Author Topic: Spotify  (Read 8899 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Spotify
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2022, 08:12:55 AM »
Yeah... Think it's the beginning of the end for Joe. Video released of him excessively using the N word... Spotify silently pulled a shit ton of his episodes. Curious to see how this plays out...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2022, 08:21:55 AM »
Bruce Dickinson mentioned it at least twice in his spoken word thing this past Saturday.  Both times in passing, and both times as a sort of snide joke.

Care to share how that event went?  If not here maybe in the IM thread?  I'm curious, I was on the edge to go last Friday but my friend opted out and with the weather and the rest of my weekend plans, figured it was best to not go. 

Online Harmony

« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2022, 09:58:08 AM »
Yeah... Think it's the beginning of the end for Joe. Video released of him excessively using the N word... Spotify silently pulled a shit ton of his episodes. Curious to see how this plays out...

Well....if you believe Daniel Ek, then it wasn't Spotify who removed the 113 episodes.  It was Rogan who removed them.

Spotify Team,

There are no words I can say to adequately convey how deeply sorry I am for the way The Joe Rogan Experience controversy continues to impact each of you. Not only are some of Joe Rogan’s comments incredibly hurtful – I want to make clear that they do not represent the values of this company. I know this situation leaves many of you feeling drained, frustrated and unheard.

I think it’s important you’re aware that we’ve had conversations with Joe and his team about some of the content in his show, including his history of using some racially insensitive language. Following these discussions and his own reflections, he chose to remove a number of episodes from Spotify. He also issued his own apology over the weekend.

While I strongly condemn what Joe has said and I agree with his decision to remove past episodes from our platform, I realize some will want more. And I want to make one point very clear – I do not believe that silencing Joe is the answer. We should have clear lines around content and take action when they are crossed, but canceling voices is a slippery slope. Looking at the issue more broadly, it’s critical thinking and open debate that powers real and necessary progress.

Another criticism that I continue to hear from many of you is that it’s not just about The Joe Rogan Experience on Spotify; it comes down to our direct relationship with him. In last week’s Town Hall, I outlined to you that we are not the publisher of JRE. But perception due to our exclusive license implies otherwise. So I’ve been wrestling with how this perception squares with our values.

If we believe in having an open platform as a core value of the company, then we must also believe in elevating all types of creators, including those from underrepresented communities and a diversity of backgrounds. We’ve been doing a great deal of work in this area already but I think we can do even more. So I am committing to an incremental investment of $100 million for the licensing, development, and marketing of music (artists and songwriters) and audio content from historically marginalized groups. This will dramatically increase our efforts in these areas. While some might want us to pursue a different path, I believe that more speech on more issues can be highly effective in improving the status quo and enhancing the conversation altogether.

I deeply regret that you are carrying so much of this burden. I also want to be transparent in setting the expectation that in order to achieve our goal of becoming the global audio platform, these kinds of disputes will be inevitable. For me, I come back to centering on our mission of unlocking the potential of human creativity and enabling more than a billion people to enjoy the work of what we think will be more than 50 million creators. That mission makes these clashes worth the effort.

I’ve told you several times over the last week, but I think it’s critical we listen carefully to one another and consider how we can and should do better. I’ve spent this time having lots of conversations with people inside and outside of Spotify – some have been supportive while others have been incredibly hard, but all of them have made me think.

One of the things I am thinking about is what additional steps we can take to further balance creator expression with user safety. I’ve asked our teams to expand the number of outside experts we consult with on these efforts and look forward to sharing more details.

Your passion for this company and our mission has made a difference in the lives of so many listeners and creators around the world. I hope you won’t lose sight of that. It’s that ability to focus and improve Spotify even on some of our toughest days that has helped us build the platform we have. We have a clear opportunity to learn and grow together from this challenge and I am ready to meet it head on.

I know it is difficult to have these conversations play out so publicly, and I continue to encourage you to reach out to your leaders, your HR partners or me directly if you need support or resources for yourself or your team.

Daniel

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/spotify-joe-rogan-daniel-ek-1235087928/

So, I'm having a bit of trouble here.  I'll just say up front, that I don't care if Rogan stays on Spotify.  That is a business decision.

But what I don't get is why Rogan is taking down podcast episodes if he is such a champion of *free speech (or certainly that is how his supporters see him)?  Does he stand by the arc of his career and his new platform on Spotify to learn/educate himself and his audience or is he now ashamed of his growth and unable to use his rather large voice to amplify his POV?  I mean, this could be a teachable moment.  Rogan could make it that if he wanted to.  But no....he just wants to scrub clean his history.  I wish I could say I was surprised but...

*I understand this whole issue has nothing to do with "freedom of speech" in America.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2022, 10:09:33 AM »

Very hard to say. Depends on what cancellation clauses are in the contract. If Spotify could cancel the contract without paying Rogan more money I feel like they would have already done it.

So, I'm having a bit of trouble here.  I'll just say up front, that I don't care if Rogan stays on Spotify.  That is a business decision.

But what I don't get is why Rogan is taking down podcast episodes if he is such a champion of *free speech (or certainly that is how his supporters see him)?  Does he stand by the arc of his career and his new platform on Spotify to learn/educate himself and his audience or is he now ashamed of his growth and unable to use his rather large voice to amplify his POV?  I mean, this could be a teachable moment.  Rogan could make it that if he wanted to.  But no....he just wants to scrub clean his history.  I wish I could say I was surprised but...

I think Rogan's too nice. It might also depend on the terms of his contract. Depending on the specific language, even if Spotify isn't allowed to censor his content, they might still be able to try and worm their way out of it if they cancel his contract and want the money back.

*I understand this whole issue has nothing to do with "freedom of speech" in America.

It has everything to do with it. Free speech is not just what's in the constitution it's a cultural value. In a functioning society, the professional political actors trying to agitate for Rogan's cancellation would be ignored, shamed, and mocked into irrelevance.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Harmony

« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2022, 10:30:09 AM »
Freedom of Speech as it pertains to the US Constitution is where the GOVERNMENT stops speech through legal means/imprisonment etc.  Nobody in this scenario is being stopped from speaking.  Nobody is going to jail.  Rogan is free to say what he wants.  Spotify is free to make business decisions.  Consumers are free to pay for a service or not.  Musicians and podcasters are free to list their catalogues with them or not.

Once again for the umpteenth time, this is capitalism.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2022, 11:27:39 AM »
Freedom of Speech as it pertains to the US Constitution is where the GOVERNMENT stops speech through legal means/imprisonment etc.  Nobody in this scenario is being stopped from speaking.  Nobody is going to jail.  Rogan is free to say what he wants.  Spotify is free to make business decisions.  Consumers are free to pay for a service or not.  Musicians and podcasters are free to list their catalogues with them or not.

I find it beyond hysterical that the libertarian minded folk on my social media are humping the free speech leg on this subject while flying the free market flag in other posts. They just can't see it.
Once again for the umpteenth time, this is capitalism.  Nothing more, nothing less.

One bazillion percent agree.

I didn't know it wasn't spotify that pulled them, that makes a big difference. If Rogan is truly sorry and wants to amend the situation, that'd be a great start. I heard some of the clips they compiled, and they don't sound good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2022, 11:41:52 AM »
No matter what the context is, I would never use that word.  As a white guy, you should know better have that work come out of your lips.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2022, 11:44:34 AM »
He just addressed that recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57eCxR7quFc
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 11:50:19 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2022, 11:53:40 AM »

In context, out of context, as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't be said—I'm not looking for him to lose his gig (way too much of that lately), but everything that's happened in the past few weeks only reaffirms my total lack of desire to ever listen to his podcast.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »

In context, out of context, as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't be said—I'm not looking for him to lose his gig (way too much of that lately), but everything that's happened in the past few weeks only reaffirms my total lack of desire to ever listen to his podcast.

Even before the events of last year, it shouldn't be said. After, there's absolutely no excuse for it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #185 on: February 07, 2022, 12:54:16 PM »
But for all this, it's wildly arbitrary how all this "capitalism" gets applied.   The fact of the matter is, we're only as good as our worst moment, and whether there are actual repercussions or not, there IS a chilling effect.  Even here, in the NFL thread, I kept on with the discussion, but there were very clearly people who were uncomfortable with doing so because the very act of the discussion had (non-capitalist) baggage they weren't willing to carry.  I've already been called a racist here, and while it hurt (deeply) it is what it is, and I know when I put my head on the pillow my conscience is clean in how I treat people, how I evaluate people, and how I include people in my life.  These things we call "identity politics" are not a factor, and the topics that merit discussion don't change that.  But I can't imagine a way I could convince EVERYONE of that, and not be subject at some point to the arbitrary whims of those with an axe to grind or a point to prove.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2022, 01:02:55 PM »
I've already been called a racist here, and while it hurt (deeply)

Being called racist at this point is meaningless. Nothing to be offended by.
Over and over again

Online Skeever

« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2022, 01:16:25 PM »
But for all this, it's wildly arbitrary how all this "capitalism" gets applied.   The fact of the matter is, we're only as good as our worst moment, and whether there are actual repercussions or not, there IS a chilling effect.  Even here, in the NFL thread, I kept on with the discussion, but there were very clearly people who were uncomfortable with doing so because the very act of the discussion had (non-capitalist) baggage they weren't willing to carry.  I've already been called a racist here, and while it hurt (deeply) it is what it is, and I know when I put my head on the pillow my conscience is clean in how I treat people, how I evaluate people, and how I include people in my life.  These things we call "identity politics" are not a factor, and the topics that merit discussion don't change that.  But I can't imagine a way I could convince EVERYONE of that, and not be subject at some point to the arbitrary whims of those with an axe to grind or a point to prove.

This is really what you think of the discussion we were having in the NFL thread?
You coulda said something, instead of this passive aggressive shit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2022, 03:13:36 PM »

This is really what you think of the discussion we were having in the NFL thread?
You coulda said something, instead of this passive aggressive shit.

No, there's nothing passive aggressive.  There's no problem with the NFL thread; I posted my mind and stand by it.  I thought it was a relatively good discussion, frankly.   What I was referring to was a more general thing. There are a LOT of people that won't even DISCUSS race, because there are too many assumptions that go along with it. I think the roll call of who was in that NFL discussion supports that a bit, and more generally, I've seen that.  There are situations where if you don't acknowledge certain aspects of the race narrative - the systemic aspect, the outcome based analysis, the narrative point of view - it's enough to cross into "racist" territory.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2022, 05:51:27 PM »

Context is important, I'd be a bit bummed if I was called a racist here compared to someone on twitter.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2022, 06:58:29 PM »

I suppose what one person says is ultimately meaningless. Sticks and stones...

But some people take their dignity seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Harmony

« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2022, 07:41:41 PM »

Bold 1 - There is a "chilling effect" no matter how you look at it.  Each decision made by each player in this scenario is taking a risk of bad publicity and being thought of in a negative light.  Even publicly ridiculed.  Not just for Rogan.

Bold 2 - Curious statement.  I mean I get that nobody wants to be called a racist or even thought of as a racist.  But you yourself have repeatedly put forth your support for people being able to think for themselves and make their own decisions.  So doesn't that include being able to have an "axe to grind" about whatever it is they feel strongly about?  If someone is looking at all the data points on say Covid vaccine safety and opts to not get vaccinated, that is their choice.  Just like if someone is looking at all the data points on Rogan and opts to believe he is racist and not want to be associated with him, that is also their choice.

What am I missing?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2022, 06:41:13 AM »

Bold 1 - There is a "chilling effect" no matter how you look at it.  Each decision made by each player in this scenario is taking a risk of bad publicity and being thought of in a negative light.  Even publicly ridiculed.  Not just for Rogan.

Bold 2 - Curious statement.  I mean I get that nobody wants to be called a racist or even thought of as a racist.  But you yourself have repeatedly put forth your support for people being able to think for themselves and make their own decisions.  So doesn't that include being able to have an "axe to grind" about whatever it is they feel strongly about?  If someone is looking at all the data points on say Covid vaccine safety and opts to not get vaccinated, that is their choice.  Just like if someone is looking at all the data points on Rogan and opts to believe he is racist and not want to be associated with him, that is also their choice.

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything, except that it's a slippery slope between "thought" and "action". We can, and should, think for ourselves, and allow others to think for themselves.  We can't all and always ACT however we want.  That's what laws and regulations, and social norms are for.   Particularly in the race arena, there's this narrative subtext that to not act is to acquiesce.   It's one thing to just quietly decide to forgo Joe Rogan; it's another thing to make that decision into something more.  If I forgo Rogan, am I obligated to inform others?  Convince others to do the same?   To many, it IS an obligation.   What if I don't forgo Rogan?  Does that make me complicit in racism?  To many, it does.   You don't have to go far into the political field to find someone that believes ANY support of Trump - or really, any LACK of support for the Democratic challenger - is "supporting racism" (or whatever other evil misdeed you're attributing to him at that moment).   Over the years, I've given a number of reasons why that's not true, but it persists.   

And then there's the whole psychological game that gets played; it's toned down a bit over the last couple years, but for a while there, anything that wasn't in perfect time with the accepted narrative but that tried to find a middle ground was "gaslighting".   As if it's impossible to agree in degrees.  At another site I used to visit, there was one poster that couldn't go a week without accusing me of "gaslighting" him; it was as if he was actually SCARED of ideas that didn't conform neatly to his worldview. As if contrary ideas WERE an abuse, were an attack.

Even then, it's the dissemination of ideas; if someone thinks I'm a racist and wants to put it out there to debate, so be it.  Let's go; impossible to prove the negative, but at least there's a counterbalance, and everyone ELSE can make informed decisions for themselves.  But it changes subtly but definitively when it turns into a crusade, and the other side isn't given that opportunity in the crucible.  With identity politics in general, and racism in particular, the discussions seem to morph very quickly away from actual debate and into action.  That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Online Harmony

« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
You're not missing anything, except that it's a slippery slope between "thought" and "action". We can, and should, think for ourselves, and allow others to think for themselves.  We can't all and always ACT however we want.  That's what laws and regulations, and social norms are for.   Particularly in the race arena, there's this narrative subtext that to not act is to acquiesce.   It's one thing to just quietly decide to forgo Joe Rogan; it's another thing to make that decision into something more.  If I forgo Rogan, am I obligated to inform others?  Convince others to do the same?   To many, it IS an obligation.   What if I don't forgo Rogan?  Does that make me complicit in racism?  To many, it does.   You don't have to go far into the political field to find someone that believes ANY support of Trump - or really, any LACK of support for the Democratic challenger - is "supporting racism" (or whatever other evil misdeed you're attributing to him at that moment).   Over the years, I've given a number of reasons why that's not true, but it persists.   

And then there's the whole psychological game that gets played; it's toned down a bit over the last couple years, but for a while there, anything that wasn't in perfect time with the accepted narrative but that tried to find a middle ground was "gaslighting".   As if it's impossible to agree in degrees.  At another site I used to visit, there was one poster that couldn't go a week without accusing me of "gaslighting" him; it was as if he was actually SCARED of ideas that didn't conform neatly to his worldview. As if contrary ideas WERE an abuse, were an attack.

Even then, it's the dissemination of ideas; if someone thinks I'm a racist and wants to put it out there to debate, so be it.  Let's go; impossible to prove the negative, but at least there's a counterbalance, and everyone ELSE can make informed decisions for themselves.  But it changes subtly but definitively when it turns into a crusade, and the other side isn't given that opportunity in the crucible.  With identity politics in general, and racism in particular, the discussions seem to morph very quickly away from actual debate and into action.  That's the point I'm trying to make here.

That's a whole lot of worry/concern over things you don't have the power to change.  My advice to you is to "tend your own garden."   ;)

Seriously though - if someone you barely know thinks that by continuing to listen to Rogan makes YOU a racist then doesn't that say more about them than you?  I mean...wouldn't you have thoughts/ideas about the kind of person who actually would do that?  (Idiot, misguided, mob follower, crusader - probably more.) Rightly or wrongly?  It seems to me like a 2-way street of judgments about one another, TBH.  I'm certain if you and I traded a list of everything we've been called or labeled on social media we'd probably loop around to the same ones eventually.  Just today I was told I'm a member of "cancel culture" (talk about a bumper sticker label being bandied about without hesitation today) when I have absolutely no desire to see Rogan "cancelled" in any way.  This was merely because I asked a question, "Why is Joe scrubbing his podcasts if he's all about free speech?"  I mean, I can't let it bother me.  Like you, I know who I am and I don't get at all upset by some stranger's opinion when they don't know the first thing about me.  If I did, I'd never dip my toe in the social media sphere at all.

As for discussions morphing away from debate and into action, that shit happens all day/every day.  Book burning anyone?  How about threatening the life of a public figure?  How about storming a capital building?  How about looting a store to stick it to the man?  How about picketing a women's health care clinic?  How about camping out in front of Wall Street?  I mean...I could go on and on but this country was founded on this type of action, wasn't it?  We may not always like the discussion at hand, but the ability to morph from discussions into action was pretty much the inspiration for movements like women getting the right to vote and civil rights laws and many other things.  I may be bordering on hyperbole here but when you (general you) try to limit "action" then you de facto are limiting a form of speech.  Personally, I don't like that books are being burned in Texas.  I think it's beyond ridiculous, TBH.  But I'm not about to tell someone they don't have the right to be stupid.  I mean, joke is on them.  It just makes people want to buy and read those books more.

I'm certain it's the same with Rogan.  The more attention the issue gets, the more attention his platform gets.  So in a sense, his form of discussion has led to a course of action by some (Young, et al) which has caused some folks to take action by leaving the platform but it has also cause MORE folks to tune into Rogan's show.  Somehow I think Rogan and Spotify are going to be just fine.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »

That's a whole lot of worry/concern over things you don't have the power to change.  My advice to you is to "tend your own garden."   ;)

I've been accused on more than one occasion of over-thinking things.

Seriously though - if someone you barely know thinks that by continuing to listen to Rogan makes YOU a racist then doesn't that say more about them than you?  I mean...wouldn't you have thoughts/ideas about the kind of person who actually would do that?  (Idiot, misguided, mob follower, crusader - probably more.) Rightly or wrongly?  It seems to me like a 2-way street of judgments about one another, TBH.  I'm certain if you and I traded a list of everything we've been called or labeled on social media we'd probably loop around to the same ones eventually.  Just today I was told I'm a member of "cancel culture" (talk about a bumper sticker label being bandied about without hesitation today) when I have absolutely no desire to see Rogan "cancelled" in any way.  This was merely because I asked a question, "Why is Joe scrubbing his podcasts if he's all about free speech?"  I mean, I can't let it bother me.  Like you, I know who I am and I don't get at all upset by some stranger's opinion when they don't know the first thing about me.  If I did, I'd never dip my toe in the social media sphere at all.

You're not wrong, at least about it letting it bother you.  But I feel like I have to test the water and know the temperature.  I remember being at college and sitting in my friend's room where we would always congregate, and there were a couple people that would come in, and when they'd leave someone would flip the bird, or throw a beer can or something, and it stuck with me.  I always wanted to be true, be authentic, but also not be oblivious. You know that saying, if you can't find the fish (sucker) at the poker table, it's you? (There are a 100 variations on that).  We all lose perspective at times, every single one of us, and I'm very conscious of that.

As for discussions morphing away from debate and into action, that shit happens all day/every day.  Book burning anyone?  How about threatening the life of a public figure?  How about storming a capital building?  How about looting a store to stick it to the man?  How about picketing a women's health care clinic?  How about camping out in front of Wall Street?  I mean...I could go on and on but this country was founded on this type of action, wasn't it?  We may not always like the discussion at hand, but the ability to morph from discussions into action was pretty much the inspiration for movements like women getting the right to vote and civil rights laws and many other things.  I may be bordering on hyperbole here but when you (general you) try to limit "action" then you de facto are limiting a form of speech.  Personally, I don't like that books are being burned in Texas.  I think it's beyond ridiculous, TBH.  But I'm not about to tell someone they don't have the right to be stupid.  I mean, joke is on them.  It just makes people want to buy and read those books more.

I'm certain it's the same with Rogan.  The more attention the issue gets, the more attention his platform gets.  So in a sense, his form of discussion has led to a course of action by some (Young, et al) which has caused some folks to take action by leaving the platform but it has also cause MORE folks to tune into Rogan's show.  Somehow I think Rogan and Spotify are going to be just fine.

And I know you're right, because I've said the same thing in the context of both the 2016 election and January 6th.  Absent the criminal behavior on the 6th, there mechanics are the same - I still maintain 2016 wasn't about 35 million people waking up and realizing they were "racist" as much as it was a huge fuck you to being told that not only are they not important enough to merit a "special interest" but they were "deplorable" to boot.   I can't and won't speak for you, but there are clearly people that aren't all that willing to slough those events off.  I just think with these "actions as free speech" there's a lot of tactics involved here (i.e. short term thinking) and not a lot of strategy here (i.e. long term thinking).  We're 330 million who each have equal claim to that free speech thing, regardless of what party we're in and regardless of how deplorable we are, and yet... that doesn't always feel like it's the case.  You undoubtedly could point to people whose economics don't seem to get them the same leverage, and I would undoubtedly point to people whose identity politics demographic doesn't seem to get them the same leverage, and we'd both be right.  So what's the answer?  Just accept that this is the way it is and breath deep?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2022, 07:45:47 PM »

There goes all the hip-hop albums hosted on Spotify...

George Carlin used the N word in his comedy routine at least once... the real N word, with an 'R' at the end, you know, "that authentic American language."
I guess he's out too or at least the album/special he used it in should be removed from Spotify.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:11:24 PM by darkshade »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2022, 07:50:14 PM »
^
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:09:46 PM by darkshade »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2022, 06:00:11 AM »

George Carlin used the N word in his comedy routine at least once... the real N word, with an 'R' at the end, you know, "that authentic American language."
I guess he's out too or at least the album/special he used it in should be removed from Spotify.

*ring ring*

It's the 2020s calling.  Please come join us.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2022, 07:42:01 AM »
Whatever; I'm not naive and I don't live in a bubble.  But scrubbing the "n-word" from the language hasn't moved the needle one iota in the war against racism, and in fact, I would argue that it's probably inhibited progress to at least some small degree.  It's just one hammer, one tool that the minority group has to continue the divisiveness by building resentment over what has little to do with ACTUAL racism.   I know people here on this forum that have used the n-word in various contexts and I know for a fact they are no more racist than the keyboard I'm typing on right now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2022, 08:31:01 AM »
I don't think Rogan is a racist at all, and never was.  At worst, he's a bit of a doofus.  But he's just a guy with no agenda.

Neil Young and the rest who left Spotify aren't doing anything other than pissing off their fans who like to listen to them on Spotify.  It's important to choose your battles, and this was the wrong one.  Going to such extremes only drew more attention to Rogan, much like banning (or burning) books only causes sales of that book to go through the roof.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2022, 07:45:36 AM »
Aaaaaaand Neil Young is back on Spotify. I'm happy about this because Like a Hurricane is a good song.

It's almost like this had nothing to do with any principled opinion and was a coordinated political attack.
Over and over again

Online Harmony

« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2022, 06:03:41 PM »
So what's the answer?  Just accept that this is the way it is and breath deep?

What makes you think I have any answers?   :-\ :laugh:

Seriously though, you've said it yourself...many times.  330 million people all have their POV, all have their voices, all have their feet to choose where they stand.  It may feel like it isn't an even split between factions.  It may feel like people just make knee/jerk decisions and don't stop and think about consequences or even educate themselves on any given topic at hand.  But in the end, it doesn't matter how we feel about it.  What matters is that outside of trying to move the needle a little bit (in the way we handle ourselves in discussions and the way we reach out to those we don't agree with) there is only so much we can do.  I try to pick my battles.  Somedays I don't succeed in that, but it helps to keep that perspective.

You certainly learn to better appreciate deeper understandings that can be reached with others and productive conversations that can be had sometimes.

And keep breathing.   :chill

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2022, 06:15:26 PM »

*ring ring*

It's the 2020s calling.  Please come join us.

Right?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2022, 10:12:47 PM »
Aaaaaaand Neil Young is back on Spotify.
But but but but he said Spotify could only have him OR Joe - NOT both! Did Joe leave?!?!    ::)
:loser:

So did the rest of the bonehead artists that followed suit like Joni and CSN all get back on Spotify, too?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2022, 10:45:21 PM »
Aaaaaaand Neil Young is back on Spotify.
But but but but he said Spotify could only have him OR Joe - NOT both! Did Joe leave?!?!    ::)
:loser:

So did the rest of the bonehead artists that followed suit like Joni and CSN all get back on Spotify, too?

lol Joni Mitchell's also back don't know who CSN is.
Over and over again

Offline Awaken

« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2022, 04:36:27 AM »
crosby stills nash - and yes, they appear to be available, as well

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2022, 07:23:12 AM »
I don't see his music, nor do I see any article on it? (aside from some songs of his that are part of soundtracks/compilations)

Online Skeever

« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2022, 07:29:22 AM »
Well, I'm definitely not going back. As I said earlier, I'm generally not a supporter of boycotts of any kind, but I wasn't aware how much the market had changed. There are other services that are just as good, if not better, than Spotify now.  I've settled on Tidal, which not only sounds a good bit better, but the app works a lot better too. A few friends on Apple Music also don't appear to ever be going back. There's no reason to keep sticking with the same company if there's better options out there.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2022, 08:16:23 AM »
Well, I'm definitely not going back. As I said earlier, I'm generally not a supporter of boycotts of any kind, but I wasn't aware how much the market had changed. There are other services that are just as good, if not better, than Spotify now.  I've settled on Tidal, which not only sounds a good bit better, but the app works a lot better too. A few friends on Apple Music also don't appear to ever be going back. There's no reason to keep sticking with the same company if there's better options out there.

We are also switching (family account), Spotify is more expensive and of worse quality than than competitors. While I enjoy the interface and browsing on Spotify, ultimately I only care about the music.

Online Skeever

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2022, 08:23:46 AM »

We are also switching (family account), Spotify is more expensive and of worse quality than than competitors. While I enjoy the interface and browsing on Spotify, ultimately I only care about the music.

Tidal is very similar. Actually, it reminds me of Spotify before so much of the app became dedicated to podcasts. I don't care much about podcasts (and have always found Spotify's podcast section on Andriod at least to be very buggy), so I'm happy to just continue listening to podcasts on Castbox and keeping Tidal for music. Tidal also gives you your monthly stats, which is really cool, much better than the one thing Spotify kinda give you at the end of the year.