses haha

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2022, 06:45:35 PM »
Looking at the clips on youtube from last night's show, it seems that JM is a lot closer to the front of the stage than usual. Isn't he usually a few more steps back?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2022, 06:51:24 PM »
Looking at the clips on youtube from last night's show, it seems that JM is a lot closer to the front of the stage than usual. Isn't he usually a few more steps back?
Didn't look any different to me. Perhaps it's because the stage appears to be so bare bones, with MM's kit being so small, JR not having extra toys on stage other than his main rig, and JP not having any amps on his side? Reminds me of how their stage looked when they played Chile in 2005.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2022, 06:52:50 PM »
Didn't look any different to me. Perhaps it's because the stage appears to be so bare bones, with MM's kit being so small, JR not having extra toys on stage other than his main rig, and JP not having any amps on his side? Reminds me of how their stage looked when they played Chile in 2005.

Yes! And I love that rig. I like the setup here as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2022, 07:04:26 PM »
The other thing I'm noticing is that I don't hear the canned JLB vocals in the choruses.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2022, 07:13:24 PM »
The other thing I'm noticing is that I don't hear the canned JLB vocals in the choruses.

What are canned vocals?

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2022, 07:19:01 PM »

I also thought it looked like JM was closer to the edge on the side than he normally is. Does that wording make sense? Like petrucci was closer to the center than myung was. If so I’m down. Cause I’m gonna be on the myung side edge.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2022, 07:22:29 PM »

What are canned vocals?

They've been playing prerecorded vocals of James in the choruses recently.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2022, 07:26:50 PM »

What are canned vocals?

Ah, gotcha. I see.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2022, 09:59:41 PM »
Anyone know what the merchandise situation looks like or have pictures?

As much as I hate to say it, I never went over to the merch booth, so I don't know.  I thought that Ben checked it out and said there wasn't much.  ???

There are

A Zip-up Hoodie
Long sleeve Shirt with Your dates and picture of band in front
Album cover tour T-shirt
A black shirt with a pink design of balloons ( I think this is a Womens shirt, unless I am wrong, I didn't bother to ask)
Beanie
Tour Poster
Signed Vinyl
Hat
Keychains

Ah, I guess its too early for tour books.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 10:16:44 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2022, 10:19:46 PM »
The more I realize how amazing Tuscany really is, the more this setlist excites the hell out of me.
The only issue is that this setlist is too short, but that's what having an opening band does. The songs they selected are all top tier IMO. Nice that this setlist seems more geared towards hardcore fans.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2022, 01:57:53 AM »
Seems odd to me that they'd completely ignore their two most universally loved releases (I&W and SFAM).  Wanted to give others some love I guess.

ODD????????? They just played them in entirety last two tours. :facepalm:

I get it, but some fans like me are late to the party and didn't see those shows.  I didn't expect a ton, but more than 0.

And there you go. That's why Maiden have played the same bloody songs in the latter half of every set since time immemorial. I get it but ugh.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2022, 07:06:44 AM »
Watched a little bit of video clips (don’t want to spoil things too much for myself) and James looked and sounded great. I’m glad he isn’t dying his hair jet black like he did on the last tour. He just looks healthier now.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2022, 07:20:28 AM »
Watched a little bit of video clips (don’t want to spoil things too much for myself) and James looked and sounded great. I’m glad he isn’t dying his hair jet black like he did on the last tour. He just looks healthier now.

Yes, he looks much better. Just need to work on JP now. He'd look far cooler owning the grey fur and beard look :biggrin:

(No, I've no idea why I'm commenting on this!)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2022, 09:02:24 AM »
The more I realize how amazing Tuscany really is, the more this setlist excites the hell out of me.
The only issue is that this setlist is too short, but that's what having an opening band does. The songs they selected are all top tier IMO. Nice that this setlist seems more geared towards hardcore fans.

The set isn't too short.

I am actually glad the band decided to play a lot of their 10+ minute songs. That is something I did not expect.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2022, 09:06:30 AM »
Seems odd to me that they'd completely ignore their two most universally loved releases (I&W and SFAM).  Wanted to give others some love I guess.

ODD????????? They just played them in entirety last two tours. :facepalm:

I get it, but some fans like me are late to the party and didn't see those shows.  I didn't expect a ton, but more than 0.

And there you go. That's why Maiden have played the same bloody songs in the latter half of every set since time immemorial. I get it but ugh.

Keyword there is expect.

I for one, do not go into a show expecting to hear my favorite song. That's usually because my favorite songs tend to be not the fan favorites.

And newer fans should expect that some older, classic, songs will not be played live anymore. Especially if the band is far down the age line.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »

What are canned vocals?

Not just the choruses.  Some of his vocal harmonies on verses and other parts are sometimes present as well, just VERY low in the mix.  I wouldn't have known if not for the fact that James didn't initially come out for soundcheck at the d/t show I was at, and with the band running through some songs without him singing lead, I could hear the backing vox.  (could also confirm that JP's mic was on, and also VERY low in the mix, and that he therefore was not lip synching as I remember some idiots saying awhile back)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2022, 09:53:02 AM »
I'll be surprised if we see any songs rotated.  I don't see them swapping out any of the older songs (I doubt they'd rehearse songs that long only to play them every other night), and I don't see any of the new songs being ones they'll swap out either.
More likely indeed. But I still think there’s a chance of rotating IM with ATC or TT. It would be nice also with ATM/SG, but I really don’t think they would do that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online pg1067

« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2022, 09:57:21 AM »
Is it true that unless they are featuring a whole album they never choose a song where Portnoy wrote the lyrics?

No, that's not true. They played TROAE on the ADTOE tour and TSF on the DT12 tour.

They've played tons of songs with MP lyrics.

They played The Root of All Evil, War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All on the ADTOE tour.

They played Strange Deja Vu, Finally Free, The Mirror and The Shattered Fortress on the DT12 tour.

They played Constant Motion, Burning My Soul and parts of A Change of Seasons on the 30th Anniversary tour

The played all of A Change of Seasons on the I&W and Beyond tour (while they played an entire album on that tour, ACOS isn't from that album).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »

The set isn't too short.

I am actually glad the band decided to play a lot of their 10+ minute songs. That is something I did not expect.

I guess I just feel like at the last tour, the show was what, 2.5-3 hours long? Still felt super short because of how good it was. So 2 hours I'm afraid will fly by. Did it feel like it went by super fast?
Regardless, I too am very happy with this being mostly longer songs. Love how they're using the 2 hours.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2022, 11:38:03 AM »

The set isn't too short.

I guess I just feel like at the last tour, the show was what, 2.5-3 hours long? Still felt super short because of how good it was. So 2 hours I'm afraid will fly by. Did it feel like it went by super fast?
Regardless, I too am very happy with this being mostly longer songs. Love how they're using the 2 hours.

It didn't feel like it to me because of how long the songs were.  I didn't even realize how many songs they played, until after the show.

I was too busy enjoying myself because the non-view songs were songs I enjoy a lot.

I was happy they played ES, ATC, TMOLS, BITS, and TCOT in one show. And also getting to hear two 20 min epics.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2022, 12:11:58 PM »

The set isn't too short.

It didn't feel like it to me because of how long the songs were.  I didn't even realize how many songs they played, until after the show.

I was too busy enjoying myself because the non-view songs were songs I enjoy a lot.

I was happy they played ES, ATC, TMOLS, BITS, and TCOT in one show. And also getting to hear two 20 min epics.

Great to hear. I’m very excited to see this setlist in a few weeks no doubt.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2022, 04:46:28 PM »
Anyone know what the merchandise situation looks like or have pictures?

As much as I hate to say it, I never went over to the merch booth, so I don't know.  I thought that Ben checked it out and said there wasn't much.  ???

There are

A Zip-up Hoodie
Long sleeve Shirt with Your dates and picture of band in front
Album cover tour T-shirt
A black shirt with a pink design of balloons ( I think this is a Womens shirt, unless I am wrong, I didn't bother to ask)
Beanie
Tour Poster
Signed Vinyl
Hat
Keychains

Do you remember which signed vinyl was for sale and the approximate price? Thanks for the response !

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2022, 08:53:14 PM »
According to setlist.fm, there's been some interesting changes to the setlist so far:
Innocence Faded instead of 6:00 and Answering the Call instead of Awaken the Master.

:corn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2022, 08:55:58 PM »
According to setlist.fm, there's been some interesting changes to the setlist so far:
Innocence Faded instead of 6:00 and Answering the Call instead of Awaken the Master.

:o :o :o

That's awesome!!

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2022, 08:57:05 PM »

Wait... what?
Doesn't the show not start until 8 PM California time?

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2022, 09:00:35 PM »
I see that on setlist.fm. But again, pretty sure the Archo Echo opener doesn't even start until right around now.
I'd be way jealous if other people got Innocence Faded and I got 6:00. They've played 6:00 a lot in the past. Why not let everyone hear Innocence Faded?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2022, 09:06:13 PM »

Wait... what?

I guess I've been trolled by some "funny" setlist.fm users :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2022, 09:10:38 PM »

Wait... what?

I guess I've been trolled by some "funny" setlist.fm users :'(

I'm sorry if I sounded rude or something, just genuinely confused about what's going on.
I hope it's fake cause if they switch every other show I'll miss out on Innocence Faded LOL
Sorry if you were hyped and it does end up being fake.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2022, 09:14:15 PM »
I'd be way jealous if other people got Innocence Faded and I got 6:00. They've played 6:00 a lot in the past. Why not let everyone hear Innocence Faded?

It would be nice. I could be wrong but I don't think it's something James could handle on a consistent basis. Unless he altered the vocal line in the 2nd verse. Even when they brought it back in 2006, it was played sparingly over the last two or three weeks of the tour and he struggled with it then. Of course, getting sick around that time didn't help him.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2022, 09:18:28 PM »

It would be nice. I could be wrong but I don't think it's something James could handle on a consistent basis. Unless he altered the vocal line in the 2nd verse. Even when they brought it back in 2006, it was played sparingly over the last two or three weeks of the tour and he struggled with it then. Of course, getting sick around that time didn't help him.

Definitely could be impossible or very hard for him to do every night. Probably his hardest song of all time if I had to guess. Which is why missing it would be a bummer. Doubted they'd ever even do it again. If they play it I might have to catch another show with that setlist, LOL

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2022, 09:25:45 PM »
They better not fuck with count of Tuscany.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2022, 09:27:29 PM »

They switch out Tuscany with Anna Lee, so on top of missing Tuscany and getting Anna Lee, you get a way shorter show
It's a lesson about how life isn't fair, and it makes people buy more tickets hoping to catch Tuscany at another show

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2022, 09:28:10 PM »

They switch out Tuscany with Anna Lee, so on top of missing Tuscany, you get a way shorter show
It's a lesson about how life isn't fair, and it makes people buy more tickets hoping to catch Tuscany at another show

Shush you

Octavarium would be the only acceptable substitute

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »

They switch out Tuscany with Anna Lee, so on top of missing Tuscany, you get a way shorter show

Shush you

Octavarium would be the only acceptable substitute

Lol yeah that previous post of mine was just me joking around
I agree that Octavarium would be the only acceptable substitute, but I think they'd do Octavarium every night if they were gonna bust it out.