Author Topic: Spotify  (Read 8901 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Spotify
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2022, 04:42:23 PM »
I thought it was a Shield/Hydra conversation on Spotify really.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2022, 04:42:39 PM »
OK

Most people do not gaf about the Rogan/Young/Spotify story.

If Spotify goes down, or other boomer musicians leave, and a stigma begins to surround Spotify, it could cause a problem for many younger musicians as they likely do not have the financial freedom to just leave Spotify, as the boomer musicians had the luxury of album sales and marketing in the 20th century that younger musicians do not get to reap the benefits of. I thought the record companies have more say and control over the whole thing, but this Neil Young thing makes me wonder... Spotify may not be the only music platform, but they are the most popular one, and while other platforms might pick up the pieces, the popularity will be splintered among the half dozen other ones.

A positive side effect could be younger musicians getting their own streaming platform, but most young people prefer one or two apps, and don't want an app for every artist they enjoy.

While I use Spotify to search for new music, I would not lose sleep if all streaming platforms disappeared and younger people had to go back to buying CDs and records to listen to music.

Online Harmony

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2022, 04:43:29 PM »
I've deleted all the derailing nonsense about COVID conspiracy theories. There is plenty of room for that in the political & religious board.

The subject of this thread could not be clearer from the OP.

If certain individuals try to derail this thread again they can look forward to a week off.

Thank you.   :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline darkshade

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2022, 04:44:17 PM »
Again, as I posted before, I did not post any theories about covid.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2022, 04:44:28 PM »
Ariich makes it ariight!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2022, 04:44:42 PM »
https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/spotify-loses-4-billion-in-market-value-following-neil-young-controversy

This is the goal - Spotify is losing stock value (just read a minute ago, they are down 25% in January 2022 alone).

The article also mentions that Rogan has 11 million listeners while Neil Young has 6 million, which is why they haven't dropped Rogan.   

My sense is there's a big difference between these two kinds of listeners - a good portion of Rogan's would likely leave Spotify if he left Spotify for another platform (ie, the primary reason they are Spotify users is because of the JRE - *that's* the reason Spotify pays him $100M - these are Rogan's customers ... not Spotify's.  Spotify is just a platform for Rogan).  On the other hand, I suspect the 6M NY listeners listen to a lot of shit, and most will remain Spotify users even without Young.  Those listeners are Spotify customers, not NY customers.

Exactly. Spotify knew what they were doing by acquiring a deal with hosting The Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

But yet, people are still utilizing Spotify so it doesn't really make a difference is what I am meaning. As long as Music consumers want music for free, they will continue to use the platform that is well known and trusted to use, such as Spotify.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2022, 04:45:17 PM »
This pretty much describes me.

EDIT: Like, literally I don't even know who Joe Rogan is.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2022, 04:45:39 PM »
I use Spotify for finding new music to buy.  I love it as a tool like that.  Maybe I'm old as most younger generations don't like physical copies of their music.

For me, it's like the radio.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2022, 04:46:18 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2022, 04:48:15 PM »

You never watched Chappelle's Show?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2022, 04:54:34 PM »

He was on News Radio and Fesr Factor on USA TV.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2022, 04:56:30 PM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2022, 05:01:38 PM »

He has a podcast and gives a lot of dumb conspiracy nonsense a platform. I think he was also a wrestling guy or something?

I heard someone say once that Joe Rogan was astrology for men and I really feel that.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2022, 06:33:56 PM »
Leaving the Rogan aspect aside, would you consider leaving Spotify (if you could...many are reporting they cannot cancel their accounts without pulling their credit card info) if you thought about how terrible they are at paying the musicians and artists we all know and love a fair price for their music?

Trying to get this thread back on track... I use free Spotify sparingly. If I want to listen to something new, I will go here or YouTube. My daughter plays Spotify sometimes, but not more than an hour a week I imagine. I never really considered their business practices. Maybe that is naive of me. They provide a service and I subscribe accordingly. If they went to a pay only model, I do not think I would sign up, just because we don't use it enough to warrant it. We have considered signing up for Amazon music because my daughter just got an Echo/Alexa, but I need to see if she would use it enough.

And an open question... what is the "fair price" and who is going to decide that? Is that up to the consumer?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Skeever

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2022, 07:04:49 PM »
Rogan sucks.

Anyway, cancelled Spotify Premium after nearly a decade of it today.
The app had been performing worse, I've heard way too many stories about how poorly it treats artists, and the latest nonsense was just the last straw. Why continue to support an app that (in my view) shortchanges artists to make investments in meathead contrarians like Rogan?

I was interested in trying Tidal anyway. Could be Placebo, but the first impressions are very good and the sound quality really does sound quite a bit better.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2022, 08:28:04 PM »
One last post before this gets locked tomorrow morning.

Good try Harmony.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2022, 08:34:12 PM »
One last post before this gets locked tomorrow morning.

Good try Harmony.

:lol

Just read Joni Mitchell is joining young in solidarity. Still not enough to get me to dump Spotify and the free Hulu that goes with it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2022, 08:34:59 PM »
I wouldn't even know what to do with a free Hulu.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2022, 08:38:02 PM »
Please say sike...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2022, 08:39:11 PM »

Those rabbit ears can't get Hulu.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2022, 08:42:30 PM »

Those rabbit ears can't get Hulu.

Even if I wrap them in tin foil??

Everyone needs to hear the new Ereb Altor album BTW!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2022, 08:45:54 PM »
Is that band pro vaccine or not?  Lol

I kid!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2022, 08:47:04 PM »
 :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2022, 08:48:36 PM »
I just saw that Brene Brown made some ambivalent announcement she wasn't releasing any podcasts "until further notice".  Can't help but wonder if it's related to this.

Now, if more and more big names start pulling their content, it's gonna put Spotify in a hard place.  There's a number of content creators somewhere between "no one else" and "everyone except Joe Rogan" that will force some kind of action by Spotify.  I mean, what if one or more of Adele, Drake and The Weeknd (sp??) were to make similar ultimatums as Neil Young?  That's when it could get interesting.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2022, 09:01:29 PM »
Idk Chad. Rogan is the #1 podcast on Spotify.   Brene Brown doesn't crack the top 50. It would take many big time podcasts to drop to force their hands.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2022, 09:05:06 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:28:14 AM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2022, 09:11:28 PM »
Man the goalposts have shifted so much I feel like I'm playing a different sport with every post. I don't even like sports.

Actually on topic for once though, I kind of doubt many other big names do a Neil Young. In general I think people prefer money over principle.

Online Harmony

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2022, 09:15:26 PM »
Peter Frampton and Nils Lofgren now too.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2022, 09:44:25 PM »
I was just reading a piece that said whereas Spotify loses money on each Neil Young play, they make it on Rogan. The podcast is a more profitable model for their seems. m

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2022, 12:37:59 AM »
I'll post links showing all those stories were debunked, but why waste the time and effort when most of this page will be deleted again?
If you knew it would be deleted then you also knew you were doing exactly what I said not to do.

You were being somewhat bated by others, so you have one last chance.

Everyone, knock it off.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2022, 04:17:31 AM »
Not really sure what to add here with what I know.  I don't use Spotify so I don't really care.  I've watched some bits and pieces of Rogan's podcasts and he comes across like a bit of a douche but truthfully, I don't mind him.  Don't really care what his views are and find it hard to understand artists pulling their stuff from a platform that Rogan is on just because of different views and opinions.

Saying that, looks like the artists pulling their stuff on Spotify don't really need the money they'd get from it anyway.  But seriously, who the fuck that uses Spotify is using it to listen to Neil Young or Joni Mitchell!

If I were a young band getting some clicks and a couple of bucks and trying to make it big time, I'd share the platform with Hitler doing podcasts for all I cared.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2022, 05:15:40 AM »
Idk Chad. Rogan is the #1 podcast on Spotify.   Brene Brown doesn't crack the top 50. It would take many big time podcasts to drop to force their hands.

I’m with ya, i was just using what I saw from her as the premise of ‘what if more big names started doing this?’

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2022, 07:02:00 AM »
Couldn't Spotify have struck some sort of compromise where they removed the Rogan podcast episode in question? I don't see why Spotify should have to remove him completely.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2022, 07:17:16 AM »
That's not what people want these days Tim.  If their core beliefs don't match up with his core beliefs, you wipe them off the face of the earth.  Instead of not watching or listening to that person. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2022, 07:31:31 AM »
I don't really see a problem with artists not wanting to have their music on a platform that stands behind an opinion they consider going strongly against their own views. Personally I don't get too offended over other people having other opinions but a lot of people seem to get worked up about that. I also think that the fact it's Neil Young and Joni Mitchell (so far at least) is a bit of a generational thing. Neil Young has never been afraid to voice his opinions and the man has written protest songs in the past. These artists have a background of standing up against things they don't agree with and in the year of 2022 that happens to take the form of pulling their music from Spotify.